It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by seabag
Call the DAMN THING A CIVIL UNION and get your benefits!!

We all ask ourselves - Why are gays hung up on marriage?

Wrong. Te wording is “marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State”

Meaning that your partner in critical condition in the hospital is unrelated to you, and you cannot go see them, under many circumstances. My state is effing crazy. stupid rednecks. Eww god weee. God loves inequality.
He told me so yup.

Judging by the media coverage I don't think most people around here even know what civil unoins are. If they do, they sure as hell didn't know this amendment one had anything to do with civil unions, I sure didn't.

I voted against it.

There's a map of the counties in NC I saw last night while searching for the results. If you look at the few counties who as a whole voted against amendment one you will see that it's around where the only smart people in North Carolina are. All the doctors in Chapel Hill (UNC) Durham (Duke) and Raleigh (REX, NCSU). which is also where you would live if you work at Research Triangle Park.

Those 3 make the Triangle of Sanity as I not so jokingly call it. Also my current county is one that voted against, but here I am in another college town, Boone (APP State)..

Stray to far away from these places and it's all:
"be careful at walmart there's drunk mexicans there."
"those apartments are where the Koreans live."
"I saw a coon down the road paw." (coon is not an animal in this case)
Or how about this little gem:
"The Mexicans ride the bus, the blacks ride the trains, and white people drive cars."

Racist, Sexist, pricks in NC... Now I remember why I don't vote for anything here... It doesn't even matter...
to quote Scar in Lion King : "I'm suurrounded by Idiots."

hope you're happy losers.
edit on 5/9/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

You can't seriously expect Christians to not pass judgments on others can you?

How else will they get to feel so superior and righteous?

Like I said biggest hypocrites I ever met ...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just because two people love each other and have the same reproductive organs, doesn't mean people should deny them of their rights to be married and share that love with one another.

The God and Creator of life that I have come to know and understand would never hate someone and banish them to hell just because that someone loves another who has the same reproductive organs as them.

The Bible has a lot of stories that teach good morals but I don't believe that punishment and hatred from God for being with someone who is the same sex as you is one of them.

We should share in the love of one another and not hate someone just because of who they love.

We can all learn from love, we can never learn from hatred.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

While I would love it, it isn't me that expects it. It's their God. Kind of funny, huh?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Not all of us are like that, just the crazy fundamentalist ones.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacktorrance

While I would love it, it isn't me that expects it. It's their God. Kind of funny, huh?

One of the ultimate ironies...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

If Jesus came back Christians would crucify him ...

God must be lonely up there in heaven ...

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

On topic - I voted against it as well. Although, I'm in a county that voted majority FOR it.

Off topic - Nice to meet you.

I'm attending App this fall and looking forward to it! I didn't realize there were any other Mountaineers on ATS.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

If Jesus came back Christians would crucify him ...

God must be lonely up there in heaven ...

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

That shouldn't have made me laugh,

but bahaha I can't stop...

lol sorry Jesus, we don't like your kind round heyere.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Completely agree

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
so gays are upset there is legislation put in place to prevent them from throwing their lives away in the way that heterosexual men are encouraged to do? marriage is a big chain that many people are painting gold. nothing wrong with being limited but deep down no one likes it. that is man's nature, he hates limitations
edit on 9-5-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

America is not a democracy. It is a constitutional republic built on morals and values based in christianity. You will have to kill the christians (me) to stop opposition. We are commanded to be salt and light. Without us this world will rot and be in total darkness.

Without you every man and woman will be treated as equals. Without you the world will slip into "light" not darkness. Let's not forget that Christianity demonizes knowledge and logical thinkers. To stand for what Amendment One stands for is to stand against the very things that those Christian founders fought and died for. Your religious oppression spits on the American colors, and in the face of liberty and freedom.

I've been warring over this subject all over the net and it's cost me a couple of relationships. On the bright side, and ironically enough, this whole Amendment One mess has managed to uncloset every bigot in the state, which is kind of refreshing.... in a completely horrifying kind of way.

link   

On topic - I voted against it as well. Although, I'm in a county that voted majority FOR it.

Off topic - Nice to meet you.

I'm attending App this fall and looking forward to it! I didn't realize there were any other Mountaineers on ATS.

haha Nice! Well It's a nice place to live, the cops don't ever arrest anyone, the parties are top notch, the girls are all right... Haha.. There's even hippy people lol.

I'm moving to Raleigh pretty soon ,it's my girls last semester. The only really sad thing is there are not enough black people around here. I miss my black peoples... I'm white, but I just miss black people so much

Party up in Boone Town - Mickey T
edit on 5/9/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by twitchy

Hi Twitch--

I imagine most of the Angst among gays & lesbians (and bi-sexuals & the Transgendered etc.) centres around simply not being allowed full human-rights i.e. as US citizens -- who are theoretically supposed to be (ahem) 'equal' - I guess in Puritanical America, all citizens are equal, but some (read : Breeders) are more equal than others...

In other words, in some way, shape or form, gays & lesbians & the transgendered, by laws dis-allowing them full marriage status in the US, would be tantamount to being regarded (at least by Law) as 'less than equal' (i.e. in some way 'inferior') to heterosexuals who have no restrictions (outside of the New Testament, which forbids Divorce under ANY circumstances among Christians - despite some heavy-handed scribal tampering with hand copied MSS in the 1st canonical Greek Gospel 'according to Matthew' whoever he was) couplings....

Putting all the blatant hypocrisy among modern Christians (ref their idiotic stance on Divorce) aside though, it does seem to me that Equality for All means Equality for All means Equality for All means Equality for ALL.

Unles I am missing something here.

Of course living in San Francisco my take on this whole issue would be (shall we say) a little more 'progressive' (after all, unlike Hot Coffee, North Carolina - or wherever such toothless in-bred troglodytes reside, we proud San Franciscans tend to have a great deal of compassion for our fellow human beings -

So it is no surprise that so many of the world's persecuted gays and lesbians tend to congregate here in so large numbers - nevertheless we do try to make something of an effort to tolerate Breeders (read: iste profanum vulgus) - as long as they don't 'touch each other' in public -- but I digress.

I'm thinking that most of the civilised world [and we can put North Carolina and the other 29 states who have outlawed Gay Marriage OUTSIDE of that category for the moment - California herself currently wrestling with this issue (with out of state monies pouring in, like it did from Morman Utah - of all places !) being quite busy overturning all the prop 8 provisions one by one at the moment] is busy shaking their heads at the US at the moment over this whole silly issue - even bankrupted Italy allows gay marriage, the veritable home of the Roman Catholic Church (which I'm sure is making their ageing 'German Shepherd' froth at the muzzle over that one !).

It is also very very very curious how those who argue AGAINST gay marriage - almost without exception - have as the basis for their jejune beliefs a book called the 'Baaaaahhble', a mangled collection of ancient texts (the most ancient copies of which DO NOT MATCH each other letter for letter, not by a long shot ! ) which (oddly, or perhaps, not so !) very very few of them can even read in the original languages, let alone translate or understand it (but enough about David & his boy-toy Jonathan in 1 Sam 20:30 !!!!!!!)

edit on 9-5-2012 by Sigismundus because: stuttering coooommmmputerrrrrrr

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

haha Nice! Well It's a nice place to live, the cops don't ever arrest anyone, the parties are top notch, the girls are all right... Haha..

Well, I've lived near Boone all my life. I go roughly once a week so I love the atmosphere.

Raleigh is nice too, just big. Congrats and good luck!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Wrong:

Homosexual Agenda

After the Ball

In 2003 Alan Sears and Craig Osten, president and vice-president of the Alliance Defense Fund, an American conservative Christian organization, offered another characterization:

It is an agenda that they basically set in the late 1980s, in a book called After the Ball, where they laid out a six-point plan for how they could transform the beliefs of ordinary Americans with regard to homosexual behavior — in a decade-long time frame.... They admit it privately, but they will not say that publicly.[12] In their private publications, homosexual activists make it very clear that there is an agenda. The six-point agenda that they laid out in 1989 was explicit:

Talk about gays and gayness as loudly and as often as possible(...)
Portray gays as victims, not as aggressive challengers(...)
Give homosexual protectors a just cause(...)
Make gays look good(...)
Make the victimizers look bad(...)
Get funds from corporate America(...)[1]

After the Ball is a book published in 1989 by Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen.[12] It argues that after the gay liberation phase of the 1970s and 1980s, gay rights groups should adopt more professional public relations techniques to convey their message. It was published by Doubleday and was generally available.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
reply to post by Jagermeister

My thoughts exactly. You know, I'm also sick and tired of the church dictating marriage, PERIOD. My way of thinking, this DOES need to be governmentally controlled but in a different fashion. Under the Constitution, everyone has equal rights and so I think if not everyone can get married, then no one should have the ability to. All or nothing. We either have equal marriage rights for everyone, or we do away with marriage altogether.

Soooo people voting on an issue is the Church dictating govt policy? Progressives love democracy until it turns against them.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Ookie
Marriage means the union of a man and a woman. That is what the word means.

Really? Based on what definition?

Because, etymologically speaking, the word 'marriage' merely means to join, or bring together.

edit on 9-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

And words are used in certain contexts. Marriage had been used for many, many years in the context of a union between a man and woman.

I think its stupid that Christians can't retain the biblical meaning of marriage and gays and lesbians can't have their "civil unions".

Both will allow the same the same benefits under the law!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Why do you care what people (adults) do in their bedrooms?

How does it affect you at all? You aren't invited? You feel left out?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Another sad day in the USoA. I guess the first amendment only applies to some people.

Why is it sad when the people of a STATE exercise their rights granted by the 10th amendment right?? Is same-sex marriage a constitutional right??

And what the hell is the 1st amendment an issue in this case??

What did I miss??

Actually, as a constitutional amendment was required, then it must HAVE been a constitutional right, mustn't it?

Is there anything in that constituation that hasn't actually been amended since it was written?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join