It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The fishermen have never seen anything like this..." Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

edit on 19-4-2012 by confused.kom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I cannot help but wonder, how much longer can we continue to wreck havoc on this planet until something pushes us down an alternative, cleaner path? An in depth look at our destructional activities show that we're well on our way to our own demise. It's as though we're charging towards a brick wall, with no slowing down or any sign of stopping.

Is there any other species that flippantly destroys the envirnment that sustains it?

Today it's just kind of hit me, we're on a downward spiral and nothing is ever going to be 'good again' unless there is a major change in how we treat this planet. That doesn't make my future feel good.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98
Why not just go Fishing for fresh water fish? Does anyone fish anymore ? Well, I for have not done this in 15 years and I know would be lots of fun.

Freshwater fishing is not that safe anymore either. Years of industrial action in the United States and presumably most other places have dumped tons of mercury, PCB's and other nasty chemicals in the rivers and lakes. Everything that people do catch are raised at farms and stocked in "Clean" lakes and rivers.

This is from my state.
www.ct.gov...

What they do not tell you is that those fish with the cute little hearts are either farm raised or simply just high in the omega fatty acids but wild fish of that type are still not 100% safe to eat. Smart people avoid all bottom feeders. Annoying how they even have stats for omega-3 fatty acids in a report on what fish should be avoided.

Originally posted by AmazonOfArtemis
I cannot help but wonder, how much longer can we continue to wreck havoc on this planet until something pushes us down an alternative, cleaner path? An in depth look at our destructional activities show that we're well on our way to our own demise. It's as though we're charging towards a brick wall, with no slowing down or any sign of stopping.

Is there any other species that flippantly destroys the envirnment that sustains it?

Today it's just kind of hit me, we're on a downward spiral and nothing is ever going to be 'good again' unless there is a major change in how we treat this planet. That doesn't make my future feel good.

In my opinion I believe that most companies are thick headed and do not give a damn about our health unless it make them money *coughBigPharmaCough*. It is probably going to get much worse before it gets better unless we all stand up against these corporations.
edit on 19-4-2012 by Zygonator because: Added a response

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

About 3 percent of the fish they caught displayed gashes, ulcers and parasites symptomatic of environmental contamination, according to Murawski, the lead researcher. The number of sick fish rose not only as scientists moved west away from the relatively clean and oil-free waters of Florida but also as they pushed into deeper waters off the coasts of Alabama, Mississippi and especially Louisiana, near where the Deepwater Horizon sank.

About 10 percent of mud-dwelling tile fish caught in the DeSoto Canyon, to the northeast of the well, showed signs of sickness.

"The closer to the oil rig, the higher frequency was" of sick fish, Murawski said.

Source

So ABC got around to reporting this morning at 3:30am East Coast time....anybody else awake at this time?

Well is the news report from the AP reported by ABC fake too? or should I be denying ignorance?
edit on 19-4-2012 by relocator because: added more of the quote

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
this is disgusting, the oil companies have a great deal to answer for. if they screw up the oceans the world won't last long then no one can buy there oil

fix it please

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Glad to see the Story has at least made it to the Huffington Post.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Well Blane are you satisfied now?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Let's hear some more drill baby drill from these corporate shill's. BP will never pay the real cost of the damages it's costs.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's also important to remember that we had a lot of flooding going on in the central plains around that time. A lot of dumps were flooded and their chemicals released. Many fields were flooded and much of the chemical toxins entered the rivers also that dump into the gulf. We can't blame everything on BP or the oil industry. We need to start watching what we are doing elsewhere also.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Here is some actual hardcore research done on chemical dispersant's including Corexit that I found relevant to this topic. Unfortunately most articles you have to purchase but I will post the abstracts here for those wanting to really dig into the issue.

--Potential immunotoxicological health effects following exposure to COREXIT 9500A during cleanup of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

A review of the toxicity of chemical dispersants.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Really ridiculously awesome website to do some research on all things Biological in case you didn't see the common theme in the other links.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Due to the high risk of completely hijacking your thread I will stop here and perhaps open my own thread giving some insight into what some of this Jargon means and some more links.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I think the local seafood industry should band together and offer to give the Whitehouse all the fine local seafood it needs for its next international function, for free of course. I wonder what the reply would be?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

S&F Thank you, Loam, for the OP. Everyone should know how BP destroyed the GOM.

Who here is surprised? Countless barrels of highly toxic Corexit oil dispersant dumped into the Gulf.

And they're feeding this to our troops.

God help us.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
and once its in the food chain it will rise up to us.

I am sorry, did you think they sprayed all that corexit to get rid of the oil, wake up

The Massive hideous Corexit dump was an attack on our food chain. This was done on purpose and if you dont believe that you need your head examined, because you have probably eaten too much of it.

I hate to agree with you, but it looks like the culling has started in earnest.

I mean what is the alternative? The fact that a non-toxic oil dispersant (JD-2000) existed (that is a specific for that kind of south Louisiana crude) and they CHOSE to use Corexit which is so toxic its use was banned in Europe.

Nevermind that BP owns Nalco (maker of Corexit) -- who would be stupid enough to purposely destroy the GOM connected to all the seas of the world?

Can BP be that stupid?

Can BP be evil enough to poison us on purpose? Yes. Yes, I think so.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

just look at that woman who was on the posts a few days ago,died aged 30 cos of this #!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think it would be intensely interesting if someone did a study of where the major oil company executives, as well as out own government officials, spend their vacations lately. On the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico? Hmm?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I do not really care for these experts that Al-Jazeera used for the interviews. They seem to be more of the field research type that have a good understanding of what is going on but not the detailed understanding needed to figure out the problem.

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Very Interesting indeed. I wonder where all that cat food is ending up. Britiain, Scotland???
Wonder if its causing the "robot" disease cats are getting. Stiff legs and tails. Getting stuck in corners and cant turn around and its baffling vets. Robot Cat Disease Link

Going on the information on the link you provided it is very hard to say where Robot Cat Disease is coming from. It seems they have some valid hypothesis that they are working on now. I suspect that the BP oil spill did not cause it.

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

I know plenty of fishermen, I fish myself, and this is the first time I've heard anything close to this story. This story is alarmist claptrap.
I'm the last person to trust the government and corporations, believe me. I hate BP. Always will. But this is propaganda.
edit on 18-4-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

These mutations could only be happening in highly contaminated areas. Without more information it would be ignorant to assume it is an alarmist claptrap and it would be equally ignorant to assume it isn't.

Originally posted by ringlejames
reply to post by loam

Everyone is screaming deformities, I am screaming evolution.

With the massive BP oil spil, the thing probably grew that shell over its head so if it ran itno contaminated water like that it would some what sheld it.

And if they cleaned it up like they said they did, (:@@
, the evolution would probably lose it again. And the things on its side it grew might just be obsorbers like a filter , like our liver. maybe they needed to
grow more or something. Or it just could very well be tumors or cancer. We may never know.

The likely reason that there are no eyes on the shrimp are because of the dispersant Corexit and/or other chemicals are affecting the early development of the shrimp. It most likely is inhibiting a crucial pathway that signals cells to make the eyes. The thing to note about that is when one specific receptor or pathway is interrupted during cell division then other pathways and receptors are altered. without detailed studies done there is no way to find out what else is wrong with the shrimp. They could be mentally retarded, slow swimmers, etc. Only time will tell if that is at all beneficial to the evolution of the species but in my experience they will die off.

reply to post by burntheships

Interesting read on the stuff you posted however I think you kinda missed the point of your original argument. (Yes I read the articles) There is an article on the first synthetic cell then there is an article on whether bio-remediation could be used. Not an article on any confirmed microorganisms that were released to help clean up the spill. I would be interested in that article if you happen to find it.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Zygonator because: Edited to make it look prettier

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam this was brought up while this was being done with BP's attempt to cover it up with Corexit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It goes without saying... it will not be heard on MSN to any degree... BP are in their back pockets as well...]

Meanwhile. lets take a closer look at all of the Dolphins deaths that are taking place.. What they have eaten has been a factor and will to continue to affect them/us one way or the other.

Not to mention Radiation going into Pacific Ocean that will be the next nightmare.

Again not much is heard on the MSM... Lets not put fear in the sheeple.

Jesse

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Hey Rickymouse.. Your outlook " We can't blame everything on BP or the oil industry. We need to start watching what we are doing elsewhere also" .??????????????? Yes, I agree at looking eslewhere as well., Those qustions marks are indicating how many we could start with...Who's on top? Many are also to blame..that are in this for profit.. dispite the outcome of what gives us Life... Born again Idiots that I presume. are still at the Helm....
I hope they can afford the Real outcome of this!! (Hardley)
Lets be Honest... There is a real concept. However no profit in that...

Otherwise..

Know now what you consume... and what your children depend on in your right choice.
Pickins are getting slim.

Be wise, Be well..

Jesse

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Why do we let these people continue to poison us and our families? Are we so afraid of these people?
Every member of our government should be in jail with only GMOs and gulf sea food to eat!
It is said that "People get the government they deserve"! I believe this is said because we allow ourselves
to be oppressed. We wont ever fix this by talking about it! A call to Action has to be heard by all! We are our only hope through unity, self government and judging these crooked politicians harshly! If we continue to do nothing then we really have nothing to complain about! In that case we will all end up regreting our inaction!
Good luck with whatever you choose!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join