It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Vegetarians Return to Eating Meat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I don't expect anyone to believe me I guess you missed the part where I said I wasn't judging and your body your choice. I read some science about how we're not meant to eat meat, it makes sense to me, nothing more to it than that.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I can appreciate moderation as a viable balanced approach to one's diet...but to clarify for others, the article recommends Poultry and Fish instead of Red meat (especially processed meats)...so the article isn't a Go Vegetarian piece;

Based on these findings, the researchers estimate that substituting one daily serving of red meat with fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, whole grains, or low-fat dairy products would reduce the risk........

"Our message is to try to reduce the red meat consumption to less than two to three servings per week," says lead author An Pan, Ph.D., a research fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health, in Boston.

"We don't want everyone to be a vegetarian," Pan says, though he adds that avoiding processed red meat altogether may be a good idea. "It's better to go with unprocessed products and plant-based foods."

edit on 17-4-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: formatting of quote

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i do know one thing specific to myself...when I eat any type of fruit or vegetable, i crap out partially and often undigested food...the only evidence of processing being me having chewed on it or cut it into pieces.

if my wife, who is from the far east, does not have rice...she becomes weak, and irritable...

i think that a person who experimented with a vegetarian lifestyle and then return to an omnivorous lifestyle they do so because for them specifically it is needed...

for people who 'allege' that they are vegetarians and say they are just fine...it is so because it is suitable for them.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

So no sources for your claims?

I'm aware of that thread as I participated in it...I ask the same questions here as I did there because the article used to start that thread also recommend the consumption of Poultry and Fish even though she would have you believe that it was in favor of a vegetarian diet. All I ask is that before you make generalizations or perpetuate falsehoods you do some research/critical thinking of your own.

To be clear I'm not against those that live a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle it's their choice but I am against the continuous attack on meat eaters from them without any real facts or science to back up their claims.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

I'm not attacking anyone lol. I cook chicken and fish for my son and I used to cook red meat for his father, what a person eats is an individual choice it's not for me to say, I was just giving my perspective which does not require sources. Take it or leave it.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I kill vegetables
I have my own little organic herd
I nurture them and talk to them
Occasionally sing the odd ditty to them on Sunny days
They respond bearing their bounty
They see me as a good shepherd they are my sheep
protecting them from monsters or slugs to be more precise
They live a jolly care free life never knowing that when the day comes I will betray their trust
They never see it coming my scythe is swift

edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
Although both Asian and Indian diets consist of a lot of vegetables and fruits, they are not vegetarians as they also consume a lot of Fish, Poultry and Pork...Indians don't consume Beef for religious reasons..but Asians do.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Your speaking of the general population, but there are large parts of the Indian population, as well as populations all around the world that are strict devotees of Gaudiya Vaishnavism (The Krishna Consciousness Movement), in which all follow a strict lacto vegetarian diet.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

(The Krishna Consciousness Movement), in which all follow a strict lacto vegetarian diet.

I am a strict vegetarian also
If one of my plants steps out of line there is hell to pay

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My 16 year old daughter has been a pescatarian for close to a year and I have noticed she has been getting more severe allergy attacks during this time frame than ever before.

I spoke to her about it but you know how these teenagers respond.

Hope she reverts back soon.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

It's okay, you need not lose any sleep over it. Your plants, though alive, are clearly not intelligent, sentient lifeforms that are consciously aware of their surroundings. They do not feel, love or hate. They just are. And they will continue to be. So sleep well tonight.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

It's okay, you need not lose any sleep over it. Your plants, though alive, are clearly not intelligent, sentient lifeforms that are consciously aware of their surroundings. They do not feel, love or hate. They just are. And they will continue to be. So sleep well tonight.

Thank you for your reassurance - does any of the above apply to animals though.
You know things like:-
......" sentient lifeforms that are consciously aware of their surroundings ......"
?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

To put your reply post into context amongst the global population Hinduism ranks fourth after Christianity, Islam and No Religion...and is seeing a decline in it's growth;

Trends in annual growth of adherence 1970–1985 2.34%: 1990–2000 1.69% 2000–2005 1.57%

Source:en.wikipedia.org...

Are you retracting your original statement about Asian diet?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
My 16 year old daughter has been a pescatarian for close to a year and I have noticed she has been getting more severe allergy attacks during this time frame than ever before.

I am pescatarian also - I know many - None have any such issues you mention though it takes time for the body to re adjust to new diets

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

i'd like that question answered...another is:

why are humans the only animal on the planet that has to feel bad for eating other animals.

when you sit their watching an nature show and some big cat from Africa is licking the freshly shed blood from its chops...you have to ask yourself...doesn't it feel bad about what it just did. why not?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I think the problem is when vegetarians do something which works for them, and then make the assumption that what they are doing will work for everyone else. It won't, because we're different.

I personally need meat. If I go for an extended period without eating it, I end up with no energy at all, (literally hardly being able to move) as well as my memory and ability to concentrate vanishing. I've been through periods at times where I couldn't remember a thought I'd had five minutes earlier. It's horrifying.

As much as I need meat, however, I also can't eat it more than twice a week at the most. If I do, I become bad tempered, (well, more than usual, lol) and develop constipation and intestinal issues.

Moderation for me is the key, and making sure that the meat I do eat, is good quality.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

Believe me, any sudden increase in your daughters vulnerability to allergies, comes not from the decision to follow a pescatarian diet. There might be a particular food item within her new diet that she does not react well to, or perhaps she's not feeding herself enough or too much of something else.... but anyone should be able to follow a vegetarian and especially a pescatarian diet and fulfil their dietary needs.

If you think it's lack of protein that is causing her problems, recommend her to buy bulk whey protein powder online. A few scoops a day and that's all her protein needs attended to. Same goes for multivitamins if you think she needs it.
edit on 17/4/12 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Thank you for your reassurance - does any of the above apply to animals though.
You know things like:-
......" sentient lifeforms that are consciously aware of their surroundings ......"
?

In my experience as an animal lover, one who has kept and observed all sorts of creatures his whole life, and as one whose current profession is a wildlife keeper at a zoo... I'd say absolutely not. But you see, people generally don't like to notice those traits in the things they eat. Helps them sleep at night.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

i'd like that question answered...another is:

why are humans the only animal on the planet that has to feel bad for eating other animals.

when you sit their watching an nature show and some big cat from Africa is licking the freshly shed blood from its chops...you have to ask yourself...doesn't it feel bad about what it just did. why not?

Good point - I don't feel bad eating say fish which I would catch myself and have
However I would feel bad killing an animal but that is just me
I do not feel bad if another kills and eats an animal - only for the animal.
But thats just me and I do not judge another who eats meat i have no right to
People could try make me feel bad for eating fish
Or eating fruits vegetables
Don't allow others to make you feel bad but if you feel bad don't do it
My prior remarks were just my silly sense of ironic humour and not aimed at any here.
Now I feel bad

edit on 17-4-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I like how you manipulated my post to make it appear that I said I'm for lacto vegetarian...jokes!

I also find it curious/amusing that in this thread you say you are a "strict vegetarian" but in another thread (Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over) quoted below, you say that you are neither vegan or vegetarian and that you eat fish;

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by maestromason

...and to expound on what you are saying....people grow up on one diet and as adults change them and who knows what the change in diet is doing or has already done?

I like yourself grew up a tall stick but when I left my mother's house and her kitchen along with very well-balanced and wholesome feedings I blew up like a balloon! Now I am no longer the stick at 6' 2 1/2" @ 275lbs(muscular).

As one ages your metabolism slow down, the body's ability to break down waste becomes less efficient hence the need for supplements and vitamins, cellular structure decays, bone mass decreases and susceptibility to ailments increases, mental acuity lessens, ect and strictly eating vegetables is not going to fix all of this....if anything it would harm the elderly decaying body.

The only thing that can rejuvenate all of this would be either the Philosopher's Stone or a time machine and I have yet to know of anyone who has discovered either one of them.

Cells cycle and die for a reason.

edit on 21-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

I am not a Vegan or a vegetarian my diet is fish vegetables grains fruits etc
I do know many people who also have this diet and all are fit and well and vary in age
But I do understand what you are saying - our bodys slow down in a way as we get older.
A balanced diet goes a long way as your Mom's cooking shows

As for the Philosophers stone or time machine let me know if you find them - Am willing to give them a whirl

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

To put your reply post into context amongst the global population Hinduism ranks fourth after Christianity, Islam and No Religion...and is seeing a decline in it's growth;

Trends in annual growth of adherence 1970–1985 2.34%: 1990–2000 1.69% 2000–2005 1.57%

Source:en.wikipedia.org...

Are you retracting your original statement about Asian diet?

First of all, I wasn't the one who made those statements about Indians and Asians. I was just showing that the original poster of those statements had a point, if incorrectly stated.

Second, I don't see the point your trying to make offering those statistics. Are you insinuating that the decline is due to their vegetarian diet being insufficient?

edit on 17/4/12 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join