It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stay at home women degrade the status of women in our society.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I never understood this argument, personally if I had the choice of staying at home and spending time with my children, or going to work so I can spend my time fighting my way through traffic, dealing with horrible people trying to climb the greasy pole, have to sit through meetings, do work that I don't enjoy, and pay huge chunks of the fruits of my labours to the tax man - well I'd choose staying at home every time.

It all depends on what you value in life I guess, money and status, or a good, happy life with happy kids.

And I'm a man by the way.

Go stay at home parents!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I'd refer you back to my original post on the previous page of this thread where i state that I am a 'post modern marxist feminist' and what utter tripe feminism has become purely because it continually attempts to prove its intellectual legitimacy. Your selective quoting of my reply to your post omitted the key point re your poor analogy....your rotten painting skills has zero impact on society at large.

Selective quoting? All i missed out was the last little line about Social services, Hardly important.
And i'll refer you back to my post that states the simple analogy:

OP is pissed because a feminist on the radio does not validate the work they do around the house.
Im pissed because the world at large does not validate the picture i drew
Do either of these warrant a thread on ATS?

The answer is NO.
Because as a human being you shouldn't need anyone else to validate your existence.

Therefore i can rightly assume that this is just another thread made to bash feminism because someone hurt your feelings.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
As was inevitable the thread has turned into perceived categories of 'feminist' / 'non feminist' squabbling.

Can't some people see the truth in the matter that not all peoples lives are picture perfect family units and many women have to / like to work and should have the right to.

People saying inflammatory statements under the flag of 'feminism' or any other organised group should be seen as such. Perhaps their intention was defamation of 'feminism' in general.

Seriously, if a store worker said ''damned customers wasting time'' would it be ok to then damn all storeworkers based on a comment from an individual? Attacking feminism is ridiculous. Would you think it ok for your female relatives to suffer the way women did hundreds of years ago? I doubt it. Be thankful for feminism making the world a safer place for women and children and a more palatable society in general.

Categorising and chastising people with lack of insight is anathema to a healthy functioning society.
edit on 19-6-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

reply to post by theabsolutetruth

You are failing to make a subtle differentiation in the influence ..but being in the UK i understand where you are coming from .

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by R0CR13

You are failing to make a subtle differentiation in the influence ..but being in the UK i understand where you are coming from .

Wrong.

The posts I made are true. Feminism wasn't invented for suffering of women. Feminism was around way before Rockafella and evolved naturally for the betterment of women's lives and equality in society. The likes of Rockafella perhaps tried manipulating this to their own ends.
edit on 19-6-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I agree the Movement has been CoOpted and it was not designed to benefit women or men .

The results speak for themselves

Don't confuse the pivotal events as the same program .

I marched for Civil Rights in that time ..I've seen the results over the last 50 years .

We are far worse off as a society now as opposed to then .

I'm not telling Women to stay at home or go into the market ..as if there is a choice nowadays ..

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The thing is, it's all about economical equality. Not the kind of work. But the fact that an employer pays you for work done. An employer who has no other attachment to you.

I can't imagine not earning my own cash.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by grandmakdw

When a mom (or a dad) stays home to care for a newborn child on maternity protection, than that's allright with me, but they should go back to work as soon as possible.

If housekeeping is the only job you can do (due to lack of a proper education or whatever) you should either apply for a better qualification - or, if you can't / don't want to - just go ahead and work as a housekeeper.

Now I wouldn't call housekeeping a 1%’er job... cause it's a minimum wage job after all, but I think staying home indefinitely as a woman nowadays is outdated, unnecessary, and simply put... it's lazy.

Ok, then should I put my Mom in a nursing home rather than go over daily to help her stay in her home? Is that being lazy on my part? If I work I'm sure there are people who would care for her, probably not in the loving and kind way her daughter would, but she'd get over that, right?
Should I tell my daughter, since you are an executive, hire a nanny to take care of your children for out of school activities? Then I can work.? My grandchildren can see me when I have time, making sure they feel loved and cared for is unnecessary isn't it? A nanny can do those chores, to hell with feeling loved and cared for.
Should I tell my husband who has multiple health issues so I do what used to be his "chores" to suck up the pain and do them again? Then I can go back to work and not be so lazy?
Should I just donate money to the places I help rather than my time so I'm not so lazy?

I lived in Germany for 6 years total, I know that having more than 1 child is frowned upon, which is a huge societal pressure, 2 children are tolerated, but families of 3 or more are considered excessive and face societal disapproval. So now the native German people are dying off and being replaced by immigrants who value their people who choose to sacrifice (it is not laziness at all! sorry) to care for the family as an "occupation".

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Not really. If you consider yourself a feminist than you have added an unnecessary descriptor that does more dividing than it does uniting and equating.

"Feminism" was an over reaction to a problem that was already on the mend because the woman's rights movement had already started things in motion, but with sense.

I can't make a long post right now from my phone, but feminism hurts women, relationship/communication between sexes, and society, more than it does anything to help it.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
The thing is, it's all about economical equality. Not the kind of work. But the fact that an employer pays you for work done. An employer who has no other attachment to you.

I can't imagine not earning my own cash.

I'm sort of curious, IF I'm staying at home to help take care of my father who can't take care of himself, what would YOU say is my economic value, since I don't have anyone paying me for helping him, feeding him, cleaning his home, cleaning his clothes, etc? I also have no medical or dental insurance and have to pay cash for all of that. So, since I have no one paying me who has no other attachment to me, this means what to my standings as far as economic equality? What if I don't earn cash this month but I DO make sure my father takes his meds, gets good food and doesn't have to live in a nursing home full of strangers who treat patients like numbers? Are you saying that has no worth in our economy?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Opportunia

I'm talking about economical independence, which I prefer. Ain't saying that that is always an option! I am not interested in the whole degrading etc. discussion. I don't want the man I am with to pay for me
Sounds too much like the oldest profession in the world

EDIT: not that I wouldn't rock as a "kept woman" hahaha.
edit on 19-6-2012 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

How can a human being know they exist without confirmation from another human being or lifeform ?

also Art is a major contributing factor to society and civilisation , some art movements have shaped the world beyond belief !

Bauhaus is a prime example

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Also what is economic equality ! are you certain that such a thing exists in reality
I am not aware that it does.

the way the world is right now economic equality is a pipe dream no one has equal footing in the economic ladder.
edit on 19-6-2012 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

reply to post by QueenofWeird

"kept woman"

Good example of Social Stigmatization designed to infer a negative .. Who spreads this thought how did it evolve into a negative ?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm at work (hehe), so haven't had time to read this WHOLE thread... but just wanted to chime in.

People who call stay at home parents lazy or not valuable are simply ignorant. My husband is a stay at home dad, we have a 5 month old, and it is SO MUCH HARDER than the desk job I go to every day. I'm SO GRATEFUL for my husband, and so glad we're not having to put our baby in daycare!!! Not to mention, if our baby was in daycare, the money my husband would bring home in work would be barely anything... daycare is expensive.

The "haters" just don't think through these things. ;-)
edit on 19-6-2012 by ConspiracyReally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
If I did have children , and I could afford not to work and stay at home and raise them through the most important years of development for any human , then I'd do it. I certainly wouldnt care what any feminist or politician or anyone else for that matter thinks about me if I did !

what is more important , making a living or making sure your family are able to look after themselves when the time comes .

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

More like . men who force their wives to stay at home are the ones who should be blamed , majority of the times these women are trapped and find it hard to get out of that vicious cycle men put them through....that article is full of #.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
OH BTW ...my wife does work , she actually wakes up way earlier than I do ....I have to wake up my 5 year old and make sure he dressed and fed before going to school and it's the hardest hour of the day for me ...man what a little devil. LOL.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
If I did have children , and I could afford not to work and stay at home and raise them through the most important years of development for any human , then I'd do it. I certainly wouldnt care what any feminist or politician or anyone else for that matter thinks about me if I did !

what is more important , making a living or making sure your family are able to look after themselves when the time comes .

PLUS in order to make a living, you then have to send your child off to daycare (before the schooling years) or to private school (for the schooling years)... which costs money... sometimes a LOT of money... so WHAT are you making a living for exactly? : )

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

Thank you!

When I did work there was one school where most of my students were male athletes. I changed my curriculum when teaching different stages of Human Growth and Development. Every lecture included at least a few minutes on why a father is important in each stage of development. My goal was to make them good fathers as most had come from broken or single parent homes.
When they said "That's not the way Mom did it." I'd say most parents do their best in the circumstances given to them. However, it is my duty to teach what the research says is the best way to be parents that have healthy, happy, achieving children.
FYI: I did NOT go easy on them or pass them because they were athletes, I had a few run in's with the coaches about that. The NCAA, coaches and I had a couple of meetings about that issue. However, they still took my classes in droves. Many took every class I taught (4 different classes)
Could it be because I stressed the importance of fatherhood as well as overall importance of good parenting?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join