It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Attempt To Raid Garage Sale with AirSoft gear, Get Kicked To Curb (video)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ten seconds of asking who was running the sale and explaining clearly the reason for the 'routine call' would have changed the dynamic. That didn't happen. The police officer quite clearly stated that he was going to do what he was going to do and the property owner would have to wait until he was done. What if the property owner said, "Well, I'm just going to search your patrol car, then!" Different story, right?

Notice that his cruiser was in the middle of the street with the door open - blocking traffic. If it was just to follow up on a complaint, he should have parked. He didn't because he was showing off his power. He was making a big show to impress the crowd. He was blocking traffic. A 'civilian' doing the same would be ticketed.

The 'someone' called trick makes me laugh. A crime is something that causes loss, injury, or damage to another. You have the right to know who is accusing you of such.

A garage sale may be inviting the public on to your property, but that doesn't take away your right to refuse access to anyone. The police officer was obviously not there to buy, and was clearly overstepping his authority.

I don't know the lady involved, but I truly believe she acted within her rights. I cannot say if she's deliberately baiting the police into these actions, but the burden is on the police to act properly and within the law. If they always did so there would be no need for 'copwatch' or similar. The police have created these groups by their own actions.

The police officer's obviously belligerence showed that he was acting the tough guy rather than following procedures.

I'm going to side with the property owner on this one.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'll just say this. Had I been in the same situation where the cops arrived, didn't explain the situation, and rifled through my stuff, I would react the same way.

Had the officers arrived and explained the situation I would gladly allow them in to examine. But the tone and attitude of that officer was plain rude. The citizens knew their rights and that's why the cops were given the boot.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quoop
I'll just say this. Had I been in the same situation where the cops arrived, didn't explain the situation, and rifled through my stuff, I would react the same way.

Had the officers arrived and explained the situation I would gladly allow them in to examine. But the tone and attitude of that officer was plain rude. The citizens knew their rights and that's why the cops were given the boot.

Its a YARD SALE...he looked at an item. I don't think most people would be appalled

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
Okay Ben I like your threads but this one... I'm not taking the bait.
So they are selling Airsoft guns, no big deal once that is known. But they could very well be real M4s from a distance, can they not? They got a call from some other concerned citizen and are just responding to it.

So residents are holding a Garage Sale, and when a cop steps up to check out the wares, the "Private Property" card gets pulled and I'm supposed to side with the idiots selling this stuff?

This can be compared to that guy who was questioned by police while carrying an arsenal of weapons, you are right. They are trolling for police response just to put it on YouTube while crying about their rights being infringed upon.

So people can have Rights just so long as they don't exercise them? That seems to be the point you are making here and it's rather ridiculous.

There's laws here and yes, even cops have to obey them. If they want to search someone or their property there's a thing called due process, and it involves a warrant or writ from an elected judge to sign, and hearsay is generally not valid, which was the only evidence provided here. Otherwise I could say you, Sek82, are selling crack coc aine out of your basement and the police state will send armed men and women into your house scaring the bejesus out of you, your wife, and your children. All just because I think you are a police state elitist who deserves it. Would that be fair in your opinion, if it happened to you?

Until you have evidence a law is being broken, and have followed the letter of the law, another individual can not violate your privacy and Rights. Even if it's a want for a Youtube meme exposure.

Fact is, ANY house, even your's, could be a gun running house. Does that mean police departments should randomly search houses with out warrant just because the possibility might exist? Or just these people's house because, well, it's not your house and you don't know them, or you don't like them?

In fact I heard you speaking the other day on the street, you said something about overthrowing the government. Perhaps you should be sequestered and taken down town and questioned for 24 hours. All because you were talking about the movie V while at a bus stop and I was passing by. That's the world you would like to live in?

I assure you that when your liberties are violated you will change your tune; but remember, it was your attitude that made it more likely it would happen to you.

Now, I'm not saying I would have done the same here. Quite frankly, I would have cared less about the cop, and even would have tried to sell the pellet guns to him as it would seem to me an officer would be more likely than most to purchase a pellet gun for his kids. But that's just me, and how I would handle my pursuit of happiness. But I will never support the infringing of someone else's pursuit of happiness so long as they are not infringing on someone else's. To each their own.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Not sure where this took place...I'm assuming some southwestern state.

Here in Florida, it is absolutely legal to sell an M4 styled AR15 at a yard sale. Why do some posters believe this to be an illegal practice worldwide?

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually knew what they were talking about before drawing conclusions and bashing folks for no legitimate reason?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Here in Florida, it is absolutely legal to sell an M4 styled AR15 at a yard sale. Why do some posters believe this to be an illegal practice worldwide?

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually knew what they were talking about before drawing conclusions and bashing folks for no legitimate reason?

i love the USA but damn am i glad to be in Canada
where we dont have gun shops beside our sexe shops

and were our garage sell have only old crap lol
edit on 7/5/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Quoop

Because you're totally going to walk up to someone who is possibly dealing in weaponry and say, "Excuse me, sir, mind if I have a word about a potantially legal activity in progress here?" On the off chance that the person who called had it right, the officer is possibly dealing with a redneck who'd sooner shoot the cop in the face than give him the time of day.

Privacy went out the window with 9/11, people. You're either going to be kept safe, or you get to do what you want, and to hell with whatever happens to you. It doesn't work both ways. Those who sacrifice security for liberty, clearly don't need any kind of law. Next time someone breaks your window, don't bother calling the cops. After all, it's private property and no one is being hurt.

Tough luck, pal.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Both of those videos (the Airsoft and the guy carrying his gun) are absolutely fantastic!
Both carried themselves very well and dealt with the police brilliantly.

People cannot allow the police to bully them and intimidate them into doing whatever they want.

These people are shining examples of law abiding citizens exercising their rights and freedoms.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I just went back and watched the clip.. and didn't see it.. give me a timestamp on this video so I can see what you are posting about... if that happened, then I will be angry as well..

Go to about :51, I get seasick watching the thing. The attitude cop walks up and starts going through their stuff, they ask him what he's doing, he gives them the sneer and says "It's my right to look". Until he notices they're recording him and they start asking for a super he's blowing them off. The guy's got a real crap attitude the whole way through. Seriously, if you gave a cop that body language on the street it would go downhill real fast - I've nearly gotten shot doing it to buddies when their associates didn't know me. The whole shoulders back, chest out, direct stare with your head tipped forward thing walking up to them really freaks the other guys out.

And truthfully, it isn't his right to look if it's not unlawful. Check out the body language the cop's giving off. It's way way different than the other two cops later.

The ladies attitude seemed worse then the cops. It didnt look like he was going through their stuff. Hell, Im not even real sure he touched any of it, hard to tell with camera angle.
I think this lady set this cop up. Honestly, all she had to do is say "theyre airsoft guns not real". But instead she gets right in his face with the private property line.
Ive seen cops alot more out of line then this guy.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I don't mean to offend. But if you are holding a yard sale, even though he is a police officer he is also a member of the public
You welcome members of the public to view your items before a sale takes place So isn't that the same what they did
Also don't you think that they were doing there duty, as they did mention it had been reported,that real guns where getting sold.
So what was the real issue of you dealing with them in the manor in which you did.
There is another link below where there is a guy who obviously knows the law,as when he speaks to the police officer about carrying a gun in the street he insists he is not breaking the law
Lets get things in perspective here.
We can learn the law back to front but what if that guy was a bad ass mother and started to shoot people as we have seen lots of them in the US news.
Then wouldn't you be then complaining why didn't these cops do something about it.
You would be asking for more than the cops supervisor
Would it not have been so easy to let them check, then get on there way.
Only quoting the law when there is a real need to.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

i love the USA but damn am i glad to be in Canada
where we dont have gun shops beside our sexe shops

and were our garage sell have only old crap lol

I'm not quite sure what my post has to do with yours...Perhaps it's a Canadian thing?
A modern sporting rifle like an AR15 is quite the weapon in the thousands of State and Federal acres of hunting lands in my area. Many folks here have meat in their freezer that didn't come from the local supermarket. As for items purchased from a "sexe shop", I couldn't say.

What point are you trying to make?
edit on 5-7-2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: sp:

link   
not the biggest fan of law enforcement , but i understand that they are checking for possible real weapons for sale out in public. I cant believe people have an issue with this

link   

Originally posted by viperdave
reply to post by Char-Lee

Please don't use Wikipedia as a source for gun laws, go to an actual site and read the actual laws

Assult weapons are leagle in California

Any center fire rifle with a removable clip that has a pistol grip,collapsable stock or flash hider is illeagle

The loophole is the removable clip, all assult weapons sold in California have a "fixed" clip, meaning you cant remove it with your finger, a tool is needed

Shotguns;

And semi auto shotgun can have a pistol grip OR collapsable stock NOT both!!

All rifles can be no shorter then 30 in...... The rest of the country is 26in

At least i show a source.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
whats wrong with you americans...be happy that they make their job...could be that the next time some people sell real guns or something else is going on which could have a negative effect on you.. ......i really dont like people like that.....maaan that sucks so baldy..and you are even proud of yourself...he is just doing his job...imagine you see in your neighbourhood some crazy # that makes you nervous ...its not a big deal to just show him that you dont sell real guns but you totally want to make a big deal out of it to show how "right"you are..

no wonder cops get so aggressive when people start to see them as enemys.. Its not a total "police state" thing to check if somone sells real guns when they look authentic.

You americans and your guns.. tssss

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lol they prolly called the cops themselves and told them (the police) that there are firearms being sold so they could videotape the whole event and have a youtube video... I am not buying it. So this one didn't do anything for me. I personally think they set this all up for a cheap youtube video...

-SAP-
edit on 5-7-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by madforit96

Good point

garage sells normaly invite the public in general to come take a look
and examine any stuff you are selling
any person who sell stuff for the general public normaly have a permit
it is normal for the cops to look if they receive a complaint
but the approach of the cop telling the owner to back off on his own property
he was acting like if a crime happened
next time he should stay out of the property if he wants to act like this

in his place i would have come and politly speak to the lady
that we have receive a anonymous call about dangerous equipement being sold here
and i just need to take a look at them to rule out any danger
if they dont want .. i will take a picture with a zoom on the guns and tell the woman that i will request a warrant to search the whole house because she have refuse we even take a look at it
making her suspicious even more

if the cops would have been more professional and know his own rights
while respecting the citizen rights at the same time
things would have gone better .. he should know better

damn i wish i could be a cop sometimes to teach the young cop how to act like real cops

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarbingerOfDoom

Originally posted by kalisdad
reply to post by Ben81

While I fully agree that cops need to follow the proper procedure for searching on private property, I do not feel that this case qualifies...

having a yard sale is inviting strangers onto your property, including police officers.
would it have been different if it was a cop that jut wanted to see what was for sale while on his lunch break?
or a cop that was off duty browsing the goods?

you can't invite everyone onto your property(which you do when you have a yard sale) and then bitch when one group of people come and look at your stuff.
the police obliged the woman when it was requested they get off their property, but for her to insist on following up with a complaint is BS in my opinion...

What do you mean I can't bitch when one group of people come and look at my stuff? It's my property and I can invite and exclude anyone I feel, including a police officer on his lunch break seeing what I had for sale. If I wanted I could say only naked people can come on my property. If you don't like my rules, don't come on my property. Some places enforce dress codes to enter, some places don't allow children, some places don't allow smoking...etc...if you don't like it the "rules" don't go. Just because you're a police officer doesn't mean you're excluded. I remember reading an article where the owner of a coffee shop wouldn't allow a police officer to buy coffee and sit in the shop. They told the officer they don't feel comfortable with police and asked him to leave. He did...

Just because I allow the public to come to my garage sale doesn't mean I give up my property rights or my decision to allow or deny access to my property to certain individuals. Do you think just because the places I mentioned above allow public access, that the rules they made are out the window? So if the restaurant that requires a suit and tie allows public access, and I come in wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt, should I expect to get the same service?? They wouldn't let me through the front door. Their property their rules...same should apply to any property owner. Unless I'm completely mistaken, someone please correct me.
edit on 5-7-2012 by HarbingerOfDoom because: edit

edit on 5-7-2012 by HarbingerOfDoom because: spelling

The problem with your way of thinking is it would lead to LESS rights for all not MORE.

So we go out yard selling...better watch close for the signs...

NO PEOPLE UNDER 5.4 ALLOWED!

NO MORMONS

NO HISPANICS

NO ONE OVER 34 ALLOWED

IS THAT THE KIND OF COUNTRY WE WANT TO LIVE IN?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Someone should really invent a squelch knob for the PC. Then we could tune out all of the squawking going on.

Could someone post the law regarding personal sales of firearms in California? It might help some of us to get a better point of view regarding this incident...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Someone should really invent a squelch knob for the PC. Then we could tune out all of the squawking going on.

Could someone post the law regarding personal sales of firearms in California? It might help some of us to get a better point of view regarding this incident...

I think I found it.

California Penal Code 12070 PC, a misdemeanor, prohibits you from selling, leasing, or transferring firearms unless you have a valid license to do so. Violating this California gun law subjects you to six months in a county jail and a maximum $1,000 fine for every firearm you sell, lease, or transfer.1

And even though the law against the unlicensed sale of firearms seems relatively straight-forward, it's not. California firearms laws are fraught with legal jargon, technicalities, and exceptions that make these offenses somewhat difficult to understand and even more difficult to defend.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Ummm..... actually no. 'Probable Cause' is just that....Probable Cause to commit a crime. Oxford Companion to American Law defines probable cause as "information sufficient to warrant a prudent person's belief that the wanted individual had committed a crime (for an arrest warrant) or that evidence of a crime or contraband would be found in a search (for a search warrant)"

Did he have consent? Did he have a warrant? Either or both are required to do what he did.

You see, your assertion is not defined in the term, or definition, of 'Probable Cause' since no crime has been committed. I for one am tired of seeing cops abuse their power and am all for citizens sticking up for themselves. God forbid I do something wrong at work, i would get the book thrown at me, and I don't certainly don't sit there and argue with my customer (YES, customer) that they are wrong and I'm right. We are all expected to know our jobs, and work within the guidelines of what is expected and required by our organizations. Cops are only different in the fact that, unlike my job, their bad decisions can cost lives.

My job (and customers) hold me accountable, and so should theirs.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join