It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is choosing to be single such an enigma to others? Why do people ostracize them?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius
reply to post by TDawgRex

No way Albert Fish

edit on 20-6-2012 by DoctorMobius because: (no reason given)

By the way, Albert Fish was married before he committed his first murder in 1910.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Marriage is simply a man made prison.

An AM radio talk show host summed it up best: Being single means being able to take a nap whenever the hell you want.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

It was reference to his age not martial status. I couldn't assess if the OP was married at one point or not, but the said he was older so I ran with it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius

It was reference to his age not martial status. I couldn't assess if the OP was married at one point or not, but the said he was older so I ran with it.

My apologies.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Not at all

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I do want to add that I don't feel sorry for people who jump from one bad relationship to another.

You're better off to stay single than put yourself through that mess.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Strange... I swear I experience just the opposite. I have a gf and no one wants to hang out. I don't have a gf and everyone wants to hang out. Maybe because I'm young? Who knows. The friends who just have to bring their significant other along for everything are annoying!!!!! Honestly, I prefer hanging out with people who don't need someone attached to their hip all the time. The most annoying individuals are the ones who are single for like a day and then have another bf/gf the next day.

I'm not sure I wanna get married. I've been saying it since I was kid but the older I get, the more it just seems to reinforce the idea. No offense ladies but even the decent take home to mom girls are not even decent take home to mom girls anymore. It's like they're all after one thing and they use one thing to get it and there go all the dumb dudes with their tongues out giving in.

XL5

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I have been single 32 years of my 32 year existance, partly by choice and partly by what others define as normal. No one seems to get in a relationship because they are lonly and want love acceptance and understanding, nooo they want super man, Clark Kent (normal), Mr. Trump, an ear and THEN maybe some love. Can they not just be happy with Robbin Williams or Shatner and love? God forbid if you are not what others deem normal though.

I have come to terms with being a single cross between Spock, Macgyver, Adam Savage and a bit of Sheldon Cooper. I really don't think there are girls with my brand of un-normal. Wish there were, but if they exist, they are not saying anything. It's not like people are honest with that sort of thing, just like no one will ever claim to be below avg IQ (not that I ask lol).

Too many think a relationship is 2.5 kids a white picket fence, hum-v and both parents working. I view a perfect relationship as a couple who have been happy and weird for 40 years or more sitting in an old folks home watching cartoons and giggiling like little children - nothing more nothing less.

If only there were more weird women, not crazy, just weird enough to see through what society deems a relationship should be. Maybe I shoul visit the insane asylum for a woman who thinks shes a Vulcan lol.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I’m curious as to this phenomena. Many have been through it before. Those who have broke up or divorced from their significant other. They get excluded from certain events. Why is that? Are they not good enough for you? Do they remind you of your own vulnerabilities? Or maybe they’ve never been married and you just think that’s creepy.

Why would a single friend who you think is a good person deserve such treatment?(

Good old thread this. Worth resurrecting.

This sums it up succinctly. The simple answer is I don't know.

I'm one of 6 siblings and the only one I have any physical contact with is my divorced brother.

The others are married.

I get the occasional email from one of my sisters basically to check I'm still alive.

If I got married tomorrow I can imagine them all suddenly crawling out of the woodwork.

'Glad to see you've joined the human race. Fancy coming over?'

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join