It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is suicide a human right?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I know this is a topic of quite some controversy, therefore I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say. I'm a firm believer that we all have the right to end our lives if we feel it is our only option. I think certain people end their lives far too early, and for reasons that aren't always permanent. That being said, I defend an adult's right to end their lives if that is what they feel they must do.

I don't think suicide is usually an act of cowardice. People who call those who kill themselves from depression cowardly have clearly never experienced what excessive depression is like. It takes enormous amounts of courage to gain the strength to go against every instinctual urge you're programmed to have. I think every situation is circumstantial, therefore I won't say that all suicides aren't cowardly, nor will I say that all suicides aren't selfish.

The question I'm posing is this: is suicide a human right? I believe we're put on this earth without an option and we should be able to dictate when we leave it. Some will say that it is God's decision and not our own, and to that I say to each his own.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Skepticesque because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I believe suicide is a human right. It is there body to do what they want to it and no one should intervene with that. If, I was ever in a vegetative state, I would never want to live like that and should have the right to kill myself. Or in that case, have someone do it for me. I don't think it's anyone's business but the person's. Government should not be involved and neither should the family.
edit on 14-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Of course it should be... But by law it isn't and that's ludicrous.
Your life belongs to you not the government. At the end of the day, if you are there and ready to opt out, it should be your right to decide what becomes of you.

If you are depressed like I have been over the past 12 years and thought of suicide I suggest confiding in a close friend or trustworthy family member, it takes a load off, really.

Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

Yes, absolutely. I think our medical system, social support system and psychological support systems should be set up such that if someone is considering suicide, they will have a free place to go to discuss it without religious overtones (threats of hell) or anything else, no stigma to discuss it whatsoever, which there is now. Most suicidal thoughts are temporary, but the act obviously is not.

That said, yes we all have the right to leave this ummm... situation, whenever we want to. One never knows what another person is suffering through and mental agony can be every bit as bad as physical agony.

Be aware that your soul or spirit will survive the suicide and although you may be a bit confused for a while, you will get help on the other side also to deal with the transition and decide what to do from there. It's not like that Robin Williams movie where you end up in some dark awful place forever as a punishment. We all chose to be here and do an earth-life experience, and there's something to be learned from the time here. But the other places are actually a lot nicer... I'd also like to add to anyone contemplating suicide, that it's pretty amazing what a difference one day, or one hour, or one minute can make in your situation.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I am 24 and I have suffered from major depression from 5 years old, I know that sounds like bs but I assure you it isn't. I also have borderline personality disorder. I think about offing myself way too much, it really doesn't help when nothing ever goes your way or works out good for you in life. Killing yourself is the easy way out, even though if something doesn't work out for me within the next few years and I get stuck with all of this student loan debt without any hopes of a job, I'll pretty much have no choice anymore. I've called people who have killed themselves from depression cowards, half of them didn't even have it as bad as I do... Not everyone who does it is a coward. But if you do it because you're too weak to keep fighting, what are you? I fight this battle each and every day, it sucks, it really does, but you have to keep fighting - especially if you have children. I hate myself so much because I want to die and just have it all end already, I shouldn't feel that way, I have children that need me, that is me being selfish. Killing yourself from something like depression is a weakness, this is coming from a man who will never stop suffering from the condition. However, if you are terminal and suffering, and there's no chance of getting better, you should be able to make the decision, no reason to suffer if there is no hope anyway.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think everyone should have the right to commit suicide, especially euthanizing yourself.

I have an Uncle that has been in a nursing home for years. His wife put him in there after having a stroke that paralyzed the one side of his body. He has stated multiple times that he wanted to kill himself and wanted to die. Since then he has gotten bed sores that wouldn't heal, so he lost both legs. I think from sitting in a room in pain + the medication for so many years has made him lose his mind. It's really awful, he should have been able to euthanize himself years ago and not live a tortured life.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The law is irrelevant where suicide is concerned, because an individual cannot be penalised after they've committed the act.

According to my own definition of what a right is, suicide probably also couldn't be considered a right; because I define rights as things which an individual needs in order to maintain life. The entire purpose of suicide is to end life.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Is suicide a human right?

Absolutely.

We are told what we can and can not do from the day we're born. First it's parents, then teachers, bosses and the Govt. etc.

Suicide is the only right we have that is all ours and ours alone. No one should be able to have a say in whether or not we can decide our end on our own terms.

We are not property.

Peace

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's a basic human right. It's not like you're going to be arrested for killing yourself.

That said, I can't think of a good enough reason to where I'd personally want to do it. Sure I hate my life....doesn't mean I want to end it. Sometimes the pain you feel in life, whether physical or emotional, is what lets you know you're alive.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It all depends on how you look at death. Will heaven appear? The Fiery depths of hell? Matrix like room with a hunk of machinery plugged to your brain?

...or maybe nothing happens. Blackness. Done. The End. < If this is the case, than ending life early is not only stupid, but benefits TPTB.
edit on 14-4-2012 by holywar666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Well for the past 10,000 years or so in history generals, tyrants, chiefs, big historical political figures have done so for honor in death under submission to their enemy for embarrasment to their tribes, communities, and families.

I can understand, but with free will, we as a individual have that right! Yes, I believe that. its a choice that one has to make. now that Dr. korvorkian (spelling???) did this with payment from the client. I do think that's pushing the line......

What do you say on that question ATS'ers??

Huh, tough subject OP

Good luck, life is hard to those that stuggle, but we can always make it with the help and love of others..

I love you all

link   

I'm a firm believer that we all have the right to end our lives

Agreed.
There isn't much more to discuss. If I'm in so much pain and/or my quality of life is so poor that I can't even use the bathroom or enjoy anything anymore, it's my life and who are you to say that I have to remain in the realm of the living?

RIP Dr. Kevorkian
edit on 14-4-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

link   

It should be, or at least euthanasia should be legal. If you've ever seen someone with alzheimers disease so bad they don't know up from down, can't eat anymore and have to get a peg tube inserted into their stomachs to keep them alive until they dwindle down so far their hearts stop or their brain is swiss cheesed so bad their organs shut down.

Or someone who cannot move because they have MS or Lou Gherrig's Disease. Absolutely, euthanasia should be legalized imo. If you've never seen someone with one of these diseases get so bad that they beg for death and it does not come. Where's the mercy for these people? Jack Kevorkian was doing the right thing and doctors in ancient times if a person was dying and in pain with no chance of recovery they would mercy kill them as a kindness, rather than leave them to suffer a slow, agonizing death unless they were lucky enough to pass out and die while unconscius.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Human right. Of all the things I have no control over in my life, my death is something, should the need arise, that I can control. There are some cases where I do see suicide as "cheating" for lack of a better word. I myself have considered doing like the Eskimo people and walking out into the snow when the time comes and I am at the end of my days. . The sweetest thing my husband ever told me was that if I was suffering or a vegetable he would be willing to put a pillow over my head.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It is illegal to let an animal suffer. Why would we let our loved ones suffer needlessly?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Of course it is a human right. Any law restricting what a person can do to their own body (drugs, prostitution, suicide) is a human rights issue. Each human being is supposed to have the right to the pursuit of happiness (as long as it isn't physically stopping someone else's).

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If you're talking about self inflicted suicide, then it absolutely is a human right. There's no other option. It always baffled me that there are laws declaring suicide illegal. Assisted suicide is a different story.

I would condone assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness. Just as one can opt to not have extreme measures used to prolong life, I think one should also be allowed to end ones life in extreme cases. If my body were diseased to the point that I could no longer feed myself, bathe myself or perform any normal functions of self care and hygiene, I would rather end my life than prolong the misery.

I wouldn't condone assisted suicide for cases of depression. Numerous depression treatments are available. Medications and psychological counseling (psychotherapy) are very effective for most people. It takes time to feel better, but there are usually day-to-day improvements.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Because big corps profit from others' pain and misery. It makes me so sick that others keep alive a dying relative for 10 years pass the personal lifestyles, they don't want it yet have no energy to proclaim their own independence.

Good reply friend, S!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think there are legitimate scenarios in which suicide should be accepted. For example, when I was little I had a relative who was dying of lung cancer. He had to keep a breathing tank with him and routinely go in to have his lungs drained of fluid. When it came time that he knew he was going to soon die, he chose to simply end his suffering. There's nothing cowardly about it... He knew he was dying, so he chose the painless method.

If a person is dying or suffering due to some kind of medical condition, what right do we have to force them to endure their suffering for no other reason than to prolong their temporary life? There's nothing wrong with dying, everybody dies. But not everybody has to suffer.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Suicide is the only right we have that is all ours and ours alone. No one should be able to have a say in whether or not we can decide our end on our own terms.

As far as I am concerned, while we might want to consider suicide as a right in corporeal terms, it isn't in spiritual terms. That doesn't mean that I'm telling anyone else not to do it; but I won't be doing it myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join