It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is suicide a human right?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I mean suicide is usually a permanent solution to temporary problems. We are only going to be here but for so long and as screwed and twisted as life may seem you might as well just see what happens. You'll have an eternity to be dead and will only be alive for but 50-100 years or less. So even though life seems like forever and I know for me I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere with the rising cost of living and the declining crap salaries. Minimum wage is a joke and should be no less than $20 an hour, but it goes to show how we are just modern day slaves. So keep playing with your iPhones and iPads and OBEY. Keep your damn mouth shut and give what little you have left to the elites. Have a nice day

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

Interesting question...

I would say yes and no. For me the issue I see is if the person wanting to exit stage left is of a stable mindset. By that I dont mean wanting to end their life. I think before it occurs the person in question should be checked just to ensure there is no mental defect. Meaning they are of sound mind and judgement as opposed to chemical imbalance, pyschotic break, having the mental capaicty to make an informed decision etc etc etc.

On the flip side of the coin the general argument is a person who wants to die is considered to have a mental issue based solely on the decision to die and nothing else.

We need to take into account medicatio / drugs - legal or illegal.
Did a major traumatic event occur and if so is the impact temporary that will heal over time or permanent.

The situation reminds me of the abortion arguments. A person who seeks an abortion is counseled prior to just to make sure the decision is thought out and understood and not a spur of the moment.

Ignoring all else, it is a person and its there life.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I believe it is a human right to commit suicide but I also think it's our responsibility to try and stop people from doing it because it may well have very horrible consequences in the after-life.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

ok so now I know. what next? talk about Stockholm Syndrome? this is way beyond that
guess there really IS no justice or meaning to life

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
When you look at what the list of what the actual Human Rights are:
www.un.org...
it is obvious that suicide is not a human right,
Article 1.
•All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
When someone commits suicide the impact to follow is devastating for both the individual and the people that are left to live with it. These individuals lack the ability to reason, are without conscience, and suicide does not reflect the spirit of brotherhood. By definition alone it is obvious.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

There is no doubt in my mind that every adult should be entitled to end his/her own life, if they want to. Is it somebody elses place to say 'No, you must continue to live and suffer'?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is a tricky question to answer.

When I was 10 years old, my Dad commited suicide. I believe it was because he couldnt get over the death of his mother and was depressed. He was also going through a marrage break down and I believe he thought he was losing his family as well.

Obviously I wish more than anything he was still alive today. The grief he has caused me and my sister is terrible. As we were children when this happened we never understood what was going on. Now as an adult I think I can understand why he did what he thought was his only solution to end his depression.

I dont know how to answer this question, it is much more complicated and personal than you think. I dont hate my Dad for killing himself, but I wish he hadnt have done it. It was his choice in the end and I guess it was his right.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
They should definitely set up some suicide booths like on futurama.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There can be times in a persons life when they forget that there is a sufficiency of help from spiritual assists to get through any personal crisis. Sometimes our sadness can be so deep we simply don't wish to continue. Sometimes our pain can be so immediately demanding that no other awareness can come about. Sometimes our hurt can seem unbearable. So, yes, because sometimes we forget, and as part of our freedom we are provided an out by the One Who loves us most.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by apsalmist

Sadly you do speak the truth.
Their justification for this act is judged on the intentions in their heart.
These people have lost the light inside them and have forgotten where to find it.

PLPL
edit on 15-4-2012 by Minori because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I've had 2 friends commit suicide, the first I had no respect for as he hung himself in his parent's garden so they woke up to it. He was young and it was over a girl.
The second I have complete respect for as he had suffered for years with mental torment and had plenty of time to think about it and did it somewhere where it wasn't going to burn a massive hole in anyone else's life.
Human right or not, people will still do it and you can't exactly punish the dead anyway.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I think yes it is, because if someone really wants to commit suicide you aren't going to stop them with any rule of law. As long as they aren't hurting someone other than themselves, I don't think there is anything that can be done about it or should be.

It's a tragedy, but you can't force people to live in this world if they don't want to. Maybe concentrate more on finding ways to improve their situation and society/community becoming more empathic towards individuals.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
suicide shouldn't be illegal, but, well failed attempts should result in the person getting some counseling and such, hopefully talking out their problems and feelings will help make their life a little brighter.

and I don't believe that it's always wrong in a spiritual/religious sense.

If I am 70 years, old, my kids are grown and independant and well, I have no real obligations to anyone. and no social security, ira, or wealth in my house....
well, I think it would be perfectly acceptable for me to decide to go onto the next level of existence instead of hanging around here making my kids deplete their savings to ensure I have what I need. but I do think that there might be something with the spirit that it is done in that might be a little disasterous.
if you go out hating yourself, hating life, ect....well, I got a feeling that you might have problems if their is an existance after life, because you willingly did harm to yourself, your spirit, your being.

I once had a toothache, that was driving me nuts for months. finally, I went to a dentist and had it pulled out...
afterwards, I was meditating and this kind of came to me... that tooth was filled with atoms, protons, electrons, nuetrons, all doing their little revolving dance, just like our sun does it's dance around the center of our galaxy, just like our planet dances around our sun....
when I had that tooth pulled, could I have killed galaxies, or solar systems??
who knows, really....
but well, one should take such considerations cautiously, just in case???

and like I said, many times, just fiinding someone you trust who is willing to give you and ear and maybe offer a little advice will make the world seem brighter, heck, sometimes just a good's night sleep can do that!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We treat natural feelings the body goes through as diseases and ailments when they seems to be "out of line" than what our current biologists, psychologists and any other so called experts call "normal".

While I agree that death should be a right, I think we are cutting ourselves short by not realizing the true potential that our brains have.

Depression is a state of mind...
States of the mind are exactly that; they are a state of mind that a person believes has control over them, or that they have complete control over. I realized, actually with the help of ATS and it's wealth of information, that WE control and own our emotions beyond what anyone might currently believe. I think the placebo effect is amazing, especially if you can learn to trick yourself out of negative thought patterns.

It wasn't easy but I wanted my state of my to be in MY control and not in the control of an "expert", when I felt out of whack. For example,

I used to think I was hyperactive...so I started playing the drums.

I used to think I had depression...so I went outside more and picked up a few hobbies.

I used to think I was unhealthy...so I educated myself and changed my diet.

I used to think I had no friends...until I realized I made little to no effort trying to make any.

Bottom line is, people are born differently physically and mentally just life each unique snowflake that falls from the sky. Recognize and find an outlet for your unique traits.

I know for some people that this is easier said than done, but we are too quick to think that when our feelings don't manifest themselves correctly, we ourselves are out of options.

Suicide is like jumping of the bus before it meets it's destination. We're all going to get there eventually, might as well enjoy the scenery even if the road gets bumpy sometimes.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

They are not only hurting themselves but everyone around them.
That is why it is considered a selfish act.
All parties involved suffer.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Being a person who suffers from chronic pain, I often contemplate and think about this.

I personally think it is a human right.

But I am often guilt tripped by loved ones as they say these thoughts are very selfish and cowardly. That if I leave them it will hurt them. "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem".
But what about my hurts? No I am not terminal, but at the same time there is no cure to my pain, and my standard of living is dwindling fast. I am only 26 but I have been battling suicidal ideations and thoughts since I was 19. I am the one that has to live a crappy life so those in mine at the moment can stay happy?
I think THAT is selfish and cowardly, the fact that people want others to suffer for their pleasure only.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
As mentioned in this thread, it causes grief in others and that most likely means complications spiritually. It is our duty to prevent this.

When my cousin committed suicide I felt his spiritual presence, I felt that he was not unhappy but that he was 'experimenting' with something he shouldn't have when looking at it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I too believe it is a human right. I feel as though we are FORCED to be here. Or that's how I feel about myself anyway. If I get cancer, I'm not treating it. I've said to my best friend... if I get Alzheimer's to put me out. Etc, etc. And with that said, I will probably live to be 105.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Its a Universal Right.

Humans consciousness does not understand more then what he percieves and has been taught from birth. You live in a low dense, low vibrational frequency, we do not have the answers and right to tell souls what to do and what not to do with their God given Life.

~ Love is an art

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I survived a suicide attempt last january. I went to a drug rehab and while there withdrawing i tied a sheet around my neck and went with out O2 for almost 30 min.
Would I have done this if I wasnt withdrawing? Hell no but at that point I seen no other way.
I was brain dead and in a coma for a week after. I stayed in the hospital for a month.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join