It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraq War Ruined My Life.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by theitalian

Thanks for the post. And thanks for bringing up the Balkans syndrome. I am going to do some research on that.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Keep your head up devildog. Remember. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

I know what you're going through. It gets better.
It did for me, at least.

Talk to people who know how you feel. You can't expect someone without the experience to understand where you're coming from.

It hurts, but it was our decision, and our demons to battle now.

Semper Fidelis
edit on 5-5-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by McTurbo
reply to post by usmc0311

sorry your going through this. but in the end all thats going to fix it is your going to have to find something to work toward for the future that has your interest (hence giving you something else to think about) and stop dwelling on the past. its the same as the victim of any crime.. dwelling on something that happened years ago that you can no longer change will keep your thought process in the past and not looking forward. it happened, deal with it. find something else to concentrate on, and move forward with your life.

Thanks. I am searching for a way to move forward, just having trouble finding my way.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
The Iraq war only ruined your life because you volunteered for military service. You could have avoided it entirely by not signing up. There was no draft.

The only people whose lives actually got ruined by the war are the Iraqis who were involuntarily thrust into it.

I did not sign up for the Iraq war as was stated in the op. And I am well aware of what has happened to the Iraqi people. But, thank you for your input. It does serve a purpose.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SanguineDenial

Thanks for the well wishes. I will take a look at the book you spoke of.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663

This may sound stupid, but have your Vitamin D levels checked.

I have PTSD from multiple tours and was on Zoloft for several years. Eventually, I developed stomach problems. I got tired of the army doctors giving me a run around, so I paid a private lab to test my blood for antinuclear antibodies (autoimmune diesease; test was about $60). I turned up positive.When I mentioned this to my Psychiatrist she had my vitamin D levels tested.

My vitamin D level was a 12. Anything under 30 is cause for concern. Started taking the Vitamin D my shrink prescribed me once a week and have been able to completely quit taking antidepressants. Will always have PTSD, but I feel better than I have in years.

You have the right idea! A full physical, if you haven't had one, is an outstanding idea! In addition to the Vitamin D, and routine blood work, thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4) should also be drawn. Melatonin too.
edit on 5-5-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

It's crap that this is happening to you and ongoing, but tbh i think (know) alot of Iraqi's suffered a LOT more from the war there (and still are). Think of me whatever you want.. But i don't think you see the hypocriscy of your own post yourself.

Unfortunately I know all too well that the Iraqi people are suffering. I am not a sociopath. I care about the Iraqi people as I got to know many on a personal level. I even corresponded with some of the Iraqi soldiers I trained and served with for a few years after I came home and they kept me updated on the families that I knew.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Thank you for your thoughts and I will keep them in mind. And your right. First to go, Last to know.

Semper Fi.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

to 'serve their country' patriotically? if that were the case, this topic's title would not exist. what i seen in soldier from soldier is heavy substance abuse, spending their $250K/yr gov contract on drugs, gambling, adult entertainment, anger management issues, long police/arrest record, and lack of interest in honest civilian jobs because of the low pay and being mediocre. everything has to be a shock and awe and a thrill for them otherwise theyre depressed and blame everyone around for 'ruining their life'.

Now I am about to use a word I don't like to use to describe this post. 'Ignorant'. Show me a Marine or Soldier that is not a general grade officer that makes 250k/yr and I will crap you rainbows. I do not or have not had substance abuse problems. I also manage my anger very well thank you. I have never been arrested and will take any job that pays money. I also don't put all blame on others. I know that I have responsibilities in this situation but I don't feel it is soley my fault either. But think what you will. I cannot change that.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I am sorry for your situation. Your own military did this to you at the orders of the controlling interests. Yet put it into perspective, how many lives in Iraq were ruined? We bombed that country night and day for years on end and all that DU you are taking about is now in their food supply chain. What you are subject to is a fraction of the pain and suffering of the Iraqi people.

I hear ya, This has been echoed many times and I fully understand that.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thank you for your kind words and support. It is much appreceiated.

Semper Fi.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Thank you for your service.

You should check out Dr. Doug Rokke - former head of the Pentagon's Depleted Uranium Project. He is doing good work on blowing the whistle on the issue. He has appeared on Alex Jones many times - that is where i heard of him.

Good luck

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
and, to declare to the ATS community that a war ruined your life,

yet you signed up to fight/kill Iraqis,

you came back ALIVE from all that killng of millions of Iraqis including women & children,

and to top it off, surving it all as a soldier and having your life, and being back in America...

yet claiming the IRAQ war ruined your life???

LIES

then again, its the all-American way, seems.

If you read my OP you would know that I did not sign up to kill Iraqis as there was no war in Iraq when I signed up. Also I was unaware that I killed millions of Iraqis including women and children. I guess you have read nothing of what I have said in this thread or you just have an agenda your ego will not stray from. Either way go ahead and say what you will but I will not respond to foolish statements such as this from you anymore.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OurSecretHouseCLUB33
Hey man i couldnt help but feel for you after reading this.. stay strong and keep a positive mindset. Your in my prayers.

Thank you for that. Every little bit helps.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronnypeppers
thank u for risking your life
this country is nearly hopless
when u feel down u have a daughter and if theres anyone who will always be a ray of sunshine its your children
my uncle lost an eye and the va is no help to him either
just another exsample how the elite will step on the meek no matter what
good luck and thank u for fighting

Thanks for the post and thank your uncle for his service. My daughter is my angel and we are inseparable. She will always keep me in line even if it is a thin one.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hang in there brother. I have used the VA hospital in Salem VA and I have had mixed experiences. I would keep plugging away at them and try to find different professionals to speak with for help. Often if the hospital is big it is just like an bureaucratic BS.

yes, DU is an issue but are so all of the other chemicals and the PSTD. I suffer from PTSD but not from the Corps. I self medicate with a natural green plant and it is better than the big pharma coctail they wanted me to take. PTSD is something almost impossible to cure but we can inamize the effects.

I am pissed like many vets of the treatment when a solider returns from war they seem to get abandoned.

Mitch Bupp wpns 1/6 2nd MarDiv

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Keep living your life. Don't listen to any of these idiots on here who never made a sacrifice for anything. They have no idea what it means to swear an oath, to look out for anyone but themselves. It's easy for them to be philosophical and righteous and use their fifty-cent words sitting comfortably in the safety of their own homes. You wanted to serve your country just like everyone else did, make a living, learn a skill, be a team member; you never wanted to go to war, to kill anyone, or get injured or killed yourself. You were an instrument of your government. Nothing more. Nothing less.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Most of the people in America are NOT worth fighting for. That is extremely clear to me. I wouldn't p on fire to put most of these people out. I don't know how you got involved in the war, but I'm glad you're out of it.

To be honest, even though I frown upon the military the way it is being used these days (globalization/profit), I also feel a bit bad for the guys who come back, very obviously chewed and spit out. They really treat you like dirt. They are just as bad as the corporations, that will say anything to get you to buy their product and then to heck with you otherwise. They "sold you" the idea of your time being well spent and then offer jack to you other than some pills which are the easy way out for them. ("Take this. Go away.")

It's amazing they don't think that maybe veterans will speak out publicly about this, which could possible get media attention and make their future recruitment efforts more difficult. I guess most people would see it as your family sees it, though, just some rare case of a guy who "couldn't handle it." Really is disturbing that your family won't listen. If you get better, just forget them. If they won't have you around "as you are", then when you are more naturally recognizable to them, it'd be more right for you to stay away from them. If they really can't be there for you when things are rough, forget them when things get better.

Private psych docs can be just...curious listeners. That sounds like it could be nice, but it isn't. They ask questions like a nosy neighbor, but it seems to me that they're only listening because they're getting paid to. I think you'd be better off finding guys who relate to your situation who will listen because they've been there before too.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Like the first statement in the video said. If we don't tell our stories noone will wake up. Yes horrible things have happened. I blame alot of different entities including myself. If I was just an arrogant person I would not have written this thread to bring light to this situation.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I do believe you will survive,you have a positive outlook(Far better than I) on most things I admire vets who aren't fighting anger.

We will all survive if we try. I think most vets without anger are just not quite awaken enough to the realities of what has and is happening.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join