It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

I think you will find that the shirt was the last straw, the young man had a habit of throwing his beliefs in the faces of other students, as has been indicated in a few posts (with sources cited). Many of us here figured out there was more to it than just the shirt from the very beginning, I think that is why some trolls are now trying to derail the thread, because it now has come to light that in fact, there was more to it, so it wan not just some poor "christian" being picked on.

If you go back a page or two, you will see the posts pointing out the fact this young man had been doing this for some time now.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

While you were talking about trolls in here, I was actually at Church. God and several other people are my witness. The joke is on you. Have a nice night.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Good for you, I go to church too, but faith is so much more than where you go once, or a few times a week, it is about how you live your life and treat others. That is the problem, too many people think the simple act of going to church makes them a Christian, when in fact, Church is simply a place to fellowship, and share your faith with like minded people, the real litmus test for Christians, is how they live their lives.

Jokes on you I guess, oh, and in about 31 hours (woke up early, it is 4AM here) I will be in church too, so don't expect a reply in that particular time period, wink WINK, nudge NUDGE, lol.

Since I am up early, Maybe I will go attend the garage and become a car, or possibly the bakery, it smells awesome right now, and become a loaf of bread.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
reply to post by MidnightTide

Schools in Canada are training their children how to protest conservative governments, promote Al Gore's lies and other various liberal agendas. Social engineering at its finest.

Or you can say it short and sweet, "Canadian schools are teaching kids to think for themselves".

Nope, it is brainwashing pure and simple. It is funny how schools show whatever crap Al Gore is spouting these days but recommend that they show something with an opposite opinion, not allowed. That in itself shows this is indoctrination.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Schools in Canada are training their children how to protest conservative governments, promote Al Gore's lies and other various liberal agendas. Social engineering at its finest.

Or you can say it short and sweet, "Canadian schools are teaching kids to think for themselves".

Nope, it is brainwashing pure and simple. It is funny how schools show whatever crap Al Gore is spouting these days but recommend that they show something with an opposite opinion, not allowed. That in itself shows this is indoctrination.

In American military recruiters are allowed on high school grounds.

Peace organizations are not.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

That is the problem, too many people think the simple act of going to church makes them a Christian, when in fact, Church is simply a place to fellowship, and share your faith with like minded people, the real litmus test for Christians, is how they live their lives.

Yes - - even though I consider myself Atheist. I do believe in Energy Consciousness.

I believe thought is energy creating and every thought is an action.

Can you imagine some of these Christians - - - living by "every thought is an action"?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Since it has come to light that he has been proselytizing with actual speech and pestering students over it, It does change my opinion.

However, I do not see it as a violation of church and state issue, or whatever equivalent they have in Canada.

I say the student needs to be held accountable for his actions, give him a few detentions or even suspend him for a day or two. Students do not have the right to harass any other students over their beliefs, period.

However, I still say let him wear the shirt.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So indoctrination is ok as long as you agree with the message? As you have said, school isn't the place to teach religion, well - neither is pushing a political agenda.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Please tell me how Canadian schools are teaching their students to protest conservative governments? What exactly is it that the schools are teaching that upsets you? When you have finished explaining your particular concerns, can you share with us what you think a good way to correct those issues would be? What do you think the schools SHOULD be teaching their students?

Please be specific.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

m.torontosun.com...

It isn't the place for schools to dictate what is right and wrong with complex issues. If you are going to teach something, explain both sides of the story. Now that is simple and easy, educate then allow people to make their own opinion....even if you don't agree with it.

edit on 12-5-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

People are indoctrinated to act like children for life. Sad but true. Don't like something go cry to mommy and daddy, maybe they will fix it.

Back in the day, our parents taught us useful things, like to ignore things that offended us, and not let it affect us. Now people go cry to some authority figure. Pathetic.
edit on Sat, 12 May 2012 13:03:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think you will find that the shirt was the last straw, the young man had a habit of throwing his beliefs in the faces of other students, as has been indicated in a few posts (with sources cited). Many of us here figured out there was more to it than just the shirt from the very beginning, I think that is why some trolls are now trying to derail the thread, because it now has come to light that in fact, there was more to it, so it wan not just some poor "christian" being picked on.

Once again, you ignore points that have already been made, and continue to make asinine accusations.

I have already acknowledged, and covered, Swinimer's previous actions in my argument with the following paragraph:

If the school officials felt that William was harassing other students with his beliefs, they should have suspended him for "harassing other students", and not over the statement on his shirt. They likely didn't have a case to support that argument, so they used his shirt as an excuse.

I even, very persistently, invited you to refute that argument, point by point, but you have only, and intentionally done so, AVOIDED IT! Once again I will challenge you to do so. That would certainly be a bit more constructive than your posting the same, very tiring and absolutely biased nonsense, over and over.

If you go back a page or two, you will see the posts pointing out the fact this young man had been doing this for some time now.

Posts are NOT valid sources! The articles linked to in this thread, however, ARE. The links to ALL of them can be found in this one post.

Strictly for your benefit, I have also increased the font size of my links, in the hope that you might find them easier.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Good for you, I go to church too, but faith is so much more than where you go once, or a few times a week, it is about how you live your life and treat others. That is the problem, too many people think the simple act of going to church makes them a Christian, when in fact, Church is simply a place to fellowship, and share your faith with like minded people, the real litmus test for Christians, is how they live their lives.

Jokes on you I guess, oh, and in about 31 hours (woke up early, it is 4AM here) I will be in church too, so don't expect a reply in that particular time period, wink WINK, nudge NUDGE, lol.

Since I am up early, Maybe I will go attend the garage and become a car, or possibly the bakery, it smells awesome right now, and become a loaf of bread.

I never thought that the simple act of attending Church was all that was necessary. I do not believe in vicarious atonement. I believe that we are responsible for all our words and actions on a karmic level and that we must balance "every jot and tittle" of the law. Your snotty attitude about attending a garage and becoming a car is just silly nonsense. You might want to develop some real theological thinking instead of making nasty remarks. I recommended you read some of the writings of true Christian mystics and here you are accusing me of being vapid.
I also think you are wrong in your assessment of the purpose of Church. Yes it is for fellowship but it is also directly a point of adoration to God. The atmosphere of a beautiful Church always makes me feel worshipful and reverent. I seek to duplicate that feeling by having a personal altar at home. One can worship God on the Altar of the Heart wherever one is, but sometimes an atmosphere of reverence can help.
In the Hindu religion, Bhakti yoga is the term for devotional service to God.
A Church service is also a point of knowledge and learning of scripture. Does not your priest give sermons on scripture?

edit on 12-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Please tell me how Canadian schools are teaching their students to protest conservative governments? What exactly is it that the schools are teaching that upsets you? When you have finished explaining your particular concerns, can you share with us what you think a good way to correct those issues would be? What do you think the schools SHOULD be teaching their students?

Please be specific.

I wouldn't just say Canadian schools necessarily, but all public schools which use the Dewey model.

Not in the minds of "progressive" educators and utopian globalists. They have yet to fulfill their revolutionary vision, but they are well on their way to a tragic victory. So while you and I decry the destruction of an academic system that produced nearly 100% literacy (at least at least in California) -- seventy years ago, others cheer the changes that have traded facts for fantasy, truth for myths, academics for collective socialization and individual thinking for group manipulation.

It happened slowly -- largely through stealth and deception. Today's educational establishment, birthed over a century ago by John Dewey and his associates, learned early the tactics of social transformation: infiltration, propaganda, secret councils and continual multiplication through networks of influential new organizations.

From the beginning, they were determined to destroy the old education system in order to build the collective world of their dreams. Reporting to the annual NEA meeting in 1935, Willard Givens (soon-to-be executive secretary) wrote: "...many drastic changes must be made.... A dying 'laissez-faire' must be completely destroyed and all of us, including the 'owners', must be subjected to a large degree of social control.... The major function of the school is the social orientation of the individual. It must seek to give him understanding of the transition to a new social order."[2] Samuel Blumenfeld.

They have come a long way. Today, Christianity is banned from our government schools. Instead, students are immersed in the new global spirituality -- a contemporary, idealistic blend of all religions -- through classroom myths, rituals, symbols and multicultural experiences. This new spiritual synthesis has been adapted to fit the amoral, religious standards outlined by UNESCO's Declaration on the role of religion in a culture of peace and Declaration of Principles on Tolerance.

1933. John Dewey co-authored the first Humanist Manifesto. It called for a "synthesizing of all religions" and a socialized and cooperative economic order." [1] Cuddy, page 18.

1897. My Pedagogic Creed by John Dewey was published. In it, Dewey states, "I believe that the schools is primarily a social institution.... Examinations are of use only so far as they test the child/s fitness for social life..." [1] Cuddy, page 9.
1912. The NEA saw sex education as a useful tool in their values-changing process.

1948. The NEA was funded in part by the Carnegie Corporation

1946. In his NEA editorial, "The teacher and World Government," J. Elmer Morgan, wrote, "In the struggle to establish an adequate world government, the teacher... can do much to prepare the hearts and minds of children.... At the very top of all the agencies which will assure the coming of world government must stand the school, the teacher, and the organized profession." The NEA Journal (January 1946); 1.
1948. Julian Huxley (first Director-General of UNESCO) wrote in UNESCO: Its Purpose and Its Philosophy: The general philosophy of UNESCO should be a scientific world humanism, global in extent and evolutionary in background... In its education program it can... familiarize all peoples with the implications of the transfer of full sovereignty from separate nations to a world organization.... Tasks for the media division of Unesco [will be] to promote the growth of a common outlook shared by all nations and cultures... to help the emergence of a single world culture." [1] Cuddy, 25.

1948. B.F. Skinner (1972 Humanist of the Year) described a society in which children are reared by the State rather than their parents, are never punished, and learn only "desirable" characteristics from birth. [1] Cuddy, 25.
1967. The NEA Journal published "Helping Children to Clarify Values" by Louis Raths, Sidney Simon and M Harmin. It said: "The old approach seems to be to persuade the child to adopt the 'right' values rather than to help him develop a valuing process...."

www.crossroad.to...

That is what the schools are teaching instead of real reading, writing, and arithmetic.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by MidnightTide

They don't need to allow "Peace organizations" since public schools are already based on UNESCO and the Dewey model.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Geez. Where have you been all my life? La luna, my reflection.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

That appears to be one of those condescending "I'm a better Christian than you are!" posts that would only be written by a true "fauxian", by your definition.

Unfortunately, I discovered that you claimed credit for a "word" that, in fact, YOU DID NOT MAKE UP:

fauXian
A faux, or fake, Christian. A professed Christian whose harsh judgement of others' liberal attitudes conflicts with the pluralistic benevolence and acceptance preached by the founder of the religion, Jesus Christ.

That definition would fit you perfectly, except that you are a liberal who harshly "passes" judgement on conservative Christians with whom you disagree, so I reckon that just makes you just a plain old ordinary hypocrite, after all.

Would you care to guess who I feel the joke is on?

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

One major difference between military recruiters and peace organizations, is that military recruiters are actually offering jobs, while "peace organizations" would only be recruiting activists for protests.

Why would you want "peace organizations" on high school campuses anyway? You've already expressed the ideal that high schools are NOT where students should express their own opinions.

That seems to be a contradiction, on your part, to me!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yes - - even though I consider myself Atheist. I do believe in Energy Consciousness.

I believe thought is energy creating and every thought is an action.

Can you imagine some of these Christians - - - living by "every thought is an action"?

Why do you seem to feel that atheists are superior to Christians? Atheists tend to be just as damn hypocritical and dishonest as anyone else. You, yourself, have demonstrated that to be true!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

However, I still say let him wear the shirt.

I agree, so have a star on me!

See ya,
Milt

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38 >>

join