It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

That is your very limited experience of Americans towards muslims. That does not say at all how Americans in general feel about Islam or Muslims only how the people you work (ed) with felt.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
were the founding fathers even christain? if i'm not mistaken very few of them were. oh yeh thats louisiana for you- ilove it here

This list actually shows that 100% of them were Christian. Different affiliations but all Christian. ( not even a Jew among them )

www.adherents.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

And yet a few of them were Angelicans. ( The Church of England)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Oh and you said Men and Women but the founding fathers were not women. Women didnt even get the vote until 1920. Thats only 37 years before I, a woman of the modern age , was born.
They may have believed in freedom of choice when it came to relegion but in other matters they were woefully backwards. ( slavery and women as chattle)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Reply to post by karen61057

I would say thaty site is incorrect. There is a lot of evidence based on some of the writings the founding fathers did that they were most likely deists rather than christian.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Knock... Sheldon
Knock... Sheldon
Knock... Sheldon

See my link-
www.adherents.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

what is that?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by karen61057

A Deist is someone who believes there is a higher power but that they do not interfere in human affairs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I very much disagree with you there. I'm Christian, but not a radical, extremist one at all.
There are a LOT of radical christians, extremists, outright murderers.
Look at the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, HITLER was a Christian, look what he did to the Jews

No such thing as a radical or extremist christian. If they violate the laws of Yeshua they are not of his people, and you should know this. Hitler was half jew on his father's side, his mother was catholic and he was the Vatican's watchdog, particularly Pope Pius 12. Catholics are pagans masquerading as christian, thats why the Jesuits and Dominicans were able to torture and murder protestant christians and jews in the 600 year Inquisition on devices like the Wooden Horse, the Wrack, Thumb Screws and a host of many other evil devices, accusing them of witchcraft and heresy and laughing at them in their pain and dying.

Notice how Hitler and all these Popes are wearing the Templar Cross and the Knights of Malta Cross? Symbolism is your friend. These people are broadcasting what they are by the symbol they wear.

There are a LOT of radical and extremist christians, most of them are of the non-denominational fundamentalist evangelical "sect". A Christian is someone who bases their religion on Christ being the son of God. Although they in NO WAY fit my idea of what a Christian SHOULD be, they are christians just as the terrorists that are being talked about are muslim even though they in no way represent the idea of what most adherants believe a Muslim should be.

Hitler as not half jewish, both his parents were Catholic.

If Catholics are pagans, then Protestants are too because the Protestants came from the Catholics.

If people are going to ahere to a religion, they need to know the history of it and have an understanding of what it is and where it came from. It's the job of the churches to teach people about that and they aren't doing their job.

I blame all the little fundamentalist evangelical groups whose preachers don't attend seminary, have absolutely no training at all, misinterpret the bible and lead people around with lies instead of faith and knowledge. If anything in the world is going to destroy Christianity, it will be that group. The damage they do is horrendous. They are the "terrorist" version of Christianity just as the radical muslim groups are the terrorist versions of Islam. The Discliples learned directly from Christ, every leader after that learned from one of them, then taught the next group until seminaries were set up and the training continued. The ONLY one that didn't need "seminary" was Christ himself and these little evangelical preachers are FAR from being Christ or even knowing who Christ is. They are nothing more than cults, but, they're based on Chistianity, so, they are Christian.....Christian cults and terrrorists.

If the laws in our country weren't preventing them, they'd be just as militant and horrendous as the terrorists on the opposing side if not more so. That horrendous little group does not represent the rest of Chrsitianity or our country any more than the radical muslim terrorists represent the rest of Islam. ... not sure I can say the same about the government of their country as it's a theocracy based government and that's always the problem.

There should always be a separation of church and state in every government that exists, otherwise, there will always be terrorists. When bush was president, the terroristic element of Christianity got brave and thought they had a foothold and that caused most of the problems we have right now.

I want the absolute right to pracitce my religion without interference and I want every other religion to have that same right, otherwise, whatever the majority is at any given time will be making the rules and we can't allow that to happen. They have their right to their religion just as I have my right to mine. If they ask to learn about mine, I will share with them, but I'm not going to go to their homes and try to force it down their throat, that doesn't accomplish anything but hatred.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by ohioriver

That's your opinion, but I know many people who have immigrated here, some even converted to Christianity. They have no desire to kill anyone, they're good, decent people and they were running from the government that was controlling them and telling them who and how to worship just like the founders of our country did.

If someone immigrates and commits crimes based on our laws, they will be punished by our laws. They're not going to change the laws, they're not going to take over, they are subject to the same laws we are regardless of what their culture is.

That's the beauty of America, we're open to all beliefs but not ruled by any beliefs as far as religion goes and it will stay that way. We won't be ruled by Muslim law, we won't be ruled by Christian law, we are ruled by the Constitution that made a specific effort to keep any religion from taking over.

While it may be true that some truly want to just live in peace, the majority are not so inclined.If one immigrates here they need to assimilate into our culture.

Apparently, with all that's being posted, the same can be said for both sides....

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
were the founding fathers even christain? if i'm not mistaken very few of them were. oh yeh thats louisiana for you- ilove it here

This list actually shows that 100% of them were Christian. Different affiliations but all Christian. ( not even a Jew among them )

www.adherents.com...

The list is misleading and not entirely correct. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Many of the founding fathers were deists, some athiests. They had a strong Christian influence but their whole reason for being founding fathers was to escape the requirement of following the religion they were told to follow. John Jay was about the only one that could actually be considered a Christian, the rest held varied beliefs but weren't opposed to Chrsitianity, big difference.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It seems like America today is becoming the very group that our founding fathers left and formed our country to be different from

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Similar to the "Loch Ness Monster" story, this is another non-story generated by those who want to maintain the stupid is as stupid does public school system.
In Louisiana, the vast majority of private schools that are religious are Catholic Schools. The archdioceses tend to follow a very secular college prep program, usually with one class that deals with religion (usually quite lame and not indoctrinating - believe me I went through 12 years of it, i know).

While I'm sure the handful of Muslim schools in the state are eligible, one must remember this is not mandatory and all about the parents' choice. NO one is being forced to accept a voucher. It just so happens that private schools are much more successful at getting kids into college and jobs than public schools.
It is all about the parent's choice to give their kid a better chance.

All this nonsense about Madrassas and the one Christian school that has a creationist text book are just smoke and mirrors by defenders of a failed system.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Yes men and women. The history of our founding is so woefully incomplete as far as it is taught today. If you would do half the research I've done you'd know that without the help and sacrifice of many women in the early stages of the revolution we would not have the country we do today.

In the mid 1700 women had the right to vote in this country. Of course, they were from white and wealthy families as property ownership was a prerequisite for voter status. Most women voted for federalists into the 1800s. It wasn't until the anti-federalists got into power that the power of a woman's vote was erased from legal stature.

There are many small but important pieces of history that have been ignored and brushed off by modern education. For what purpose I don't know.
edit on 7-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
No such thing as a radical or extremist christian. If they violate the laws of Yeshua they are not of his people, and you should know this.

If that's the case then there's no such thing as an extremist Muslim either.

Otherwise its a double standard.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Our founding fathers were Christians? The Declaration of Independence gives us important insight into the opinions of the Founding Fathers. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the power of the government is derived from the governed. Up until that time, it was claimed that kings ruled nations by the authority of God. The Declaration was a radical departure from the idea that the power to rule over other people comes from God. It was a letter from the Colonies to the English King, stating their intentions to separate themselves. The Declaration is not a governing document. It mentions "Nature's God" and "Divine Providence"-- but that's the language of Deism, not Christianity. The bible gives clear instructions to Christians on how to behave when ruled under a monarchy, as the Founders clearly were. The Founders obviously did not heed what was written in the bible. If they were in fact good Christians, there would never have been an American Revolution......

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MACRIP

but that's the language of Deism

No it isn't. Deists believe in a deity that does not interfere with the affairs of man. A God that created and took his leave. That is not what the founders wrote. The Concept of Natures God goes back to pious scholars like St. Thomas Aquinas. And the words "With firm reliance on Divine Providence we mutually pledge our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor" was an acknowledgement of the matter of a personal God that takes care of his children, this is NOT a deist view of God and never has been. Methinks you need more time studying original sources than listening to politically motivated history writers and people who gloss over these details because of their distaste for Christianity.

There is a fundamentally huge difference between your interpretation of what it meant to be a good Christian at the time, what the Bible actually says, and the actions of the founders. Which proves to me that you haven't read the Bible either.If anything they took their example directly from Jesus' life. Revolting against the power of the politicized Temple of His day. The Church of England was never anything more than a state run religious organization that threatened the spiritual development and relationship of it's adherent to God. Hence the Establishment clause. But you go ahead and believe that's there because they believed God was a "hand off" type of guy.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MACRIP

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the power of the government is derived from the governed. Up until that time, it was claimed that kings ruled nations by the authority of God.

And where do rights come from? From another man? From "the governed"? No. The power of government comes from the will of the governed, not from God or from government itself.

Our RIGHTS come from God. By the very nature of our existence. That is the concept of Natural Law that St. Thomas Aquinas wrote about, among the many who did like Aristotle, Cicero and Plato. These are not deist beliefs but beliefs of those who acknowledge God as THE authority of the universe, one very much involved with our lives.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I guess separation of church and state means nothing to her.

2nd

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I agree with you for the most part. I was stating the fact that our country was not built as a Christian nation. Many of our founding fathers considered Jesus to be a prophet but not divine; hence, the Jefferson Bible. I have read the bible (a couple of different versions in fact) and Thomas Paine "Age of Reason" and I side with Paine. Plato, Cicero, Aristotle and Voltaire, I have also read their works. I find all 3 of Abraham's religions to mere fairy tales.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join