It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

www.bbc.co.uk

The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon.

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.

The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism, but civil liberties groups have criticised it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
They're trying again. As the article states, the last bill attempt faced opposition and was defeated, so why are they having a second go?

The key thing to remember is that this is warrantless. No permission, no oversight. I'm of the belief that they're already doing this anyway and have since 9/11, so god knows what they're up to if there's now a 'public' bill for it. It wouldn't have to be limited to 'terrorism' - infact, terrorism could be anything they want it to be.

Planning a demonstration at a nuclear plant? Going to protest some government action? They'll know everything about you and your friends. They already do this through non-private means like monitoring social networking sites, but this'll go behind that and into your personal life.

It'll also be interesting to see how the current conservative lot vote for this, seeing how they denied it last time, most likely because it originated from Labour. Bet it'll be the reverse this time, ridiculous politics.

Will try to find some more links, but it's hardly surprising to even see it reported in the news

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yes I saw that report. Guess big brother is here. 1984 was a warning to the future, not a blue print for our govt. Which it has become. The entire system is rotten to the core and we dont need big brother looking over our shoulders. Telling us what we need or what we can do.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I had just read that article myself. Very scary indeed!
I know GCHQ are already able to locate and track your mobile phone in real time as this was revealed in the Omagh bomb trial, they were tracking the 'suspected' bombers movements via mobile at the time and this was in 1997.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
april fools anyone ?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
april fools anyone ?

Since it's being reported via multiple news outlets, then I highly doubt it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I was just about to post this myself

this is absolutely outrageous and we need to do everything in out power to fight this bill.

If the people let this pass then i would say we are truly doomes and most of the people in this country are asleep or couldnt care less.

They will say you should not worry if you have nothing to hide... well its not about hiding things its about personal privacy and freedoms which are swiftly being eroded by th fecking elites around the world.

VIVA LA REOLUTION

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
april fools anyone ?

Hehe, if only. And I doubt bbc news 'does' april fools anyway.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AR154

You know what?

The UK is beginning to feel like NK or Iran or what China and Russia used to be.....

If this doesnt stop.... soon we will be unable to go out when we feel like it.... unable to communicate with people outside the UK.... unable to wear what we like etc etc....

In fact the scenario reminds of a Film entitled 'Equilibrium' (Great Film btw)...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Shoot. I thought this was going to be something like this charming little thread.

The fact its not is vomit-worthy.

The UK is sliding into the abyss. Sooooo glad I don't live there.

Our British brothers and sisters need to take matters back into their own hands as citizens before this goes too much further.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I think the paranoid, the 1%, are using Britain as the testing area you guys were first to get the cameras absolutely everywhere in London, now they are all over US cities as well. They are going to monitor our internet too, just when is the question.

In our favor is mass, like fish there are so many of us, they can't be watching us all the time, have to use machines and key actions, looks, words to pick out the ones to look at closer. That leads to people like me, who set them off on purpose

I am always using NSA key words online and on the phone. Makes my friends, who are normal, whatever that is, crazy

I remember seeing a show on TV about surveillance cameras in London and this man was seen running. The police went to his house and wanted to know why. Guilty until proven innocent. The day I have to explain normal behavior to some cop is the day I become full time, full blown outrageous!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If this passes then freedom is completely dead. Death to David Cameron and the rest of the unelected government. They are traitors, theives, liars and murderes. Whats the bet that none of them have their internet use monitored? They hide everything from us yet they want us to expose everything we do to them. I hate this country, I hate this government. They need eradicating from the face of this planet.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
I was just about to post this myself

this is absolutely outrageous and we need to do everything in out power to fight this bill.

If the people let this pass then i would say we are truly doomes and most of the people in this country are asleep or couldnt care less.

They will say you should not worry if you have nothing to hide... well its not about hiding things its about personal privacy and freedoms which are swiftly being eroded by th fecking elites around the world.

VIVA LA REOLUTION

There are now people on the BBC site supporting a peaceful revolution in the UK. There are people stating that we have the right to forcibly remove a dictatorial government, and I truly believe for the first time we could actually see that happen.

With our government proven to be corrupt, working for their corporate friends, with their creation of the fuel panic to cover up their mess, and now this too... I don't foresee our government lasting beyond the summer.

If they refuse to leave through peaceful protest of the people, I do believe we'll see them dragged from their seats in parliament by the angry masses.

There is only so much the people of the UK will take.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Hmmm, this is starting to look a bit like V for Vendetta.

I'm all for heading down to London for some protesting, this Government makes me sick, just as much as Maggie Thatcher!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by domasio

I'm all for heading down to London for some protesting, this Government makes me sick, just as much as Maggie Thatcher!

And when did protesting in london ever change the governments mind about anything?
I shall protest by getting a secure VPN.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Originally posted by domasio

And when did protesting in london ever change the governments mind about anything?
I shall protest by getting a secure VPN.

Poll Tax.

Second line.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm actually a little shocked that there isn't more discussion about this already.

These are the kinds of discussions we normally see taking off on ATS, but there seems to be very little going on.

I'm really looking forward to what the likes of Anon might do in response to this. There are thousands of Anon's in the UK, and many hundreds of thousands outside the UK who would love an excuse to target the UK government.

I would expect to see a direct threat from Anon over this in the coming days, that could become very interesting and will actually highlight the reason for it.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Poll Tax?
Didn't they just change the name to council tax?

Edit-If anon try anything,the government will make a big deal about it in the media,and will use the actions of anon to attempt to convince us that they were right to apply the new web monitoring laws.

edit on 1/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Poll Tax?

Technically, yes. But it would not have changed at all had there not been protests on the scale there were.

John Major changed it to the Council Tax, which takes into account the value of the property on which the householder is taxed, which really just went back to the original format.

It's believed by those who took part in the protests and put pressure on the government that it would not have been changed were it not for those protests.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Poll Tax?

Edit-If anon try anything,the government will make a big deal about it in the media,and will use the actions of anon to attempt to convince us that they were right to apply the new web monitoring laws.

edit on 1/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

But I don't think that will work either. I think the majority of people would see the clear danger. If a peaceful protest group is used as an example of why they need these measures, they'll actually be proving to the population that it's nothing to with terrorism and everything to do with monitoring and controlling protest and political dissent.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join