It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity in one word: Anti-homosexual

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
i was gonna comment on how repulsive some of the posters comments are but i thought it would be more amusing to post this

ScienceDaily (Apr. 6, 2012) — Homophobia is more pronounced in individuals with an unacknowledged attraction to the same sex and who grew up with authoritarian parents who forbade such desires, a series of psychology studies demonstrates.

The study is the first to document the role that both parenting and sexual orientation play in the formation of intense and visceral fear of homosexuals, including self-reported homophobic attitudes, discriminatory bias, implicit hostility towards gays, and endorsement of anti-gay policies. Conducted by a team from the University of Rochester, the University of Essex, England, and the University of California in Santa Barbara, the research will be published the April issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"Individuals who identify as straight but in psychological tests show a strong attraction to the same sex may be threatened by gays and lesbians because homosexuals remind them of similar tendencies within themselves," explains Netta Weinstein, a lecturer at the University of Essex and the study's lead author.

"In many cases these are people who are at war with themselves and they are turning this internal conflict outward," adds co-author Richard Ryan, professor of psychology at the University of Rochester who helped direct the research.

The paper includes four separate experiments, conducted in the United States and Germany, with each study involving an average of 160 college students. The findings provide new empirical evidence to support the psychoanalytic theory that the fear, anxiety, and aversion that some seemingly heterosexual people hold toward gays and lesbians can grow out of their own repressed same-sex desires, Ryan says. The results also support the more modern self-determination theory, developed by Ryan and Edward Deci at the University of Rochester, which links controlling parenting to poorer self-acceptance and difficulty valuing oneself unconditionally.

The findings may help to explain the personal dynamics behind some bullying and hate crimes directed at gays and lesbians, the authors argue. Media coverage of gay-related hate crimes suggests that attackers often perceive some level of threat from homosexuals. People in denial about their sexual orientation may lash out because gay targets threaten and bring this internal conflict to the forefront, the authors write.

The research also sheds light on high profile cases in which anti-gay public figures are caught engaging in same-sex sexual acts. The authors cite such examples as Ted Haggard, the evangelical preacher who opposed gay marriage but was exposed in a gay sex scandal in 2006, and Glenn Murphy, Jr., former chairman of the Young Republican National Federation and vocal opponent of gay marriage, who was accused of sexually assaulting a 22-year-old man in 2007, as potentially reflecting this dynamic.

"We laugh at or make fun of such blatant hypocrisy, but in a real way, these people may often themselves be victims of repression and experience exaggerated feelings of threat," says Ryan. "Homophobia is not a laughing matter. It can sometimes have tragic consequences," Ryan says, pointing to cases such as the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard or the 2011 shooting of Larry King.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Raelsatu

One implies a 'natural' attraction to a person of the same sex

What's 'natural' about that specifically? Homosexuals cannot reproduce. That goes completely against 'nature'.

edit on 15-5-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

because homosexual behavior is found through out the animal kingdom herp derp
edit on 16-5-2012 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by paganini

The people that post those repulsive comments... all you can do is pity them. In this day and age they are becoming a minority in terms of those beliefs.

It's hard not be offended and I am straight! But I only feel pity for them... small minds

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Gay people in a couple words to us normal people is unatural thoughts and ideations due to faulty brain chemistry/ wiring. Gay people exist because something traumatic happened to them at a young age like a divorce or molestation or PTSD or even slow development.. Therefor their brain doesn't form normally like the rest of soceity and therefor become disturbed and have homosexualic tendencies. Please remember all the priests who did the evil deeds in the catholic religion molested little boys. (and they were "GAY") and their not thinking normally due to imbalanced brain chemistry. That's the real reason why people become gay. Please spread this info so that it might help you and the others know the real reason and arrive for a way to fix this brain imbalance. Stay strong.. Hopefully one day doctors Will be able to fix this imbalance, science will find a way, dont worry.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by omegafire

What do you care!

Just leave them alone and let them be! They are not hurting you and attacking your lifestyle or lovelife so why do you feel the need to stick your nose into theirs!

Get over it and get back to your own life.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Islam and Judaism are as well, but if you took a cut to the penis for your faith I guess you have a harder time to do away with it and accept that its just all makebelieve based on true events whose accounts are so far removed from what actually happened (according to historians) that it is all a work of fiction.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

That entire post didn't make any sense to me at all?

No offence though
It may just be me not understanding your post properly.

So are you pro or against?

edit on 16-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
AS a general reply, I just don't get why people are so against the issue...

My mum is the same, she talks about it like there is something wrong with a person if they are gay, watching debates or talk show stuff etc. I just shake my head at some comments, she went as far as to say it was a genetic problem.... really??

WTF!

My opinion on the issue is who cares! I mean really who cares!

It does not hurt me if a gay couple wants to get married, it does not affect my life in anyway whatsoever so why should I have any type of opinion on an issue that does not affect me. I will say good on them for finding love!

We should all be so lucky no matter what our sexual preference!

To all the haters out there, just get over it and get on with your own life and be happy. Stop being angry or cynical for no reason but for having hatred...

This comes under the same area as racism and it all comes to ignorance.

Peace and happiness peeps!

A life of hatred is toxic!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX

Originally posted by Planet teleX

reply to post by Raelsatu

One implies a 'natural' attraction to a person of the same sex

What's 'natural' about that specifically? Homosexuals cannot reproduce. That goes completely against 'nature'.

Cultivated bananas are parthenocarpic, which makes them sterile and unable to produce viable seeds. Lacking seeds, propagation typically involves farmers removing and transplanting part of the underground stem (called a corm).

Banana

Humans are not considered produce.

Yet you are talking about the "reproduction" of humans.

"Produce" as in the produce section of the supermarket. Humans are not fruits or vegetables. We have a higher standard of ethics and morality than carrots or zucchini.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

So your saying that Aids was created by the gay community??

Really wow that is the first I have heard of that idea

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
reply to post by NOTurTypical

This is not hasty generalization fallacy.
Take a look at the reasons that those who say they are Christians use religion as a weapon against homosexuals, and you will see that the case is always the same: They pick the laws from the old testament of the bible, namely Leviticus, to justify their belief, yet ignore the rest of the laws in the Old Testament. They do not see that there are more laws than just a few there, and yet when confronted with that fact they tend to get upset. And it is not just a few people, nor is this a bash Christians, while everyone else gets a free pass. This is pointing out the problems with an old belief, that even today some of the greatest spiritual minds are stumped as to how the various beliefs are able to handle if not guide people with problems that are not really mentioned in the bible.

The reality is that most of the Judaic religions are full of contradictions and hypocrisy, in their belief and use of religion to justify the actions on a whole. Before the whole gay issue, there were times when religion was used to justify a whole range of behaviors in society that many of us today abhorred and tend to react negatively to. Slavery is one such idea and practice, where the bible was used to justify the keeping and enslaving a people against their will, all cause it was mentioned in the bible, but a few saw that this was not the way and started to work on ending this horrible practice. Every time there is something new or that challenges what would be considered the social norm, religion takes a stance and will use the holy writings as either justification for or against such. And history is loaded with examples of where religion was used as a weapon, rather than something to be inclusive. It goes far back in time, to even before the time of Christ, and continued to this very day. The question is when does the cycle stop and people use religion as something to include others in, rather than as a weapon.

It is a hasty generalization fallacy whether you agree to it or not, sorry to disappoint you. You excluded other religions that also preach/teach against homosexuality as well as the non-religious who do the same. Condemn all or none, hypocrisy isn't a desirable human attribute.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

lmao religion.... hypocrisy at it's best....

What happened to everyone being equal?? It's more that religion is twisted to suit those enforcing the religion at the time.
Like what happened with science a couple hundred years ago...

It's all the same crap.

Also I am not pointing a finger at any one religion, they are all as bad as the other. The Greeks and Romans distorted many views on religions that go much further back.

All religion is built to control and manipulate, even after being raised catholic I have chosen to have my own views on religion.

It's sad but it was a necessity for a time but that time is gonna end sooner rather than later because the real truth is that religious and racist biast are the cause of many of the largest wars...

It's sad..

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Homosexuality is against nature, why do you think the government wants people to worry about it so much.

Why would polygamy still be illegal and they will try to push gay marriage... Come on people, homosexuality is not good at all. It has nothing to do with "this is just who I am I can't help it". It is against nature.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by omegafire

So what happened to you that your brain didn't form normally?

Nothing happened to me, I am gay, I wasn't molested, my parents stayed married until my father passed away and then my mother so by all accounts they are still married, no PTSD, but at least I can spell and form a proper sentence! Go get yourself an education before you start judging others in bad English!

Please don't worry about the gays, worry about yourself, we don't need doctors or scientists to fix this imagined imbalance because there is nothing wrong with us, unfortunately for you there is and never will be a cure!
edit on 16/5/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

You're against nature. What can I say.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

At least get what you are right! You are a Homophobe!

Sources for your accusations?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by omegafire
and their not thinking normally due to imbalanced brain chemistry. That's the real reason why people become gay.

If this was true, then the physiological defect could be detected with proper medical equipment. If there's no defect, then it's in their genes. You can't change genes.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I know I'm late to this thread but I would just like to reply to this...

Considering 95% of the Bible does not concern homosexuals, it's pretty obvious that your angle has nothing to do with truth. With that said, I believe the word you were looking for is "Homophobia", not "Christianity".

This is exactly the OP's point.

The fact that 95% of the Bible does not concern homosexuals, but yet 95 % of Christianity condemns them and are practically obsessed with them, or obsessed with scorning them.

edit on 16-5-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NewerBeing

You have no argument and no proof of your statement!

2nd!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by paganini

because homosexual behavior is found through out the animal kingdom herp derp

And how many offspring is there resulting from such behavior? My dogs will mount eachother as a sign of dominance, not sexual attraction.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join