It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take the gun from the American public!

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainnotsoobvious
reply to post by nenothtu

And there you go

They don't feel the need. Americans do.

Guns don't make Americans safer though, do they? The murderer rate shows that.

Nope, guns do not make ANYONE safer. Access to guns, and the will to employ them, however, does.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christie

reply to post by Christie

GO back and read what he said, I'd say I'm simply paraphrasing...

you mean this?

Originally posted by nenothtu
BTW - the ONLY times I've ever gone abroad were specifically TO kill people and tear things up. I dunno why any of the rest do it, or what they do when they're there.

that's either a vulgar sense of humour, a cry for help, or your conclusion was correct.
but why repay evil with evil?

nenothtu: since you made the remark, would you clarify what you meant by it?

I did not kill cops overseas, nor have I ever drawn down on one here. There are far more effective ways of dealing with the situations my opponent describes. Why kill them when you can humiliate them and end their careers?

Now, if they try to kick my door in, that may be a whole 'nuther ballgame. That could potentially cause the gloves to come off, but all of the local police are already well aware of that. They treat me with respect, they get the same back.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

It's not ME living in fear of a "no knock" warrant.

Well, I have something for you to fear. From Wikki: In 2005 there were 10,100 homicides committed using firearms. Also in that same year there were 43,443 motor vehicle deaths.

We need to get the cars off the road!

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

That's why I don't drive - I live in fear of car accidents! There are CRAZY people on those roads, you know? Still, just becaus I don't drive, I'm not willing to tell someone else they can't own a car. For all I know, they may need it, and be willing to take the risk.

300,000 a year die from obesity related illness. We need to point our guns at the fat people, and yell, "PUT DOWN THAT CUPCAKE!" People should have no right to purchase a deadly box of jelly-filled doughnuts. I'll shut up now.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...

Well, there's no danger that I'll ever be obese - it's not in my genetic makeup. I would almost be willing to go on a cupcake patrol, but in the final analysis, It really doesn't matter to me what method of suicide someone else chooses.

Can I keep all the cupcakes I can confiscate? that could be an incentive....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by captainnotsoobvious

This is completely illogical.

If you look at Ireland or the UK or Japan, places with sensible gun control laws, the chances of running into a gun, even though criminals have them, to a degree, is essentially negligible.

If the US brought in non-hunting gun control laws it would take a while to clean up the 70 million guns and reduce it to a reasonable number (two hunting guns per person w/ hunting license, say) it would take a while to get the other guns off the street, and it would never completely remove guns from society, BUT it would be possible to significantly reduce handgun crime to European levels, reduce the murder rate, significantly, and make people actually feel safer.

Americans are deluded into thinking they need a gun to protect themselves against others with guns.... visit a European country.. no one hear lives in fear of guns, or feels they need a gun for safety... I lived in London for years, a city of 10M+ and didn't see a single handgun. In fact the only guns I ever saw were on the occasional cops. I know some criminals have 'em, but they are NOT part of society.

I grew up in the deep south in the states and saw two people shot in my high school. I knew dozens of kids with guns, dozens. That's not right. At all.

I know that Americans tend to think guns are essential, but they're wrong. The data, the facts, from the rest of the world prove they're wrong.

This is completely illogical.

In the proper context of that statement, it applies to your own post, and I couldn't agree more. Quite frankly, that disclaimer should have been at the start of ALL of your posts.

If you look at Ireland or the UK or Japan, places with sensible gun control laws, the chances of running into a gun, even though criminals have them, to a degree, is essentially negligible.

That comment relies on your sensibilities. Your history of not providing references, name calling, false accusations, and blatant disregard for facts provided, indicate that you don't have any.

If the US brought in non-hunting gun control laws

The United States had gun control laws in effect long before you blokes quit terrorizing one another with bombs and beatings. The areas, in this country, that have the highest rates of murder, and other violent crimes, ARE most often the same areas with the strictest gun control laws.

it would take a while to clean up the 70 million guns and reduce it to a reasonable number

There are, at the least, that many firearms that are untracable, and likely in the hands of criminals. When illegal firearms are found, they ARE confiscated and often destroyed. This policy has been in effect for many years, and has been shown to be ineffective because of the many illegal weapons still coming into this country.

In fact the only guns I ever saw were on the occasional cops. I know some criminals have 'em, but they are NOT part of society.

Horse crap! Unfortunately, criminals ARE A LARGE part of society. In this country, they possess about one third of all guns.

I grew up in the deep south in the states and saw two people shot in my high school. I knew dozens of kids with guns, dozens.

Considering your propensity for dishonesty, I don't believe one word of that.

As indicated by many of your comments, I suspect your only purpose for responding to this topic is to insult Americans. If not, why are you so concerned about our laws? I certainly don't give a damn about yours.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Are they being used in the vast majority of murders? Yes.

Your answer is absolutely correct! Considering that threat, why do you feel that we should be forced to rely on anything less effective for self defense?

See ya,
Milt
edit on 5-4-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

As indicated by many of your comments, I suspect your only purpose for responding to this topic is to insult Americans. If not, why are you so concerned about our laws? I certainly don't give a damn about yours.

More than likely jealousy at not being able to have own a gun
In the UK were not allowed guns but i know that
I'd like to sit a my table cleaning polishing my guns when my daughter starts bringing boyfriends home as this may well discourage some of them
Emigrate to America
Pros-Guns
Cons-None

Cran

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

Is America that unsafe that you all feel the need to have guns?

Generally speaking, no. Most of us will never feel the need to use one for self defense. Unfortunately, firearms ARE the weapon of choice for most criminals in this country. If you needed to defend yourself from someone with a firearm, would you prefer to use a knife?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Considering some of his comments, I strongly suspect that he, or his family, was actually deported from this country. So yep, I concur on the jealousy aspect.

I got a kick out of your comment about cleaning firearms.

Much of the purported "concern" that many non residents show for the United States is nothing more than hypocrisy, and very thinly veiled arrogance.

Cheers to ya,
Milt
edit on 5-4-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

You don't need 40 guns.

What qualifies you to tell someone what they need, or don't need?

If America made hand guns illegal the amount of murders committed with hand guns would drop exponentially for a decade, at least.

Hey smarty... The vast majority of hand guns used in murders, and other violent crimes, ARE ALREADY ILLEGAL. Criminals don't give a damn about that. What makes you feel that they do? Felons possessing firearms has been illegal for many decades in this country. That alone shows your conclusion to be nothing but bunk... just like the rest of your posts.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Sorry Milt, but that's another lie.

The guns that are taken off the streets are re-supplied via things like gun shows, etc., which could be ended.

I have NO issue with guns for hunting, but if hand guns were only sold to the cops in America you COULD successfully bring the numbers down, exponentially, for at least a decade, because there wouldn't be a steady stream of new guns entering the market.

This isn't a theory, mind. This is a fact. Look at places that DO control hand guns (now would be a time for your European statistics) and you'll see that there's not millions of guns in the hands of criminals in the UK.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

It's murder rate is four times as high as it's European counterparts. So yeah, it's not exactly the safest place to be.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

so captain, its been over a day, got an answer to my request yet?

Where is your proof that america would be safer without guns?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Like I said, your other option is quite simple, you're claiming that the murder rate, already four times that of European countries, would be a lot worse, without guns.

Just how murderous do you think America naturally is?

I mean really.

The other option is simple:

Americans are like everyone else, but with a lot more access to deadlier weapons, which is the main reason the murder rate is so much higher.

Take you pick.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Like I said, your other option is quite simple, you're claiming that the murder rate, already four times that of European countries, would be a lot worse, without guns.

Just how murderous do you think America naturally is?

I mean really.

The other option is simple:

Americans are like everyone else, but with a lot more access to deadlier weapons, which is the main reason the murder rate is so much higher.

Take you pick.

So......where's your proof?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The guns that are taken off the streets are re-supplied via things like gun shows, etc., which could be ended.

Not here.

They're melted into slag and sold as scrap metal. Not even the officers can retrieve them.

I have NO issue with guns for hunting, but if hand guns were only sold to the cops in America you COULD successfully bring the numbers down, exponentially, for at least a decade, because there wouldn't be a steady stream of new guns entering the market.

Do you mean like in the aftermath of the "assault weapons" ban? They banned pseudo-assault rifles on a purely cosmetic rationale, and the net result was an influx of REAL assault rifles to cover the deficit. BATFE popped a single shipment of 2000 Chinese Type-56 assault rifles and 4000 magazines in San Diego in 1996, two years after the ban, bound for sale to street gangs. I have to wonder how many they DIDN'T catch...

Handguns are a lot easier to smuggle than full grown rifles.

edit on 2012/4/5 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

OMG - two Captains going toe to toe!

TEN-HUT! OFFICERS ON DECK!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

OMG - two Captains going toe to toe!

TEN-HUT! OFFICERS ON DECK!

Let everyone remember, I was, and always will be, the original Captain!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

This isn't a theory, mind. This is a fact. Look at places that DO control hand guns (now would be a time for your European statistics) and you'll see that there's not millions of guns in the hands of criminals in the UK.

Those Guns are re sold by POLICE and only with serial numbers. If they have no serials they are destroyed. The police also do backround checks as well. Gunshow owners usually go and buy these guns as well,but those are all legally acquired. You are a american and are worrying about others business? You have a right to free speech,but not the right to be heard.In other words if its not your concern do not worry about it. As for the staistics it was posted a few pages back how about do some du edilegence and look it up? Down at the bottom of the list. The totals were UK had more crimes/victims across the board.
edit on 5-4-2012 by yuppa because: Had to remove mention of the UK being someones place of residence.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Hey idiot, I am an American.

Now now, play nice. If you've got to resort to name calling and personal attacks, a time out may be warranted.

edit on 2012/4/5 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join