It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by fakedirt

This is a right liberty cctv cameras everywhere registration plate readers in service stations
You can't go about your own business without being tracked

this is important for many reasons and one must make the distinction between the right to protect the public from harm on the streets (safety), in their cars (non insured drivers) against intrusion into something i see as a basic tenet of freedom.
they have been monitoring all communications for years now. ever read spycatcher by greengrass, the one which maggie banned due to it's sensitive nature? the echelon system, gchq, local government footsoldiers who gather intel on individuals via various organisations,clubs, womens institute military wing assassination by marmalade (joke!).

imo the issue is about control. the gubbermint are seriously concerned about extremists of all flavours and did itself no favours being caught up in fake wars to grab resources and in the meantime the media drive the suggestions (discreetly implied) that one never knows who or where the enemy will appear. it could be the man next door. it could be the lollipop lady or scout master. it could be anyone and as such we are all under the spotlight.
if you think the pressure is on now, wait until all legislation borne through various private interests and multinationals take effect. they will always be prepared to use violence to sustain their tenureship whether it be from external threats or their 'own' citizens. the balance between state and individual is already out of kilter.
time and pressure will take their effect.
f.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We in Britain will let this happen and nothing will be said!
No one will get off their arse and protest.
We deserve to be shafted if we can't be bothered to sort it!!
I tried explaining to my wife about Google's new privacy laws, she just said that i'm paranoid
and spend too much time on ATS..

The masses don't care. they have facebook!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Here Here! totally agree and it will happen. Best not disturb the peace, what!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

The masses don't care. they have facebook!

lol..love it.
what about those that don't have it and have never used that tool? do they care?

i am constantly amused when the topic of facebook comes into a physical conversation. after i have my say, silence is indeed golden.
now if they set up fakebook...hmmm.
f.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Here is a little something big brother and all those that support a new world order (even those on ATS who proclaim to support this crap) Monitor THAT!!

Funny how those who care about freedom and liberty are now considered domestic terrorists isn't it.
edit on 1-4-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

A new law - which may be announced in the forthcoming Queen's Speech in May - would not allow GCHQ to access the content of emails, calls or messages without a warrant. But it would enable intelligence officers to identify who an individual or group is in contact with, how often and for how long. They would also be able to see which websites someone had visited.

www.bbc.co.uk...

BIG MOTHER is WATCHING YOU

Well sorta Maybe Sorta ...

Big Mother is Watching You

"Mother should I trust the government..."

At Country becoming more Orwellianish Oceania

1984 George Orwell Movie Trailer (1984)

So it back to Pencil and Paper is it ?

Like Writing in Winston's Smith's Diary

edit on 1-4-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NullVoid

I would also change my MAC address, use public wifi, in conjunction with tor and HTTPS and use a very common browser that does not have a unique browser fingerprint:

panopticlick.eff.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You know your country is screwed up when you find out this ISN'T an April Fools joke.
edit on 1-4-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

In our favor is mass, like fish there are so many of us, they can't be watching us all the time, have to use machines and key actions, looks, words to pick out the ones to look at closer. That leads to people like me, who set them off on purpose

You too
Direct action on this one would be easy peasy if we all did exactly that. A mass 'I'm Sparticus' movement. It would render the tool obsolete and might actually get these characters bums off their seats and out doing their job. Never mind catching terrorists - how about catching the occasional burglar.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

In fact the scenario reminds of a Film entitled 'Equilibrium' (Great Film btw)...

Thanks for the heads up on the movie~going to look for it.

~is still a rose

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.

As scary and out of bounds as that may sound, it really is a pipe dream on the "watchers" part. They want us to be "very afraid" of that we say, but the reality is far... for instance: last I heard there are 20 hours of video being uploaded on YouTube every minute of every day. On YouTube alone.

Even with word recognition or source affiliation search engines working full time, that is still a ton of stuff to act upon. And even if they do have a list, you know how long its going to take to round everyone up that said something "bad"? And detain them, convict them and sentence them to a limited # of jail cells? At the current speed of justice today, that will take exactly forever.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Title from the BBC site should read something along the lines of "New laws propose email and web use 'to be monitored'" ...but of course that wouldn't get as many hits.

They had better enact laws soon or else all those spooky 'terrorists' will will conspire online and get them and their children when they least expect it! Boo!! Seriously, whoever is stupid enough to plan real terrorist activities online probably couldn't pull off anything significant anyway.

I can see it now...eventually, we will all be required to live in glass houses, so they can be sure we aren't up to any terrorist activity! They will monitor purchases of everything from cigarette lighters to kitchen knives and scissors without rounded tips! But, seriously...

They are the terrorists! They terrorize us by eroding what little liberties we do still have, like a nagging paranoid parent that won't let go. I feel sorry for future generations. I would never have kids in this day and age, which brings up something interesting... maybe so many people are so much in denial about the state of the world because they couldn't bear the fact that they are responsible for bring their children into this mess!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

That pic of Johnny Cash... Priceless!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Storing & monitoring all Telecom data already happened in the UK years ago. It just shows how bovine the British are - only when the MSM announce something do the cattle raise their heads from the grass.

Also GCHQ doesn't NEED to apply for ISP permission to get communications on demand. It doesn't NEED a warranty. GCHQ spent reportedly £1 billion on installing "black box" probes across the online infrastructure. That was 3 years ago. They already have access to well, basically everything.

GCHQ-denies-plans-to-monitor- all-internet-use-and-phone-calls

The UK already retains:
All Telephony Data (but not the call itself) - for 12 months.
SMS, EMS and MMS Data - for 6 months
ISP Subscriber Information - for 12 months
ISP Data (log-in/log-off, etc) - for 6 months
Email Data (headers basically) – 6 months.
Web Activity Logs – retention period 4 days (yeah, sure. This is more like 6 months in line with EU data retention directive)
Also...
Postal data ( Information written on the outside of a postal item)- retention period unknown.
Banking data - retention period seven years.
Vehicle movement data - retention period two years

Source : wikipedia

I worked for an ISP for 10 years, and I can tell you for a fact that they never deleted a single expired subscriber account in that period. Why?.. simple. There are no government audits, and personal information has value. You are not protected by the law despite the Data Protection Act, because nobody oversees the implementation of the Act.
edit on 1-4-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: typo

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
the thing that is most disturbing is over at the bbc site, this story only has only 12 comments

what gives....where is your outrage brits?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday for the exact reason but people tend to read the title and as in many cases the titles are altered for various reasons. Now take the time to listen to what the person is saying word for word.

In Brief : SOPA is all but going ahead, nothing has stopped it has been given the Green light, time to switch to encryption mode.

July 12 2012 remember this date.

Mitigation Measures
edit on 1-4-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

They basically already do it, everything is monitored in UK. They even tried to get into my computer my firewall blocked The british council I even have their ip address. Oh yeah I live in the USA.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker808

they are trying to sneak it in

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

Why do the British people put up with all of this?

Come to think of it, why do we in America put up with all of this?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Orwell saw this coming a mile away.

most people are already brainwashed, it will be a case of; ''if you haven't got nothing to hide'' nonsense. People just don't realise that that big boot is still stamping on the face of us since Orwell wrote about it

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join