It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The fishermen have never seen anything like this..." Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well I think we can all see how they will bring the population down now.
With this! And non GM kill off. Mass bee die off.
We will see humans dying horrible deaths.

What if the gulf Oil spill was a fake?
And they let some oil out so they could dump poison and toxins in to the Sea?
Just to kill of the food supply?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
"It's as safe now as it was before the accident" oh really.... so the greater populations are experiancing deformities at a generational level. Somewhere under the Gulf is an ocean of oil with a thin layer of sand covering it, and milinea from now it will be called an oil reserve? and drilling will procede to recover it? Meanwhile populations of ocean marine life will be decimated.... And thats all ok?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists

It's almost two years since BP's oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Now, scientists say they have found deformities among seafood and a great decline in the numbers of marine life. Dahr Jamail reports from New Orleans.

edit on 18-4-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

Between us killing our own food supply and the government, I'm surprised we have anything left to eat. Soon it'll be the weeds growing in our yard that we have to turn into dinner because we killed or poisoned everything else! Disgraceful!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Petroleum would not cause genetic deformities like these; oil is a natural product and species have adapted somewhat to it's presence in the environment. It's effects tend to be immediate such as choking fish by covering their gills or killing an animal by ingestion. It does not create eyeless shrimp or lesions on fish.

The only other known factor at play is Corexit which is known to cause genetic damage and is listed as one of the most toxic substances by the EPA in their chemical workers handbook.
Forces are at work to create a world where only Corporations are capable of supplying the world it's food -and life. Destroying ocean life is an easy way to create a greater need for bio-engineered crops and livestock in a place where few people go and even less can seen or tested.

Something on the order of 40% of all the world's protein is supplied by seafood. The Gulf of Mexico is a toxic mess and the effects of Fukushima are not even being speculated upon yet. Indeed, the crisis there may yet worsen if the years of spent fuel rods become endangered.

2 events of such magnitude happening within a year of each other seems well, fishy to my conspiratorial side. People who have no problem ordering bombs dropped on civilian populations would also have little compunction in my opinion in allowing or even ordering such catastrophes to occur. Life is all about profits now, isn't it?

ETA - Ophiuchus; interesting that we reached similar conclusions as I was typing my post before yours appeared on the thread. S&F for you Loam. Good info, Thanks

edit on 18-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

All the more reason for people to start producing their own organic food.

If you have a spare room in your house or a large shed/barn or just a couple of acres to spare on your property, you can produce enough food to supply a small town by yourself.

Verticle Horticulture and Aquaculture are a sustainable way to produce food by the crapload. People living in cities can now buy wall gardens (which not only look cool in your livingroom, but also supply you with all the fruit and veg you'll ever need.

Look it up "Verticle Horticulture Verticle Aquaculture and Wall gardens".. Anyone can do it.

And it is getting cheaper to build the structures required too. You can buy Water tanks of different sizes and most of the equipmewnt to pump and re-cycle water through them for a few thousand dollars. You can buy solar powered verticle farm kits for a few hundred dollars.

Lets see tptb try to make home farms illegal or contaminate your personal gardens and fish/shellfish stocks..lol

Here in AU, natural native plants such as Acacia family can be used to make bread from ground Acacia seed (it's actually better for you than regular bread and wholegrain). Saltbush is edible and tastes great fried. There are tens of thousands of natural (non-gmo native plants across the country), that can be ustilised without even requiering farming.

If big business wants to destroy the food chain, they have to completely remove the Australias forests all together, as around 65% of our plant species are edible.

Now just recently the Australian Government tried to ban/outlaw Acacia and several other plants that contain trace ammounts of a substance thet (could be harvested to make a narcotic), however in order to make such a plant illegal, they would have had to remove it from the wild as well as peopls gardens. Acacia accounts for 94% of Australias forested middle story vegetation. lol could you see the AU people letting that happen...lol

Big business will never totally own the food market, it is impossible. Dosen't mean they won't try, bydestroying our environment. They can do some real damage if people don't start taking a stand against it soon.
edit on 4/18/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
To be honest, it is in the
fishermans best interests
to play on how bad or isn't
it really is.. BP has been out billions
and they deserve to be.. These fisherman
deserve compensation, that is what this really
is about.. Getting 2 years free pay is great 3 would be
better 4-5 man get ready to retire..

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Very Interesting indeed. I wonder where all that cat food is ending up. Britiain, Scotland???
Wonder if its causing the "robot" disease cats are getting. Stiff legs and tails. Getting stuck in corners and cant turn around and its baffling vets. Robot Cat Disease Link

Another excellent and informative thread for the masses loam, thanks for bring it back to the forefront of everyones mind. I agree with the majority that you should ask where your seafood is coming from whether it be a store or restaurant!!

And about Al-Jezeera reporting this. Im glad to see SOMEONE that is reporting like the US news systems used to waaaaay back in the day!!! Al-Jezeera, RT and a couple others are the only ones i see not covering their front pages with whitney houstons and dick clarks death and who is porking lindsey lohan these days.

My .02¢

Silver

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thank God for big oil....They show record quarterly profits, our pocketbooks are drained, and the precious food chain is in extreme danger....The Seven sisters should be proud

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

You took the words out of my mouth! Just what IS aljazeera doing over here? I think that this might be just as pertinent a question as the subject matter....

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This alone costed Obama my vote. It's disgusting this wasn't handled better and it's downright degrading the way the government denies this nightmare for various species.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
To be honest, it is in the
fishermans best interests
to play on how bad or isn't
it really is.. BP has been out billions
and they deserve to be.. These fisherman
deserve compensation, that is what this really
is about.. Getting 2 years free pay is great 3 would be
better 4-5 man get ready to retire..

Why not get paid compensation? These fisherman, some go back through generations after generations. If someone destroyed your livelyhood, maliciously or not, wouldn't you want compensation? I know I would. At least compensate for the years they won't be able to fish. Most of these people are just like everybody else. They use this livelyhood to pay for their mortgage, and whatnot. If you can't earn money, you can't pay your mortgage, or dock fees, or pay off the boat. That's more out of home, unemployed. So they shouldn't get compensated for any of that? No, they should. It's that simple.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You guys remember how we cleaned up that spill with mushrooms?

Source

For more than a decade, mycologist and inventor Paul Stamets has known that mushrooms eat oil. There were still a few kinks to work out; bringing the technology to scale and winning the acceptance of government agencies were two of the most challenging. Yet the basic science was solid and had been replicated many times by other scientists.

oh ya..we didn't do that

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
This alone costed Obama my vote. It's disgusting this wasn't handled better and it's downright degrading the way the government denies this nightmare for various species.

and lets not forget the fake footage of
the POSUS [not a mistype]
and his brats "swimming in the GOM"
to show us all how safe it was

all of these psychopaths should be sealed up into empty oil barrels
and then have those barrels filled up with oil
after having been forced to eat all that bad shrimp and seafood for a year or 2

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Haven't you been paying attention? Hillary Clinton Says "Al Jazeera is putting American media to shame" calls it "real news". I understand she is also fond of Chinese and Russian state TV as she says this "The Chinese have opened up a global English language and multi-language television network, the Russians have opened up an English language network. I've seen it in a couple of countries and it's quite instructive."

BTW, I wouldn't eat any of it either.

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Thanks for the schooling!!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
S+F. I suspect it will be years before anyone starts admitting these problems because bureaucrats love red tape. The Independent scientists will also be a bit slow since the majority of them wont say anything until they are done with their tests and get results.
With that said, it is going to get much worse. All those chemicals in the water will have an unknown effect on sea life. Especially the newborn and unborn creatures since young and still growing creatures are most susceptible to chemicals. Chemicals that can interfere with certain pathways in cells that lead to deformities.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
its times like this thats im acctualy glad that im alergic to shell fish wont eat no sea food now went too many times to a restraunt and order flounder or something and have alergic reactions cuse they store it with shell fish and such. just 1 little touch and im in the hospital ... kinda sucks
edit on 18-4-2012 by stormy01399 because: added on forgot what i was going to type though lol

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Between Fukushima and the gulf oil spill, I increasingly find it hard to eat seafood. The top predators, like tuna, are sure to be loaded with whatever toxin is prevalent. Bottom feeders like shrimp are probably loaded with corexit. I would say if you are going to eat fish at this point, eat sardines. Its a shame because I remember as a kid on the gulf coast, the seafood was fantastic and you could eat it without any reservations. Thats all gone now, thanks to greed.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

First oil in the Gulf, then Fukushima in the pacific. Is Alaskan seafood still safe?

How can an average consumer even know the origin of the seafood that ends up their local supermarket or fish market? To put any faith in the labels and signs, you would have to trust the store and all of their suppliers. I think that's expecting too much in today's world.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The oil was not soaked up or wiped away, but sunk to the bottom...out of site out of mind...and remember the reporters and journalists turned back away from the beaches by armed security guards? What this government did and allowed to be done was purely criminal!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yah, bummer. Oil.

Number of oil rigs in Gulf of Mexico

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Louisianan here. Been fishing in the Gulf many times in the last year. While I have no doubt that there are some lingering effects, I've only seen thriving life. Dolphins are out and about. Birds are everywhere. Fish are plentiful and they taste great and I'm perfectly healthy.
Al Jazeera may just be slanted on this one. Maybe.
Nor sure where all the Gulf shrimp with eyes are coming from. At normal prices. In every grocery store, seafood shop, and direct sales outlet (Bayou Signette, anyone!) in South Louisiana.
Oysters are still pricier than pre-spill. But that is to be expected.

I know plenty of fishermen, I fish myself, and this is the first time I've heard anything close to this story. This story is alarmist claptrap.

I'm the last person to trust the government and corporations, believe me. I hate BP. Always will. But this is propaganda.
edit on 18-4-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join