It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
So..the Green Lantern has come out. How will this affect the following and DC? I am a bit disappointed they did not just create a new character really. I have always liked Green Lantern but I am not so sure this was a good move for them.

Link to story

Green Lantern Gay

One of DC Comics oldest heroes is super-coming out. The original Green Lantern - a DC Comics mainstay for the past 70 years - will be revealed to be a gay man in next week's issue of "Earth 2." Alan Scott - formerly a married father of two who first appeared in 1940 - tips readers off to his sexuality early on in the comic when he gives his boyfriend a welcome home kiss. "He's very much the character he was. He's still the pinnacle of bravery and idealism. He's also gay," "Earth 2" writer James Robinson told The Post

edit on 6/1/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The Green Lantern Alan Scott is not the same as the Green Lanterns of the Green Lantern Corps. Alan Scott's powers are magic which comes from the Starheart, a magical entity once imprisoned by the Guardians.

Now, having clarified that, I shall continue to wear my Green Lantern (of the Green Lantern Corps) t-shirts, so it does not mean I am coming out as gay since the Corps are different from Alan Scott.

*shifts eyes side to side
edit on 1-6-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I can already hear Ryan Reynolds go...

"Say what ???"

Adapting comics to modern times.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Hey, even the Gay Community needs a Super Hero. I think it's just fine......

Des

+58 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Lets be hounest the green lantern was always gay

link   

Why was this done....? I think the rush to make everything gay-approved could really backfire. Only like 5-6% of the population is gay and I'm sick of always hear about it. People are ACTUALLY being persecuted all over the world but by being in America you'd think we kept our gays, like Ryan Reynolds, in cages until it was time for them to go do crappy movies.

+21 more 
link   

*sigh*

Why couldn't it have been Wonder Woman?

Oh well.

DC is PC, now.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

*sigh*

Why couldn't it have been Wonder Woman?

Ha! That would have been great!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

really!? here comes the polotical correct BS? What about real life shouldn't that be what kids reading comics take away, the grand ole Morel of the marvel?

how about instead of having a homosexual hero we deal with real life like, the hero stepping in on such hate crimes and sticking up for the gays, there's no need to encourage in in young kids onto what they don't yet understand, let them make the decisions when they are older, 'not i wanna be gay like me fav hero'....lame just lame

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Actually it's 10-15%

And. Child idolizing a gay man won't make him want to be gay. Anymore than idolizing a black hero makes a kid want to be black

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Doesn't it seem like DC is just throwing a gay character out there just to have one?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

I can already hear Ryan Reynolds go...

"Say what ???"

Adapting comics to modern times.

Yeah.....kinda threw him under the bus for a sequel. I have nothing wrong with anyone being gay, but I really think this should have been a new character. While I have nothing wrong with it, think of all the die hard Green Lantern fans that may.....and for DC to jump in to this political issue this late in the franchise is a bit off.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I always enjoyed the sexual tension between Lois and Superman, Spiderman and the redhead (?).

Are they going to incorporate this element into the 'zine?

Will be interesting to see how it sells.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Im not much for comics or fit men in tights but why does it matter?

He fought like alien invaders or something, right?

Are they planning on turning it into an Apartment 3G style whiny drama comic?

If all you're doing is beating up bad guys your personal life doesnt matter one bit.

I wonder if this will hurt or help GL merchandise sales?

I can just see all the nerdy GL t-shirt wearing types getting hit on all the time as if it were some sort of "gay symbol" they have draped over their chest.
edit on 1-6-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Superheros already wore those FABULOUS tights. Full blown gayness isn't exactly a shocker considering that.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaughterOfARevolver

really!? here comes the polotical correct BS? What about real life shouldn't that be what kids reading comics take away, the grand ole Morel of the marvel?

how about instead of having a homosexual hero we deal with real life like, the hero stepping in on such hate crimes and sticking up for the gays, there's no need to encourage in in young kids onto what they don't yet understand, let them make the decisions when they are older, 'not i wanna be gay like me fav hero'....lame just lame

It depends on how they handle it, I am all for subtle. But it seems any form of media these days needs to blatant and shocking so
We might have him wearing green chaps and sashaying through the air...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
So that's why Scott's weakness is wood. Now that I have that out of my system I want to point out, like was mentioned early on, this isn't the Green Lantern most people know. The one in the movie was Hal Jordan and he is part of an intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps. This is Alan Scott.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I think he is kissing K.D. Lang in that picture.

Which would be ultra-weird. Weird enough to open a portal (no pun or double entendre intended).

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

as long as he still kicks ass i could care less.

not like any comic book straight relationships were stable anyway

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join