It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is suicide a human right?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
No one can decide if some one wants take their own life or not. Because no one has the right to take ownership over another life.
The dilemma begins when a person wants some one else to take their life for them.
The problem than becomes: does the person who wants to die, have the right to demand from someone to take their life?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
No one can decide if some one wants take their own life or not. Because no one has the right to take ownership over another life.
The dilemma begins when a person wants some one else to take their life for them.
The problem than becomes: does the person who wants to die, have the right to demand from someone to take their life?

You are owned.
youtu.be...
Your birth certificate is a slave bond:
youtu.be...
You need to know this:
youtu.be...
edit on 15-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think suicide is certainly a human right when used to end suffering (such as euthanasia) and when there are no dependents or close people who would suffer.

But when it could hurt for example, children of a person that kills himself, things get complicated.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Interesting thread, props OP. s+f

Its entirely against all instincts to end ones own life, but the right to be able to is unquestionably our own.

And lets face it, its not like you can be given a death sentence for committing suicide, right?

Family's dont generally get any hate from others for a family member having committed suicide anyway, so actually id say that even in this current day and age its widely accepted and rarely challenged.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think if we are talking self-euthanasia, like a situation where someone is dying very painfully of a major disease or other ailment then I think there is a right to do it. But I also think that if someone is merely depressed and wants to kill them self for only that reason, then it should not be considered a right because in such a situation a person is basically physically healthy and only succumbing to mental distress, which is treatable if not curable. I'm bi-polar myself (bi-polar 2), so I understand depression very intimately, and knowing it so well I know there is always a route out if you apply yourself and deal with it, either through medication or just will power + time.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skepticesque

Did you ever read the book, "Life After Life." It was written by a doctor who had a lot of patients who had died and/or had near death experiences. In most cases, people report going through a tunnel towards a bright light, seeing family, friends, a religious figure, the usual stuff.
He had one person attempt suicide and this person went to a dark space. He heard dogs around him although he couldnt see them. All of a sudden they started biting and riping his flesh off his bones and it seemed to go on for what seemed like 24 hrs to him. When his bones were picked clean, the dogs stopped...he heaved a sigh of relief,,,which lasted a few seconds and the flesh snapped back onto his bones and the dogs started in again...this happened around 3 times before the person started crying out asking for Jesus' help and then it all stopped.
He awoke in the hospital able to continue and change his life around.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I think suicide is up to the individual. Your heavenly status wont be affected as people would have you believe. The way this world causes people to take their own lives is shocking. The things people see its no wonder they would want to be away from this earth. I have never thought about doing it but know others who have and understand why they did what they did. There is no sin in being a victim of society.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Yes. No one has the right to tell you when you should die. I suffer from depression and have contemplated it a few times. Not nice but there you go. Likewise if I lost the ability to live with dignity then I would have no hestitation in going. My question would be how to do it as painlessly as possible but that is a discussion for another day. It is YOUR life. Not your polical leaders, not anybody elses. If I want to die that is my own business. Anyway it is because of the society, world we live in that pushes one to the brink anyway in most cases. That is what needs to change. What humanity needs is a pole shift in thinking about how we live on this planet. I am tired of it all to be honest. The plants, animals and air is real but society. geopolitcal countries etc are so fake and false. What right does another group of human beings have to say we are going to charge you for food, water and fuel? You cannot tax living but that is what is being done and enough is enough. Suicide should be a human right. Mind you if suicide is carried out you are not going to be around to defend yourself against a court which will condem you so why worry about it except in the right to die rulings in terminal illness cases etc.

When i die unless it is a result of an accident or murder etc I will choose the time and place thank you very much. Here is another question

War should be made illegal and a crime against humanity. All armies should be banned. Now that would be in the step in the right direction for Human Rights.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque
Is suicide a human right?

Of course it is. Only a brainwashed bible basher would herp derp otherwise.

/pointless discussion

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by spy66

You are owned.
youtu.be...
Your birth certificate is a slave bond:
youtu.be...
You need to know this:
youtu.be...
edit on 15-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I agree. The state acts as if they own us/life and our property.
This is a violation of our human rights.

In this capitalistic society. capitalism and democracy has taken over our human rights.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
As long as it only effects you. You can do what you want. Although its not easy to hurt others if you were to commit suicide. So you have to weigh the it only effects you.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
There is no legal imperative that stipulates you have to keep yourself alive!

So why should suicide not be a right. As for assisted suicide I just hope that the laws are changed and soon in case that some time in the future I need someone to help me make the final journey so that they may be freee from prosecution.

Assisted suicide happens everyday worldwide dont forget. Take for example the terminal cancer patient who requires so much morphine to control their pain that the amount needed will kill them. Doctors prescribe doseages for patients like this everyday knowing full well that their actions could bring aout the death of the patient but it will ease suffering. Should that be illegal?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I only wish one of my old army buddies could read the OP, as I'm sure he would have something to say about the topic. He was trapped in a burning LAV after an RPG-initiated ambush, with the result being second and third degree burns all over his body, requiring skin grafts over 90% of that, including his face. This is a guy who is never going to have a social life again, never gonna be married or have kids. I would say that people that come back from war with wounds that they should have died from should be first on the list to be allowed to "self-euthanize." As for me, I'm in the next category over, with massive bouts of depression and PTSD. In all honesty I have fought suicidal thoughts for years, and looking back on it, I would say for me to do that would be the coward's way out, in contrast to my old buddy (who is still alive and looking for reasons to keep living. Visited him last week and he was in a poor state). I think people like me, who deal with depression, regardless of cause or effect, have no real right to kill themselves, as they can teach others a great deal. I feel that if someone is dealing with clinical depression, it is within their realm of responsibility to get help (I should take my own advice) and deal with the issue head on, although some people don't trust head-shrinkers, and neither do I. There are ways of dealing with it on a personal basis, as well, which is what I am doing (not the route I recommend as it is harder). In conclusion, I would say that those who receive injuries that you do not want to survive, in addition to those who suffer from terminal illnesses have every right to end their own lives when they see fit. To tell them that they don't have the right to take their lives into their own hands is the epitome of self-righteous, holier than thou behaviour from those who just do not know what hardship really is. Believe it or not ethics have nothing to do with morals (the illegality of suicide is from a moral POV). Ethics describe what the best course of action is in general, while morals describe the selfish view of what seems right to the individual, based on their upbringing. Some things can be considered ethical, while being morally reprehensible to some people, due to upbringing and so on.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'm amazed at how many think one has to be depressed or unhappy to feel the need to commit suicide.
I knew a fellow from HK, 180 IQ and could preach the I Ching in his sleep, who killed himself due to simply feeling finished with this life and desiring to move on (transmigration).

And yes, suicide is a choice given to every person upon their birth.... Whether it's responsible of them or not is a different story and another thread.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Tough question, starred and flagged for making me think.

But is it? At first thought, I'd say "yes". But isn't it all our right (human right) to live a happy life? If I kill myself, my daughter would be distraught. As would my grandmother, mother. I know my grandmother wouldn't be able to go on. (Long story)

Is it my right to do this to them? No. But it's my life? Kinda. We don't just live to live. We live for everyone, for everyone around us an in our lives. Do I think suicide is a right if you're terminally ill? Absolutely. At least this way, despite the hope, my family would have at least had it in the back of their heads that "they might lose me". Not saying it'll be easy, but at least they've had time to prepare.

I could go on and on but I'll stop.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but euthanasia is illegal in Canada and the USA. It might not be in other countries, but I speak only from my experience. Doctors who give their patients lethal doses of morphine to ease their suffering, while ethically praise-worthy, are fired and charged every day, simply because that's what the law denotes. The law actually has nothing to do with ethics anymore, and I feel that the pharmaceutical corporations that are getting rich by keeping the terminally ill in hospital beds, being pumped full of expensive medications that deal with the symptoms but skirt around the cause, are the main reason for that. Corporations run the show these days, and when suicidal and terminally ill individuals use drugs that are supplied by corporations, as an "alternative" to suicide (I myself would never recommend anything like Prozac), it makes one side richer, while the other gets worse and worse off. That is why I feel that euthanasia and suicide (in some cases justifiable, others not) are illegal. It has nothing to do with a moral or ethical standing, even though they use morals as a tool to perpetuate this nonsense. It merely has to do with some corporation's profit margins getting lower, which is intolerable and tantamount to the sky falling to some people.
edit on 15/4/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Suicide is a human shame, another one... Only in certain extreme cases like painful and invaliding diseases or wounds, should it be allowed. Other than that,it is disgraceful and pathetic. I bet humanity is the laughing stock of the whole universe. If some aliens are observing us i bet they are laughing their asses off and probably dying from it because it so much ridiculous. Well if they got a sense of humor and an ass, that is... If not, they dont know what they are missing.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by _damon

I'd give up my ass and sense of humor tho if it meant I could be more than human.

ETA and it's a sweet ass too.
edit on 15-4-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I can see your point of view, but imagine if you had noone to live for, would you then be able to justify letting someone with huge physical or emotional (whether clinical or not) problems continue their lives in lonely agony?
There are some who have noone and go through massive amounts of suffering (be it physical or mental), for various reasons, going from military injuries to incurable carcinomas (cancer), who I think should have every right to kill themselves if they see fit. I think this thread applies more to them than someone who is just full of self-pity, although, don't get me wrong, I feel that clinical depression is a serious issue, but one that requires external help, not the ending of one's life.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
... I would never want to live like that and should have the right to kill myself. Or in that case, have someone do it for me...

I think that's the important part- whether it is done solo in some grotesque way that could get others killed or at the very least leave a damaging image on the mind/s of who ever finds you with your head blown off with one eye staring at them. Who wants to do that to their loved ones or even the just the cops? Why not make it as pleasant as possible for everyone?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join