It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Ach we managed to organize the occasional riot perfectly well long before the advent of the net, mobile phones, facebook and twitter. How did we do that again? Oh yeah.....it used to be called talking.

Tell you what.....we'll all be good boys and girls all the time and promise not to do a thing as the government screws us all into the deck for the sake of big business and personal gain. We'll just accept it and everything will be just fine. 'There there now, hush, don't worry about a thing, big brother will "take care" of you.'

And I suppose your talking allowed you to light up town after town staying ahead of the police? If you used telephones back in the day, then now you know why there are wiretaps.
Thanks for proving my point, the riots led to these new laws governing modern communication.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

i think the tin man got something about brits and why has he not apologized and said we are all not to blame as surely we are not is beyond me think he needs some wd40 on his jaw joints someone pass me the oil can or the soap to wash his mouth out .finger pointing saying we deserve everything we get. the great oz has spoken now have a heart ohh i forgot you dont have one squeak squeak ..wots the matter mouth rusted shut?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

ok how do you know that the government was waiting for an excuse to implement these powers etc

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

And I suppose your talking allowed you to light up town after town staying ahead of the police? If you used telephones back in the day, then now you know why there are wiretaps.
Thanks for proving my point, the riots led to these new laws governing modern communication.

Did I mention telephones? I didn't mention telephones.

It's really quite simple - when government - or any other function of state gets too out of control historically two groups have changed things. The middle classes and the student classes.

Yes there were some eejits during the riots - there was also some quite deliberate - and quite sane vandalism. Why? Because if the demonstration was entirely peaceful the media did not report on it. It is the duty of every generation to 'rebel' against the wrongs of the preceding generation - that's how we progress.

As the student classes march (and ours have been sleeping for 20 years I'm so pleased they're starting to wake up) the middle classes traditionally handle the spread of information and provide alternative systems for the future. Why the middle classes? Simply because the tend to have the dosh, time and education to enable them to do so. Why not the upper echelons? Why don't they facilitate change? Obviously because any change puts their position at the top of society's ladder at risk? Why not the poor? Cos they're too damn busy trying to survive another day.

'There is no such thing as a successful rebel for the successful rebel becomes the establishment.'

Now do you think the power brokers of today achieved their position by sitting with their cap in their hands hoping things may go their way and that today they will receive their daily bread? Or do you think they, and their ancestors, were the rebels of our history?

Your attitude appears to be one of the fearful schoolchild who wants to be the teacher's pet.

What is your solution to the current global governmental and corporate abuse the majority of the people on this planet are currently being subjected to?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

ok how do you know that the government was waiting for an excuse to implement these powers etc

The majority over there was afraid they would implement martial law to the extreme, now you are crying when they held back and implemented surveillance.

You can't confront the rioters and you can't look for them either lol.

That fantasy world never existed nor ever will. You will have both measures to varying degrees. Confronting took a backseat to surveillance, which is what the populace demanded.

You will be the first full blown nanny state if this continues, and it will be by your own choosing.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

I think one would refer to Tinfoil as an agent provocateur. He's having a laugh and on the wind up.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

edit on 3-4-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sign this and spread the word. It is much more known and is picking up pace compared to the epetition.

Avaaz - Stop the big brother law

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by daveyboy1991

Is it a great idea to put your real name on this thing????

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Does Avaaz direct the signatures directly to the Downing Street E Petitions site?

The downing street petition LINK has but 8,500 signatories and Avaaz is already way past 40,000.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Yeah, anyway lets hope by signing this, we can get heard and this eavesdropping dropped!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Like Avaaz says on their site it was nought but public pressure that halted it last time. The Tories probably only voted against it when they were in opposition to win hearts and minds...now they're in power....they want to know our souls.

No way.....access without a warrant! Who are they kidding.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Does Avaaz direct the signatures directly to the Downing Street E Petitions site?

The downing street petition LINK has but 8,500 signatories and Avaaz is already way past 40,000.

As far as i am aware, the epetitions site needs 100,000 signatures for it to get debated. The problem is its taking very long already and not many people are aware of the epetition site. Also there is no guarantee that it wont just get thrown out.

Avaaz is pretty much getting signatures every second and from people across the world, not just limited to the UK people. With their previous campaigns they have been very successful.

They say:

We take action -- signing petitions, funding media campaigns and direct actions, emailing, calling and lobbying governments, and organizing "offline" protests and events -- to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform the decisions that affect us all.

There is no harm in spreading both, but by the time the epetition site hits 100,000 the avaaz site will most likely have 500k+ which will raise further awareness which can only be good

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
As somebody has brought up in another thread, it's interesting that this law rears it's ugly head again at the same time as a huge data complex is being made in Utah for the NSA.

To add to this the recent plan for secret court hearings all because the USA doesn't like the way we do things.
edit on 5/4/12 by Kram09 because: typos

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I just thought of something else.... how do we know they won't implement this anyway???

Done plenty of other stuff behind our backs and even if we protest about it i the streets they've still gone ahead and done it... most of the time they don't listen to the public view!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by daveyboy1991

I agree 100% - every which way. We saw them pull the 3 line whip on Europe which totally exposed the undemocratic nature of British politics but we still have to be heard.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I just thought of something else.... how do we know they won't implement this anyway???

Done plenty of other stuff behind our backs and even if we protest about it i the streets they've still gone ahead and done it... most of the time they don't listen to the public view!

Right now it's illegal for them to do it. We could sue them if discovered snooping at present (class action anyone?) but they're trying to rid themselves of that little legal obstacle. These people should be remembering that they are public SERVANTS - paid for by the public to act in our best interests - they are NOT our overlords.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

first the uk.. amerika will soon follow. Where should we go after that?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Plans to introduce new laws to give GCHQ real-time access to data over Skype, instant message and web-based email have prompted 16 Liberal Democrat MPs – more than a quarter of the parliamentary party – to write an open letter warning of the potential dangers.

It comes after their leader, Nick Clegg, was forced to insist that the plans, which are still expected to be announced in the Queen's speech, will not be rushed through before further debate. Instead of being announced as a policy commitment, they would be described as "draft legislation", government sources said, following an outcry from backbenchers and civil liberty groups.

Source : Lib Dem MPs issue warning over web surveillance proposals

So it looks like they've already backed down from trying to get it voted on quickly to something that could take ages being debated, watered down, altered, etc. Then they'll either try and push it through that way or scrap it then make another bill and it'll all start off again.

Petition links if you've not seen/signed them yet, think the Downing Street one has to be for UK residents but the Avaaz one is fine for anyone :

Downing Street petition

Avaaz Petition

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join