It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee,

I am curious as to what factual information led you to this conclusion. I can see a lot of the the reasoning ( don't agree with it, but can see it ) in concluding there is no creator, but would like to follow your line of reasoning specifically. Thanks! =)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well thanks for replying.

See I believe that everything is energy as well, I just believe that this energy can be perceived as a spirit and can in fact ascend into higher plains, or heaven as some call it.

there's a quote that has stuck with me

“You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by SpearMint

I'm not defending Christians. Christians irritate me too. Atheists are starting to irritate me more than Christians.

I have to agree with this. I can't stand organized religion, but some Atheists have a tendency to be annoying too. There are Atheists who aren't like this of course, but then there are also the hardcore militant ones who will purposely go out of their way to start a big argument. I remember one time years ago when I was playing an online multiplayer game, and I witnessed an Atheist arguing with two Christians for THREE hours! They weren't even trying to convert him or anything, he was the one prodding at them over and over.

The ironic thing is, they will complain about Christians trying to convert them, but they are actually doing the same thing when they look for an argument.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by twistedlogic
reply to post by Annee

Annee,

I am curious as to what factual information led you to this conclusion. I can see a lot of the the reasoning ( don't agree with it, but can see it ) in concluding there is no creator, but would like to follow your line of reasoning specifically. Thanks! =)

The only creator to me would be the beginning of energy consciousness.

Which I do not consider to be a god

I definitely do not believe in a god. I'm more in the thinking of "visitors" - - man mistook for a god.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce

“You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”

I was raised with this thinking in the 50s.

I was raised with power of positive thought.

I think there is a lot we don't know.

I'm thrilled with the diminished power of religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

50s? jeez some of you folks on here make me feel like a small baby

No offense to you in any way though Annee.

I also actually respect your thinking, so many people (christians, atheists, etc) throw around stuff as fact, and get mad when someone says something other than what they believe.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Annee,

The only creator to me would be the beginning of energy consciousness.

Which I do not consider to be a god

I definitely do not believe in a god. I'm more in the thinking of "visitors" - - man mistook for a god.

errrr.... what do you mean by energy consciousness? Like the point at which organisms became complex enough to be aware of themselves or what?

And not trying to be a stickler, but my mind works very analytically, again what factual information brought you to conclude that there is no deity behind the existence of our universe? Because that is what an atheist believes, is it not?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

hmmm tis a sad day. I understand the decline in religion without a doubt, religion sucks nuts. But to believe there is nothing behind all of this?

I am a man of science and it is not religious text that makes me believe there is something behind this, but observation and analysis.

I'm not even going to try to provide any definitive evidence, because there is none. But would like to voice a non religion based belief in a creator. I used to question if there was a creator or not, but after delving into the realm of physics and chemistry ( like going to school for it, not just reading about it, still in school for some of it so don't quiz me too hard if theres any physics pro trolls out there ^_^ ) I have come to the conclusion that there must be something behind what we call our reality.

I see too much beauty and intricacy in the way things interact for this to have happened out of chance. I'm not talking about the chance of life in all the countless galaxies and solar systems ( yes i do believe there to be vast amounts of life elsewhere in our universe, not our creator though, i believe it/him/her/whatever to exist outside our realm of existence, able to manipulate our dimensions of reality; existing in different dimensions than what we can observe ) but the chance for the laws of physics and the way chemicals react with each other to have played out the way it did. There was only one shot at that, only one set of rules that all matter must act by, and it worked in its one chance, and provides us all the majesty and wonder we observe in our reality today. Religion? Hell no! ( tehehe, hell....no religion...irony... get it... sorry -_- ) Chance? Not a chance.... Something that exist outside of what we can observe setting this in motion? Very plausible.

Just my two cents anyways. Not trying to prove I'm right or anything, just providing an alternative perspective, for it is through different perspectives that we can find common truth.

Annee,

So you see where I am coming from incase you missed it. When i say creator i am not claiming any god of any religion, but portraying a deity that exist outside our dimensions that put all this into motion.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Some of the posters here talk about God and then talk about religion.

Some of the posters here give thought to why one should believe in a creator. Fine. I hear you on that. But that's a very different stance then an argument for why dogmatic religion represents the mind of God.

So please be honest. Please be genuine with the extent of your arguments. It's one thing to present a rational argument for the belief in God itself...one cannot from that alone attribute the legitimacy of dogma.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by Annee

50s? jeez some of you folks on here make me feel like a small baby

No offense to you in any way though Annee.

I also actually respect your thinking, so many people (christians, atheists, etc) throw around stuff as fact, and get mad when someone says something other than what they believe.

Thanks - I try to be logical.

The only problem I have with any belief - - is when you try to control others with it.

In America - - - Right Wing Fundamental Christians try to control others. They still seem to believe America is a Christian nation and should be under Christian control. They are (at least in part) descended from the Puritans.

It took me 60 years to claim Atheist. It is the result of what I didn't find - - in searching religious beliefs.

I fully support more people taking this journey and finding the same results (or non).

Statistics seem to support they are.

edit on 16-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Good. The human race is becoming more intelligent.

And the times are obviously getting better.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There may be hope for our species after all. I hope for a day when people don't kill each other over imaginary friends. you're all equally crazy so stop hitting each other!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It is not breaking news this has occurred in the past. Many people should realize how civilizations go through cycles but none of you will get it and never be aware of it. Above your heads.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

but none of you will get it and never be aware of it. Above your heads.

But of course it's not above your head.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

It is not breaking news this has occurred in the past. Many people should realize how civilizations go through cycles but none of you will get it and never be aware of it. Above your heads.

This sites mission is to deny ignorance, not perpetuate it.....

If you have some insight on a subject, please share it, don't mock yourself and others with your arrogance.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
All part of the antichrists plan: eliminate god, encourage mass murder, immorality, homosexuality. the exact opposite of the teachings of god and his prophets. What is the opposite of the teachings of the prophets: the antichrist. he is working behind the scenes and the groundwork has been laid for his materialization into our universe.

the antichrist exists as a result of god..... i don't know what else to say.....
mass murder at it's MOST MASSIVE has ALLWAYS been taken out IN THE NAME OF GOD!
tell me what is more immoral than molesting children?
and for your information in ancient cultures such as japan you were considerd to be living the life of the brave and fearless if you were homosexual, just sayin

God and his prophets teachings are to be interprited by the individual, and of course the oposite of the prophets teachings is the antichrist, hence the name..... yeah.....

can't wait til he rocks up, gonna be a blast

Light, Love, and all that crap....

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InfiniteConsciousness

Constant hangings, crucifixions, whippings, drownings, towards anyone that wasn't religious? I think so.

Don't shoot the messenger

edit on 16-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
This is what happens when you start showing more science programs on tv.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by musashi9
This is what happens when you start showing more science programs on tv.

yeah people start learning and thinking for themselves! its a fantastic revolution! you can be a person of god and a person of science at the same time, why not take a piece of all the pies.....mmmmm pie......

Love,Light, and all that crap....

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join