It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MACRIP

Let me clear one thing up, at no point will I assert that this nation was founded solely for the religion of Christ. That would be untrue. What I have a problem with is the mischaracterization and distortion of the beliefs of the founders by misquote, omission, and outright lying.

There's a lot of propaganda out there regarding the beliefs of the founders because the people who write that tripe know full well that most are too lazy to do the research into the original sources themselves.

As far as Thomas Paine is concerned:

www.wallbuilders.com...

Thomas Paine, in his discourse on “The Study of God,” forcefully asserts that it is “the error of schools” to teach sciences without “reference to the Being who is author of them: for all the principles of science are of Divine origin.” He laments that “the evil that has resulted from the error of the schools in teaching [science without God] has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism.” Paine not only believed in God, he believed in a reality beyond the visible world

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

She shows her ignorance straight away by claiming the founding fathers religion was Christianity. Sure there were quite a few Christians, but some were athiests, agnostic and many were also Masons.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

God takes care of his children? Let's see the Middle Passage, The Inquisition, all of the countless genocides throughout history, etc... God has been doing a great job in guarding his children.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors. -Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Again, I agree with you. My post was merely to inform the person that started this thread that our founding fathers were a committee not a religious sect.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MACRIP

God didn't commit those crimes we did. We have a choice.

By the way, the Inquisition, the Crusades? All a product of a government run religion.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

or religion run governments?

(and if im not mistaken the story goes that we were created in gods image and that god is everywhere and in all things)
edit on 7-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeterWiggin
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well...

...she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christian schools

Why would religious school vouchers only be allowed for christian schools? I can accept the title's satirical nature, myself, and with the wording, you could read it that way, however invalid it may actually be.

That is someones opinion of what she assumed, I have no idea what she assumed, how do you, do you read her thoughts? Can we get a quote of her saying she thought this?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

a more accurate summation

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

or religion run governments?

(and if im not mistaken the story goes that we were created in gods image and that god is everywhere and in all things)
edit on 7-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

Its always been the other way around. Politicization of the church is what drove the philosophy of the establishment clause. Kings have always used the word of a saint to convince the peasant that he alone holds the keys.

And what does Gods role in the world have to do with what you just said?.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

so then you would agree organized religion is a sham used for political gain?
and my point was that if you take it all seriously there is no difference blaming man or blaming god as man would be god though not the entirety of
so saying its an act of man is also saying its an act of god

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I believe that the followers of the worlds religions are good people intent on doing good things. Religion, like anything else, can be abused by people. Historically it has been and continues to be. However, the majority of those willing to do good deeds in the name of God far outnumber those who wish to exploit the word of God. In many ways religion is the only thing that stands between the goodness of human spirit and a statist construct driven by a cold and nihilistic view of our future. Some of the greatest leaps in the cause for the liberty of the individual and of nations began with a deep faith in God.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
"In many ways religion is the only thing that stands between the goodness of human spirit and a statist construct driven by a cold and nihilistic view of our future. "
explain how this is in anyway true because i can assure you i dont subscribe to any religion and my views of our future are anything but cold and nihilistic
and the greatest leaps in liberty and individuality may have been made by men who believed in religion of some form or another but this in no way means that religion was the cause of these developments

(in the same way you wouldnt argue that because most people are religious that all wars started by religious peoples or genocides committed by religious peoples were because of the religions and not the wants needs or character of the individual people even though religious reasons are frequently given for such actions))

perhaps religion could be used as reasoning for these developments in some cases but we have already established that people will use religion to get things done regardless of whether or not they believe a word of it

after all it would be pretty hard to get things done if most of the world was religious and people consider you a godless heathen
edit on 8-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hey look,
..another "Let's forget about diversity and anti bullying measures and bully a Christian" thread.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

You said in your post that the religious folks always voted for the furthest right candidate, but that is just disinfo the media spews..
I know it is wrong because 90% of the people that attend the Christian church I am a member of are the most left wing fanatics you could ever hope to meet..
These folks are almost as bad as that guy that was interviewed and shown in a thread recently on ats. The one where the guy was supporting our current left wing administration no matter what they might do.
Even though I don't share their views, they are still very nice people though..

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Hey look,
..another "Let's forget about diversity and anti bullying measures and bully a Christian" thread.

Winner for the most non sensical post in the thread. You don't like facts, do you?

CJ
edit on 8-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

What happened to the "Separation of Church and State"???

I double checked the Constitution to see if it was still in there and discovered that it was never there to begin with.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Interestingly enough, I've been considered both a godless heathen and a devout Christian. Neither is the case.

Let me explain what I mean by religion standing in the way of statist nihilism.

Religion, when studied for its philosophical values, establishes concepts like authorities above the level of man(and therefore government) , a personal salvation of both the person and the soul(something at odds with collectivist political ideology) , and a reliance on these authorities above any construct of man. When you strip away the extremists and governments who use religion to their own ends, you are left with a mighty and vastly.moral force in the world that should not be ignored or written off simply because one doesn't like the "fairy-tale "
edit on 8-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by seeker1963

What happened to the "Separation of Church and State"???

I double checked the Constitution to see if it was still in there and discovered that it was never there to begin with.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson (in his 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptists) and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly cited by the Supreme Court of the United States.

You are correct. The exact wording is not in the constitution. I'll take Thomas Jefferson's interpretation over yours though.

CJ

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
reply to post by ClintK

You said in your post that the religious folks always voted for the furthest right candidate, but that is just disinfo the media spews..
I know it is wrong because 90% of the people that attend the Christian church I am a member of are the most left wing fanatics you could ever hope to meet..
These folks are almost as bad as that guy that was interviewed and shown in a thread recently on ats. The one where the guy was supporting our current left wing administration no matter what they might do.
Even though I don't share their views, they are still very nice people though..

I believe what you just posted is known as hyperbole. Have you spoken to 90% of your congregation to discuss this? What church do you belong to? "The most left-wing fanatics"? Does that mean they are in support of social programs, like Jesus?

CJ

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Vastly moral force? I guess that depends on your morals. I believe that humans are moral beings to begin with and have no need of a man made church to tell them right or wrong.

CJ

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join