It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Let me see... the anatomy of this whole thing is...

A guy wore a tee shirt with a pro Jesus message on it.

Some people got offended and complained.
Christians got offended at the offense and started in with usual canned responses:

A anybody who criticizes Christians in any way is a bigot and should STFU
B anybody who criticizes Christians victimizes and oppresses Christians everywhere so STFU
C Christians should be respected and not offended.

Atheists get blamed.
homosexuals get blamed
Christians get criticized again and repeat the same things over and over and never learn
Anybody who criticizes Christians in any way is the real bigot because Christians can never be bigots because they're just special special people.
People who criticize Christians in any way get attacked all to hell because they should just STFU and let the Christians criticize people

Trolls who just deny deflect and attack chime in on the bandwagon because it's FUN AND TRENDY because Christians are being victimized by being offended! Of course trolls ALWAYS deny they're a troll and claim they and only they have all the facts because they are so superior to everybody else, being on the side of the oh so special Christians they are. Trolls of course should be ignored and never responded to. They are the ones who are really imposing their will on to everybody else. They of course never follow their own advice and if they expect people to stop being critical then they need to lead by example and stop their crap trolling.

Of course it's all about being offended or PEOPLE WOULDN'T BE COMPLAINING AND THIS RETARDED THREAD WOULDN'T BE SO LONG!

And that parts not obvious?

Horsepatties.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Funny thing that, our public school systems were founded by Christians

I don't care. Not even a little bit.

I live today.

Yep, you don't care and admit it or not, you have issues with Christianity.....

There are many lovely Christians.
There are many gay Christians
There are many Christian churches that accept everyone as a child of God

What are your comments about those Christians who slam Islam. A belief they are completely ignorant of?

edit on 8-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Remember, Christians can't be bigots in any way shape or form because they're special people.

edit on 8-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Annee

Remember, Christians can't be bigots in any way shape or form because they're special people.

LOL

I find you to be very intelligent and insightful.

Which is why I scratch my head that you seem to think homosexuality is by choice. I don't get that part.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Originally posted by Garfee
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Sex and violence are part and parcel of freedom of speech and expression. If you allow religion in school, bring on everything else.

Children are allowed to wear Gay Pride shirts (obviously a sexual context) as well as previously noted, clothing akin to Death/Gore metal, depicting violent and henious acts.

If they get to, we get to right? Thats this whole "equality" thing that everyone is killing for right?

They shouldn't be allowed to wear controversial tshirts full stop!

Aren't you listening?????

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Funny thing that, our public school systems were founded by Christians

I don't care. Not even a little bit.

I live today.

Yep, you don't care and admit it or not, you have issues with Christianity.....

There are many lovely Christians.
There are many gay Christians
There are many Christian churches that accept everyone as a child of God

What are your comments about those Christians who slam Islam. A belief they are completely ignorant of?

Be gay, be Christian, be whatever you want to be. Hate this, love that - have whatever opinion you want, just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. As long as your not imposing those views on others then fill your boots.

reply to post by Annee

Sure they can, everyone can be a bigot / a racist / have prejudice. No one is perfect, everyone has had those thoughts throughout their life. (though I am sure some on ATS will say they never had - perhaps one of these days I can meet such a saint)

and by the way, not a Christian - organized religion in my opinion can take a hike.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think it is a choice for some, but not for all, and that it all depends on the individual circumstances.

to say it's true for all is a huge generalization with no factual basis to back it up, just a popular belief.

And belief by numbers doesn't necessarily make a truth.

Oh, and thanks.

I do try, but I'm not always successful.

But I always seem to get a troll who has to attack me at every turn they get whenever I do say something insightful.

I'm sick and tired of those trolls.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Hate this, love that . .

I don't recall that I use the word Hate. Not saying I never have.

(reference to official hate groups doesn't count - - wasn't my doing).

I do find it interesting a few posters use it in reference to me. It must be a "special" word on their vocabulary list.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You dared to criticize them, and remember, any criticism of Christians in any way shape or form is hate, according to them. Just like any laws that pass forbidding them to put religious displays on government buildings is a War On Christmas.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I think it is a choice for some, but not for all, and that it all depends on the individual circumstances.

OK. I support the sliding scale. A person can be way one side homosexual or way the other side heterosexual.

But I believe most people fall closer to the middle. I think our natural state without social restrictions would be more toward group closeness - - not necessarily actual sex act.

If you are on the dividing line - - I do think circumstances could have an effect.

But homosexuals in countries with a death penalty? How any intelligent person can still hold on to "its a choice" - - blows my mind.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You dared to criticize them, and remember, any criticism of Christians in any way shape or form is hate, according to them. Just like any laws that pass forbidding them to put religious displays on government buildings is a War On Christmas.

LOL

I know. I pretty much stick to: "I 100% support separation of church and state".

And Equal Rights is government. As with Prop 8 - - religious belief was not allowed as an argument.

Its amazing how many twists and turns they can pull out of that.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

And what exactly does Stormdancer's post have to do with a kid being suspended for a T-shirt?

Stormdancer's post was a hell of a lot closer to being on topic than most of your nonsense has been!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I'm sure that clever use of the word "inciteful" was intentional...

No... not at all! I really did mean that as compliment, but I screwed up. I was thinking "insightful", and typed it wrong.
I'm sorry about that!

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by Annee

And what exactly does Stormdancer's post have to do with a kid being suspended for a T-shirt?

Stormdancer's post was a hell of a lot closer to being on topic than most of your nonsense has been!

See ya,
Milt

I don't mind thread drift in these types of threads, because what is being discussed is the root cause. It is about ones right to express themselves, about who gets to determine what is "right" and "wrong". About who gets to determine as to what is considered offensive and what isn't.

edit on 8-5-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a right to be offended, or even not to be offended, contrary to popular belief. However, the right to express ones' self ends on private property. For example, people can't storm a private gathering with intent to shut them down by shouting them down and call it and expression of free speech.

For example, a person, say a Muslim, does not have the right to enter a Christian's home and start shouting at them that the religion of Islam is the only true way etc...

Neither does the Christian have the right to do that to a Muslim home.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

There is a right to be offended. However, there is not a right to offend someone in retaliation, or to violate personal rights as a result of offense...then again, I suppose it depends on the country you're in.

Here in America, laws are laws. But I am not aware of any law that forbids taking offense (in fact, discrimination is banned partially to avoid offensive results)...although I am aware that this does not apply to Canadian establishments.

But if Canada has a law forbidding the act of taking offense, I feel genuinely sorry for any and all Canadians. That's a harsh country to live in.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

The FAA fines TV stations if they use offensive words on air.

So I'd call that laws against being offended.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Here's another lovely high school story of discrimination. Let's add it to the mix.

A Catholic school’s anti-gay snub. When a student wins the Matthew Shepard Scholarship, the bishop steps in -- and everybody loses By Mary Elizabeth Williams

In an open letter to the school, Fuller says that “Being the lone openly gay student in a small, Catholic school has not always been easy” but that he’s been honored by the “acceptance and respect” he’s received. And he says that the moment he learned he’d won the scholarship was “one of the happiest of my life.” Now, however, he writes, “I have never felt as invalidated and unaccepted as I have upon hearing the news that the scholarship that I have worked so hard for not just in the application process, but also in my deportment and actions over the years, would not be recognized in the way that it should at the graduation ceremony. www.salon.com...

And this is from the same person that posted this:
"And what exactly does Stormdancer's post have to do with a kid being suspended for a T-shirt?"
What the hell does that article have to do with "a kid being suspended for a T-shirt"? Here's a clue for you: IT DOESN'T!

You are only trying to derail this topic because you don't have a valid argument supporting William Swinimer's suspension, and are too damn dishonest to admit it.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

Please post on topic and QUIT the bickering.....discuss the topic and not other members!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am a Christian, that being said, I know what I would have done in this situation, I would have found, and worn a "Allah Akbar!" T-shirt, and made sure he saw it constantly, no doubt he would have a problem with it, as most fauxians (just made up a new word for yall', faux+xians(Christians)
) would have.

I would stop wearing my equally offensive shirt when he did, and no doubt this young man probably was encouraged by his shepherd parents and pastor to pull this stunt, to try and get away with rubbing other peoples noses in what he considers "Christianity".

The young man was a pious, "holier than thou" religious snob for what he did, and that is NOT how you witness or evangelize, it IS however a great way to turn people off Christianity, something many who profess to be Christian manage to do with great efficiency and success.

edit on 5/8/2012 by RyanFromCan because: missed a word

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join