It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The best response that I can give to the concept of gun control is

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Come and take them"

If you want my firearms then you are welcome to try and take them.

Self defense is a BASIC human right.

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, at any time, and with utter recklessness." - The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
People commenting here for stricter gun control laws FAIL to realize the only reason for the 2nd Amendment is so people can be armed to the teeth against a tyrannical government. When they come for you you'll at least have a chance to survive. If the citizens aren't armed then the country will be the target for when/if government decides to come calling for you. What's frustrating it many people think it will never ever happen in America, they have ZERO sense of history and are in utter denial.

Bottom line: The 2A is aimed at the government. Not for hunting deer.
edit on 21-7-2012 by WillHal1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The county, were the shooting occurred, has some of the toughest gun regulations. The theater had a "no guns allowed" policy. The thing is that, when Maniacs want to kill a bunch of Innocent people they go to "gun free zones". I have a CHL and I carry everywhere except, where prohibited. I don't go to gun free zones because, I
would be defenseless and I don't want to be caught defenseless. If you are in a situation where someone starts
shooting Innocent people, it's already too late for the Police to help. You must do what you have to do to protect yourself and your family.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

In Rwanda, a bunch of people were tied to railroad tracks and run over with a train.

What do you want to ban next, mass-transit?

It's not about guns. It's about people.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I usually just browse this website and read through the threads, but I finally made an account just for this.

I read through the first 7 pages of this thread and I am absolutely disgusted at some of you ignorant people. I am from Mississippi, and I ask you, when the # has a "redneck" EVER committed a mass murder? You gun control people time and time again have mentioned "crazy rednecks holding on to their guns". I assume you are talking about Southern and country folk in general. You have obviously never been to the South and have never met a "redneck". I personally am not very fond of them myself, but you people are sooooo ignorant and calling people rednecks makes you just as much of a bigot as someone calling people 'n-word's. A lot of rednecks DO like to fight (which annoys the # out of me) and their are very RARE incidents of shootings usually spawned by alcohol consumption and a verbal argument. Usually being one person shooting ONE other person and both of them being extremely ignorant and deserving. Rednecks simply do not go crazy and commit mass murders. You do not understand Southern culture and that goes for people that live in other parts of the US as well.

The only "mass" murder i know of that was committed in the south was Pearl High School. That kid was a loner, and FAR from a redneck (contrary to your ignorance, most southerners are not rednecks). And GUESS WHAT happened? The PRINCIPAL of the school got his pistol from his desk and subdued the shooter until the cops came, no doubt saving countless lives.

Oh yeah, pearl is a suburb of Jackson, the largest city in Mississippi. City slickers go on mass murders, not rednecks. Columbine, Va tech, and this what just happened. All people from large cities. So stop demonizing what you don't. My southern counterparts might not be the most intelligent of people, but afterall, it was the genius asian kid and the neuroscience phd student who committed the most recent mass murders. So get a #ing life bigots.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by theroguelion

I am truly honored that you chose my thread to make your inaugural post...really.

I will read and respond in a bit to your post as I am busy right now and can't lay out an intelligent response (and the JD shots don't help)

But on the surface...star.

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
More gun control or ammunition limits are not needed. When I could get around better than I do now it was fun to go out and burn a half dozen 30 round clips at targets. We used to order a 1,000 rounds of cheap Chinese or Russian 7.62 every month or so. I can't imagine being told I could only buy 20-30 rounds at a time or that I had to reload every 5 shots. Let alone not being able to trick it out.

We are going to have individuals go off the rails occasionally and do crazy things. Run people down with car, DUI, bombings like Oklahoma City, the Austin IRS suicide plane attack, 9/11 plane attacks, pipe bombs and some gun related. Of course the non law abiding elements don't care.

Unless you restrict everyone's freedoms and movement and get to a point of predicting future crimes you have to accept that some individuals go off the rails occasionally.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I know what you mean bro. I been a "redneck" practically my whole life. Not from the south mind you, I was in NY until about 10 years ago. I am much farther north now, but still in the country. Us country folks were raised with guns, owned guns since we were kids, yet, not many gun crimes. The worst gun crime I remember was when a guy came home and found his woman in bed with another dude. He shot the dude in the leg. Walks with a limp now, probably never banged another married woman, certainly not dead.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The people that I trust the most with gun ownership are the ones that really do not want to own one but think that they need one to protect themselves or there loved ones, or the ones that hunt for food. I'm sure there are a few others types of people too but those are the ones that the best mindset for owning a gun. This group includes a pretty big group and includes police that want to protect their neighbors and the 2nd Amendment folks that take seriously the reason for militias as a method for protecting our liberties should the government becoming tyrannical. That group probably covers 90% of the general popularion of adults but the other 10% are concerning since that group includes the 1% that are or have been in prison. So if a way could be devised to weed out that 10% of adults, the US would probably have less crime of the sort that we just witnessed in Colorado. But even with that in place we would probably just see a lot more crime where people use knifes, clubs etc. since you can't legislate away evil.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jlfose

Felons cannot own firearms legally. At least not where I come from.
edit on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 01:47:38 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Here are the facts:

1. You take guns out of the hands of good people, bad people WILL ALWAYS GET THEM ANYWAY.
2. Everyone has an inalienable right to defend their life by any means necessary.

So no, no form of gun control will ever save lives.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Just get rid of them. Guns are not necessary in today's world. How can you deny that it would not benefit society?

I know "Well people will find another way to kill people." That is just a lame argument. Fact is clearly that if no one had guns in the U.S. then the number of useless deaths would go down drastically.

I propose that only law enforcement officers have guns.

People say it is impossible to get rid of all the guns and that people will just carry them illegally.

Well you know what? I disagree.

Allow police officers to drag anyone they find with a gun into the street and execute them on the spot. Let people see what will happen if they carry a death machine.

You get caught with a gun, you get shot in the head on the spot. Done. That will deter folks from wanting to illegally have guns in a gun free society.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WillHal1000
People commenting here for stricter gun control laws FAIL to realize the only reason for the 2nd Amendment is so people can be armed to the teeth against a tyrannical government.

This argument is completely bogus in the 21st-century. What good are a bunch of rednecks with crappy little Wal-Mart peashooters going to be against the might of the US (or another country's) military ?

For this Second Amendment justification to hold water, local militias would have to have the most up to date advances in military weaponry over the years, such as tanks, APCs, surface-to-air missiles, fighter jets, chemical warheads, etc. But I highly doubt that citizens have a legal ''right'' to possess most of these.

Also to debunk other general points that crop up in gun control debates:

Firstly, the argument that the ''bad guys will always get guns''. All of the spree/rampage killings in the UK in recent years have been instigated by legal gun owners, just as Breivik legally owned his guns. It is almost unheard of for a mass shooting to be conducted by someone who owns their weapons illegally.

Secondly, the claim that ''people will just murder each other with knives and bats instead''. If you compare the murder rate in the UK and US (excluding firearms murders), then the UK still has a lower murder rate, suggesting that the lack of availability of firearms doesn't create a huge spike in murders with other instruments. The points which people miss about guns, as opposed to other weapons, is the impersonal nature of them, and the ease in which you can kill or maim someone with them. Any coward can pull a trigger at a remote target.

Thirdly, the argument that if everyone carried a gun then it would be safer as they could stop someone shooting up a place at an earlier stage. This is ridiculous. How would the average passer-by know who was the ''goody guy'' and who was the ''bad guy'' ? Also, as I understand it, there is no legal necessity to gain firearm proficiency before you can own one, so one wannabe Rambo may cause far more harm than good in trying to take down the shooter. All in all, the more people who carry guns in public, the bigger potential for a monumental clusteryouknowwhat to occur.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Very well said. I have said it numerous times on this site.

I dare anyone to get there little band of rebels together and march on Washington with your guns with the intent to overthrow the government.

You will get pwned. The 2nd amendment needs to be struck from the Constitution and replaced with a charge to help your fellow man. To go out and end homelessness. The right to help others. To keep people alive, not have instruments to kill them.

Society truly has a sick and twisted view on what is acceptable behavior. It breeds selfishness and greed. Truly sad.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Stay in england, and piss off. You like your "utopia" fine, stay there. Stop expecting us to conform to your standards. Gun sales are on the rise, yet crime declines.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Where do you live? Are you going to declare there is no homeless people in your country? And FYI, guns help keep me alive...... Most of my meat comes from hunting you jerk. You want to put food on my table? You want to hire some armed guards to protect us from wolves, coyotes that interbreed with wolves, bears, wolverines, bobcats, lynx?

Let me guess, you are an ignorant city dweller?
edit on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 02:57:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Why the anger buddy? I am merely speaking my mind, which I have a right to just as much as you. I can never understand venom in folks voices because someone thinks differently from them. I hardly care where you get your food. You could hunt with a bow and arrow if you wanted to. And you probably do sometimes.

I dont know your situation, if you have to hunt for your food or if you could go to a grocery store and buy it. If you prefer wild game but you dont have to shoot it do you?

So you have rabid bear/coyote/wolves beating down your door every night? lol.....

Anyway, I am a U.S. Citizen. I grew up in south Georgia with a 3 wheeler and a gun in my lap at 8. I was taught to hunt and all that..

It is not necessary. You can survive just fine without your gun.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Honestly... I've never met anyone personally that has ever been shot at or anything. You act like its a free for all over here... Theres hardly any gun crime at all in the south where I live. Its simply unheard of. We use our guns for sport and free meat. I've been around guns all my life. I was taught from an early age to never point a gun at someone - loaded or unloaded. The overwhelming majority of gun crimes are committed by minorities and gangs in the inner cities. They already own the guns illegally. So banning guns here would really do no good.

Im not sure why you guys are such fearful creatures? Theres nothing scary about where I live lol. I'm amazed at how ignorant you guys are of American Society. You wanna talk about crime rates? When you have a large, ignorant lower class like we do in the US, I bet your crime rate would skyrocket too. You can't really compare England to the US in crime rates and blame it soley on guns because the social/cultural situations are COMPLETELY different.

You want only the cops to have guns? Cops kill more innocent people per year than mass shooters! You really have no clue how a country or different areas of a Country really is until you live there for at least a year. So everything you are saying is automatically irrelevant, and quite frankly none of your business either. You simply have no idea of what you are talking about. And thats why you will never see me making arrogant comments about your country.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

I am not angry. A tad bit annoyed with the attitude sure. Yes, I do hunt in bow season, but that doesn't account for most of my meat. You don't care where I get my food, charming. Most of my meat is game, not because I am bloodthirsty or whatnot, but because I can't afford to buy all my food. I also do a huge garden every year which accounts for most of my veggie consumption.

I buy some beef from a farmer locally, but even with my discount from giving the farmer beer and wine I make, I could not afford to buy it all.

I shoot, trap, and fish. I have my grandmother and great uncle, both over 85 years old to feed. Before I used to have two girls to feed as well.

Animals don't have to be rabid to be a threat....

Maybe guns aren't necessary for you, well they are for me, and many people I know..... Maybe your life is all great, and you don't need it. Good for you, stop pissing on people that depend on guns to live, and pretend everyone is as good off as you are batman.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I am sure those people going to see that movie had the same thoughts as you. I am sure they felt perfectly safe.

I wonder how good ticket sales are in that town and across the country now for that matter.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join