It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I'm not sure which post you're referring to.

But as far as adults go, I often can't tell the difference between them and children since they act no differently than children.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It has been said a millions times, but as Christians rights are slowly taken from them, and poster here are joyful about it.

Well what goes around, comes around, your next.

Seriously, some people relish in anything anti christian.

dictionary.reference.com...

If the shoe fits.
edit on 033131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Remember, this is in Canada where they don't have a Bill Of Rights like America does, and has no right to free speech.

Horse crap!

Though it's not called the "Bill of Rights", Canada has the "Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms" which is very similar in it's protections. Freedom of speech is only one form of freedom of expression.

From the "Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms":

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

Source

Considering William Swinimer's shirt did not previously violate the school's dress code, forcing him to not wear it was a violation of his "freedom of expression". To do so for purely religious reasons would also violate his "freedom of conscience and religion".

If the school officials felt that William was harassing other students with his beliefs, they should have suspended him for "harassing other students", and not over the statement on his shirt. They likely didn't have a case to support that argument, so they used his shirt as an excuse.

The school administrator that suspended William Swinimer is guilty of discrimination by violating two of his "fundamental freedoms":
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

This whole incident has nothing to do with:
Anyone's Imaginary "Right to Not be Offended"
Christians
Separation of Church and State
Annee's Self Perceived Expertise on the Subjects of Christianity and "the Separation of Church and State"
Atheists
Gays
Homosexuals
Heterosexuals
Islam
Trolls
Idiots
Bigots (though there are many)
Abortions
Stem Cells
God
Religion
Dan Savage
You
Me
The Damn Fence Post
Or ANYTHING OTHER THAN William Swinimer's RIGHTS... which WERE MOST CERTAINLY VIOLATED!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 8-5-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

.....amazing.

That deserved a star and a half.

Congratulations on adding in and making it obvious for everyone to see. Hopefully the "person who shall not be named" won't go on a rant about something random that she hates again.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

This is what I've said from the beginning... :bnghd:
edit on CTuesdaypm060641f41America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don't see why anyone should CARE what his shirt says - you can disagree. It shouldn't offend anymore than

Life is wasted without Grapes.
Life is wasted without Guns.
Life is wasted without Pot.
Life is more wasted with POT.
Life is wasted without Thor.

It's an opinion. Let people have them, let them go there, get the t-shirt and wear it.
You go where you want to, let them go where they want to.
Don't mandate anyone wear it, or agree with it, and we should all be better off.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

Funny thing that, our public school systems were founded by Christians

106 of the first 108 colleges were started on the Christian faith. By the close of 1860 there were 246 colleges in America. Seventeen of these were state institutions; almost every other one was founded by Christian denominations or by individuals who avowed a religious purpose.

Harvard College, 1636 - An Original Rule of Harvard College: "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life, (John 17:3), and therefore to lay Christ in the bottom, as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and learning."

William and Mary, 1691 - The College of William and Mary was started mainly due to the efforts of Rev. James Blair in order, according to its charter of 1691, "that the Church of Virginia may be furnished with a seminary of ministers of the gospel, and that the youth may be piously educated in good letters and manners, and that the Christian religion may be propagated among the Western Indians to the glory of Almighty God."

Yale University, 1701 - Yale University was started by Congregational ministers in 1701,"for the liberal and religious education of suitable youth…to propagate in this wilderness, the blessed reformed Protestant religion…"

Princeton, 1746 - Associated with the Great Awakening, Princeton was founded by the Presbyterians in 1746. Rev. Jonathan Dickinson became its first president, declaring, "cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ."

University of Pennsylvania, 1751 - Ben Franklin had much to do with the beginning of the University of Pennsylvania. It was not started by a denomination, but its laws reflect its Christian character. Consider the first two Laws, relating to Moral Conduct (from 1801): "1. None of the students or scholars, belonging to this seminary, shall make use of any indecent or immoral language: whether it consist in immodest expressions; in cursing and swearing; or in exclamations which introduce the name of God, without reverence, and without necessity. "2. None of them shall, without a good and sufficient reason, be absent from school, or late in his attendance; more particularly at the time of prayers, and of the reading of the Holy Scriptures."

Some other colleges started before America's Independence include: Columbia founded in 1754 (called King's College up until 1784), Dartmouth ,1770; Brown started by the Baptists in 1764; Rutgers, 1766, by the Dutch Reformed Church; Washington and Lee, 1749; and Hampton-Sydney, 1776, by the Presbyterians.

www.tysknews.com...

And with progress,

you wonder why Americas going to hell in a hand basket?

You think we are better off now?
edit on 043131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
OH! the Irony, I recall a quite a quite few months back, being called a racist and a bigot because I was against the stoning and Hanging of Islamic women and gays,

And here we are talking about a shirt.

edit on 043131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I don't care. Not even a little bit.

I live today.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

That deserved a star and a half.

Congratulations on adding in and making it obvious for everyone to see.

Thank you!

Though I truly do love to "troll" among the bigots, it does get a little old, and bit boring after a while.

Hopefully the "person who shall not be named" won't go on a rant about something random that she hates again.

I don't feel that "person who shall not be named" has that much dignity.

I certainly enjoyed your numerous posts as well.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

I believe in being proud for what you've accomplished, not just for being you, and not just for just existing

That's pretty hard to do when society doesn't allow it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I live today.

Than you might want to brush up on Canada a bit.

TODAY, Canada has many Catholic School Boards that are considered the Public System.

The decision is left to the local community as to which school system is the 'public' system and which is the 'separate' system.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

I live today.

Than you might want to brush up on Canada a bit.

Why? I'm not Canadian.

My son-in-law is - - but he's Atheist too. So he doesn't are either.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

[
Why? I'm not Canadian.

My son-in-law is - - but he's Atheist too. So he doesn't are either.

If you're not interested in brushing up on the topic, maybe you should refrain from commenting on it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

If you're not interested in brushing up on the topic, maybe you should refrain from commenting on it.

And what exactly does Stormdancer's post have to do with a kid being suspended for a T-shirt? Because all I did was respond to the post.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I live today.

Yep, you don't care and admit it or not, you have issues with Christianity.....and no one here says you shouldn't. But you and others in this thread feel that you can pick and choose what issues people should feel offended by. To hell with that.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

This is what I've said from the beginning...

Yes you have... and I'm sure many of us have noticed! I know that I did!

Unfortunately, and far too obvious, many are so damned blinded by their ignorance, and hatred of Christianity, that they will never be able to see the truth in this matter. That truly is a shame!

I've enjoyed your numerous and inciteful, posts.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I'm sure that clever use of the word "inciteful" was intentional...

I'll take it with a pinch of pepper.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yep! I'm sure many of us already knew that. I know I did.

I live today.

No you don't... You only HATE today.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here's another lovely high school story of discrimination. Let's add it to the mix.

A Catholic school’s anti-gay snub. When a student wins the Matthew Shepard Scholarship, the bishop steps in -- and everybody loses By Mary Elizabeth Williams

In an open letter to the school, Fuller says that “Being the lone openly gay student in a small, Catholic school has not always been easy” but that he’s been honored by the “acceptance and respect” he’s received. And he says that the moment he learned he’d won the scholarship was “one of the happiest of my life.” Now, however, he writes, “I have never felt as invalidated and unaccepted as I have upon hearing the news that the scholarship that I have worked so hard for not just in the application process, but also in my deportment and actions over the years, would not be recognized in the way that it should at the graduation ceremony. www.salon.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join