It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rastus3663

I'm curious. Do you believe that truth is relative or objective?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by paradox

sorry paradox, I am not inside your box...

I am specialer than thou (a slightly evolved chimp)

Sorry Sissy, specialer isn't a word.

Seems like you have some more evolving to do.
You have the same thought process of our two thousand year old ancestors!

Talk about unevolved!
Get with the times, man. Science is a great thing!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

reply to post by xxSouthernGirlxx

I swing low too... like a chimp!

back in 86 man I was seeing a shrink but now I'm humble cause I've seen the light...

edit on 21-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

I don't know what exactly that means. Oh well. At least I keep to myself and don't know knocking on strangers doors trying to get them to "see the light". I try to get along with everyone and help anyone I can. I don't care what god they believe in.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

what I find interesting is that people believe and science and religion are so far apart from each other that they cannot be reconciled.

I think the truth is that they aren't so far apart. And we have to define our terms a bit as well. I love science, but I don't think it's infallible. You can call me a religious person because I am Christian, but that doesn't mean I am illogical and irrational.

Hard science is great, but soft science is more speculative. A spiritual understanding within one's self is great, but it by no way means you are absolutely right and you have all the answers.

Why do the atheists and the religious folks both assert they are correct and the other is wrong? I think it's a human heart issue, and I think they are arguing past one another.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

When religion proves to have its place within science, I could possibly take your statement into consideration.

Until then, fairy tales have no room in science.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

you mean you like to stick to people who agree with you and see those who don't as your enemy?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

see you bash religion. there is no place for that.

Secondly, most of "religion" deals with philosophical truths. That's something no amount of science can conclude by simple observations.

You can test the physical, chemical and molecular properties of a piece of paper all you want, but until you read what the paper says, you will never know what it was saying.

Just like you can break down matter to the smallest particle and it will not tell you why it's there.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FaceLikeTheSun
reply to post by paradox

see you bash religion. there is no place for that.

Yes there is, because it is illogical.

Secondly, most of "religion" deals with philosophical truths. That's something no amount of science can conclude by simple observations.

You can test the physical, chemical and molecular properties of a piece of paper all you want, but until you read what the paper says, you will never know what it was saying.

Just like you can break down matter to the smallest particle and it will not tell you why it's there.

You can pretend the bible contains philosophical 'truths' all you want. As much as you think it, it does not change the fact that there is no truth to anything in the bible.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

lol

lets break down what you said...

"Yes there is (reason to bash religion) because it is illogical."

So you're saying, anything illogical is allowed to be bashed. Therefore, I am allowed to bash you because that statement lacks logic. What you are saying is that illogic beliefs gives you a right to bash. That is totally illogical if you ask me or anyone who understands logic.

"You can pretend the bible contains philosophical 'truths' all you want. As much as you think it, it does not change the fact that there is no truth to anything in the bible."

Sooooo basically you're saying, "the bible isn't true...because the bible isn't true."

I thought you argued for sound logic and this sounds like mud slinging to me.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I'm not an atheist but I defend it the second someone calls an atheist or any non-Christian a name or belittles them. I.e. godhatesgoths.com

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

lol

lets break down what you said...

"Yes there is (reason to bash religion) because it is illogical."

So you're saying, anything illogical is allowed to be bashed. Therefore, I am allowed to bash you because that statement lacks logic. What you are saying is that illogic beliefs gives you a right to bash. That is totally illogical if you ask me or anyone who understands logic.

Please show how the statement lacks logic, because everything you said here makes no sense.

"You can pretend the bible contains philosophical 'truths' all you want. As much as you think it, it does not change the fact that there is no truth to anything in the bible."

Sooooo basically you're saying, "the bible isn't true...because the bible isn't true."

I thought you argued for sound logic and this sounds like mud slinging to me.

Please show me where in reality a man has parted a sea, a man has built a boat big enough to hold every species of animal and repopulate the earth (better yet, show me where there was a global flood), a snake can talk, a virgin randomly gives birth, a donkey can talk, etc etc etc.

After you fail to show that, I could point you to many children's fairy tales that contain the same characteristics.

Then, you can show me how that is logical, and what the "philosophical truths" are behind that. Please, feel free to defend your stance at any time. I will be waiting for you to show your great logic, because of course you are obviously one of the people who "understands logic," right?
edit on 4-21-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
it just doesn't take much forethought and a sensible education and observation of history to know that the 95+% of humans on this planet are obviously not as smart as the limited few self proclaimed atheist are and that the atheistic belief structure leads to a caste system or even idolatry for the rest of us...

specialer is a word to me, I personally don't care what the limited few think when I'm having fun

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

First of all, you don't see illogic in what you claimed? religion is illogical therefore I can bash it. That has NO roots in any logic or reason whatsoever. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

Secondly, you are comparing apples and oranges. If you want to discuss a particular topic, we can, but you just threw out Christian claims and asked me to prove them. Which obviously I cannot do in the same sense of someone proving if your grandfather actually wore a certain pair of pants without a shadow of a doubt.

But here's the deal. Don't you think that if God is real, he can defy nature? You ask about when these miracles etc occured elsewhere in history. Well, they wouldn't be miracles if they happened everyday. So you're logic in the question is wrong. That's like saying you can't prove George Washington was the first president of the US because no one else has ever been the first president of the US. Do you see the lacking in logic there?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Are you stating that Christianity is false because you are happier as an atheist?

If that's your case, then you are committing an informal fallacy in your logic.

In response to:

Originally posted by spyder550
To say that atheists don't value life and are bad is disingenuous. Atheists probably value life far more than most theists simply because they know this is it - not just a practice run for something better.

This is what I actually said: "That is such a true statement."

"I was raised Christian - - but never valued life as much as I do as Atheist. It's all on me - - my responsibility. There is no "go to guy" - - or reward at the end. Every thing is Now."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where in any of what was actually posted does your question/statement come from?

If you are going to play mind games - - get better at it.

Are you stating that Christianity is false because you are happier as an atheist?

If that's your case, then you are committing an informal fallacy in your logic.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I am a Christian,but i do not believe that Atheist are DE harmonizing the harmony of the spheres to any more of an extent then the Christians,or any other belief that allows the ideology of ones belief system to interrupt the harmony of anyone else s way of belief.
Really if i were to be honest with my self, ideology's based purely on religious beliefs has caused more wars and damage to society then any atheist agenda that i have ever seen.The real crux of the problem lays within the individuals inability to see when they have overstepped there boundaries and infringe on anthers right to believe how they see fit or what has become useful in there life to maintain social harmony.

edit on 21-4-2012 by Ghostcooler because: Further reflection of the topic

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

atheist are supposed to be battling theism... that equals every belief system besides their 2% to 3% minority in the real world.

they have a very narrow self centered limited perception and it seems they can only single out Christianity... even though they are supposedly the smartest people on the planet.

another personal observation or suspicion I have is that an atheist would be too cowardly to board one of those original rockets which took us to the moon?

edit on 21-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

anyone ever realize that atheist are some pretty vicious individuals? in meaning they love to attack the over 95% of the population which have a theistic belief system (which is usually based on respect and appreciation of life.)

is it a conspiracy here on ATS or is it just me...

maybe I could have put this in the rant section... then again atheist love to invade our turf and attack my brethren and sisters.

signed ...the mighty messenger!

Never have I beheld a post that contained so much yummy irony! Lets dial up the crusades and talk about who is attacking whom and why!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

informal fallacy...

behavior doesn't equal belief.

Stalin was atheist and he killed millions. Does that mean atheism is untrue? No. There is a gap in logic there. So when you bring up Inquisition and Crusades as a way to say theism is wrong, it's just not logical.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I was responging to

""I was raised Christian - - but never valued life as much as I do as Atheist."

on what you said here...

"It's all on me - - my responsibility. There is no "go to guy" - - or reward at the end. Every thing is Now."

I don't see Christianity as a throw away of personal responsibility. Far from it. In fact, it's pure self responsibility.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

atheist are supposed to be battling theism... that equals every belief system besides their 2% to 3% minority in the real world.

Where do you come up with this bogus crap?

Atheists don't give a Bull Pucky - - - as long as it doesn't affect their lives.

Atheism is not the opposite of Theism. One really has nothing to do with the other.

Seriously - - to oppose something - - you'd first have to acknowledge the existence of your opposition.

Atheists do not acknowledge god. There is no opposition.

Atheism is Lack of belief in a god. Period! It doesn't mean anything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join