It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by blocula
Think about looking at a smooth white wall.We think we see a smooth white wall,but what does that smooth white wall really look like? It is actually comprised of mostly empty space,with billions of atoms,protons, neutrons,electrons and quarks all flying,soaring,spinning and vibrating helter skelter and yet we see none of that going on,we see none of them when we look at that smooth white wall with our eyes,because our eyes are only light receptors,our eyes are not capable of sight,our eyes dont see anything and so in reality,that smooth white wall is just a comfortable and convenient image formed within our brains,a version of reality that isnt real,that smooth white wall does not really exist, it is an illusion and so is everything else we think we are seeing with our eyes,that dont really see anything at all...
edit on 3-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Talk about flogging a rotting, dead horse...what's Your point?
Whats my point?

I have several incredibly astounding and profoundly mind blowing points...

Our eyes dont see anything...

Everything we think we are looking at in this reality doesnt exist...

This entire universe only exists within our minds and nowhere else,it isnt real,its an illusion...

The images we think we are looking at in this reality,every person,every object,every single thing we think we are seeing,are images formed and taking place within our brains,not within our eyes...

Our eyes are only light receptors...

Our eyes are not capable of sight...

Our eyes dont see anything,seriously,think about that,our eyes dont see anything...

Even our perceived senses of taste,touch,hearing and smell only exist inside our brains,are only happening within our minds and nowhere else,they are not really real...

Nothing is real...Wow...Nothing is real...

This seemingly materialistic existence we call life is not real,its an illusion that doesnt really exist...

A three dimensional movie only showing in the theater of our minds...

Even birth and death are not real,even they are illusions...

All is illusion...Damn...All is illusion...

Some very sharp points indeed,extremely eye opening,totally mind expanding,deeply disturbing and incredibly astonishing to say the least...
edit on 4-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Things come into very close proximity to eachother,but they are never really making contact,they are never actually touching eachother...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
It would seem to me that anyone that believes this kind of woo woo garbage would be willing to put that to the test.
I guess the family I just saw on the news recently that died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep just didn't know how to absorb energy from the field.

Well of course they weren't able to. They were sleeping.
I can't do much of anything when I'm sleeping either.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

So what does that tell you about that nonsense of absorbing energy from the field? If you flood your cells with carbon monoxide while you're awake all the energy of the field is useless.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Our eternal souls originate from another reality,somewhere other than here,the second dimension and we are all simultaneously trapped within this temporary,seemingly materialistic,three dimensional illusion,waiting for the wings of death to ascend us into the fourth dimension...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

But you say it does,

.We think we see a smooth white wall,but what does that smooth white wall really look like? It is actually comprised of mostly empty space,with billions of atoms,protons, neutrons,electrons and quarks all flying,soaring,spinning and vibrating helter skelter

Our eyes are only light receptors... Our eyes are not capable of sight

Not capable of sight?
How Your Eyes Work

Take a moment to locate an object around you. Do you know how you are able to see it? Would you believe that what you are actually seeing are beams of light bouncing off of the object and into your eyes? It is hard to believe, but it is true. The light rays enter the eye through the cornea, which is a thick, transparent protective layer on the surface of your eye. Then the light rays pass through the pupil (the dark circle in the center of your eye) and into the lens.

Light bouncing off of the object, did you see that? The object is there to reflect the light or you could not perceive it. The light is real as well or it could not be reflected.

You're mesmerized by the intellectual equivalent of a disco ball. Do you stare at shiny objects?

Let's end this now. Post a video of you walking through a solid wall.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Our eternal souls originate from another reality,somewhere other than here,the second dimension and we are all simultaneously trapped within this temporary,seemingly materialistic,three dimensional illusion,waiting for the wings of death to ascend us into the fourth dimension...

Where did this come from? Some of that may be true or maybe not, but it is an opinion and no more. You can wait for the wings of death, I've got things to do.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

umm... wow, i hope you arent trying to recruit people to your thinking and start calling your movement the "peoples temple", i hope im wrong jimmy?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I didn't read the other posts, but if I may. If everything is an illusion and happens in our brain, what do you think happens when we "die", and how do you live your life?

If everything is an illusion should we just live life to the fullest as they say. Just indulge in every pleasure imaginable since we only live once?

You mentioned aliens, angels and other beings. If an atheist just all of a sudden sees an angel, are you saying that an angel didn't actually appear to him, but his mind conjured it up? All the testimonies and stories from all kinds of people reporting seeing ghosts, spirit guides, their etheric body, seeing dead relatives, etc it's all in their mind so they shoudent worry about it nor change their lives or anything?

Thanks.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

A mind capable of -receiving- reality signals and forming a perspective on them (an opinion, a unique angle) is NOT the same thing as a mind that -creates- the reality signals AND forms a perspective on them. In the former case, we're like a radio receiver, in the latter, we're like a radio transmitter coupled with a receiver. This is where I am not following you. You say that all of reality is inside the mind. While this is technically true, as it's our mind that gives reality its (subjective) subtext and presence, it's not well supported on all accounts. (i will explain this in the next paragraph(s))

What evidence do we have that all of this reality we know was created by the mind? This means not just creating a perspective but also creating the information that represents the entirety of reality. If we accept what the illusion tells us, then we cannot arrive at the conclusion that our brain creates reality. Our brain simply does not possess the processing power. We have estimated how many atoms are in the brain and how many are in the universe. The observable universe contains about 10^78 to 10^80 atoms. Our brain contains about 1.4 x 10^26 atoms (i googled). That's a vast difference! If we accept this then either our brain itself is deceptive (and an illusion) or reality exists both inside and outside our mind - the majority of which is outside the mind.

I don't think it can be proved that this reality is a simulation or created by the mind unless the creator of this reality intends on letting us know. So this argument is like saying that the moon has a spaghetti monster living in its core. Since nobody can presently go the center of the moon to find out then this argument cannot be falsified. So what use does it have? It's true that when we use reality (read: the illusion) to justify our miscellaneous arguments that it's ultimately limited (unprovable even), but at least the evidence is nearby and not unreachable. For example, special relativity says such and such should happen and we can observe (the illusion) to confirm or deny. When people are faced with two uncertanties like this, they will go with the one that has the most chance of being supported. That's why people will always default on the illusion when creating justifications.

So your argument is kind of like saying there's a god. Most likely unfalsifiable.

When I say that reality is an illusion I mean all sorts of things:
1) ALL reality is a signal that enters our mind (indeed einstein said reality is information)
2) MOST (more than 99%) of classical physics/reality is empty space (quantum space is more like a cloud of possibility, so it cannot be classified as empty in the same kind of way)
3) Perception of time is relative
4) Our own DNA has installed instincts in our body/mind just like it has other animals
5) Our sight forces lines and geometry where they're not present (in my physics book)
6) Our brain assumes reality is hierarchical (this might not always be true?)
7) Etc.

* (2) - random google says all matter of the galaxy would easily fit within the volume of a small fraction of a cubic light year. I am not sure how big the fraction is, but it's probably small. However, this probably assumes our understanding of dark matter/energy is correct.

To picture the size of the universe, I was doing (rough) calculations recently. The numbers said that if the Earth were 60 feet from the sun (1 AU = 60 feet) then Pluto would rest (at its furthest distance) nearly 3000 feet from the sun. The nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, would be over 3100 miles away from the sun. From this I gathered that the star systems are very distant from one another. I also saw that Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way, was almost 2 billion miles away. Puts things into perspective, don't it? And then I found out that the edge of the observable universe is about 33 trillion miles away. This is interesting because it shows that the jump from nearest star system to nearest galaxy is larger than the jump from the nearest galaxy to the edge of the observable universe. I later found out that this observable universe could potentially be a small fraction of the greater universe (because of expansion of space).
edit on 5-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

My X is like a recurring nightmare that manifests itself in reality. So, if I apply that which you have posted ?

I have an illusion, departed from an illusory part of an illusion generator ( my mind ) manifesting itself in my reality, that is really just another illusion that is being percieved by that which is generating the whole damn thing in the first place ( my mind ) ?

So this is where the saying comes from " I am my own worst enemy " ?

I don't believe I would do that to myself because, I like me.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

If everything is an illusion should we just live life to the fullest as they say. Just indulge in every pleasure imaginable since we only live once?

You could, but you will quickly find out that this is not practical, pleasure never lasts. All striving to create pleasure, and then extend that pleasure, is pain. There is pain when we have no pleasure, so we seek pleasure. There is pain in knowing that pleasure will leave, so we strive to extend that pleasure, which is itself pain. There is pain when that pleasure leaves, so we again seek pleasure. It is a vicious circle. Illusion or no illusion, this circle is seen. Illusion or no illusion, you do not want to suffer. Pleasure and pain are one movement. Illusion or no illusion, it is only practical that once someone understands all this, they will seek to transcend that infinite circle. To do that, one cannot go around trying to "indulge in every pleasure imaginable".

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Think about looking at a smooth white wall.We think we see a smooth white wall,but what does that smooth white wall really look like? It is actually comprised of mostly empty space,with billions of atoms,protons, neutrons,electrons and quarks all flying,soaring,spinning and vibrating helter skelter and yet we see none of that going on,we see none of them when we look at that smooth white wall with our eyes,because our eyes are only light receptors,our eyes are not capable of sight,our eyes dont see anything and so in reality,that smooth white wall is just a comfortable and convenient image formed within our brains,a version of reality that isnt real,that smooth white wall does not really exist, it is an illusion and so is everything else we think we are seeing with our eyes,that dont really see anything at all...
edit on 3-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Talk about flogging a rotting, dead horse...what's Your point?
Whats my point?

I have several incredibly astounding and profoundly mind blowing points...

Our eyes dont see anything...

This entire universe only exists within our minds and nowhere else,it isnt real,its an illusion...

The images we think we are looking at in this reality,every person,every object,every single thing we think we are seeing,are images formed and taking place within our brains,not within our eyes...

Our eyes are only light receptors...

Our eyes are not capable of sight...

Our eyes dont see anything,seriously,think about that,our eyes dont see anything...

Even our perceived senses of taste,touch,hearing and smell only exist inside our brains,are only happening within our minds and nowhere else,they are not really real...

This seemingly materialistic existence we call life is not real,its an illusion that doesnt really exist...

A three dimensional movie only showing in the theater of our minds...

Even birth and death are not real,even they are illusions...

All is illusion...Damn...All is illusion...

Some very sharp points indeed,extremely eye opening,totally mind expanding,deeply disturbing and incredibly astonishing to say the least...

As I said...all extremely old news...well done for getting to this point...now incorporate it in a more unified and complete reality view of your own that doesn't see you spouting it as the be all and end all of knowledge...there are many 'steps' that transcend your 'waypoint', and will alter the positions you hold in subtle ways...

A

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Xaphan

Things come into very close proximity to eachother,but they are never really making contact,they are never actually touching eachother...

Irrelevant explanation...in light of your position that nothing exists?!

A

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

No matter what we look at,every single object,every single person,is an image formed inside our brains, not within our eyes,because our eyes are not capable of sight,our eyes dont see anything,they function as light receptors and nothing more,they allow in light and our optic nerves receive and send those light waves and signals into our brains,where those light waves and signals are arranged into our images of reality...

When we look at ourselves in a mirror,we are not seeing what we really look like,we are seeing an image of ourselves formed within our brains,an image that is comfortable and compatible for our brains to deal with and those images are not showing us reality,our reflections are illusions...

The optic nerve transmits visual information from the retina to the brain > en.wikipedia.org...

Our eyes see nothing.Our eyes don't send images to our brains.Images are constructed in our brains based on very simple signals sent from our eyes > www.kenrockwell.com...
edit on 5-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
reply to post by blocula

You mentioned aliens, angels and other beings. If an atheist just all of a sudden sees an angel, are you saying that an angel didn't actually appear to him, but his mind conjured it up?
If four people are simultaneously and unexpectedly confronted with the appearance of an alien being, four people who were born within different cultures,each person will interpret the entity they saw differently, whichever best conforms to whatever enforced belief structure that person happened to be raised within,is the interpretation that person will decide to think and believe and adhere to...

One person will convince themselves to think and believe that it was an angel...

One person will convince themselves to think and believe that it was a demon...

One person will convince themselves to think and believe it was a space alien...

One person will convince themselves to think and believe it was nothing at all...

And in reality,none of them know what they were really looking at...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

No matter what we look at,every single object,every single person,is an image formed inside our brains,

You need to wake up and perceive the illusory aroma of the coffee.

I AM NOT AN IMAGE formed in anyone's brain. You are not reading the words of an imaginary being. I type, you read. To read you must see. To see you need light, SOMETHING to see. Your computer screen is not created by your brain, your perception of it is.

they allow in light and our optic nerves receive and send those light waves and signals into our brains,where those light waves and signals are arranged into our images of reality...

As far as I know that is correct. I've never said anything to the contrary. The problem seems to be that you don't understand what that means. It's as if you've recently encountered some fun facts about vision and have completely misinterpreted your newly acquired knowledge.

Your brain forms an image from light, correct? The light entering your eyes is real, outside of your brain.

That light is reflected from what? Your brain? No, even you don't believe that. It's reflected from real objects that exist whether you do or not. You existed physically before you were even able to perceive your own existence.

I'm still waiting for that video of you walking through a solid wall. It's not really there right? Wear a helmet just in case. Don't want you dinging up that beautiful mind with concussions and such.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is incredible,astounding and terrifying,our eyes dont see anything,this assumed reality is nothing but images of illusions formed from light within our brains.Omg! Where are we? Why are we here? What are we doing? Where do we come from? Where are we going? What is birth? What is life? What is death? Who or what is the master of this invisible existence,invisibly existing all around us? It is so very disheartening and extremely horrifying to realize just how unstable,fragile,temporary,precariously exposed and virtually insignificant humanity actually is and to understand without denial,we dont really know anything...

edit on 6-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

we dont really know anything...

If you believe that then why are you all over this site proclaiming your knowledge?

You can't give a direct response to anyone who disagrees with you. Try it with this. You say our eyes are incapable of sight. What do you think sight is?

WIKI says

Visual perception is the ability to interpret information and surroundings from the effects of visible light reaching the eye. The resulting perception is also known as eyesight, sight, or vision

What say you?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

This is incredible,astounding and terrifying,our eyes dont see anything,this assumed reality is nothing but images of illusions formed from light within our brains.Omg! Where are we? Why are we here? What are we doing? Where do we come from? Where are we going? What is birth? What is life? What is death? Who or what is the master of this invisible existence,invisibly existing all around us? It is so very disheartening and extremely horrifying to realize just how unstable,fragile,temporary,precariously exposed and virtually insignificant humanity actually is and to understand without denial,we dont really know anything...

edit on 6-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Actually what we see in photons bouncing off objects.But thanks to Albert Einstein we know the universe is nothing but energy. Are eyes have adapted to see that energy well a small portion of it anyway.Its not in your head the ability to understand what you see is.Are brains take these random photons bouncing around and allows us use are brain to make sense of all the noise.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join