It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Attempt To Raid Garage Sale with AirSoft gear, Get Kicked To Curb (video)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
As a former Police Officer - I noted that the first officer just barged onto the property without so much as a how do you do. An officer in Australia must announce themselves and their office and state what they are doing...where was that protocol in this exercise????

All the first officer had to do was say - Hello My name is....and I am responding to a call from a concerned citizen about you selling guns. May I have a look at what you have here?

Being polite and professional could have worked well - but - we won't know because it wasn't tried.

American people put up with a lot and I am not surprised at the lengths the American citizens go to protect themselves. This would be a fabulous training/educational resource for each Police intake - on what not to do.

For those people thinking - but it was a complaint about guns and he had to rush in and check. Wrong. Every Police officer has an appointment belt with all manner of gear - including a gun and Police firearms training is centred on drawing your gun as fast as you can. If you need to draw it - once you have made that decision - it needs to be fast. The Police were well equipped to protect the public and themselves had their been any violent outburst or a 'real' gun issue. The Police in this instance were out of line and got told - and rightly so.

Much Peace...

Clearly there is a history with that particular apartment own and the cop in question..I am sure that happened to you a few times as a former Cop? Someone who wanted to get you riled?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

In most, if not all states it is NOT legal...Your Fire arm MUST be registered to the owner. You can not register your gun at a garage sale. Also while driving home you would be transporting an unregistered weapon.
edit on 5-7-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2012 by kurthall because: spelling

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Please don't use Wikipedia as a source for gun laws, go to an actual site and read the actual laws

Assult weapons are leagle in California

Any center fire rifle with a removable clip that has a pistol grip,collapsable stock or flash hider is illeagle

The loophole is the removable clip, all assult weapons sold in California have a "fixed" clip, meaning you cant remove it with your finger, a tool is needed

Shotguns;

And semi auto shotgun can have a pistol grip OR collapsable stock NOT both!!

All rifles can be no shorter then 30 in...... The rest of the country is 26in

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBlitzen
reply to post by Sek82

Probable cause of what? Is it illegal in CA to conduct a private sale of firearms?

Yes between citizens.
Sales of firearms from one person to another (private party transfers) must be through a licensed firearms dealer using a Private Party Transfer form. The licensed dealer may charge a $10 fee, in addition to the $25 transfer fee that the state charges.
and the purchaser must wait 10 days before picking up the guns

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by Ben81

Originally posted by Sek82
Okay Ben I like your threads but this one... I'm not taking the bait.
So they are selling Airsoft guns, no big deal once that is known. But they could very well be real M4s from a distance, can they not? They got a call from some other concerned citizen and are just responding to it.

So residents are holding a Garage Sale, and when a cop steps up to check out the wares, the "Private Property" card gets pulled and I'm supposed to side with the idiots selling this stuff?

This can be compared to that guy who was questioned by police while carrying an arsenal of weapons, you are right. They are trolling for police response just to put it on YouTube while crying about their rights being infringed upon.

apparently they had a complain .. neightbors ?
or its just a lie from the cops

some airsoft guns can look like real guns
but nobody is that dumb to sell real guns in a garage sell

the cops are not dumb either .. they knew it was airsoft gear but wanted to search anyway

REALLY? You think people just dont sell weapons out in the open like that? WHAT FREAKIN PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON? Use YOUR BRAIN beside using it to hold your ears apart. I FOR ONE would like the COPS to DOUBLE CHECK what is REALLY being SOLD.

All caps for you not so smart people siding with this family.

It is illegal in the state in question to do so.....

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
OK, I'm usually one of the first people here to rag on cops when they do wrong, but this lady was being a bit of a jerk. Yeah, I'm sure the cop was lying when he said there was a call about them selling guns. But the lady was a bit too quick with the whole "private property" thing. I mean, you're having a garage sale, you want people to come up and have a look at what you have for sale. I would have said, "You want to take a look? Sure! See anything you like? Make me an offer."

I would have had a little fun with the guy:

"Say, you look like a man that could use another Justin Bieber CD. Only $1.00"

"Too bad. Earlier I had a 'Legalize Hemp Now' T-shirt that would have fit you perfectly. I sold it to the guy two houses down the block, along with an indoor grow light."

"Could I interest you in some pink fur-lined handcuffs for you or your, uh, significant other?"

The worst things I saw the cop doing were lying about getting a call, and leaving the door open on his patrol car. It would have been blocking traffic, and someone could have reached in and stole something while he was checking out the sale.
edit on 5-7-2012 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2012 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

You don't think they received a call? Lol, so three cars were just passing by and stopped?

Apartment owner called them I would bet on it! they set it up for this entertaining video.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here we go, all the "I know my rights" people are in a frenzy but you are missing the serious point here.

The cops get a call that there's a gun being sold in a back yard deal, they are duty bound to investigate it but when they get there they get met by the Anarchists Cookbook brigade, what should have been a 5 min check to see if its a real gun and on their way then turns into a long drawn out 'one in the eye for the big brother'.

While this might titillate the up the system lot the fact is that these officers times are being wasted and some person who is being mugged, molested, raped, threatened or in fear of their life now has to wait for for these batch of officers to get free.

We lets hope the same time waster gets broken in to and is made to wait just as long because a fellow time wasting mate of hers is doing the same routine.

Sorry but there's a time and a place to know your rights and a simple check to see if your neighbour hood is safe from an unlicensed gun sale isn't the time.

As someone said earlier, attention whore...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
where I live it's legal to sell guns at garage sales...... however the people of this garage sale are a##hol3z. the cop wasn't doing anything wrong, and heeded the private property claim. some people pfft....
edit on 5-7-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Seems like those people have a huge problem with police in general. If you're in the right, not selling real firearms or whatever the law allows or doesn't allow there, what's the problem with allowing the police on the property and checking.

link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

Just stop you can try to pull the wool over people's eyes all you want until you deal with psychopath cops yourself. As I myself have on may occasions.

They came up on to THEIR land by THEIR CHILDREN and started touching THEIR property without even a how do you do.

Im sorry but not everyone lives in your world.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
reply to post by James1982

It depends on your state what is and isn't legal. In MY particular state you need a Firearms Purchaser ID card. In addition to that the flash guard & bayo lug on the airsoft would magically turn it into an evil "Assault Weapon" were it an actual firearm. That standard magazine that holds more than 15 rounds? same thing...Jail.

Here if you walked up to a sale, didn't have an FID card and simply picked up a rifle...congrats, you've just committed a crime of the fourth degree.

Also, you don't know the history of the people having the sale, apparently that particular officer has been there several times. If it was on a DV, they can't have firearms, convicted felon? same thing.

If it's in a state where this type of thing is the norm (selling firearms at a yard sale) and the officer wasn't in his right, then it might be an issue. There's too many variables unknown to tell.

That is a violation of your god given inalienable pre constitutional rights. How can anyone think that crap is ok?

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that our rights have been squished all around. Ca laws were voted into place and they exist as they are.

Personally I think we should clearly have the right to buy a firearm without paperwork and waiting periods and buy sell and trade them individually. BUT that is not the CA law at this moment and once the rights are gone I doubt we will be getting them back.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Its up to citizens to stand up and not comply with any illegal permits that are unconstitutional. Government legislation is not law, and much of it is not only illegal, but a break of the contract of TRUST, that hiring government employees is, a trust agreement much like a mechanic, who is entrusted to be paid to not damage your vehicle, but repair it. We don't hire thugs to take away our sovereign or constitutional rights.

I would not pay for any such illegal permit.

So you would buy illegally if you want a gun then and be sent off to jail...how does that help anything? we just bought a gun and it was weird not being able to leave with it...but unless you find one illegally on the market somehow, there is no other way to buy.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarbingerOfDoom

Originally posted by kalisdad
reply to post by Ben81

While I fully agree that cops need to follow the proper procedure for searching on private property, I do not feel that this case qualifies...

having a yard sale is inviting strangers onto your property, including police officers.
would it have been different if it was a cop that jut wanted to see what was for sale while on his lunch break?
or a cop that was off duty browsing the goods?

you can't invite everyone onto your property(which you do when you have a yard sale) and then bitch when one group of people come and look at your stuff.
the police obliged the woman when it was requested they get off their property, but for her to insist on following up with a complaint is BS in my opinion...

What do you mean I can't bitch when one group of people come and look at my stuff? It's my property and I can invite and exclude anyone I feel, including a police officer on his lunch break seeing what I had for sale. If I wanted I could say only naked people can come on my property. If you don't like my rules, don't come on my property. Some places enforce dress codes to enter, some places don't allow children, some places don't allow smoking...etc...if you don't like it the "rules" don't go. Just because you're a police officer doesn't mean you're excluded. I remember reading an article where the owner of a coffee shop wouldn't allow a police officer to buy coffee and sit in the shop. They told the officer they don't feel comfortable with police and asked him to leave. He did...

Just because I allow the public to come to my garage sale doesn't mean I give up my property rights or my decision to allow or deny access to my property to certain individuals. Do you think just because the places I mentioned above allow public access, that the rules they made are out the window? So if the restaurant that requires a suit and tie allows public access, and I come in wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt, should I expect to get the same service?? They wouldn't let me through the front door. Their property their rules...same should apply to any property owner. Unless I'm completely mistaken, someone please correct me.
edit on 5-7-2012 by HarbingerOfDoom because: edit

edit on 5-7-2012 by HarbingerOfDoom because: spelling

According to California Penal Code 602 PC, the trespasser cannot "invade another's exclusive right of possession". If a person only stays for a certain period of time that is not continuous and does not disrupt the owner's "exclusive right" to use the property, then the accused person is not guilty of trespass. If, however, the person stays for an extended period, which disrupts the owner's "exclusive right of possession" of the property, then it is trespass.

Read more: What Is the California Law for Trespassing Onto Personal Property? | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

You know, all they had to do was prove the guns weren't dangerous, and let the police go on their way. The cops probably realized that being on private property doesn't make a damned bit of difference if you're planning to buy or sell or use guns. They have the public safety in mind, and the lives of dozens of nearby innocent people are worth spending 5 minutes on your property, checking out reported weapons.

Remember, stuff has gone wrong before. Are they supposed to take chances with your neighborhood? That's their arses on the line. Don't make their job more difficult for them, just because you want to get one over on them. Guns are dangerous. Cops deal with dangerous stuff. If you had those guns out in the open and didn't expect to have to deal with the boys in blue, you're a freakin' idiot. Plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
reply to post by Ben81

The cops stepped off as soon as they were asked, their complaint will be tossed in the shredder. Nothing will come of it.

Americans take that for granted, case in point these yahoos.

Speaking of yahoos..... Attention and comprehension clearly aren't your strongest traits.

Watch how many times she asks the officer to get off of her private property before he actually listens to her MULTIPLE requests and leaves the premises.

Clearly "the cop DOES NOT step off as soon as they were asked to."

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HarbingerOfDoom

I believe if you did not want certain individuals to join in your yard sale it would have to be clearly posted at the street.

The most common acts that California trespassing laws prohibit are:

entering someone else’s property with the intent to damage that property,4

www.shouselaw.com...

entering someone else’s property with the intent to interfere with or obstruct the business activities conducted thereon,5

entering and "occupying" another’s property without permission,6 and

refusing to leave private property after you’ve been asked to do so.7

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Allegory of Illumination

The cop didn't step off because he hadn't finished his job. He got called, he had to answer the complaint. Are you suggesting that the lives of the community be put in danger because that woman didn't like the cop's shiny shoes on her grass?

Imagine if someone steals one of those guns later and goes off and shoots someone? How is that cop supposed to feel, knowing that he listened to some b****y woman and now someone's dead? Priorities, genius.
edit on 5-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurthall

In most, if not all states it is NOT legal...Your Fire arm MUST be registered to the owner. You can not register your gun at a garage sale. Also while driving home you would be transporting an unregistered weapon.
edit on 5-7-2012 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2012 by kurthall because: spelling

Alaska and Idaho is perfectly legal to buy/sell firearms, with no xfer fee, no registration, no licensed dealer needs to be present, nothing. i know from experience having just moved from Alaska to Idaho.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quoop
reply to post by AgentSmith

Cop was clearly being a dick. Stepped right on the property without permission and was rude to the lady, doesn't matter if she was rude back, he started it. I have nothing against Americans, but you are the average american who has had his right stampled on.

Either way you look at it your wrong. Thats why the cops left. And that's the law, they knew their rights. You write these super long responses, but the fact remains. YOU ARE WRONG

We have different laws here per state. You need to know the state laws if you are to decide who was wrong.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave

Any center fire rifle with a removable clip that has a pistol grip,collapsable stock or flash hider is illeagle

unless you are speaking only in Cali, assault rifles are not illegal in every state. i own a Bushmaster AR-15 M4, with a collapsable stock and removable clip. bought in Alaska moved to Idaho still legal.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join