It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity in one word: Anti-homosexual

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
From the original post...yes, Christians ARE aniti gay. Read Romans Chapter 1. I usually just read what everyone else posts', but in this regard, i decided to post for the first time. I respect everyone's opinions.

I am a Christian. I disagree with the church in many regards. However, according to the Bible, it specifically states that homosexuality is a sin against God. So if you are a true Christian and do believe in the Bible, then yes, you are anti gay. Simple and straight forward. Really no gray area there

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
One word for the OP, His post and all other sheep in the world who agree with him ---- ''anti-common sense''.
I wanna add that i ain't christian but a hindu.
And i also consider Jesus as my saviour.

edit on 16-5-2012 by deepankarm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm
One word for the OP, His post and all other sheep in the world who agree with him ---- ''anti-common sense''.

The bigotry of pretend Christians is not the same as common sense.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

But pederasty and child abuse are ok in Christianity... what a crazy religion. No homosexuality between adults is allowed (unless you're in a monastery) but priests and bishops touching little boys, is okay? Eeeew!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bastet11
I am a Wiccan now, and have been for about a decade. However, I grew up as a Christian. A Jehovah's Witness to be exact. And I can say in all accuracy that I might have heard the phrase "men who lie with men" once or even twice in all the years we studied with the Witnesses. It was certainly not a focus in any way, and would have just been grouped into a vast array of things that should be avoided. We were certainly never taught to hate homosexuals or even judge them. It was barely even a blip in the teachings..
This was in the 80's. Now in 2012, the word "homosexual" is shoved down my throat more times a day than I can count. Not a day goes by that this term or the like is somehow brought into every aspect of life, from politics to culture to music to art to religion, ad nauseum.
I could not care less what you do in your lifestyle, so long as you are not hurting anyone with it. But unfortunately I am not granted the same favor, as I am forced to listen about gay this, gay that, gay everything. One would think that heterosexuals are a minority with all the news and threads of "You evil anti-homosexuals" on here.
There is nothing wrong with being anti-homosexual (as in, the act of homosexuality). I refuse to even use the term "homophobia" because that implies that I am fearful of homosexuals. As I said, I could care less what you do in your own homes, but the line is crossed when it becomes the topic of focus all around. I don't want to hear heterosexuals talk about their sex lives, and I don't want to hear homosexuals talk about it either.
Since when did your sex life become your defining identity?? Aren't you something other than gay? A teacher, a scientist, a community leader, an artist, a coach, a veterinarian? Sexuality should remain in the private aspects of your life. I can guarantee the only reason I even know someone is gay in the first place is because they identify themselves as such. Who cares? When someone asks me what I am, or what I do, my reply would be "I am a mother of 2 kids. I am a homeschooling teacher." or the like. Not "I am straight!"
I am just sick of this attitude wherein if you do not care for the gay lifestyle, you are labeled as a fundamentalist, or Christian (as if that is the worst insult), or a homophobe, or an idiot. Gays have their preferences, I have mine. I would rather find the middle ground. Such as, everyone needs to wake up and realize we are being divided here over trivial s**t and our attention is being diverted from the causes and events that really matter.
Anyway, off my soapbox.

Speaking as a heterosexual father of two, I do not consider discrimination against a group of people with a set of traits which they can not help to be 'trivial'.

I also believe you will hear a lot less about homosexuals when they are afforded the same rights as everybody else. When you are not free to live a 'normal' life, it is hard for the you to move beyond those traits which makes other people treat you differently. You have two choices, either try and hide it from the rest of the world or revel in it. Like it or not these traits which prevent you from getting married, or adopting children, or being treated like everyone else in school or work cannot help but begin to define a major amount of your own personal identity.

I'm sorry that all this 'evil anti-homosexual' propaganda is distracting you from far more important issues such as the ridiculous state of the U.S. political scene or what the latest lolcat poster is on icanhazcheezburger.com.

As a fellow pagan I would have thought you of all people would know what it would be like to be judged unfairly on some aspect of your person, but I guess I was wrong. I guess the anti-homosexual issue really a Christian one as Asktheanimals proved on the last page, its more a case of those who are either bigoted and want to use their belief system as an excuse to further their sad agenda; or, like you, people who don't want to be shocked out of their apathetic little world by a group who are suffering because of those bigots.

edit on 16/5/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
To those claiming Christianity isn't Anti-Gay, would you agree with the opposite?

Christianity is Pro-Gay.

What about apathy?

Christianity isn't concerned with homosexuality.

Would love to see some scriptural support for anyone claiming anything other than "God"'s Anti-Gay message.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Well, I'll say it, but I don't want Christians rewriting it...they've had too much time to think things over - we may get a bible that makes sense, and who wants that..?

Oh right, so then people can gather round and claim the Bible has been rewritten ? God hasn't judged anyone who is gay in today's world as of yet. So how can anyone judge the Bible ? I think the Bible makes it clear that there is hope for all of us sinners. It is even made as easy as it could possibly be. Obviously God doesn't agree with every life style. Doesn't mean he agrees with what I'm doing either tho. Sometimes Face even you are completely off the mark. Which is the definition of sin.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by indyman
From the original post...yes, Christians ARE aniti gay. Read Romans Chapter 1. I usually just read what everyone else posts', but in this regard, i decided to post for the first time. I respect everyone's opinions.

I am a Christian. I disagree with the church in many regards. However, according to the Bible, it specifically states that homosexuality is a sin against God. So if you are a true Christian and do believe in the Bible, then yes, you are anti gay. Simple and straight forward. Really no gray area there

Hold on here. If you want to disagree with the church and bible DO NOT single out Christians.

Is the New Testament Jewish? - Jews for Jesus
jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/10_5/newtestament - Similarto Is the New Testament Jewish? - Jews for Jesus

Dec 31, 1995 ... The most prolific New Testament writer, Paul, wrote almost half of the 27 New Testament books. His Jewish background is indisputable. He was

edit on 5/16/2012 by longjohnbritches because: url

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeo

My friend, everyone in this world is a bigot.
There is no shame in being one and accepting it for what you consider right....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have a better word for Most Christian groups: FAKE

They do nothing but wear masks and pretend they are something they are not.

I believe in Christ, but I do not believe in how churches are run today.

Of the 7 deadly sins, I often see the following on a regular basis

GLUTTONY
GREED
ENVY
PRIDE
WRATH

These I see regularly within church members who are the loudest voices.

The other 2 LUST and SLOTH are also seen but not as regularly in out in the open, mostly behind closed doors, though my grandfather was a pastor and compared to him, 90% of pastors are very guilty of SLOTH.

So conclusion, they are also two faced and their all knowing ways and willingness to point to one sin in the bible as a way to place judgment on a person, but fail to see the sins they themselves have done is the worst sin of them all. I think that one is called PRIDE.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Christianity in one word, "Divine Love".

Knowing and having a relationship with God and his Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is an absolutely wonderful experience. I recommend it to everyone. Don't let hypocrisy and all the negativity from people steer you away from what is good, comforting, lasting and real.

In my opinion of course...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
To those claiming Christianity isn't Anti-Gay, would you agree with the opposite?

Christianity is Pro-Gay.

What about apathy?

Christianity isn't concerned with homosexuality.

Would love to see some scriptural support for anyone claiming anything other than "God"'s Anti-Gay message.

As others have pointed out.
The gay subject is universal and is not owned by Christianity.
Only a super ignorant person would believe it does.
If you are an honest person you would address homosexuality from a philosophical angle that applies to ALL humanity. Even animals if that's your bag.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by SaturnFX

Then you don't know a great deal about Christianity.

I don't have to. Not the point of the thread.

When asked by The Barna Group what words or phrases best describe Christianity, the top response among Americans ages 16-29 was “antihomosexual.” For a staggering 91 percent of non-Christians, this was the first word that came to their mind when asked about the Christian faith. The same was true for 80 percent of young churchgoers. (The next most common negative images? : “judgmental,” “hypocritical,” and “too involved in politics.”)

That is the point of the thread.

Bad marketing..suggestions on how to fix it?

From what this thread shows, is that...no..there is no suggestions..there is no possible way the christian flock or church will even attempt to alter their image.

But it is an amusing thread, isn't it. look at all these pages of defending and such..look at how many posts think I wrote the damn survey or something and started getting angry at me. heh.

well no worries...give it a few more years of this and it will kick up to 95% I suppose.

link   

Originally posted by Amadeo

My friend, everyone in this world is a bigot.
There is no shame in being one and accepting it for what you consider right....

Maybe there is a certain level of bigotry in some people but I disagree with your statement that there is no shame in it. Bigotry is born of ignorance and fear. You can embrace your own ignorance and fear if you like but I prefer to live without fear and hate in my heart. You should try it sometime.

link   
reply to post by Amadeo

Your right, I was being sarcastic. Grow adults can do whatever they want in their homes. Gay marriage is a public matter though. We don't allow prostitution because we don't want our daughters to grow up thinking that's acceptable. We don't allow gay marriage for the same reason.

Where do we draw the line on morality is my point. If gays why not polygamy, etc. don't see how this isn't a valid question..?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Definition of Christianity:

Believer in Christ as the son of God who died for the sins of man.

Simple as that, no where does the definition say:

Christianity: a people who are heterosexual and have a right to judge others who are not heterosexual.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
I have a better word for Most Christian groups: FAKE

They do nothing but wear masks and pretend they are something they are not.

I believe in Christ, but I do not believe in how churches are run today.

Of the 7 deadly sins, I often see the following on a regular basis

GLUTTONY
GREED
ENVY
PRIDE
WRATH

These I see regularly within church members who are the loudest voices.

The other 2 LUST and SLOTH are also seen but not as regularly in out in the open, mostly behind closed doors, though my grandfather was a pastor and compared to him, 90% of pastors are very guilty of SLOTH.

So conclusion, they are also two faced and their all knowing ways and willingness to point to one sin in the bible as a way to place judgment on a person, but fail to see the sins they themselves have done is the worst sin of them all. I think that one is called PRIDE.

Do you not see the falicay of your rant?
You claim to be Chistrain therefore by proxy you are a HOMOPHOBE. That's what the OP contends anyway.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

You are a bigot and deceitful using whatever you can to promote a result rather than the truth.

Wait, WHAT??!!!! You didn't just say that, did you? Yeah, you did. You DID!! *slaps forehead and shakes head*

SaturnFX's paries have sliced your argument to ribbons. The OP presents a bit of information that he sourced, from a study he came across that was neither of his invention nor having to do with his "agenda". He is talking about whether the "faith" needs to reinvent itself or be allowed to die; he made no remark against homosexuals, or for them, either. He remains neutral on that topic, which is appropriate.

He is pointing out how YOUTHS see Christianity, according to the research group's chosen population for THEIR STUDY. They found what they found. How is that deceitful? How is it untrue?

Attacking his integrity and thoughtful deconstruction of what happened to "Christianity" is beyond lame....it's completely out of bounds. It is what it is. There is no room for "apologetics" here in this thread. The youth they questioned gave the answers they gave. The researchers published the findings they chose to publish.

The fact remains that, thank God!, much of today's youth is able to think critically, with empathy, and have the acumen to recognize HYPOCRISY when they see it, as well as HATE and JUDGMENT.

In my opinion, Saturn is the spot on, dead right, bulls-eye "winner" of this "debate." Christianity is an archaic relic of bigotry, hypocrisy, hidden agendas, control and fearmongering. It has no place in today's world.

Its essence lives on only in the personal spirituality of people who have rejected Organized Religion and refuse to be labelled a "Christian". And for my part, I'm glad of it. I'm part of it, too, but I do NOT consider myself a Christian. Everything I've learned about its hidden past, its atrocities and ongoing evil represents the OPPOSITE of what Christ wanted. He didn't even want churches or priests!

Yay for youths! You guys tell 'em!! Tell them what you SEE! They can whine and moan and fuss and throw verses at you all they want...who cares? Report what you see, and tell the world why you see it that way, how you feel about it, and what you think ought to be done about it!! Do it, do it!!

Deny ignorance. Please.
"Our lives begin to end the day we remain silent about things that matter." Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

edit on 16-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Gay marriage isn't a public matter. It's between the two gay people who want to marry each other. If you're not gay and not marrying another gay person then it's none of your damned business. In what way does two gay people marrying each other affect you in any way? Please list the effects.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So that makes him a "HOMOPHONE"? HIS WORD NOT MINE!

He is a Homophobe as are you!

Nope, I'm not scared of gay people. I work with quite a few, never have an anxiety attack, shortness of breath, or break out in a rash.

Sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join