It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nessie hunter snaps 'monster' after 26 year wait

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Caligo

Originally posted by Caligo
I agree that it looks like a big carp. Are there any of those in the Loch?

I went to go look, and surprisingly found this:

Seals

A number of photographs and a video have confirmed the presence of seals in the loch, for up to months at a time.[85][86] In 1934 the Sir Edward Mountain expedition analysed film taken the same year and concluded that the monster was a species of seal, which was reported in a national newspaper as "Loch Ness Riddle Solved – Official".[87] A long-necked seal was advocated by Peter Costello for Nessie and for other reputed lake-monsters.[88] R.T. Gould wrote "A grey seal has a long and surprisingly extensible neck; it swims with a paddling action; its colour fits the bill; and there is nothing surprising in its being seen on the shore of the loch, or crossing a road."[16] This explanation would cover sightings of lake-monsters on land, during which the creature supposedly waddled into the loch upon being startled, in the manner of seals.[88] Seals could also account for sonar traces that act as animate objects. Against this, it has been argued that all known species of pinnipeds are usually visible on land during daylight hours to sunbathe,[89] something that Nessie is not known to do. However seals have been observed and photographed in Loch Ness and the sightings are sufficiently infrequent to allow for occasional visiting animals rather than a permanent colony.

Link.

Now, I'm thinking about those markings again!

EDIT:

SEALS IN LOCH NESS

BINGO! After looking at quite a few seals that could be found in the area, I can't rule it out. The markings seem to point in that direction. The proportions and angles of the mass seem consistent.

What do you all think?
edit on 3-8-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Caligo

Originally posted by Caligo
I agree that it looks like a big carp. Are there any of those in the Loch?

I went to go look, and surprisingly found this:

Seals

A number of photographs and a video have confirmed the presence of seals in the loch, for up to months at a time.[85][86] In 1934 the Sir Edward Mountain expedition analysed film taken the same year and concluded that the monster was a species of seal, which was reported in a national newspaper as "Loch Ness Riddle Solved – Official".[87] A long-necked seal was advocated by Peter Costello for Nessie and for other reputed lake-monsters.[88] R.T. Gould wrote "A grey seal has a long and surprisingly extensible neck; it swims with a paddling action; its colour fits the bill; and there is nothing surprising in its being seen on the shore of the loch, or crossing a road."[16] This explanation would cover sightings of lake-monsters on land, during which the creature supposedly waddled into the loch upon being startled, in the manner of seals.[88] Seals could also account for sonar traces that act as animate objects. Against this, it has been argued that all known species of pinnipeds are usually visible on land during daylight hours to sunbathe,[89] something that Nessie is not known to do. However seals have been observed and photographed in Loch Ness and the sightings are sufficiently infrequent to allow for occasional visiting animals rather than a permanent colony.

Link.

Now, I'm thinking about those markings again!

EDIT:

SEALS IN LOCH NESS

BINGO! After looking at quite a few seals that could be found in the area, I can't rule it out. The markings seem to point in that direction.

Great find!

I wonder if seals have always been occasionally found in the Loch. It certainly wouldn´t be the first time seals inspire lake or sea monster legends.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Here is an other article in a UK paper. The top picture gives a better idea of size. The Loch is about 1 mile wide and it is about probably the same again or a little more as the crow flys to Urquhart Castle from Temple Pier.
The article says that the photos went to a US military monster expert for verification. Didn't know there was one of those.

Yes it is possible for seals to make it into the loch. I have seen them swim up the River Ness following the salmon upstream
edit on 3-8-2012 by froglet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Caligo

The last link I posted says:

Common or Harbour Seals Phoca vitulina L. have a well-known habit of exploring up rivers and in northern Canada permanent populations of Common Seals live in freshwater lakes 300 km inland from the sea (Mansfield, 1967; Hewer, 1974; King, 1983). About 100 seals, both Common Seals and Grey Seals Halichoerus grypus Fabricius, live in the sea near Inverness. Individual seals of both species can regularly be seen 1 km up the River Ness in the middle of Inverness town, especially at high tides.

Between November 16, 1984 and June 11, 1985, a seal was seen in Loch Ness by myself and other people. Photographs were taken (Figs 1 and 2). The seal was identified as a Common or Harbour Seal Phoca vitulina by its head profile, with turned-up nose by its grey colour with black spots and by its estimated length of 1.8m. The other species of seal found around Scotland, the Grey Seal, has a long straight nose, like an Alsatian dog.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Caligo

The last link I posted says:

Common or Harbour Seals Phoca vitulina L. have a well-known habit of exploring up rivers and in northern Canada permanent populations of Common Seals live in freshwater lakes 300 km inland from the sea (Mansfield, 1967; Hewer, 1974; King, 1983). About 100 seals, both Common Seals and Grey Seals Halichoerus grypus Fabricius, live in the sea near Inverness. Individual seals of both species can regularly be seen 1 km up the River Ness in the middle of Inverness town, especially at high tides.

Between November 16, 1984 and June 11, 1985, a seal was seen in Loch Ness by myself and other people. Photographs were taken (Figs 1 and 2). The seal was identified as a Common or Harbour Seal Phoca vitulina by its head profile, with turned-up nose by its grey colour with black spots and by its estimated length of 1.8m. The other species of seal found around Scotland, the Grey Seal, has a long straight nose, like an Alsatian dog.

Sorry! I didn´t see it.

Reminds me of another recent "sea monster sighting" that also ended up being a Grey Seal. I actually identified it before "experts" did, although of course, no one ever knew XD

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Caligo

Well, I certainly learned something new.

Now looking at the pictures again, I can completely see that it might just be a seal.

Never knew they would be in the Loch.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I did some research and big carp have also been seen in the Loch so maybe we shouldn´t ignore the possibility that both animals (and perhaps other sorts of fish as well!) have played a part in the Nessie thing.
Once people are told there's a monster in a lake, they will see monsters everywhere. I know the local people at the local lake do.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is why I love ATS.

Gives me a chance to think about stuff, I otherwise ordinarily wouldn't!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

True, but it was fourteen centuries ago. More likely than not it was not the Loch Ness Monster. Also considering that there was no reports of anything like that since then until 1933. I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, though.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson69
reply to post by loam

26 years for that lousy photo....what a waste of a life

One liner! Give me stars!

I'm guessing you have not seen other pictures of "Nessie"?

Carp, seal or not looks better than grainy logs. Good "hobby" find, nonetheless.
edit on 3-8-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Couple of things I question about this story.... (some of my questions may be answered in the full story, but I dont have time to go read the full thing)

1) if this was taken in november, why wait this long to release the picture?

2) why is thete only 1 pic if this thing moved accross the water?

3) if taken with a digital camera, then there is a chance the camera had movie mode. Why no video?

4) if you have been seeking the monster for 26 years, would you not be better equiped than a singke camera which gets a single shot??

Just too many things wrong with thus fir my liking

Also, one last point... If this guy has been searching for nessie for 26 years, wouldnt he also be aware of the seals, and have already dismissed that, or consudered it? Would be different if this was a quick snap by a tourist, but this guy will know the waters, and the different life found in them.

Too much wrong with thus pic and the guys story, but dont believe it is seals.

This is no smoking gun, and the case us still open as far as im concerned

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorganAlice
reply to post by Chamberf=6

True, but it was fourteen centuries ago. More likely than not it was not the Loch Ness Monster. Also considering that there was no reports of anything like that since then until 1933. I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, though.

The road that goes around Loch Ness was constructed in the 20's and 30's for the most part. Before that travel down the Loch was done on steamers. Cameras were fairly rare as well as cars in the area before the 30's so it is not surprising that there is little photographic evidence before the 30's

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hmmm. With the "castle" framed in the background...I wish I was wrong, but I'm going with the LOG ness monster.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I live near the loch, and see it most days. I''ve seen logs in the water before. I don't think this is a log, it is the wrong shape, has no branches.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by froglet
I live near the loch, and see it most days. I''ve seen logs in the water before. I don't think this is a log, it is the wrong shape, has no branches.

Would you say it looks like a carp/seal? Have you seen big carp?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm not an expert fisher woman, but I know people who do fish, and can't remember hearing of any big carp getting caught, lots of salmon, trout and pike. Seals are not unknown in the loch, but are hard to spot. The loch is about 20 miles long and about a mile wide. I am on the fence as to whether there is a "monster" A lot of the sightings such as those from tourists or those from people with a monetory intrest in Nessie, I would tend to dismiss. It is harder to dismiss the reports of those who are local and don't have anything to gain. A lot of these sightings are not necessarily reported in the press.
edit on 3-8-2012 by froglet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by froglet

Well do you know any locals who have seen it or claim to have seen it? As in, believable locals.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yes several, most locals don't want to say anything about iy as they get laughed at as being drunk or for believing in mythical creatures or for trying to fool the tourists. But I know several locals who claim to have seen something. Even one of the monks at the abbey in Fort Augustus claimed to have seen something

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by froglet

I would say bring a camera/video camera tomorrow to the loch. If you see it most days you might be able to make some $$$ off your shots.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Actually, it can be quite difficult to get down to the loch, the sides for the most part are very steep, and heavily wooded. I might have to get out my black wet suit and go for a swim. Should be a whole lot of new monster siteings after that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join