It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Explain to Me Why They Believe 2012 Theories?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It just doesn't make sense. We claim to be critical thinkers here and yet many members are throwing their full support behind these 2012 theories with little to no evidence backing them. In my mind all of these claims come from the belief that the Long Count ends this year, but that's not true. In the past I have shown that the Maya placed no significance on this date. I have shown that the Long Count does not end on December 21, 2012, or ever. I have shown that the Five Sun prophecy so often cited is not Mayan in origin, but Aztec. I have shown that the Dresden Codex and the Popol Vuh make not mention of 2012. I have shown that there are no ancient prophecies associated with this date. So can somebody please explain to me why we continue to see a large number of people supporting these 2012 theories? Not only that can somebody explain why we continue to see a number of new 2012 theories all trying to be tied into the Maya in some way? This site is supposed to be about denying ignorance so it just simply confounds me that this remains one of the most popular forums on the site with new theories (not to mention popular) being posted almost every day. This isn't meant to be mocking in anyway, I seriously want to know what keeps people believing with the very core of their being that the world will end/ascend on December 21, 2012.

*Note: I'm not saying nothing will happen in 2012. Things happen every year that have a global impact. What I'm wondering is why do people believe that these events are in some way special or tied to some prophecy.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
when your only given one side of a story, one looks to build up a counter part to the story so they can look at whole picture.

you will find this in every day life. not just us crazies.

edit on 25-3-2012 by omegacorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Nothing will happen will it? Hmph!

What do you think about my prediction?

My prediction

I'd say it's got a good chance.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
reply to post by satron

You are ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by omegacorps

reply to post by satron

You are ridiculous.

How so? I predicted the same thing numerous times and I was never wrong!
edit on 25-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

please explain to me why we continue to see a large number of people supporting these 2012 theories?

Because its exciting for some people. Really , kinda like extreme sport junkies , who need extra boosts of chemicals in the brain to get the same level of high , as say you would , riding a roller coaster lol .

This date has lots of historical references to it in peoples mind, regarldess of its context. 2012 is the last chance for the doomsayers, as after that , any doomsday will be referenced back to 2012 since so many people have , put their names out , It will replace y2k

Linking all the natural disasters and other problems around that world that seem to be increasing , you can't really blame them. Were getting so close to the climax , naturally emotions are stirred and people get jolly , or fearful of it .

But the time will come and pass , and we will all look back and laugh it . (hopefully)

Then maybe it will have a placebo effect around the world markets, economies, ,wars and make everyone chill out , and put the hate on hold for a little bit.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I know I'm not the only one that feels it. It's like electricity in the air!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

reply to post by satron

You are ridiculous.

you should join us on the Quake watch 2012

we would learn a lot form you a recon.

27 right predictions about 1 event only makes 1 prediction, or am i wrong?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I know I'm not the only one that feels it. It's like electricity in the air!

EDIT: *Gasp* The OP can sense the same thing I'm feeling.

There's no such thing as a coincidence, not like this!

s&f for the sentiment

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

You are ridiculous.

you should join us on the Quake watch 2012

we would learn a lot form you a recon.

27 right predictions about 1 event only makes 1 prediction, or am i wrong?

Sorry, but if something big did happen, I'm much more likely to believe that the government was behind it, trying to capitalize on people's ignorance and silly expectations that revolve around 2012.

EDIT:The mayans weren't special people, there's nothing about the solar cycle that states calamity will happen at anytime, if you're scared of the prospect of 2012, why aren't you scarred of the prospect of entering the age of April...IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I believe that something will happen because supposedly on the 21st the earth will be alined with the center of our galaxy. Witch is a massive black hole. I know that celestial body's have a effect on the earth. A black hole is one of the most powerful forces we know of. Imagine living in another galaxy. A non spiral galaxy. Would their still be gravity? Would water still spiral down the toilet bowl?

As far as i know this is what is going to happen.

Earth is represented with E the center of the galaxy is represent by C above the spiral FLAT disk shaped galxy will be A and below it will be B

This is how it is now.

A
E
C
B

This is how it will be

A
CE
B

We are about to aline with one of the most powerful unknown energy's we know of. This calendar just happens to end on the exact date this happens.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
it's the exact same mentality found in blind devotion towards religions, even with a lack of clear evidence and facts.

environment you are brought up in determines your mentality. if you validate your social worth amongst people who talk 2012 all the time as if it were fact, then you will become a carbon copy and spread it to everyone else you can.

a social disease really.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I believe that something will happen because supposedly on the 21st the earth will be alined with the center of our galaxy. Witch is a massive black hole. I know that celestial body's have a effect on the earth. A black hole is one of the most powerful forces we know of. Imagine living in another galaxy. A non spiral galaxy. Would their still be gravity? Would water still spiral down the toilet bowl?

As far as i know this is what is going to happen.

Earth is represented with E the center of the galaxy is represent by C above the spiral FLAT disk shaped galxy will be A and below it will be B

This is how it is now.

A
E
C
B

This is how it will be

A
CE
B

We are about to aline with one of the most powerful unknown energy's we know of. This calendar just happens to end on the exact date this happens.

Look at what little influence the moon has on the Earth, you think some crap light years away is going to effect us? Don't you know that the strength of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance?

Translation: It will be a weak effect, if any.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Massive UFO fly over events, reptilians, the end of the world, 2012 theories, (UFO)lights against a black background with no reference points or observable properties, love, light and the benevolents.

There's a sucker born every minute. There's your answer. Some of us require proof and therefore are skeptic by nature, some are just hopeful and require no proof.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I think it's more than simply being fear junkies though. I have been trying to place what drives these theories for a while now and I believe that it is fear. Not the adrenaline rush one gets from fear, but being afraid of the modern world. They see the state of the modern world and they want a promise that the everything will change soon. I originally thought that people were buying into these theories as a form of escapism. The same way they might read a novel or watch a television show. But I'm starting to think they are going beyond that and actually trying to alter their perception of reality to the point where they will ignore everything that contradicts the reality they've created.

For example, I made a thread the other day talking about the end of the world actually bring in 2027. While I don't actually believe this myself I will say that it has more going for it than 2012 predictions. The Aztec Calendar Round restarts then and they are the culture who created the Five Sun prophecy. Now if people were buying into these predictions simply because of some addiction to being scared you would think that this thread would become popular. However it was widely ignored. My opinion on the reason for this is because it did not predict an imminent date of change throughout the world. So I guess what I'm really looking for is feedback on this view. Do 2012 believers support these theories simply our of hope of the world changing or is there actually a logic behind their fervent beliefs?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I think it's a pipe dream. When 2012 comes and goes excuses will be made and within a few months the next major prediction will be made and eventually you will have numerous people writing books about it and channels producing "documentaries" on it. My best guess is that it will be 2027 as people can pretty much recycle everything they said about 2012. Of course outside of this you will also continue to have the constant predictions about things like Nibiru and the Book of Revelations. While 2012 may have greater global notoriety than other predictions its failure will not affect the business that is the End of the World in any way.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Look at what little influence the moon has on the Earth, you think some crap light years away is going to effect us? Don't you know that the strength of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance?

Translation: It will be a weak effect, if any.
WOW.

The moon has a lot of influence on the Earth. Even though the Earth orbits the Sun, in terms of tidal forces, the Moon has a greater effect than the Sun.

Now the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy has every star, planet, etc. in this galaxy revolving around it. That is billions upon billions of stars alone that are influenced by this thing.

But it's not merely the mysteries of gravity. A black holes' function is largely mysterious as it is, but despite it's overwhelming mass it does other things than just suck in matter and make the galaxy's celestial bodies orbit around it. They eject matter and who knows what else may be ejected from there that we just have not seen yet. To be aligned with the heart of the galaxy may mean something we just didn't know about, because we honestly don't know much. A lot of the work on black holes is theory.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

See it's claims like these that show most people who buy into these theories have done no actual research of their own. The Earth and center of the galaxy are aligned at all times. This is simple geometry. If you have two points they form a line. While it will appear that the Sun is somewhat aligned with the center of the galaxy on this date it is not a unique alignment. It occurs every year and for the past few decades it has occurred on December 21. The best such a alignment on that date occurred in 1998. Since we have been coming closer to having the alignment occur on December 22. This change is due to the wobble of the Earth.

There is also another point worth correcting in your post. The Earth is not on the galactic plane. Best estimates place the solar system having passed through the galactic plane 3 million years ago. This means that it will be another 30-40 million years before we return to the galactic plane. And even then it will take us thousands of years to actually pass through it.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
1000 years from now, some archaeologist will uncover a perfectly preserved Gregorian calender.........probably containing 12 pictures of Justin Beiber (God forbid!) and the masses will claim the world as we know it will end on 31st December 3012....because there is nothing after that date on the calender.

I can't wait for December this year.....I have got so many "I don't want to say I told you so......but I told you so's" saved up it's untrue!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Now the supermassive black hole at the centre of the galaxy has every star, planet, etc. in this galaxy revolving around it. That is billions upon billions of stars alone that are influenced by this thing.

What "super massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy" are you talking about?

Could you provide me with a source for this?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join