It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 15
21
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


It indirectly is through the people. If you have read, most of the arguments here have been based on the bible and Christian views. The people have been influenced by their beliefs with the church and so are voting with what they think they know. IE: church taking a heavy part in this election and making decisions.




posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
As someone who voted in NC yesterday, I saw at the polls people ages 60+ church going types. This amendment will be short lived. I would imagine in the next 10 years it will be overwhelmingly opposed. The new amendment is at odds with other provisions of the constitution, in my opinion. It prohibits private contracts between two people, while expressly allowing private contracts between individuals. This amendment will be overturned on constitutional grounds of vagueness. It is so vague it leaves an analytical mind questioning exactly what this prohibits.

The amendment states civil unions will not be recognized by the state. However, this does not prohibit private contracts. Therefore, a couple can privately create contracts to allow visitation rights, insurance rights, and any other contract allowed. The question for me is whether this amendment is enforceable to prohibit contractors of the state government from offering benefits contractually to same-sex partners.

All people have to do is recreate what a civil union is. Call it a "Domestic Partnership" as a contract between two parties and the amendment is easily skirted.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Domo1
 



I still don't get what the problem is with same sex marriage.


It’s not about two people of the same sex living together, sleeping together, kissing each other, holding hands, getting benefits at work, getting a tax break, etc………

It’s about the 'word' marriage! Marriage, in the bible, is between one man and one woman. Call the DAMN THING A CIVIL UNION and get your benefits!!

We all ask ourselves, "Why are gays hung up on marriage?"





Because giving us the same rights and calling it something else is essentially Jim Crow. Separate but equal doesn't mean equal

Answer – MOST ARE NOT!! This is another way TPTB divide us. Most Christians disagree with gay marriage simply because you want to call it MARRIAGE!!!

NEWS FLASH!!! Drop the buz word and collect your benefits!! HELLO? Live together!!! Do what you want! Just don't claim the word marriage as if it homosexuality was acceptable to Christians. Drop the WORD!

Maybe the status of "marriage" is more important for homosexuals to acquire than the actual reality or condition of actually being "married?"
If not then stop fighting us on this!! Stop crying about your BS and get the exact same recognition under the LAW with a civil union; I'd support that and I'm a conservative!

One group has to budge on this and it sure as hell won’t be Christians, so take your benefits and run, gay people!! Why the fight??


edit on 8-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87
 


Discrimination is discrimination. A woman can marry a man, but I can't. That's discrimination based on gender



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress
 


Exactly, and most of them too ignorant to realize that Gay Marriage was already illegal in NC, so they never bothered to ask themselves "If Gay Marriage is already illegal, then what exactly am I voting yes on?"

Ignorance is mostly why this thing got passed.

Link



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowcat

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Radiobuzz
 



Another sad day in the USoA. I guess the first amendment only applies to some people.


Why is it sad when the people of a STATE exercise their rights granted by the 10th amendment right?? Is same-sex marriage a constitutional right??


And what the hell is the 1st amendment an issue in this case??


What did I miss??





The first amendment separates church and state. It shouldn't be up to the states to ban gay marriage, only the churches.


edit on 9-5-2012 by shadowcat because: I forgot something.


No, the first amendment states that there will be no establishment of religion. We were founded on the principle that you could believe what you wanted to believe in. In fact, many of our founding fathers were deists.

The Tenth Amendment states the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the States by the Constitution are reserved to the States or the people.

There's a lot of misconceptions on here about what 'rights' we have, what powers the States have and what powers the federal government has. And, what the church has to do with any of this.

Read people.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


It indirectly is through the people. If you have read, most of the arguments here have been based on the bible and Christian views. The people have been influenced by their beliefs with the church and so are voting with what they think they know. IE: church taking a heavy part in this election and making decisions.



So now you are trying to say that people do not have the right to vote their conscience on something because it goes against the Progressive agenda or because they are church-goers? You indeed have an odd way of looking at things.
edit on 9-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I find it truly disheartening and downright disgusting to see individuals on here support the ban on same sex marriage. Who the hell are you to judge anyone? Just because it (for some sickening reason) offends you, means two people aren't allow to participate in marriage?

Grow the hell up already and realize that not everyone believes in your religious opinions. Also, this is the United States. Everyone deserves equal treatment whether they're gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, straight, black, hispanic, Asian, white, etc. Everyone deserves equality.


Get over it.



Clearly in NC the majority of people who bothered to vote are against gay marrige. so instead of throwing you handbag out the pram and telling people they would be better off in some middle eastern country bye and getting on you high horse why dont you get over it


By that logic, if the majority of people voted Yes for lynching, it'd be ok.

Sorry but it's 2012. Time for you to get over it, sweetie!!


Absolutley

if enough people see a problem in there community and decide to act on it then surely that is a good thing

edit on 9/5/12 by darthdamo74 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


quite frankly I don't think this shouldn't have been on a ballot at all ... what do we have state legislatures for?



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul
 

You are right..as much as I really hate to admit that , being a North Carolinian. My family tried hard on facebook to get people to understand what they were voting for. it did not compute!!!
Yesterday there were flair ups among the yeas and the nays and name calling kicked in. AND the name callers were not the nays either.!! If you can believe that! Some started bible quoting....SIGH!! These people are normally friends and just the usual chit chat...but not yesterday or today.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I find it truly disheartening and downright disgusting to see individuals on here support the ban on same sex marriage. Who the hell are you to judge anyone? Just because it (for some sickening reason) offends you, means two people aren't allow to participate in marriage?

Grow the hell up already and realize that not everyone believes in your religious opinions. Also, this is the United States. Everyone deserves equal treatment whether they're gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, straight, black, hispanic, Asian, white, etc. Everyone deserves equality.


Get over it.



Clearly in NC the majority of people who bothered to vote are against gay marrige. so instead of throwing you handbag out the pram and telling people they would be better off in some middle eastern country bye and getting on you high horse why dont you get over it


By that logic, if the majority of people voted Yes for lynching, it'd be ok.

Sorry but it's 2012. Time for you to get over it, sweetie!!


Absolutley

if enough people see a problem in there community and decide to act on it then surely that is a good thing

edit on 9/5/12 by darthdamo74 because: (no reason given)


Good Mob rules! Maybe we can vote here on ATS to remove your posts from this thread ...

All those in favor?



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
As someone who voted in NC yesterday, I saw at the polls people ages 60+ church going types. This amendment will be short lived. I would imagine in the next 10 years it will be overwhelmingly opposed. The new amendment is at odds with other provisions of the constitution, in my opinion. It prohibits private contracts between two people, while expressly allowing private contracts between individuals. This amendment will be overturned on constitutional grounds of vagueness. It is so vague it leaves an analytical mind questioning exactly what this prohibits.

The amendment states civil unions will not be recognized by the state. However, this does not prohibit private contracts. Therefore, a couple can privately create contracts to allow visitation rights, insurance rights, and any other contract allowed. The question for me is whether this amendment is enforceable to prohibit contractors of the state government from offering benefits contractually to same-sex partners.

All people have to do is recreate what a civil union is. Call it a "Domestic Partnership" as a contract between two parties and the amendment is easily skirted.


Whoa Good point...
Of course you would have to bring copies of the contracts where ever you want the benifit of them. I like the way you think.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


quite frankly I don't think this shouldn't have been on a ballot at all ... what do we have state legislatures for?


Perhaps, but it was and that was how people voted, whether or not they knew what it really meant. I see all kinds of stuff on ballots I don't understand completely. It does take research to find out what is really going on with some of this stuff. Besides it's all stated in legaleese which the layperson generally does not understand and the lawyers know this.
edit on 9-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well why don't we just go ahead and support bestiality or necrophilia. Why not marry animals or whatever else is unnatural so long as you love it. I love grilled steak, should I marry it? Same sex marriage in unnatural. What was the point of having 2 sexes if you don't need the other. This has nothing to do with rights or freedoms but everything to do with immorality. I don't care if you do not believe in the God of the Bible, sexual immorality is detrimental to the family unit especially homosexuality. Let me give you a few reasons why it is wrong:
It Is Not Marriage
Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses.
It Violates Natural Law
It Always Denies a Child Either a Father or a Mother
It Turns a Moral Wrong into a Civil Right
It Does Not Create a Family but a Naturally Sterile Union
It Defeats the State’s Purpose of Benefiting Marriage
It Imposes Its Acceptance on All Society



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus
 


quite frankly I don't think this shouldn't have been on a ballot at all ... what do we have state legislatures for?


Perhaps, but it was and that was how people voted, whether or not they knew what it really meant. I see all kinds of stuff on ballots I don't understand completely. It does take research to find out what is really going on with some of this stuff.


To paraphrase - The ignorant majority says so and so it is.

And I thought we had a Republic ... apparently not.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by meggiddo2012
Well why don't we just go ahead and support bestiality or necrophilia. Why not marry animals or whatever else is unnatural so long as you love it. I love grilled steak, should I marry it? Same sex marriage in unnatural. What was the point of having 2 sexes if you don't need the other. This has nothing to do with rights or freedoms but everything to do with immorality. I don't care if you do not believe in the God of the Bible, sexual immorality is detrimental to the family unit especially homosexuality. Let me give you a few reasons why it is wrong:
It Is Not Marriage
Calling something marriage does not make it marriage. Marriage has always been a covenant between a man and a woman which is by its nature ordered toward the procreation and education of children and the unity and wellbeing of the spouses.
It Violates Natural Law
It Always Denies a Child Either a Father or a Mother
It Turns a Moral Wrong into a Civil Right
It Does Not Create a Family but a Naturally Sterile Union
It Defeats the State’s Purpose of Benefiting Marriage
It Imposes Its Acceptance on All Society


I see you are very concerned with what adults do in their bedroom ... wonder why that is ...



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I was very disappointed with NC over this one. I always look up to them - thought they were a more liberal minded, freer state. Love the Asheville area - I bet they didn't vote this way.



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Originally posted by darthdamo74

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I find it truly disheartening and downright disgusting to see individuals on here support the ban on same sex marriage. Who the hell are you to judge anyone? Just because it (for some sickening reason) offends you, means two people aren't allow to participate in marriage?

Grow the hell up already and realize that not everyone believes in your religious opinions. Also, this is the United States. Everyone deserves equal treatment whether they're gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, straight, black, hispanic, Asian, white, etc. Everyone deserves equality.


Get over it.



Clearly in NC the majority of people who bothered to vote are against gay marrige. so instead of throwing you handbag out the pram and telling people they would be better off in some middle eastern country bye and getting on you high horse why dont you get over it


By that logic, if the majority of people voted Yes for lynching, it'd be ok.

Sorry but it's 2012. Time for you to get over it, sweetie!!


Absolutley

if enough people see a problem in there community and decide to act on it then surely that is a good thing

edit on 9/5/12 by darthdamo74 because: (no reason given)


Good Mob rules! Maybe we can vote here on ATS to remove your posts from this thread ...

All those in favor?



yes go on vote like they did in NC



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by darthdamo74
 


What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular.

The whole purpose of the Rule of Law and of a Republic is to protect the minority from the will of the majority.

Majority rule is mob rule, a tyranny of the majority.

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by darthdamo74
 


What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular.



Perfectly written.




new topics

top topics



 
21
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join