It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Explain to Me Why They Believe 2012 Theories?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'll tell you why I want to believe in 2012.

The Bible is just too nonsensical to trust, and if something doesn't change, then all I have is 50 something years of hell on earth to look forward to.

If nothing's going to change, then life isn't worth living. Mankind has proven that it doesn't learn from its mistakes as a species, so it will only get worse without outside influence. Early death would be a kinder fate.

Not that I want to die. But honestly, death itself would be heaven compared to the suicidal chaos of Earth. That's my answer to your question. If there is no 2012, there's no hope.
edit on CMondayam161611f11America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
As you can see, no one has legitly answered your question OP; as they don't know why they believe in such nonsense.

-Galactic alignments have been scientifically proven to be false. (They can't happen because its all based on where "you" are)
-Flares happen all the time.
-The Mayan calendar does not end. It is cyclical.
-A global awakening is too late, and physically impossible.
-A "rapture" will not occur. The bible says no one can know until the time comes.
-No asteriods (that are known at the time) will collide with earth.
-Something even 1 lightyear away, unless it has more mass than a trillion suns, will not effect Earth, let alone the solar system.
-Earthquakes occur daily; paying attention to them too much causes people to jump on a
bandwagon that states "major earthquakes" occur every 188 days, when it has proven to
false.

Was that everything?
edit on 26-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

See my previous post, if you will. Maybe you'll adjust your response accordingly.

...oh, and no. That was not everything.

edit on CMondayam111109f09America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

See my previous post, if you will. Maybe you'll adjust your response accordingly.

edit on CMondayam111109f09America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

No thanks. Honestly, It still doesn't give a reason why you should.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

If you look at everything she predicted pretty much all of it has precedence throughout history. In fact I noticed a lot of things on the list that occurred in the 70s. So if it has precedence it stands without saying that it could happen again. So then the author isn't really being insightful or prophetic, she's simply just saying that this happened once in the past it'll probably happen again some time.

by your own words then you too should believe civilization is coming to an end because it happened before. it's true history repeats itself especially in a world run by corrupt, power hungry elites. i look at what is happening today and use that as my guideline to what we will probably see coming ahead of us. when you look at the level of corruption, pollution, human nature of TPTB and add it up, doesn't look like our society will survive much longer, in it's present form.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

No thanks. Honestly, It still doesn't give a reason why you should.

What country do you live in? If you're still questioning my post, it must be amazing there.

edit on CMondayam353527f27America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
This site is supposed to be about denying ignorance so it just simply confounds me that this remains one of the most popular forums on the site with new theories (not to mention popular) being posted almost every day. This isn't meant to be mocking in anyway, I seriously want to know what keeps people believing with the very core of their being that the world will end/ascend on December 21, 2012.

Well, what confounds me is that you are suprised and or "confounded" at all regarding this...Did you honestly think you could kill the 2012 theory BEFORE 2012 actually happened??

It (2012) remains one of the most popular threads because...we are in 2012 and approaching the "date" that people have been thinking about and pondering about and theorizing about for several years now. What is so "confounding" about this? Its pretty obvious and expected if you ask me...you think its popular now? Wait till December 1st...but don't be confounded...

As far as "believing with the very core of their being"...I don't think I've seen many of those...I see a lot of off the cuff theorizing and speculation...I bet you these people are still going to work and paying their bills...not something someone who believes with the core of their being would do, if they thought in a mere 9 months they would be dead or a super saiyan...

For me the 2012 hype is understandable and expected as the hype is/was built up for so long and as we approach the infamous date...it will only get more and more hyped.

In reality I think people are MOSTLY entertained or intreagued by the self-realization that THEY DON'NT KNOW JACK S*** and as far as they know, or you know, or anyone else knows for that matter...they very well could die and be reborn as a Super Saiyan on Dec 21 2012....

I think the hype comes from the unknown...as does ALL the hype with ALL the obscure topics...this one, just has a DATE to look forward to, which is exactly what people are going to do.

Everyone on this planet is so damn clueless about our own existence, its purpose and wether it even has one or not...that subconsciously they wait and hope for god or something to peel back the sky and say "hello" your intuition was right, life, reality, existence ISNT all about getting up at 6am and doing something you don't want to do for 8 hours for 30 years so you can finaly enjoy a white picket fence in your front yard and finaly get to be involved in your adult childrens lives, since you were gone for most of their actual "childhood"...

I think people are absolutely DESPERATE for someone, something to say..."ya...life isn't all about that and it doesn't have to be"

I know I sure am...
edit on 26-3-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

You lead a very depressing life, don't you?

No, my hopes for 2012 are that mankind won't drive itself extinct. I may be hoping in vain, however.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I dont believe 12-21-2012 is a date of any signifigance will happen, as the mayans used a solor calendar. They never used leapyear nor DLST. I only believe that humans are actually energizing "something"! impossible to chose however if i picked id say financial collapse.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

You lead a very depressing life, don't you?

No, my hopes for 2012 are that mankind won't drive itself extinct. I may be hoping in vain, however.

Way to miss the point...Life doesn't have to = selling your soul/time out for materialistic things....and I personally believe a large portion of people are starting realize and see this as a truth they find appealing.

The notion 2012 could rid them of the mechanizations they have been trapped in since they were born is probably appealing, who wouldn't want to spend more time with their children? Who wouldn't want to spend more time with their loved ones? Who wouldn't want to be passionate about what they are doing with thier life each and every day even if its something different every 10 minutes? I'm speculating this is a deep subconscious appeal to 2012 and its implications wether they be destruction or ascention or whatever...

I think people are growing tired of what has been and what currently is...and because I am tired of that doesn't mean my life is "depressing"...it means there is something left to be desired.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnivoxSuperfuzz
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Chemically we're probably not too far off... Mostly mud, though.

the passing of an age meant the transformation of men

from mud to wood
from wood to amber

so the end of this age is another transformation according to the maya

so if you want to believe that, you have to include the mud, wood and amber thing

can't have just this age without the others

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Life doesn't have to = selling your soul/time out for materialistic things

Ah, but that is how you are forced to survive in today's world, isn't it? Making money to spend money...we are the government's capillaries. I am in no way supporting or promoting this idea; I actually despise it. We are capable of so much more, but have deluded ourselves into settling for this state of existence.

The notion 2012 could rid them of the mechanizations they have been trapped in since they were born is probably appealing

Our nature will never allow that. We have a system that is self-parasitic up to the point it self-destructs. Now, we're stuck in the position of forever staving off the inevitable collapse of government as we know it.

I think people are growing tired of what has been and what currently is

Bingo.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

However, there is no indication the current age is ending or will end. According to Mayan beliefs the previous creations were wiped out because they did not properly venerate the gods. With current creation the gods were happy and there was no indication another creation would be needed. Where people are getting this belief that we are entering a new age is from the Aztec Five Suns prophecy. This states that we are currently living in the Fourth Sun, but as the name implies this world will eventually end and the Fifth Sun will come about. However, the Aztecs never had the Long Count so this prophecy cannot be tied into it in any way. It's sort of amazing how much people will believe without any kind of evidence whatsoever. For example the claim that the Long Count either ends or repeats on 13.0.0.0.0. No one has ever provided data to back up this claim and yet it is at the core of every 2012 theory.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
well i cant speak for other people, but here is why i believe in the 2012 something. because of the sheer evidence. sometimes, you go by the relevance of a story, use evidence, kind of like a detective on a case. where were you at 12 kind of thing. but then, another factor starts emerging after a while. one that most fail to look at but has more relevance to me. i go by a combo of things, obviously the relevance and validity of the story or stories at hand. i look at the amount of reports and in which areas they happen. do these people have contact with eachother? why so similar? and so on. and the second i look at is the history. how long have these reports been going on? and what are the similarities between the old stories and new. the validity of the story has all this factored in. just because ive never seen bigfoot or ufos does not discount the sheer history and volume of alleged contacts. and for the 2012 prophecies, i look at them similarly. maybe it all originated from a source but i dont think its coincidence that most of the oldest, most sacred and secret writings all talk of this year in one form or another. maybe the iching was built back from 2012. maybe there was a mass knowledge that was shared among the population. who knows, but the fact remains that there is just too much crap going on for nothing to happen. we got possible economical collapse. possible WWIII, earth disasters, alignments, discoveries, spiritual awakenings, and on and on and on. so when you ask me if i believe in this 2012 thing? look around you. i absolutely do. but, i am not banking on disaster. i actually think this is gonna be a good thing. i have to because i believe in the power of thought. so believe positive. but know what youre dealing with.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

Except there are no corroborating stories from antiquity. Not even the Maya have any prophecies associated with this date. The I Ching mentions nothing regarding 2012. It is Terrence McKenna's interpretation of the I Ching that mentions December 21, 2012. But the reason he chose this date is because that's the date the 13th baktun ends. It does not however mark the end of the Long Count as many seem to believe for some reason.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Okay, so you're saying we shouldn't believe anything world-changing will happen in 2012? Or any of the following years?

Everything will run the way it has been, until either someone steps up and takes command of the world in a New World government, or everyone gets sick of it and launches a nuclear attack spanning the globe?

Then we're all ****ed.
edit on CMondaypm242451f51America/Chicago26 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I'm not saying nothing world changing will occur. World changing events happen every year. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't expect some cosmic reset button to come along and fix everything for us. There's a reason why I have called 2012 theories some of the most dangerous thoughts out there. In the end they only achieve two things. One is that they will lead to people committing suicide. The other is that belief in these theories leads to apathy. These people can see the world is screwed up but as long as they're expecting something to come along and fix it for them they're not going to do anything. The sooner we an get away from this belief that we don't have to clean up our own mess the sooner we can actually start cleaning up our mess. You may find that depressing but that's the truth. Why should we continue to promote theories whose only achievements are the stifling of of progress? Sure they may give some hope, but it is a false hope.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I'm talking about something that will keep us from a nuclear Armageddon...or some similar fate.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think we can believe in change, but I don't think we should believe in change based on prophecy, or someone's bogus interpretation of something (MAYAN CALENDAR)

That kind of base for the claim really undermines the effort, and for good reason.
edit on 26-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
2012 doom has become a kind of alternative industry , what with so many books, lecture tours , documentaries and even hollywood movies - we now have 2012 doomsday celebrities who all tend to play the circuit - coast 2 coast, rense, freeman tv and project shamelot to name but a few .

Also no matter what a persons religious beliefs - it seems easy enough to tie in 2012 doom with whatever end of days theology your faith subscribes to .

2012 really is ' A doom for all seasons '

you'll know your chain is being pulled when you start to see lecture tours advertised for next year by those who are heavily pushing the ascension / cataclysm theories for this december.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join