It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think I can do that. I pride myself on examining the bigger picture...something many people have failed to learn.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Canada did do some oppression of the indigenous people on their own though, in similar ways America did to the Indians.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

hahaha

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
By the way, i don't care if they want to be homosexuals or not. While i do have some unpopular opinions on them that I'm not allowed to express because of the liberals horsepatties, i still don't care.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
By the way, i don't care if they want to be homosexuals or not.

Who would WANT to be homosexual?

Seriously - - - who would make the choice.

Did you choose to be heterosexual? Or are you just born that way?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

They obviously do want, wanting is not the same thing as realizing what they are, but once they've found out their orientation, they do revel in it and love to shove it into people's faces.

If they didn't want to be then they wouldn't advertise and not be homosexual.

Stop being so damned PC.

Now comes the part when liberals start insulting me.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I think being proud of who you are is more important than pretending to be something else to satisfy the people who don't care one bit about your happiness. At least they are fighting for something that's right, unlike homophobes who hate that which they don't understand, or because they were told by someone who died thousands of years ago that it was wrong...for absolutely NO reason. To live a lie and be accepted, or be true and live happy?

Not that you would understand such a concept.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I believe in being proud for what you've accomplished, not just for being you, and not just for just existing

Because it's not fair that some people get to be proud for being themselves while others are not allowed to.

It doesn't mean that you have to be ashamed of yourself either.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I believe in being proud of yourself when living in an age that causes many trivial details to be regarded with suspicion and dislike...just because it's different.

We're a species of extremes...we're either proud or ashamed. And when someone makes you feel ashamed of being who you are (which happens quite a lot with the ignoramuses in America) you have to turn around and raise your flag proudly. Otherwise, you will shrivel up inside.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

His shirt did not say, "I love Jesus", nor something else that was a simple statement of faith. It said, "A LIFE WITHOUT JESUS IS WASTED". That is casting aspersions on ANYONE who is not a Christian, not matter how much good they have done in their life. NO ONE has the right to tell someone else that their life is wasted based on an interpretation of ancient religious texts, which have been horribly cobbled together and mistranslated to boot.

This was a public school where all students of all faiths and creeds, not a place where the can expect to have their lives belittled by someone of a different faith. It was a confrontational act and it was dealt with appropriately. Too bad someone who is a REAL Christian can't sit this young man down and explain it to him.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jaguarsky

I don't know what kind of shirts they wear in Canada, but it seems that of all slogans to kick up a fuss about, this is a little below the board.

If they can kick these out, they may as well make everyone wear shirts designed in the national colors, and absolutely nothing else on them. Not even the school logo.

If we're talking about political correctness, and prevention of conflict, that would seem pretty inside-the-lines, wouldn't you say?
edit on CTuesdaypm484859f59America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by IronArm

Canada did do some oppression of the indigenous people on their own though, in similar ways America did to the Indians.

You are absolutely correct, I have a card saying I get land if I move to Ontario because of native blood. However, I hate Ontario lol

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarsky
reply to post by IronArm

His shirt did not say, "I love Jesus", nor something else that was a simple statement of faith. It said, "A LIFE WITHOUT JESUS IS WASTED". That is casting aspersions on ANYONE who is not a Christian, not matter how much good they have done in their life. NO ONE has the right to tell someone else that their life is wasted based on an interpretation of ancient religious texts, which have been horribly cobbled together and mistranslated to boot.

This was a public school where all students of all faiths and creeds, not a place where the can expect to have their lives belittled by someone of a different faith. It was a confrontational act and it was dealt with appropriately. Too bad someone who is a REAL Christian can't sit this young man down and explain it to him.

But looking at it objectively, its no different that someone wearing a shirt that says "Drive a Ford, the rest suck Goats"

Its offencive to those that don't share the belief, but its opinion and it does not hurt anyone in the grand scheme of life.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Swinimer says he never intended to attack anyone else's beliefs.

I believe that to be true. He'd probably, for a lack of better words, be nice to an atheist, muslim, ect.

The real problem, as the article said, was that some teachers found it offensive.

Anytime a student "rebels" against authority, whether they are goth, punk, or goodie two-shoes Christian (strange bedfellows huh
), administration and teachers aren't going to like it. You're undercutting their bullcrap, and they don't want that challenged.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
No, we don't have a First Amendment, but we do have what is called the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I am not a christian, however I do find it offensive when someones rights are being trampled on by a school that doesn't respect or acknowledge the Charter.

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and (d) freedom of association.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

If he has the time he should take the school to court, perhaps all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

So if Christians were protesting a pro-atheist tee shirt, you'd tell them to STFU? After all, if a guy can wear an offensive tee shirt that is pro-Jesus, why can't another guy wear a shirt that is pro-Atheist?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yup. It would be violating the Charter. I'm about the LAW when it comes to rights, I look at things from the eye of the law, nothing more. Just as I would defend someone wearing a "pro gay rainbow flag shirt". If he is told to remove it, his rights are being violated, it's really quite simple and the most basic of the law of our land.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Nope. Not a darn problem. It gives them reasons to have an adult conversation that settles the matter in an adult fashion...

Do you have a problem with this idea, as well?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Jesus was a cult leader, which is why the Romans crucified him.

....... c:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Section13

Can't argue with that, really.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join