It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I find it truly disheartening and downright disgusting to see individuals on here support the ban on same sex marriage. Who the hell are you to judge anyone? Just because it (for some sickening reason) offends you, means two people aren't allow to participate in marriage?

Grow the hell up already and realize that not everyone believes in your religious opinions. Also, this is the United States. Everyone deserves equal treatment whether they're gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, straight, black, hispanic, Asian, white, etc. Everyone deserves equality.

Get over it.

Clearly in NC the majority of people who bothered to vote are against gay marrige. so instead of throwing you handbag out the pram and telling people they would be better off in some middle eastern country bye and getting on you high horse why dont you get over it

By that logic, if the majority of people voted Yes for lynching, it'd be ok.

Sorry but it's 2012. Time for you to get over it, sweetie!!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's the basic conservative belief that all people are created equal; Some more equal than others.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

i'm a United States citizen and I believe that this is an insult to the ideas of "liberty". I know I may be biased because someday I wish to be married and in 30 states I am unable to be, but still, who do they think they are to do this?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u
reply to post by ellieN

Hey I lived in Western NC (Wilkesboro) for two years. It was like a whole town of Deliverance.
I think we were the only people in town that didn't go to a church. When they
found out we were a gay couple the church invitations stopped cold turkey. My co-workers
called me "City Slicker" even though I came from a small town in SC of about 22,000. Just
a weird experience.

Sorry....I lived there for awhile..quite a long time back..I got black balled for sitting with some black people at lunch on my second week at my work place. Co-workers refused to talk to me anymore and I was stunned!! I was an outcast . Even though I wasn't black..I found out what it was like to be shunned...
How long ago was it that you lived there.???

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Personal Liberty 0
Christian Dogma 1

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I would like to understand how banning same-sex marriage is a victory when it limits peoples rights to love who they want?

I personally think that the church, any religion really, should keep its nose out of law.

The law should recognise unions between people, regardless of gender. The church should learn its place and gtfo.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jagermeister
Shouldn't this be a church issue? Why does the state have authority of a church issue? Why does the state even care what you do in your bedroom? I don't care one way or the other but it seems a bit odd.

it's not odd at all, if you want to live back in the dark ages. religion and the church have no business having anything to do with government...that's what this whole country was founded on and fought for. when religous people use the right to "vote" to force others to live by laws, supposedly handed down by a mythical being, those laws should be immediately be deemed null and void.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Another sad day in the USoA. I guess the first amendment only applies to some people.

Why is it sad when the people of a STATE exercise their rights granted by the 10th amendment right?? Is same-sex marriage a constitutional right??

And what the hell is the 1st amendment an issue in this case??

What did I miss??

The first amendment separates church and state. It shouldn't be up to the states to ban gay marriage, only the churches.

edit on 9-5-2012 by shadowcat because: I forgot something.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
When gay people say that this is a civil rights issue, they are referring to facts such as:

1.They cannot make medical decisions for their partners in an emergency. Instead, the hospitals are usually forced by state laws to go to the families who may be estranged from them for decades, who are often hostile to them, and totally ignore their wishes for the treatment of their partners. If that hostile family wishes to exclude them from the hospital room, they may legally do so in nearly all cases. It is even not uncommon for hostile families to make decisions based on their hostility.

2.If their partner is arrested, they can be compelled to testify against them or provide evidence against them, which legally married couples are not forced to do.

3. In most cases, even carefully drafted wills and durable powers of attorney have proven to not be enough if a family wishes to challenge a will, overturn a custody decision, or exclude them from a funeral or deny them rights to visit a partner's grave.

4.As survivors, they can even sieze a real estate property that the LGBT couple may have been buying together for years, quickly sell it at a huge loss and stick the surviving partner with the remaining debt on a property they no longer own.

These aren't just theoretical issues, they happen with surprising frequency.
Almost any older gay couple can tell you horror stories of friends who have been victimized in such ways.

NC voted to enshrine these abuses into law...a very sad day.

I am a social libertarian christian and I call foul.

edit on 9-5-2012 by AliceBlackman because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
How does a sexual deviance qualify you as a minority? Will we have leather or rubber lobbyists? BDSM scholarships? Swinger candidates? Keep your bedroom activities out of politics, why in the world would anybody want to march in the streets over their sexual preferences, have some tact. It's my own opinions, but to me marrige is about lineage, husbandry, not assets associated with your sexual deviance.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

DENY IGNORANCE!

This rubbish has no place at ATS!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Enough said:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowcat

The churches shall have no such power!

That is not democracy! That is theocracy!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
Way to go N.C.

Keeping family values intact. At least we still have values and morals in N.C.

The whole USA should use this as an example and turn back to God.

Lack of values and morals and taking God out of government,local and state issues

is the reason America is suffering now.Take God out of every thing and forget him and he will

forget you.The American people need to wake up and turn back to God before it is to late.

This is my opinion and i will stand buy it. If you do not like it tuff. The Bible says Adam and Eve not

not Adam and Steve.

Was your comment meant to be ironical? You are aware that "God" didn't exist in the American government until around 1950, the same time America became obsessed with paranoia and hatred. We've been in a nose dive of greed and corruption ever since.

"The Bible says Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve?"

You know what else the bible says:

-Rape is okay
-Bestiality is okay
-Incest is okay
-Slavery is okay
-Football is a sin
-Seafood is a sin
-Children who talk back should be murdered

Since your "god" is so great, why don't you run off to meet him? Leave the rest of us here in peace.

Originally posted by Donkey_Dean
Personal Liberty 0
Christian Dogma 1

more like...

Christian Dogma - 1
God - 0

edit on 9-5-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by shadowcat

The churches shall have no such power!

That is not democracy! That is theocracy!

America is not a democracy. It is a constitutional republic built on morals and values based in christianity. You will have to kill the christians (me) to stop opposition. We are commanded to be salt and light. Without us this world will rot and be in total darkness.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb
We are commanded to be salt and light. Without us this world will rot and be in total darkness.

That sounds A LOT like rhetoric that could be used to further the cause of all kinds of tyranny.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
Enough said:

My daughter posted this on facebook..At least my county is not on the lowest rung of the Totem Pole.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I live in NC. My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to rent and the gentleman that owned the house was very happy about having us rent his mother's old home. When we got to the business of exchanging some information he noticed my girlfriends last name and mine were not the same. He got a weird look on his face and his demeanor changed toward us. We left and I thought little of it. Then he called the next day.

"Are you married?" he asked.

"No, we are not. We have been together for 18 years." I responded.

"Well I'm sorry I can't rent to you because you are not married. If you got married then I would rent to you."

I laughed. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah I just can't do it."

I got a little angry, "Well I'm not going to get married just so I can rent this house."

"Well I'm sorry but I just can't rent it to you then."

"Whatever!" I said and hung up the phone ...

These Jesus freaks with their self righteous attitudes really scare me ...

I wouldn't want to rent from that @sshat anyway. Glad I found out before we moved in ...

I wonder how he would have reacted to the swinger parties we were going to have there ...

Just kidding ....

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

Without us this world will rot and be in total darkness.

This is what Jesus has to say on the issue,

Matthew 18:15-17 15 "If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. 16 But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Anything stand out in that? What about "member of the church"? Perhaps Christians should focus on wrong doing (and believe me, there is much to tangle with) within their own group than trying to force their ideologies onto everyone else.

And if we're following the Bible, what about this...

Romans 14:10-13 10Why do you pass judgment on your brother or sister? Or you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God." 12So then, each of us will be accountable to God. 13Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another. NRSV

edit on 9-5-2012 by jacktorrance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

I'm not from the US and I think this is insane. Not only for denying the LGTB community of their basic rights but also because now 'marriage' is the only legal domestic union valid on NC, and hence everyone, including straight people, will be affected by this.

I'm sorry if it offends any US citizen but it seems to me that it's a huge distortion of democracy when a majority choses if a minority will have basic rights or not. Democracy should actually protect any minority because the sum of all minorities is what makes a population, so it's a huge hit to the system when any group get its liberties taken away. It's a sadden news and I don't think you have to be gay to understand how bad this is.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You are confusing democracy with a Constitutional republic. Here in the States we have a Republic with democratic elections.
edit on 9-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join