It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: "Is Gun Control The Answer?" Here We Go Again.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Why does it bother you that this law abiding citizen has a gun? Why do you even care? He doesn't really seem like a threat to hurt anyone. As a U.S. citizen you should know that this is the land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE. You want to take away this mans FREEDOM to use guns for pleasure, sport, and FOOD, because you arent brave enough to live in a society that has the right to bear arms? Yet you think its okay for cops to execute people without trial or indictment in the street? Yet you then get offended because you sensed "venom" in his post. Get lost you piece of #.
You belong in a country that has the mantra 'land of the control freaks, home of the anxiety stricken COWARDS.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I am not pissing on you. You could use your bow to kill your food. You admit that you already do during season. We both know seasons really dont matter on private land, which it sounds like you have, or you have access to.

Even if you dont and hunt where you may be worried about getting caught....that law can be changed.. Where you could just trap and hunt with a bow.

Only someone like Legolas could walk into a movie theater and kill 12 people with a bow and arrow.

Sounds like you are very self sufficient. I actually have the same plan when I retire (minus the hunting).

I want a little parcel of land with chickens and will prolly raise a cow and pig each year. Grow a garden big enough to can a years worth of veggies.

You really dont NEED the guns though. You could still get meat without them and defend yourself.

edit on 22-7-2012 by AtcGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theroguelion

There are folks that are perfectly safe with guns. No doubt there.... It is obvious that it only takes 1 crazy with one to screw up alot of peoples lives.

It is not worth it. You dont need a gun. And to me....the benefits of just getting rid of them is better than letting you have one, because you are responsible with it.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

you have no idea of what you are talking about. You have to be within 40 yards to kill a deer with a bow. You also have to be completely silent the whole time before the shot and during it. The wind has to be blowing the right direction. You have to have scent blockers. You have to have good camo. You have to be about 20 foot up in a tree. And that isn't even to mention putting the shot on it. It is hard, and not reliable at all, especially when food is on the line. You are wanting to destroy our southern way of life that has existed for centuries because you are a coward? GTFO you shill. You know nothing of culture and tradition. Despicable.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

You have to do most of those things with a gun when hunting as well.

If you were forced to not have a gun, I am sure your bow and arrow skills would increase to compensate.

Slavery was also a culture in the south at one time. I am so glad that someone decided to change that.

Or should we bring that back as well because it is culture?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Sooooo..... You are saying because a huge minority use guns for bad reasons, then guns should be banned.....

Are you comfortable living without transportation? Many more people die per year because of idiots behind the wheel of a vehicle, than deaths caused by guns.

Are you comfortable living without a knife? Slippery slope isn't it?

In 2006 there were 12.5 MILLION registered hunters. Lets be very conservative and say an 8th of them killed one animal, which is probably a super low estimate BTW......
That 1,562,500 kills by a hunter.
Source

Ok that same year there were a total of 17,030 murders. So without even counting people who are going to the range, who are competition shooting, and many many other lawfull uses, it blows that dismal theory out of the water by a long shot. For every one murder, there were 733 successful hunts.
Source

And that is total murders, not just murders by guns.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

You bring up another good point. How much money is spent on the gear for you to go hunting.....guns and ammo arent free.

The hours spent tracking something down? Go get a job and make money to feed yourself.

Chances are you hunt for sport more than anything else. Most hunters I knew were rich kids going off to dove shoots with daddy....

Your view of me is irrelevant. My thoughts are my own. You shall not sway me with insults.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

People still get shot at the movies.......People die.

It is not worth it.

Use your bow.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

The National Safety Council Report titled, "What Are the Odds of Dying?" for 1998 reveals that you are almost twice as likely to die from natural environmental factors (1,521 deaths), such as injuries caused by animals, plants or exposure to the elements than from an accidental gunshot (866 deaths). Think about it. The same report shows that you are more likely to choke to death on a piece of food (1,147 deaths) or die from falling down stairs (1,389 deaths) as to die from an errant bullet. You are four times more likely to die in a fire (3,255 deaths) or drown (3,964 deaths). The simple fact is that there are many things that we take for granted in life that are much more dangerous than guns. In 1998, there were 43,501 motor vehicle deaths, 10,255 poisoning deaths, 3,228 deaths from complications or misadventures of surgical or medical care and 16,274 total falling deaths - maybe we should ban ladders.
reply to post by AtcGod

Don't think that just because the police are trained in the use of firearms that they are less likely to kill an innocent person. A University of Chicago Study revealed that in 1993 approximately 700,000 police killed 330 innocent individuals, while approximately 250,000,000 private citizens only killed 30 innocent people. Do the math. That's a per capita rate for the police, of almost 4000 times higher than the population in general. OK, that is a little misleading. Let's just include the 80,000,000 gun owning citizens. Now the police are down to only a 1200 times higher accidental shooting rate than the gun-owning population in general.

nuff said.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

So I take it you are not willing to give up transportation and knifes, yet I am supposed to give up my guns?

One false move on the highway, and you kill a whole lot of people. Huge pileup of carnage. Ban vehicles!
edit on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 03:49:56 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

We are talking about guns not cars here btw.

Maybe if we stopped shooting at eachother we could make the transportation system safer.

Abandon all the war and negative and focus on things that actually help people.

This is a problem with world society in general. Disarming the world would be a good thing.

We dont need killing machines. Accidents kill enough of us as it is as you point out.

Cant we all just get along?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by theroguelion

The National Safety Council Report titled, "What Are the Odds of Dying?" for 1998 reveals that you are almost twice as likely to die from natural environmental factors (1,521 deaths), such as injuries caused by animals, plants or exposure to the elements than from an accidental gunshot (866 deaths). Think about it. The same report shows that you are more likely to choke to death on a piece of food (1,147 deaths) or die from falling down stairs (1,389 deaths) as to die from an errant bullet. You are four times more likely to die in a fire (3,255 deaths) or drown (3,964 deaths). The simple fact is that there are many things that we take for granted in life that are much more dangerous than guns. In 1998, there were 43,501 motor vehicle deaths, 10,255 poisoning deaths, 3,228 deaths from complications or misadventures of surgical or medical care and 16,274 total falling deaths - maybe we should ban ladders.
reply to post by AtcGod

Don't think that just because the police are trained in the use of firearms that they are less likely to kill an innocent person. A University of Chicago Study revealed that in 1993 approximately 700,000 police killed 330 innocent individuals, while approximately 250,000,000 private citizens only killed 30 innocent people. Do the math. That's a per capita rate for the police, of almost 4000 times higher than the population in general. OK, that is a little misleading. Let's just include the 80,000,000 gun owning citizens. Now the police are down to only a 1200 times higher accidental shooting rate than the gun-owning population in general.

nuff said.

The shooting at the movie theater was not accidental.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Except, disarming the public, doesn't disarm police and military. If everyone in the world gave up all weapons like guns and bombs, I would be all for it. That is not going to happen. How does disarming me help to stop wars? It doesn't.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Just stop talking about hunting. You know nothing about it and continue to show ignorance with every post you make. You are simply a fear based loser with no life, the pic says it all. You already said you want to abolish the second amendment and the right to a fair trial. You are an idiot
and you must want more women to be raped.

Principal among the facts that Wolfgang was disappointed to learn, is that Guns are used for self-defense between 2.1 Million and 2.5 Million times every year. The following facts from the Kleck/Gertz study, relate directly to this fact. In the vast majority of those self-defense cases, the citizen will only brandish the gun or fire a warning shot. In less than 8% of those self-defense cases will the citizen will even wound his attacker. Over 1.9 million of those self-defense cases involve handguns. As many as 500,000 of those self-defense cases occur away from home. Almost 10% of those self-defense cases are women defending themselves against sexual assault or abuse. This means that guns are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of law-abiding citizens than to take a life. At an estimated 263 million US population, in 1995, when the study was released, it also means that an average of 1 out of every 105 to 125 people that you know will use a gun for self-defense every year.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

700,000/300
250,000,000/30

Even if we assume that all cases were on purpose, a HUGE difference isn't it?

link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Why is that not going to happen? It is that type of attitude that makes it not going to happen.

It can happen.

link   

Originally posted by AtcGod
reply to post by TKDRL

We are talking about guns not cars here btw.

Maybe if we stopped shooting at eachother we could make the transportation system safer.

Abandon all the war and negative and focus on things that actually help people.

This is a problem with world society in general. Disarming the world would be a good thing.

We dont need killing machines. Accidents kill enough of us as it is as you point out.

Cant we all just get along?

Okay, but how do you plan to get rid of the guns after we ban them?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

The Wall Street Journal reported, in an August 28, 1996 article titled, "More Guns, Less Violent Crime," that a University of Chicago study revealed that states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%.

and boom goes the dynamite.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Cops won't even give up their SWAT teams, you think they will give up their guns?
Military giving up their arms? Seriously?
The only thing we really export these days is death VIA our armed forces.....

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I know plenty about hunting.... Read my previous posts. I grew up hunting.

Or is it you think black people that dress like batman couldnt possible know anything about hunting.

I was talking about the right to bear arms part....which is what this thread is about.

/hint My avatar is not a picture of me.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join