It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraq War Ruined My Life.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

First of all, thank you for your service, Devil Dawg.

S&F

A small part of healing is getting things off your chest so this thread was therapeutic in a way. I think maybe you’re looking at the situation wrong. Never forget that your feelings about the war are your own. Hold your head high. Don’t allow the naysayers and peaceniks to define you. You know more about what went down than those who denounce your service from the safety of their couch. We know why we do what we do. Don’t let them tell you who you are…as Marines, we KNOW who we are.

I was in Iraq in 2003 near the end of my second enlistment. I served in Nasiriyah then Amarah with 2/8. It was a very short, very violent deployment; much more intense than my previous deployment to Bosnia in 1996 or anything in between. Though I initially wanted to be a career Marine, during my second enlistment I decided I had enough of that lifestyle and was honorably discharged in 2004. The feelings we have about our experiences are something WE have to deal with. I’ve found that spending time focusing on my wife, my two young children, my extended family and my career have been enough to help me move on. Your work at the VA may also be good right now though I worry it may keep the war in the forefront of your mind. I preferred to distance myself from it as a means of coping. Everyone is different and you know yourself better than anyone. If you think it will help, go for it!

We’re all different but my advice is to focus on your loved ones…that includes yourself. Don’t listen to the negativity. Negative people are entitled to their opinion but you’re not required to take what they say to heart nor does their opinion hold more weight than your own!

Oorah!

edit on 5-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I thought you said that you got kicked out for a heart condition.... Did you get paid for getting kicked out early or was it the end of your enlistment and they just wouldn't let you re-enlist? Also did you get medically retired where you get a check for your condition (if it was a result of your time in the military).

The PTSD is where you lost me bro.....and then traumatic brain injury? Sounds like to me you are looking for more moneys from the government......

Sorry...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Great story too bad it's complete fiction.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

I almost never question anyone who claims to be a veteran, though one time a guy I interviewed for a job claimed to be a Marine so I asked to see his DD-214 because he seemed a bit young to have done what he’d claimed. He looked at me with a blank stare and asked “What’s that?” I briefly explained and he said “They didn’t give me one.” I kindly gave him a few seconds to leave on his own….which he did.

Us older guys have all met the occasional’ Navy SEAL’ or DELTA guy at the local bar who is eager to share details of his numerous heroic exploits
but those guys are obvious morons. My experience has been that the people who have done it rarely discuss it…especially Ops guys.

So to my point… What makes you think the OP’s story is fiction? Just curious!

edit on 5-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

Breathmint?

Perhaps you should check his posts out before making such an assumption. We have numerous military folk here and granted, some could be posing I suppose, but I have followed/corresponded with this member for some time and I do not think he is pretending, at all. To each their own I reckon, but your statement is kind of insulting, especially with no supporting evidence. Maybe you should inquire about some details from him before judging.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It must have been a DRIVE-BY post because I’m not seeing any supporting evidence.

Hey, he could be right but I don’t know the basis for his claim. Until then I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Look, we are the MILITARY not frigging politicians they are the problem,as are the philosophical political commentaries on this thread.You want to pile on and BI##ch about it ? WHY? Obviously we know more about it than anyone who just prognosticates their snide logic to make a point,reads a few books or believes the internet or evening news.YOU KNOW NOTHING. Get over it.You ARE beneath us when it comes to war fighting only WE know what it truly is,we are geniuses on the subject.Your ideas are pedantic and puerile in their expression,but that is the adolescent idea isn't it.Perhaps you feel threatened and seek some sort of gratification for your unproductive existence.What ever your issues are, they aren't helping my wounded.If you want him to suicide with guilt then I curse YOUR friggin first born to join combat arms.I have noted some of the people who are posting obviously understand that: :A we must have a military (your dumb a## can't save us from world hostilities with a debate)and B.The people who have to do it are paying for it in grevious ways. I am proud to have done my job in your military.....And thank you very much for art school.
As to the rest?
Hell politicians start and lose all of our fights,I guess thats what you want to do when you grow up.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Thank you for your kind words and I think you've hit the nail on the head with the brainwashing/propagand deal. I just wish the whole world could wake the hell up.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666

You my friend, are a perfect example of a lab rat used by TPTB. I hope kids all over this country choose to never join the military. Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately you are correct. It is sickening how this all happens.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

First off.

God bless you.

Not a day goes by,that I don't think about what this country would be like,without those who have fought so bravely for it.

Second,I will pray for you. That is in all honesty. You shared something that many wouldn't. Again,showing your bravery.

If any comfort....You are not alone.

S&F

Thank you. I need all the prayers I can get right now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
Semper Fi Marine, your experience is alot like mine you and I could have actually served together I was with 8th marines in fallujah theater in the same time frame, if you ever need to talk you can always U2U me even if it's just to B******t about the corps or whatever man.

Semper Fi. Man you guys had it rough as well. Worse than we did in alot of cases. I hold all you guys in high regaurds and anyone who participated in that battle. Our paths probably did cross both in Iraq and at Lejeune as well. Small world.

Semper Fi Brother.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I give you and the semper fi girl scout gang a lot of crap on here, but I do it because I don't want anymore stories like yours to happen.

I've always been a supporter of the troops, but I support their safety and well being, I don't support gov't using their courage to manipulate them to be used as gun fodder for foreign policy changes, and to be used as guinea pigs with things like DU and experimental vaccines.

I'm sorry for your struggles, you shouldn't have had to go through all that.
What you can do now is make a big difference in these up and coming kids blindly rushing into the service for something they don't quite understand or have thought through with an adult perspective.

Maybe I was wrong about you, maybe you're all right after all.

I know you like to give us a hard time sometimes, but you always do it with respect which I admire. You don't just attack and run. I also think you bring a good side to any military related argument so thank you. And thanks for your input here as well.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

While I sympathize with your current situation and appreciate your duty more than you know I do however have one point to make.

Just imagine all the DU we left behind for the people of Iraq to live in. Imagine how the war has ruined their lives and there homeland. While we are able to come home and escape the atrocities of war these people are left to pick up the pieces literally. And these are pieces of their lives, homes, even pieces of people....It is sad for everyone involved and probably far worse on their end.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Please tell me you have copies of your med records from when you left the unit.Hit the DAV with that info, utilize exterior sources of assistance from the VA.Do you have something you have always wanted to do?
I am going to ART SCHOOL through the VA.It wasn't easy to get into but I just kept hitting until I got it.
I have Gulf War issues they don't acknowledge the illegal vaccines or the chems used or even the nerve agent pills,DU included.
I showed I got ill right after the conflict WITH MY ORIGINAL RECORDS through the DAV and now I am rated 50% for COPD and PTSD.
Don't stop going out join a club doing something you like if your head gets in the way USE WEED if you have to.You just make damn sure you don't receed,I've just seen a man I loved like a brother take his own life.He didn't even try to look for help.

I copied them all myself before I EAS'd just for this reason. The only real problem I have with my records is that many things were not recorded. I recieved 6 anthrax shots and there is only 3 in my record. Also other missing things as we. Also my farming abilities provide me with much herbal relief from the PTSD symptoms. It's just too bad it will never be looked at seriously for that treatment.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

I understand where you are coming from. Rest assured though that when things fall apart here at home the Militias and the Veterans will be there for you. That is what it will eventually take for all to wake up I fear. Thank you for sharing with us.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
First and foremost thank you for your service brother. If I were you I'd get your ass to New York for treatment. I know some people in the field that are dying to help veterans, including those with TBI. New York State has the best care for these types of issues. If you want pm me and I can direct you to the people I know. You can contact them through their website to see if they can offer you any sort of help, especially with your TBI. Semper Fi.

Thanks, I have actually heard good things from other veterans in New York as well. If I end up having to move to make the right change that is always a possibility. Again thanks.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by B2X2L

Thank you for the info and the ideas. I have begun to look into alternative treatments and will now research what you have brought to my attention. Again thank you.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dadank
You need some weed my friend.

Weed fights against both PTSD and it fights cancer(which may mean it may fight the symptoms of DU as well)

Oh yeah, I'm quite the farmer. It does help very much. I wish there were more serious studies taking place but I don't think the VA will touch it just yet.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
It is amazing that even when highly damaged the human spirit knows what it needs to recover!

PTSD is treatable. It can't be cured. It can be treated. Consider your Factual memories as being separate from your Emotional memories. When your two memory groups disagree PTSD is born. You tell yourself that event (a) doesn't bother you. No probs. However, your Emotional memory is screaming because Event (a) really threw you for a six.

You want one on one time with someone, that is exactly what you need. Helping other vets will help you in the long run. There are multitudes of Psychologists out there, some even know what they are doing! A few of these would suit your personality. Keep looking for someone special that you may be able to trust.

If you have PTSD secondary to amnesia, PM me. It is treatable but not many know how. Oh, they say they do, can't have professional people telling the truth can we!

PTSD can be overcome for the vast majority of your future and on the rare occasions it can't you can take a sicki! We call the mental health days!

Be strong!

P

Thank you. I have had some bad runs with therapists but I am always open to try new ones, or at least I should be I know.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
if its any comfort, think of the life you still have,

while millions of Iraqi & Afghan & other mideasterns including women & children have and are still killed off in the millions

and they did not sign up to fight, to say the least, soldier.

I feel terrible for all of the loss of life in these wars.,Past, present, and future losses as well. I am always thankful to be still living even when I really shouldn't be but that's just how things played out.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join