It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraq War Ruined My Life.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

First, thank you for your service. You took great sacrifices to do what you believed in and that deserves recognition. I hate it how our servicemen give everything and when they get home this country offers them next to nothing. The VA is a sick joke that has been #ting on Vets for generations.

I don't know that there is anything I can say here that will bring you peace but I wish for you to find it. I don't like our government and I have issues with it's motivations for war but I do not in any way put that dislike on the men and women that volunteer to follow orders that they may or may not agree with.

Either way this is no place for politics or pointing fingers.

You have a beautiful child to live with now. I think the dog is a wonderful idea, I know that my four legged friend has helped me through very dark times. Dogs don't judge, they just love.

Thank you sir, and good luck with finding some peace in this life.

I'm not sure if it will be of any help to you but there were some books I read years ago that I found to be very helpful, namely 'Mastering your Hidden Self' by Serge Kahili King. This may or may not be for you but I'll mention it anyhow.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

It's crap that this is happening to you and ongoing, but tbh i think (know) alot of Iraqi's suffered a LOT more from the war there (and still are). Think of me whatever you want.. But i don't think you see the hypocriscy of your own post yourself.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Just thinking here, but if there isn't a veteran advocate group in your area, why not start one up!

Find other guys/gals with similar issues and complaints.

Once a marine, always a marine, right?

Get to work, jarhead!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

It's crap that this is happening to you and ongoing, but tbh i think (know) alot of Iraqi's suffered a LOT more from the war there (and still are). Think of me whatever you want.. But i don't think you see the hypocriscy of your own post yourself.

Some suffer more, some less, does that make the suffering any less significant? People like you make me wish NATO and the UN never existed. I'd like to see how high and mighty you'd be with the Russians breathing down your neck.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I can sympathize for sure amigo, I too have been rammed in the rear by uncle sam. When you start to understand that the military now and days is nothing more than a corporate army, you begin to realize that all of the benefits of being enlisted is nothing more than a extension of that.

The VA is still run by the Gov, so its less efficient than it should be...your a number to them..that is all. And until we get rid of this cattle car for profit health care system, we will never truly get good health care that actually addresses the problem.

I've suffered from PTSD for well over a decade, Iraq wasn't my war, but war is war after all. And the same tricks apply, as if it worked before, they'll use it again. War being the ultimate vulgarity it is, honestly what did you expect?

We are a means to an end, programmed to do their bidding. Im afraid the only thing that will cure you of your ails is time, understanding, and patience. If your family isn't much help, perhaps they do not know how to help you? You should sit em down and tell em what it is you need to function to include their support.

If they wont help, you would be within yer right to sever the tie. We are in a instance where you need to train your mind once again. This time do it under the premise that you will not reflect on the past, but move forward in everything you do. Do not dwell on the problem, find a solution and push forward. That should keep your mind busy enough to weigh down any issues that try to haunt you.

You are a Marine, and while the military isn't what it used to be, thats not an easy feat in itself. You have to find balance and it will take time.

When you think about it, time is all you really have.

First to go, last to know. Hoorah

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
The Iraq war only ruined your life because you volunteered for military service. You could have avoided it entirely by not signing up. There was no draft.

The only people whose lives actually got ruined by the war are the Iraqis who were involuntarily thrust into it.

exactly.

lets be honest, and frank - why do most people enter the military these days? and are they really not aware of in the past decades of Hiro, Naga, Vietnam, Cambodia, Nixon, Bushs' grudges, Persian Gulf War, Depleted Uranium & Cancer???

what were they expecting?

to 'serve their country' patriotically? if that were the case, this topic's title would not exist. what i seen in soldier from soldier is heavy substance abuse, spending their $250K/yr gov contract on drugs, gambling, adult entertainment, anger management issues, long police/arrest record, and lack of interest in honest civilian jobs because of the low pay and being mediocre. everything has to be a shock and awe and a thrill for them otherwise theyre depressed and blame everyone around for 'ruining their life'.

what about the SELF?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I am sorry for your situation. Your own military did this to you at the orders of the controlling interests. Yet put it into perspective, how many lives in Iraq were ruined? We bombed that country night and day for years on end and all that DU you are taking about is now in their food supply chain. What you are subject to is a fraction of the pain and suffering of the Iraqi people.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Ok, please refer to the context of my previous post, number 1.

Number 2, You cannot blame him for the selfish mides of the politicians that make these wars possible. And to think that Saddam was completely complicit in that as well. Why not blame him?

If your going to make such blanketed statements, it is my suggestion that you see the bigger picture. There are many serviceman that think that war was wrong, yet when they signed up, they agree'd that they would lose their opinion as well as their freedom of choice.

War is a b*tch, and often both sides are equally effected....counting bodies doesn't make one worse than the other. I know many that would have rather died in combat, than to live with with complacent bureaucracy and a public who believes everything the TV tells em.

And don't say your not blaming, because with this statement you are indirectly. And many of those same dead innocent civilians are the same ones who will pick up a rifle and shoot first.

Im afraid without a common frame of reference, you have no argument. Of course I don't mean anything by this post emotionally, just calling it like I read it. Perhaps you'd care to clarify your position....so there is no misunderstanding?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Right now there's tears in my eyes from reading your post. Know that you are one hell of a man to take all the abuse and lack of support and empathy that others have shown you in addition to the injuries you have received in combat. You deserve much better than what you have been shown.

On the bright side since you have made it this far with your humanity, intelligence and sense of humor still intact know that you are a true survivor - only a very strong person could go through what you have and still remain humble and caring. You have taken the worst that the system and people could throw at you and yet you are here with us now. You are a winner in my book!

I wish I had solutions for you and could help ease your pain and troubles but unfortunately those are yours alone to bear. All I can say is stay focused on love and your daughter and you will see this through.

Those of us who have never served cannot know the horrors of war and what sacrifices brave men such as yourself have made in service to our country. Your brothers and sisters in the military are the only ones who could understand so if there are support groups of ex-military by all means get in touch with them. Keep on writing as you are quite good at it and I'm sure it helps you to externalize many of the issues that make life hard for you.

All I can do is thank you for your service and offer my prayers for you to be healed.
Take it one day at a time and if you need to talk there are many of us here who would be honored to talk with you.

Semper Fi
edit on 5-5-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I am sorry for your situation. Your own military did this to you at the orders of the controlling interests. Yet put it into perspective, how many lives in Iraq were ruined? We bombed that country night and day for years on end and all that DU you are taking about is now in their food supply chain. What you are subject to is a fraction of the pain and suffering of the Iraqi people.

I have to say I agree.
I wasn't going to post and while I don't wish to take anything away from the OP and their grief and pain... just think what you did over there... just think what those people had to go through and still go through.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Most people join up for different reasons, the incentive to join is what drives most. ALso most who join are sons or daughters of parents who were enlisted....so it could be as simple as that.

Also consider that just as some were born not to fight, others were born for war. You are correct that he signed on the dotted line, no hands tied. However, the military only tells you things on a need to know basis. And they are famous for telling you as little as possible.

Betcha 10 bucks, he had no idea about DU shells until after it was all said and done. The military loves hindsight.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Right now there's tears in my eyes from reading your post. Know that you are one hell of a man to take all the abuse and lack of support and empathy that others have shown you in addition to the injuries you have received in combat. You deserve much better than what you have been shown.

On the bright side since you have made it this far with your humanity, intelligence and sense of humor still intact know that you are a true survivor - only a very strong person could go through what you have and still remain humble and caring. You have taken the worst that the system and people could throw at you and yet you are here with us now. You are a winner in my book!

I wish I had solutions for you and could help ease your pain and troubles but unfortunately those are yours alone to bear. All I can say is stay focused on love and your daughter and you will see this through.

Those of us who have never served cannot know the horrors of war and what sacrifices brave men such as yourself have made in service to our country. Your brothers and sisters in the military are the only ones who could understand so if there are support groups of ex-military by all means get in touch with them. Keep on writing as you are quite good at it and I'm sure it helps you to externalize many of the issues that make life hard for you.

All I can do is thank you for your service and offer my prayers for you to be healed.
Take it one day at a time and if you need to talk there are many of us here who would be honored to talk with you.

Semper Fi
edit on 5-5-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

Said it so nice.
Had to post it twice.

I too, echo those sentiments.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
and, to declare to the ATS community that a war ruined your life,

yet you signed up to fight/kill Iraqis,

you came back ALIVE from all that killng of millions of Iraqis including women & children,

and to top it off, surving it all as a soldier and having your life, and being back in America...

yet claiming the IRAQ war ruined your life???

LIES

then again, its the all-American way, seems.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SanguineDenial

Some suffer more, some less, does that make the suffering any less significant? People like you make me wish NATO and the UN never existed. I'd like to see how high and mighty you'd be with the Russians breathing down your neck.

Who said i'm happy with the NATO and the UN? And Russia aint the country waging unjust wars all over the globe.

Soon to be continued in Iran!

ETA: As i said idgaf what you guys think of me it's my opinion and im entitled to it. I once wanted to become a soldier too, until i realised that defending your country or murdering innocents halfway around the globe are 2 very different things. (1 million as a conservative count? CIVILIANS!)
edit on 5/5/12 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hey man i couldnt help but feel for you after reading this.. stay strong and keep a positive mindset. Your in my prayers.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
thank u for risking your life
this country is nearly hopless
when u feel down u have a daughter and if theres anyone who will always be a ray of sunshine its your children
my uncle lost an eye and the va is no help to him either
just another exsample how the elite will step on the meek no matter what
good luck and thank u for fighting

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Where did i make a blanketed statement?

He's a hypocrit drowning is selfpity while happily pulling the trigger.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i can see if your title was "I'm fortunate to have come back alive from going to war with Iraq"

at least it would show you're grateful for being a surviving soldier, given all the troops who died will trying to kill the most Iraqis while on convoy.

however, the title coming from a Soldier that survived, exemplifies how American soldiers come back with their arrogant lives still blaming a war that their own military they signed up for, waged - and they blindly backed.

So why blame the "Iraq war" and not your own country? why not admit America ruined your life?

remember the 'Iraq war' was based on WMDs that did not exist - except the ones paradoxically used by Americans thru the armed forces including the OP, upon the Iraqi people.

likewise, a soldier claiming the Iraq war ruined their life is actually 'shizoaffectively' stating the.... inverse!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I thought people who are antiwar would be more compassionate than what this and other posts have shown.
Once out of uniform they are people the same as you and I.

For the OP his service might be over but the war is still raging.
Don't forget he is victim too.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I do believe you will survive,you have a positive outlook(Far better than I) on most things I admire vets who aren't fighting anger.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join