It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Vegetarians Return to Eating Meat

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by Furbs

I have absolutely no interest in digging through multiple several hundred page books hunting for quotes. I have given you the tools to do your own research, and I suggest you do. Either you can live in a world of ignorance, or you can read a few books, one of which was taken from a study involving 65 entire counties in China.

Didn't think so...That's because its not there but you like to talk a lot of crap and act like you read the studies etc, and have all the facts etc. when in fact you haven't got crap except what runs out of your mouth incessantly

This is the point that I dip out of the thread, since it is no longer about the topic, and has now become about beating up on me personally. Good luck with your search for knowledge, friend. I would suggest again that you read the books for yourself.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
There is a section in the documentary "Fat Head" that talks about the flaws of a vegan diet, for example, some people become ill and get depressed while on a vegan diet, which seems to be caused by the deficiency of the good fats that are in meat, that you stopped getting once you made your lifestyle change.

I'd suggest with any diet, making a conscious effort to supplement any necessary nutrients that you may be depriving yourself of after modifying your diet.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Is2012TheEnd
There is a section in the documentary "Fat Head" that talks about the flaws of a vegan diet, for example, some people become ill and get depressed while on a vegan diet, which seems to be caused by the deficiency of the good fats that are in meat, that you stopped getting once you made your lifestyle change.

I'd suggest with any diet, making a conscious effort to supplement any necessary nutrients that you may be depriving yourself of after modifying your diet.

'Good' fats in meat is misleading, because there are no fats in meat that are not available in other food.

Again the only difference is meat has all the amino acids, and most other foods don't. That is why you have to eat the correct combination of vegan foods to get all the amino acids, that is why people get sick.

The major difference is meat contains fats that are not needed, whereas vegan foods only have the 'good' fats.

You have all been taught wrong simply because selling you meat makes more profit than selling you grains and rice etc.

edit on 4/24/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

you can get all the amino acids from goats milk if you are a vegetarian. Goats milk is even better for you as it is the closest to our mothers milk as you can get. It has short fatty acids chains rather than the long fatty acids chains that you get from cows.
edit on 24-4-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Indeed, the first time I was a veggie I did so. Now I haven't eaten meat 11 years ago and fish 10 years ago. Since I eat well now I am ok. But in the first period I lived of pasta for 99 percent. So now wonder I started munching on mjy mum's fried calamari
After 5 years I remembered why I had been veg in the first place.
Nowadays I can live almost vegan for long stretches of time.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Strangely enough, when I crave meat it's always beef... I have never given in. So I wonder what's in beef? I mean the idea of eating pork or chicken makes me dry heave.

EDIT: yet when I think of a beef product, say a burger after a while I have this image of meat and crawling maggots. I never have these fantasies with veg, even though when they rot it's nasty. It's those maggots. Most terrible sight ever!
edit on 5-5-2012 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This may all be coincidence...but I just started incorporating meat back into my diet after being veg for about four years. And in the couple of months since....I've been sick twice. Horrible raging sinus & respiratory infections, bordering pneumonia.

Still in the throes of the second bout right now. Could it be that I've somehow disrupted my immune system?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is hogwash.... only those with weak morals return to eating meat.

I have also been a vegetarian for nearly 5 years now, one reason being the health issues associated with meat -- yet the strongest reason for my lifestyle choice was love.

This only happened after a loved one of mine was in a fatal accident... when I saw him laying dead, meat dangling off of his body, it dawned on me exactly what was happening to the animals that we partake in.

From there, it led me to question what exactly WAS going on behind the scenes that we weren't even aware of... which spawned my choice.

Will I ever return to eating meat? VERY unlikely. Simply because this choice is based on a traumatic incident that occurred in my life, and that soul-shattering memory will forever haunt me..

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isabelx

This is assuming that it is a moral choice for everyone, which it isn't.

As stated, I have been a dietary vegan for about 2 decades, and it has nothing to do with morality. I wear leather. I use wood glue made from animal parts.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

As stated, I have been a dietary vegan for about 2 decades, and it has nothing to do with morality. I wear leather. I use wood glue made from animal parts.

And that's something that I can't quite wrap my head around; how can one become a vegetarian or even vegan, knowing full well the suffering that the meat industry is responsible for; and NOT feel some sense of moral repulsion to it?

It seems to be a classic case of head-heart conflict.. or should we say, apathy.
Knowing the repercussions of something, but not even caring about it in the end.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

And that's something that I can't quite wrap my head around; how can one become a vegetarian or even vegan, knowing full well the suffering that the meat industry is responsible for; and NOT feel some sense of moral repulsion to it?

It seems to be a classic case of head-heart conflict.. or should we say, apathy.
Knowing the repercussions of something, but not even caring about it in the end.

I am staunchly non-supportive of the meat industry on moral grounds, but I do not morally object to eating meat. There is ethically grown and slaughtered meat facilities if someone is interested in finding them.

Most meat animals are not self aware, however some are. I -do- have a moral indignation to eating octopus, bushmeat, or pork, for example, because they are of a cognitive level to understand certain aspects of their existence that things like bovine and poultry just do not have.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Furbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

That's an interesting take, Furbs.. but that then begs the question; where do you draw the line on self-awareness in any creature? How are any of us to know, without a doubt, which creature is aware and which isnt?

There are some who would claim cows, sheep, pigs have no awareness.... but have you heard their cries for mercy once they realize they're being led to their own slaughtering? These animals cry for their babies being killed in front of them, watching their mother's throat being slit, and all the while.. even those who are doing the slaughtering will still claim that its all humane..

No unnecessary killing is humane..

I almost feel embarrassed to admit this, but I even tremble when I have to kill a fly, because even though basic science says that the twitching they do upon being killed is all electrical (nerve impulse) -- there's still a little voice within me that asks "...and what if its not?"

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I was a vegetarian for two years. Morally, I knew that eating meat was wrong, but my body objected to the hardship I was putting it through terribly.

I suffer from several different mental disorders and the diet the vegetarianism was causing stress and a lack of nutrients in my body. I simply couldn't afford to pay for all of the supplements I would have needed to make up for not eating meat.

I can't speak for the majority of ex-vegetarians out there, but I was literally killing myself on the diet. My Psychiatrist and doctor told me to never go vegetarian again.

I understand being a vegetarian intellectually, but don't believe most people can cope with that kind of change in lifestyle.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

That's an interesting take, Furbs.. but that then begs the question; where do you draw the line on self-awareness in any creature? How are any of us to know, without a doubt, which creature is aware and which isn't?

This is the standard.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are some who would claim cows, sheep, pigs have no awareness.... but have you heard their cries for mercy once they realize they're being led to their own slaughtering? These animals cry for their babies being killed in front of them, watching their mother's throat being slit, and all the while.. even those who are doing the slaughtering will still claim that its all humane..

As already stated, pigs have self awareness. They have social structures and friends. Cows and sheep do not. Cows do not recognize themselves in a mirror, and there isn't any evidence that I am aware of that suggests they are able to recognize their offspring after their initial mothering phase.

No unnecessary killing is humane..

I almost feel embarrassed to admit this, but I even tremble when I have to kill a fly, because even though basic science says that the twitching they do upon being killed is all electrical (nerve impulse) -- there's still a little voice within me that asks "...and what if its not?"

Your fears, while they are valid, are not rational. Where does your morality over taking life end? What do you eat? Harvested fruits and nuts? You certainly do not eat any vegetables that require the killing of the plant.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join