It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Vegetarians Return to Eating Meat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Yes - I am a pescatarian - Most people do not know what that is - at restaurants I say I an Vegan which is better understand by Chefs
Whats your point

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

My bad..I can admit when I make a mistake.. it was Shirak who made the comment not you..you just responded with the Indian/Hinduism perspective of the two.
I only showed the statistical information to put your comment into a global perspective that it was a small group...If that is your belief system all the power to you and I apologize if you felt it was an attack on your beliefs.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

This was my comment and a silly joke obviously nothing personal - sorry if I offended you
"I am a strict vegetarian also
If one of my plants steps out of line there is hell to pay"

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

What was the point of manipulating my post in your quote?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
reply to post by artistpoet

What was the point of manipulating my post in your quote?

See above for explanation

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
He he he some fiery responses to this thread... One of the problems I see is that there is no one size fits all for humans like "humans are not meant to eat meat" etc. there are many different body types in humans and you need to use your intuition and listen to your body. I became a vegan not for ethical reasons but for health and spiritual reasons. Some people can become and remain vegetarians with no problems others cannot.

First I got sick and could not seem to get completely well so on the advice of a friend I tried veganism and I was able to get well again. And I never got sick while being a vegan and felt really good at first. Eventually though I began to notice some memory loss and weakness. I never really craved meat and tried to be careful that I got a balance of protein. The problem is that veggies are not a complete protein like meat that are missing some of the amino acids etc. However now I realize I got well because it allowed my body to detox from all the hormone and chemical laden meats and foods not just because I was a vegan.

When I went back on meat my memory returned to normal and my strength. I have since discovered sprouted grains breads which are a complete protein I would recommend to any vegetarian of vegan to add them to your diet to ensure you are getting the right proteins and of course to anyone period they are far more healthy then even the whole grain breads which still turn to sugar in the body. Still for me I have to eat a lot of sprouted grains bread to get enough protein and so often felt hungry if I did not eat some meat.

There are studies that have come out that say heart disease is not caused by saturated fats/cholesterol etc. chriskresser.com... that myth has been dispatched however it takes time for it to become mainstream.

Still I eat about 95% clean I eat grass fed beef free range poultry and fresh caught fish mostly for meats and organic fruits and veggies with sprouted grains bread. And feel great. Funny though i had not been sick for a long time and I ate a bunch of sugary stuff like cookies ice cream candies etc. and I got sick for the first time in years. Processed sugar and white carbs is the devil and I am eating veggie for now and elderberry tincture and organic apple cider vinegar and it is almost gone now.

I think the liver is overworked trying to detoxify the body of all the chemical laden foods in the food supply and this is why we have all these ailments obesity etc. eat organic. Raw organic milk cheese and butter is some of the healthiest things you can eat all sorts of healing properties. Homogenized milk is one of the worst things you can eat homogenization kills all the good properties.

edit on 17-4-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I'm not judging here, but humans actually aren't meant to eat meat and it is shown to encourage cancer growth, not to mention the effects red meat and animal fat have on blood pressure, cholesterol and the human heart. It's your bodies though and your choice on what you eat.

Thank you, Kali.

There are also many articles linking meat consumption with violence & anger.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZsunshine

Originally posted by Kali74
I'm not judging here, but humans actually aren't meant to eat meat and it is shown to encourage cancer growth, not to mention the effects red meat and animal fat have on blood pressure, cholesterol and the human heart. It's your bodies though and your choice on what you eat.

Thank you, Kali.

Unfortunately there is no distinction from hormone grain fed chemical laden raised in their own feces meat that most people eat and organic grass fed free range meat poultry and fish so any conclusions based on this that all meat is bad is faulty reasoning.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree with you 100% here. The industrial farming is completely out of control and not only is horrible for human consumption, insanely cruel to animals but it's also terrible for farmers and ranchers that can't afford to keep up with industry. It would be like the whole Ford corporation compared to an auto-body shop. Get real food, whatever you eat.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I can only speak for myself.

The longest I was vegetarians was 2 years.

My blood test came back, even though I faithfully followed a vegetarian diet with low protein levels.

My doctor said to try to eat some meat.

So, I found a farm in my state that is free range, we went there to inspect how the chickens and turkeys are treated and they are indeed free range with a heated roomy clean house.

They are fed organic food and given no growth hormones.

I have also gone back to wild salmon, some cheese and egg beaters.

But, I try to limit my meat intake to about 3 ounces 2-3 times a week and my blood tests are good.

Now, I also have oatmeal /pumkin pie filling for breakfast (yum) and take 4-6 Omega Fish Oil gel caps, 2-3 in the AM and 2-3 in the PM.

My cholesterol and LDL levels have both dropped dramatically and are now in the healthy range and increasing my Vitamin C chewables has made a difference in my energy level.

Hope this is helpful.

And yes I feel bad that we have to kill animals to get protein but my doctor says for my body type I need some animal protein. The people I buy chicken and turkey from assure me that the chickens and turkeys are killed humanely..........I know that still doesn't seem like a happy thing to me.

Instead of eggs I do egg beaters with fresh spinach or asparagus.

Now, I came from a farm and at 12 they took me out back to show me how to kill a chicken. They tell me they did the first one and I fainted and went catatonic for 2-3 days. I don't remember anything but walking to the back of the killing pen, nothing after that for a couple days.

If TSHTF - I don't know honestly if I could kill a animal for food.

Before each meal, I bless and thank the animal that gave it's life for my meal.

But yes, I flip flop back and forth on trying to go vegetarian and my health suffers each time. When I do eat some animal protein, I have more energy, gain less weight, my body does not handle carbs well.

Everyone is different.

I won't eat cows, sheep, pig or baby animals. Cheese is my weakness, love cheese. Milk from stores gross me out because the milk in stores tastes nothing like the milk we got from our cows on the farm.

The berries, tomatoes, squash, corn, none of the fruits and veggies you get in the store taste like what I grew up on.

And yes I love and eat a lot of wild rice and beans.
edit on 17-4-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
In the 21st century this seems like an old debate. Vegetarians praise their food choices, and Corpsearians advocate the pleasure of eating corpses, and seldom the twain actually meet. As a long time vegetarian I know for a fact I'd never start chewing on dead flesh again, and although it's my choice and I seldom hassle anyone else about theirs, I am surprised by how many meateaters resent my diet.

As to the point of the thread, people reverting to eating "meat" again, in my experience and knowing the vegetarians I know, only one reversed course, and that's because she was pregnant and may have been given bad advice by her doctor. Besides her, and I literally know, on quick estimate, over 100 vegetarians, they all love their food and I doubt if many have even thought of going back. As was said earlier in the thread, this may be more propaganda from the "meat" industry, which hires some of the best PR people around and packs tasty and addictive seasonings into their "food" to keep people coming back for more crust, salt, and the other substances which are used in "meat" to gotcha. .
edit on 17-4-2012 by Aleister because: spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZsunshine

This is true. Mind you, it's not necessarily true of all animal products. If I eat red meat, I'm going to notice an increase in anger, aggression, and my sex drive. I can eat 3-6 (organic, free range) eggs a day, on the other hand, and not experience those symptoms, or at least to nowhere near the same degree.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
BAAAAAAACOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

no more need be said.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
I kill vegetables
I have my own little organic herd
I nurture them and talk to them
Occasionally sing the odd ditty to them on Sunny days
They respond bearing their bounty
They see me as a good shepherd they are my sheep
protecting them from monsters or slugs to be more precise
They live a jolly care free life never knowing that when the day comes I will betray their trust
They never see it coming my scythe is swift

edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

The inhumane actions of vegetarians astounds me. Why do they not respect the sanctity of plant life?
Why do they despise vegetables so much that they will slaughter and eat them?
The shame.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered protein powder as an alternative source for your complete protein? I understand where your coming from about how hard it is to fulfil your complete protein needs on a strict vegan or vegetarian diet, though it is possible (a matter of mixing the right combination of seeds and grains etc). But these days it's really not that expensive to buy good quality protein powder in large bulk. I personally prefer the whey protein isolate, but you can go the pea & rice protein isolate route, or even hemp protein... these are just a bit more expensive.

As for iron and other nutritional needs, there are plenty of supplements and multivitamin products that will get you through the day feeling nice and healthy.

Not saying your doing wrong by eating meat, but if you did really want to turn to a full vegetarian diet it is possible to do so and still be healthy. Just have to make sure you cover all your bases.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Invest in a juicer, ive been a vegetarian for 13 yrs and a few months ago bought a juicer and did the reboot juice thing after seeing "Fat,Sick and nearly dead" documentary, i figured a little extra vitamins from juicing would help..and boy did it! I make a few juices each morning and sip on them throughout the day and i feel less hungry because my body is absorbing the straight punch of vitamins and not having to break down the solid fruits and veggies.

IMO most vegetarians and vegans return to eating meat because they didnt really invest alot of time in seeking out good tasting/good for you/vitamin enriched meat free foods. Ive known MANY vegetarians who would eat a McDonalds salad and fries for lunch and dinner and wondered why they felt like crap. Being dedicated to eating healthy and balancing your intake of everything is the key weather you eat meat or not. just my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

As was said earlier in the thread, this may be more propaganda from the "meat" industry, which hires some of the best PR people around and packs tasty and addictive seasonings into their "food" to keep people coming back for more crust, salt, and the other substances which are used in "meat" to gotcha. .

Read the whole article It's not propaganda from from the "meat industry". It is promoting organic free range clean meats which the "meat industry" would like to stamp out if they could as they see that cutting into their market as more people become educated. This is the problem with some vegetarians they see all meats as the same which is simply not true.

edit on 17-4-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Will look into it, u2u me what you use as I have tried this before to no avail as well as juicing.

Would like to go back to vegetarian.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

And yes you are also right, plants have consciousness.

Watch the movie, "The Happening"...............yes all life has consciousness.

I have felt this truth.

What do we live on?

Air?

And is air conscious?

It goes on and on and on...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Does anyone wonder if there's a potential here for some sort of placebo effect happening

I wonder if people do become convinced that they need meat, and therefore because they aren't having it they mentally trick themselves into a state of unhealthiness. And on the opposite end of the spectrum because some vegetarians believe they're getting everything healthwise from their diet, they remain healthy. Could it be that peoples mental state overcomes their physical, either in full or to a degree

Is that possible or am I way off?

Because I don't buy this addiction argument. I know plenty of ex-vegetarians who are no longer vegetarians, and they're usually individuals who eat only fish, or at worst eat chicken. If it is a matter of addiction then how are they able to pass up on beef, bacon etc? Which are much tastier "real" meats

And if that was it then wouldn't you expect there to be undercover meat eaters. Where is the addict behaviour of trying to hide the addiction and keep it from people? Why are all ex-vegetarians public with their "addiction", shouldn't they be hiding beef burgers under the sink and what not.

What i feel is the case is that there's 2 factors, some people really are physically different and it's harder and easier for some people physically to give it up, and i also think mentally people can trick themselves into thinking they need what they don't. There's that nagging self doubt that people who are vegetarians have, whenever they have an illness or don't feel well they have a tendency to be paranoid and think it's because of their diet, mainly because vegetarian diets are seen as not always healthy

im tired

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join