It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

It was just a pro-Jesus message, and not really meant to be proselytizing. Some people are just being arses and taking offense at it.

That comment surprised the HELL out of me! I couldn't agree more!

What do you think of my new avatar? It's rather "becoming" of me, don't you think?

And just so ya know:
I'm the one that put the first stars on your last two posts. You deserved them!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

OH! The Irony, (should that be quoted?) you cannot seem to get the point that we are not talking about the US, but Rather Canada.

Now that you "got that off your chest" perhaps you would like to return to the topic of this thread, which is NOT Canada.

In an effort to get back on track, you could respond to this post? I am truly interested in reading your responses to the questions I asked of you!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Garfee

Nowhere in the OP was homosexuality mentioned or even hinted at. Homosexuality was a reference tossed in by a user making a tactless comment regarding the concept of expressing beliefs on clothing. It has nothing to do with this specific topic.

If christians want equal rights it has everything to do with it.

Awww kid can't wear it's jesus t-shirt to school. I can't marry the person I love - suck it up princesses.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Your abrasive and uncaring response is both immature and noncontributory.

Freedom of expression has nothing to do with marriage. Get over it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
reply to post by Stormdancer777

OH! the Irony, I recall a quite a quite few months back, being called a racist and a bigot because I was against the stoning and Hanging of Islamic women and gays,

OH! The Irony, (should that be quoted?) you cannot seem to get the point that we are not talking about the US, but Rather Canada.

So.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

reply to post by Garfee

Nowhere in the OP was homosexuality mentioned or even hinted at. Homosexuality was a reference tossed in by a user making a tactless comment regarding the concept of expressing beliefs on clothing. It has nothing to do with this specific topic.

If christians want equal rights it has everything to do with it.

Awww kid can't wear it's jesus t-shirt to school. I can't marry the person I love - suck it up princesses.

But, would you deny them their rights after gaining your right to marry, I say many would.

Anyway, isn't this a a shirt?
edit on 063131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Garfee

Your abrasive and uncaring response is both immature and noncontributory.

Freedom of expression has nothing to do with marriage. Get over it.

The fact that you can't see that christians demand rights while preventing others from enjoying their own is utterly disappointing.

Not a very good attempt at getting personal though, try harder next time.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Actually, in Canada you can, as long as they are of legal consent age and have parental consent if under adult age.

So why can't he wear a shirt again?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Yes, I would if everyone was denied equally. They're kids for goodness sake and there's a reason so many schools have uniforms!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Yes, I would if everyone was denied equally. They're kids for goodness sake and there's a reason so many schools have uniforms!

I don't have a problem with uniforms, I think it is a good idea, and I am not against gay rights, however, in many ways Christians are having their rights taken away, slowly but surely,

What matters is that we all protect one anothers rights, or we are headed for trouble.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

What exactly are Christian rights?

Which ones are being taken away?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

From what I can see, this isn't about Christians oppressing people. It's about Christians being oppressed.

Since I would want Christians to defend me if my rights were being impinged upon, I'm doing the same for them. Because it's absolutely correct that this is a case of discrimination.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I don't have a problem with uniforms, I think it is a good idea, and I am not against gay rights, however, in many ways Christians are having their rights taken away, slowly but surely,

Aww well perhaps they will eventually feel like they make everyone else feel.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

I'm getting the distinct impression that you aren't even trying to remain unbiased in your review of this discussion.

Someone's rights were violated, but you use their beliefs to make an exception, or to say "oh well". That is the definition of discrimination.

edit on CWednesdaypm151555f55America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

What exactly are Christian rights?

Which ones are being taken away?

Well I think I mentioned when I was young we did pray in school, we were allowed to sing Christmas carols, now they don't even want crosses to be displayed in some cemeteries, I don't see much complaining of other religious symbolism, only Christian.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

That's because Christian symbolism IS all other symbols.

Where do you think the Christians got their symbols? They're stolen.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Atheist Group Wants Memorial Cross Removed From RI Fire Station

It's been there since 1921, and now heaven help us it must be taken down?

Come on it's getting ridiculous.

www.christianpost.com...

How is the symbol of a cross offensive to anyone, there are things I find offensive, but hell, drive the other direction.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

That's because Christian symbolism IS all other symbols.

Where do you think the Christians got their symbols? They're stolen.

I know this, I have studied many religions.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Christians have freedom of religion, but they don't have the right to worship anywhere and everywhere they please.

Plus, you may bring up the point that others don't have any problems with other religions, personally I have two things to say about that.

1, I believe all religion should be kept out of public schools. If one religion should be allowed, then ALL RELIGIONS should be allowed, even religions like Scientology and Satanism and FSM.

2 Christians believe that only their religion should be taught in schools, and absolutely no other religion.

3. They don't care if a parent will protest, they will do what they can to convert the child and children to their religion.

The only reason why Christians want to bring prayer into school because they will have access to a captive audience.

But the truth of the matter is, private personal prayers and Bible reading are allowed in school, as well as after school Christian clubs. School officials may not lead or sponsor prayer meetings. This is a fact that Christians conveniently ignore and leave out when they claim that their rights to pray are being stepped on.

It is the fact that school officials can''t lead prayer ebcause it is a violation of separation of church and state is what Christians are referring to when they lament that they aren't allowed to pray in school. They mean they want to break separation of church and state and have school officials lead prayer, and only Christian prayer.

And here's a few tidbits you might not know about:

Illinois vs. McCollum (1948).--The court ruled that allowing religious teachers to come into public schools to give religious instruction violated the First Amendment's Establishment Clause, which prohibits government establishment of religion. The court said the policy tears down the wall" separating church and state -- a phrase coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Westbury Baptists after the Constitution had been written and ratified. Click for a full text version.

Zorach vs. Clauson (1952).--The court upheld a school policy that allowed students to leave public schools to receive religious training off campus. Click for a full text version.

Engel vs. Vitale (1962).--A strongly civil-libertarian court, headed by Chief Justice Earl Warren, ruled that reciting nondenominational prayers written by government officials violated the Establishment Clause. Click for a full text version.

The Board of Education of Union Free School District No. 9, New Hyde Park, New York, required students to recite a 22-word, nondenominational prayer every morning. Several parents sued claiming that this prayer requirement violated their children's freedom of religion. The United States Supreme Court ruled that the daily prayer ritual violated the First Amendment's Establishment Clause, even though students were given the opportunity not to participate. The Establishment Clause provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

www.witchvox.com...

So really, Christians are not losing their rights to pray in schools.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Thanks you, for the dates,

I am 62 years old, do you think we are better off today ?

I don't.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join