It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

www.nytimes.com

As expected, North Carolinians voted in large numbers on Tuesday for an amendment that would ban same-sex marriages, partnerships and civil unions, becoming the 30th state in the country and the last in the South to include a prohibition on gay marriage in the state constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
usnews.msnbc.msn. com

+36 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm not from the US and I think this is insane. Not only for denying the LGTB community of their basic rights but also because now 'marriage' is the only legal domestic union valid on NC, and hence everyone, including straight people, will be affected by this.

I'm sorry if it offends any US citizen but it seems to me that it's a huge distortion of democracy when a majority choses if a minority will have basic rights or not. Democracy should actually protect any minority because the sum of all minorities is what makes a population, so it's a huge hit to the system when any group get its liberties taken away. It's a sadden news and I don't think you have to be gay to understand how bad this is.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Another sad day in the USoA. I guess the first amendment only applies to some people.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have always admired the freedom US citizens have

a free country, becoming free-er everyday

freedom!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Oh brother.. Why now? Why this year? This should just do all kinds of good things for keeping the Convention nice and quiet. As if that was likely to happen as it was, now it will be a 3 ring circus. Perhaps the Animal Liberation Front can Liberate some elephants from a nearby zoo and we can call it right and proper.

(I'm kidding about the zoo thing, if some moron actually had already planned something.. Who knows these days and heck, making N.C. the target of 2012 for the Gay/Lesbian and related community really was about the dumbest thing I could think of. Where the Dem Conv is in September? Really?? Someone thought this was the moment for this battle??

Anything more some other entity can throw into the bonfire? The events keep piling on.

+14 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
There ya go folks democracy in action and yep sometimes you get caught on the short end of that stick.

Second.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They may have made it a 'moment of battle' because they know it will be challenged and likely struck down as unconstitutional in court, which could rally the right in November. Maybe.

Or maybe its more proof that the GOP are doing everything they can to keep Obama in office. That would make sense too.

+8 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

for an amendment that would ban same-sex marriages, partnerships and civil unions

I can't remember where I read it but someone was saying that the majority of voters didn't understand that this would also ban civil unions. I think the results may have been different.

I still don't get what the problem is with same sex marriage. It doesn't hurt anyone, and if two consenting adults want to make a commitment to each other and have shared responsibilities and benefits I don't understand how anyone has the gall to say boo about it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
well at least its consistent with the "Police State"

America has been become - anything but Equality and Freedom.

to ban same-sex marriage is afterall, a sexist clause.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Just to clarify, gay marriage was already illegal in NC. This was pretty much some grandstanding from the social conservative right in NC (small town god fearin folk who use biblical terminology to describe every day life). And it almost certainly will be overturned as being unconstitutional. Soe of the larger cities have been moving towards voting on thier own to allow 'civil unions' and the like for domestic benefits

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Oh brother.. Why now? Why this year?

For the same reason as always to create a wedge issue to garner votes for the next presidential election however what most people do is just take a look at the surface of the issue and never look any deeper.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
since when do straight people care about who [SNIP]? no, but really. This is out of straight people comfort areas- of course they would vote no,because they are not a lesbo, gay, bi, or a tranny- they just don't get it and they would have no clue how to go about the matter. Why don't they just let the gay population vote on this? oh that's right because "gaydom" affects us all, not just the person who gets bullied by the majority. Farmer mac got every family member that can legally vote (including his 106 year old grandmother- of whom he only seen 3 day outta the last 35 years she's lived in the nursing home), loaded them up in his john deer, and once again the straights have turned gay-because they have just screwed us [SNIP].

edit on 5-9-2012 by worldwatcher because: Please do not circumvent the censors

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Same old shart -

Conservative - Take government out of my wallet and only to stick it in your pants!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Oh brother.. Why now? Why this year?

however what most people do is just take a look at the surface of the issue and never look any deeper.

That is a great way to describe Conservatives, start for you!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
then why did they "ban" something,

that was already "illegal"?

+1 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Oh like how liberals stick their hands in my wallet and pay for some strangers birth control pills?

Nope describe yourself.

+7 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Another sad day in the USoA. I guess the first amendment only applies to some people.

Why is it sad when the people of a STATE exercise their rights granted by the 10th amendment right?? Is same-sex marriage a constitutional right??

And what the hell is the 1st amendment an issue in this case??

What did I miss??

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

then why did they "ban" something,

that was already "illegal"?

Thats the million dollar question.

They enshrined it into their constitution, in a desperate attempt to cling to what they see as normal. Times are a-changin. NC went Dem in 08 for the first time since 76. Cities are getting more progressive. Homosexuals arent (too) afraid to be visible in public. And a lot of old folks are scared to death y all of that. And there are politicians who will cater to that, because its a solid voting block. It MIGHT cost the GOP NC in 2012, but it might help them win back a lot of seats in the following years.

Ever been to small town NC?
edit on 8-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I live in NC and pretty much everyone I know is appalled by this result.

Technically, humans are animals, and other species of animals exhibit homosexual behavior...so, I don't really see the problem.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I wonder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join