It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
the problem with these types of laws is that they never get retracted. They get the go ahead and no government would ever remove such powers. This law will be used on everyone, not just suspected terrorists. It will be used by all government agencies. They will be able to read all your mail and banking details online.

It's very bad news and just follows a worrying trend of removing civil liberties. I thought the only good thing about have a tory and Lib dem government would have been a role back of these types of intrusive measures.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is outrageous! Immediately I saw it and have posted to friends and aquaintances - hopefully the people in the UK will rise up against this. We have a decent argument to make even the darkest sheep realise they have a case to protest against this.

As said, nothing to hide? What about your passwords, bank details, whereabouts and all personal data to be known to some strangers?

There is a petition on the Number 10 website, make sure you sign it!

epetitions.direct.gov.uk...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
How is this news?

The Intelligence Agencies have been doing this for how many decades?

But of course, they only "use it when necessary". Hahaha.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
NSA in USA, already has been monitoring all incoming/outgoing communications for a while now, you can add internet to that, if google has spyders, Nsa has creepers....

April fools or not, sad that it's a fact here... you are free to live within this box, and follow these rules, and pay money to do most things, and work for that money but only have minimum time left afterwards to spend it, well on what you wanted that is.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
just like with pretty much any and everything else, if they are publicly coming to light with this, it's been going on for years.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Marching in the streets will not work and only mean more implementation of what they have in store.... the best way today to make them listen is to do what i suggested on page 3(i think its on page 3)...
edit on 2-4-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I think the Internet is becoming a very idea indeed!!
edit on 2-4-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Protesting doesn't work when the gov really wants something.

If you want truly anonymous e-mail then use TOR and web-based email only, like hotmail.

www.torproject.org...

All the best,

QV.

edit on 2-4-2012 by qvision because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I would also change my MAC address, use public wifi, in conjunction with tor and HTTPS and use a very common browser that does not have a unique browser fingerprint:

panopticlick.eff.org...

So i ran the test and my browser is unique... how do i make it more common?
edit on 2-4-2012 by daveyboy1991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Where is the outrage from companies, other governments etc etc ???? Surely this is a cause for concern for keeping their latest R&D projects secret.

Gubbermint email scanner: Oooo that's a nice juicy money making idea. I bet my cousin Bob could knock up a prototype quick sharp and patent it before they do and I'll get a nice little kick back when the cash starts flowing in....

As for foreign governments, surely this is a matter of national security?? I do know why nothing is being said because all their strings are being pulled by the same puppet master and all their fingers are in the same pie, but seriously, could they not feign even the slightest bit of apprehension about this?

The internet HAS been a wonderful invention, I remember listening to a radio show a few years back where they said that today's generation has access to more information in a single day than our grandparents had in their ENTIRE lifetime. That is remarkable progress. I enjoy interacting on ATS and, yes grab your buckets, facebook as well as other trivial fun sites, and for the more mundane banking and shopping sites it's convenient but it's something I lived without for the first 30 years of my life and something I will be able to live without again.

Everyday, okay maybe every second day, I see new laws being signed, new bills proposed etc that are fencing us in tighter and tighter, and no one seems to notice, no one seems to care, I despair for us all. My family laughed when I said in all seriousness the only way to get away from this is to gtfo the planet.. there really is nowhere else to go to get away from it

And if there is, please let me know by PM, don't want the whole of ATS arriving at my new 'safe' destination

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Use tor and encrypt everything.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They have always been monitored to some degree because all the providers collect info about your activity.

Unless you are a criminal/terrorist then you should surely have nothing to worry about?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

Unless you are a criminal/terrorist then you should surely have nothing to worry about?

Oh for goodness sake! Can't you come up with a less naive argument than that? I'd suggest a wee watch of 1984

Google Video Link

Big Brother....sorry...Auntie Beeb is very good at propaganda. In fact the British establishment used to be so good at propaganda that our citizens thought everyone else in the world was subject to it except for us. Hee haw

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 4hero

It took centuries for we plebeians to achieve the levels of human rights we have now - and they are being fast eroded. Once we relinquish these rights they may never be recovered. Next you'll be saying being micro chipped might be handy in case you're in a car accident and the doctors need your details.

Get cynical - get very cynical. The more cynical you become the closer to the truth you are likely getting.
edit on 2-4-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
in america all incoming communication channels are monitored already as its not considered 'domestic' and is more in the realm of counter espionage so its not too hard to imagine all traffic entering uk soverign territory to be treated the same

standard unencrypted traffic is a bit like sending a book via post cards as its open for anyone to see what you have written but due to load balancing etc the person at any one point may not read the entire book but if you collect every page at a few points you can put the book back together with reasonable ease due to message id's so the other side knows which packets have been recieved ok and if anything needs to be retransmitted

now how to keep things hidden that you dont want to be read by the spooks

1. find out where physically servers that hold stuff are based and under what laws can they get at any info on the server so dont use any service where the local cops can just log in and rummage around for the lulz.

2. multiple identities on ats you are 'mr made-up-name' and always use tor/vpn and connect from a belgian ip address while on another site you are 'mr ooh-lets-think-up-a-name' and come in from tunisia

3. be careful on what personal info you give away as an accidental post of 'damm they knocked down my old school hall last friday' will give some hints as to your location

4. stay of facebook/twitter if at all possible as even checking your monitored twitter feed what you only post to via tor/vpn etc will create an entry on the twitter systems and they can try and resolve all who accessed that page

5. burn phones are ok but remember theres no point buying a new phone every week or two if the spooks know you ring your mum at 2.30 every sunday without fail

i'm sure theres plenty more to be added

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero
They have always been monitored to some degree because all the providers collect info about your activity.

what so everyone in the country should have their piracy invaded in the name of terrorism.

This is going to be far wider and once this gets approved it will only be so long until they expand the law to include all downloads of music, any government protests etc. Every law expands on what its been set out to do, and it can be misinterpreted so easily by one vague word

What will we have in this world once all our rights are slowly taken away from us? Oh yeah i forgot its all ok because we have facebook.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Maybe the book 1984 was a blueprint for 2084 and this is just the start.

It was our government here in England that opposed these laws when they were in opposition, now they are in power they are trying to bring these laws through.

But to sift through millions of everyones emails, texts, track internet use etc its just not logistically possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
they are attempting to do this here in Canada aswell. Trying to force ISPs to install equipment that allows anyone to spy on any of our electronic communications WITHOUT A WARRANT
openmedia.ca......... surprise surprise, harpers government is behind it
edit on 2-4-2012 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by glowsticks
This is outrageous! Immediately I saw it and have posted to friends and aquaintances - hopefully the people in the UK will rise up against this. We have a decent argument to make even the darkest sheep realise they have a case to protest against this.

As said, nothing to hide? What about your passwords, bank details, whereabouts and all personal data to be known to some strangers?

There is a petition on the Number 10 website, make sure you sign it!

epetitions.direct.gov.uk...

There was 800 signatories to this petition when I signed it less than an hour ago. There are now more than 1500. Good....but we must do better

ETA Make that more than 1600 since I drafted this post.
edit on 2-4-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

imho this is not about terrorists, this is about us. They are afraid of us, and they should be. We have all been dormant, the distraction techniques have worked, but now we see, we are waking up.

It would appear that the future is not so bright, so they seek to get control before it gets rough. Got news, control is an illusion and even if people have to use pitchforks, they will find a way. Not enough laws in the world to handle a bunch of junk yard dogs. Government control only works with the consent of the governed. We do not consent. We have always found ways to throw off oppression and history shows we can win. They need to back on up out a here.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
And now too, you can be strip searched for absolutely any offense, no matter how minor. You Americans are absolutely fked. I'm so glad I'm not there.

Source

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join