It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by blocula

I have to go to bed. I'm told it's time to defrag and update the simulation. J/k.

(i think dreams are our brain's method of simulating reality)
edit on 2-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)
We have to fall sleep and we are compelled to without choice,because while we sleep,our brains are being downloaded with new virtual reality data that we upload,without even realizing it and that uploaded data becomes our following days simulated reality experiences > www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-4-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Lots of the OP I agree with however there is a reality, and we do share a reality as well, and the things that we experience, ie our Family and memories are real as well. Its not just some meaningless bubble of consciousness having a kind of meaningless delusional reaction to some cosmic substance. We're here for lessons and to grow our soul orbs bigger, or shine up the darker spots, overcome our weaknesses.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

It's a nice theory, but you realize that's all it's.

You know... I get the sense that I understand where you're coming from. Reality is a sh**hole when you're straight with all of it and don't embellish. One way to deal with it is to pretend somehow that it's not real. It's like when you were a kid sleeping in your bed at night and shadows were playing on the wall or muffled sounds were tickling your ears from outside. What I did was imagine daffy duck or bugs bunny coming into the room and being ignorant of the danger. Or i'd just cover my face with the covers and concentrate on something else. If I got really scared I'd rebuke it in the name of Jesus. But all of it was similar in that my imagination was distorting reality in an attempt to make it more acceptable to me.

When things go bump in the night...

I'm not trying to be patronizing. I sometimes wonder if this is all a scam too. I also don't like seeing all the death and misery in the world. We've all adapted to death and destruction and we oddly think it's good for us. We couldn't survive in a world without death and destruction because we haven't adapted to that. I feel helpless. I also want a way to deal with all of it. I want to think that death isn't as dangerous or permanent as I fear. I imagine scenarios where everything isn't so bad after all. But when it's all said and done, I have to admit that life really is a scary place and that turning away from the truth may calm my mind but it does nothing to rid the world of the original cause of the anguish.

What's the truth? Well I think that this is survival of the fittest. Death is permanent. What we see happening to lower lifeforms is also happening to us. There's no way out of this except through our own inventiveness. If we want an afterlife, for example, we'll have to make it and cannot depend on somebody else to make it. And this doesn't mean inventing a ficticious heaven in our mind because that doesn't address the cause of the anguish and is no better than any other trick we play on ourselves. To do this we'll have to create the knowledge and technology. None of it will invent itself and lay happily waiting for us. All of the things we tell our kids about earning tehir wages and being responsible are true for this case too and most others. Nothing in this universe is guaranteed and nothing comes easy. If we have a dream or a desire we have to be real and bare the burden of every natural law and authority in place.

But for your benefit, I'll feed you some speculation:
I don't believe a god would put us through this, so that's one reason I don't believe in a god. It's some kind of uncontrolled, decentralized thing with a strong amount of competition and friction and trial and error. I believe our placement here is random because if it weren't then I believe we're either (broadly speaking) prisoners or we voluntarily came here for some reason we've been inclined to forget. Who among us chose to be here? I don't think anybody can honestly answer in the affirmative. If we voluntary had our memories wiped then maybe we're masochists that desire the conflicted nature of this world. If we're prisoners then maybe we choose to forget to make the best of our circumstance. But who owns the prison? This suggests some sort of god, but it could just as easily be a more righteous equal to ourselves. It could also be a less than holy group of creators that're unmoved by our tribulations. But all of this is quite complicated. It's easier to just think we were randomly put here by a nature program.

But remember speculations are just speculations, not reality.

I like this quote:

"The human brain may be reverse-engineered in 20 years, but I imagine it will still take several thousand more years to reverse-engineer the religious brain, since it doesn't run on logic." - Unsure of source

edit on 2-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I have two daughters, at least I think I do...

Very good, you have given rise to life. How exactly you could have come to the "realization" that life is an illusion, or a hologram, after being blessed with two daughters is beyond me. Birth is one of those miraculous moments in life where I achieve an eternal, but ephemeral, clarity and know that this is real.

It's hard for me to try and wrap my head around my own words...

This is called doubt, and it is the single greatest asset you could ever acquire.

Doubt is the beginning of all wisdom and understanding. When wisdom and understanding are fostered, knowledge is gained. Knowledge allows us to test, and comprehend the universe at large. When we're capable of testing the universe at large, we're able to arrive at truth.

And, isn't truth the ultimate goal of all philosophy, metaphysics, religion, and spirituality?

You are doubting the legitimacy of the Holographic Universe philosophy, because something experiential has occurred in your life—you have two daughters which you helped create—which has caused you to doubt the claims of the Holographic Universe.

If you're brave, and strong, and really invested in knowing the truth, the only thing to do is follow those seeds of doubt wherever they lead, as the truth is the truth, whether it feels good, or not.

Good luck, Blocula.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I don't think I've ever sat down and asked you: "how does this work?"

Lots of the OP I agree with however there is a reality, and we do share a reality as well

The original post states that all of reality is a projection of the conscious stimuli which we take in. Your stance that you agree with this... but there is still a solid reality... is a cop-out. You cannot say: "I agree, all of reality is a mental projection... but reality is still a real thing." The statement is a contradiction, and does not make logical sense.

So: "how does this work?"

Its not just some meaningless bubble of consciousness having a kind of meaningless delusional reaction to some cosmic substance

Actually, the Holographic Universe philosophy does kind of suggest this.

The whole underlying premise, is that existence is a reflection of already-non-existent things, which were sucked into a universal black hole. Reality, as we know and perceive it, is like an echo down an empty corridor; not the source of sound itself, but ever more faint reminders of what once was, but no more is, and soon shall not be.

So: "how does this work?"

We're here for lessons and to grow our soul orbs bigger

What is a "soul orb?"
What does it look like?
What is it composed of?
What color is it?
How do you know it exists?
How does it function?
Where did it come from?
Where is it located currently?

or shine up the darker spots, overcome our weaknesses

This is extremely superficial you know. Believing that trials, obstacles, hardships, and difficulties are not worth retaining. It is only an unbalanced "soul orb" (whatever that may be) which seeks to only be composed of good memories, happy times, and easy living. Those "dark spots" and "weaknesses" are what constitutes being human, mortal, moral, ethical, and alive. Remove them, and you lose any semblance of being a conscious, moral, ethical being.

What would ever make you want to "buff out" the way it felt to lose a loved one? Why would you ever want to "overcome" your fear of watching your children murdered? If you teach yourself not to feel pain, then you will only hurt yourself beyond repair because you never stop to acknowledge that something is wrong.

This is such a selfish, ego-based philosophy which fails to acknowledge the whole of human experience. I am sorry you think only half of life is worth living.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Is this a Zen thread?
Or is it a guide to motor cycle maintenance?

It's more like this kind of thread:

These kind of "Reality isn't real" threads pop up every once in awhile.

They are, in essence, a form of pseudo-intellectual/philosophical masturbation, with the ultimate goal of global nihilism, possibly for the purposes of deliberately inducing mass apathy in the populous.

The fundamental, and foundational concept that these pseudo-intellectuals fail to grasp, is that perception PRESUPPOSES something that one is perceiving.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

There are singularities at the centre of black holes.A black hole is an informational phenomenon.A black holes central singularity is an informational singularity.So our universe is a black hole and its informational centre is the earth's biosphere? < Wow...Damn?!?!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

The Holographic Universe theory does suggest that life is a projection, the last bits of light swirling around the Event Horizon of a black hole. By this theory, yes, our biosphere, the atmosphere, the noosphere, the stratosphere, the universe at large, is purely informational, and not physical as we consciously have been trained to understand physicality. That does not suggest any type of "matrix," or the need for an escape plan. Instead, it should act as gravity upon your mind. Centering you, leading you to the conclusion that life is without meaning or purpose, creation or direction, because life is merely the last desperate gasps of a dying universal consciousness. We are the death-hallucination of the cosmos.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by blocula

The Holographic Universe theory...should act as gravity upon your mind. Centering you, leading you to the conclusion that life is without meaning or purpose, creation or direction, because life is merely the last desperate gasps of a dying universal consciousness. We are the death-hallucination of the cosmos.

~ Wandering Scribe

Whether you are correct or...otherwise -- this is certainly an interesting "view".

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Nice comments.

There's a lot of debate about whether suffering is good or bad for people. Some say it makes us stronger and more mindful of things. Some say it's a hostage situation and shouldn't remain. But one thing I think is true, and that's there's no better exercise than running from a hungry lion. And without pain, I think reality loses its persistence. I mean, without pain, what reason is there to fear our actions and their consequences? Whether the pain is physical or emotional, it keeps our choices meaningful as we must pay heed to them. But how much pain do we need to keep us in the straight and narrow?

What doesn't kill me in its attempts, makes me stronger. It increases my survival ability.

So by embracing the pain that's around us, we can overcome. But how far is too far? How tough are we?

What if my close friend fails to survive one of life's trials? I will learn from it. It will make me better. My friend's loss will not be in vain. The pain of his loss cannot be ignored. It forces me to act on his behalf.

Behind every success story is a trail of loss and pain, and last, but not least, triumph.
edit on 12-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I believe nature is more then fractal like. There are a couple of scientist that went to some remote jungle and calculated the growth of ALL the trees from one single tree.
Also I believe that a fractal pattern exists and we are all part of it. Something we cant understand yet because we can only go to the Planck level and scientist say that is as small as it gets...
I understand what you are saying about procedurally generated noise, I too work with programs that generate these things on the fly (I do textures and 3d), but meant something very small.

If particles vibrate they create order...en.wikipedia.org...
Imagine this on various scales all effecting one another all the way from Planck to the universe... now apply this to everything , now everything is a vibration. Remove a small part from a bottom layer, this will effect everything all the way through each scale. A simple change on the bottom scale would appear extremely complex to the top scale.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

That's very interesting. Unfortunately, most of it's beyond me.

I watched this video recently:
I would argue that this is somehow related to what you were describing. As I understand it, physical matter has a quantum nature, but it's so immeasurable that we can't detect it. Everything becomes discrete (deterministic) when the quantum wave function collapses. I think they call the process of collapse Quantum Decoherence. What I say here does not mean I understand any of this. I am not a scientist. I am kind of like a painter that throws paint onto a canvas or a mechanic that unscrews something to see what happens. I think nature is like this. It throws paint on the wall until some of the paint forms words or recognizable shapes. Because we ourselves are made to see these words and shapes, and are ourselves a result of this process, we immediately recognize them. Is everything just globs of paint on the wall?

What does this mean:
www.wired.com ...

I don't pretend to know. But like a painter that.... well.... I favorite these sorts of things randomly.

I also think that my own background in computers distorts my perception of reality. I mean, you ask a mechanic what reality is and he says a radiator. You ask a physicist, and he says a singularity on the edge of a black hole. You ask a indy car racer and he says it's like a circuit, a very fast one. You ask a teacher and it's like a big school. You ask a chemist, and it's like the big bang. You ask a computer programmer, and it's like a program running on a computer. You get the idea of what I'm saying? We're all biased.
edit on 13-4-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Nice comments.

There's a lot of debate about whether suffering is good or bad for people. Some say it makes us stronger and more mindful of things. Some say it's a hostage situation and shouldn't remain. But one thing I think is true, and that's there's no better exercise than running from a hungry lion. And without pain, I think reality loses its persistence. I mean, without pain, what reason is there to fear our actions and their consequences?
I sometimes think and believe that the only reason we are here,the only reason our souls are temporarily trapped here and the only reason we think we are are,is to suffer and feel pain,because whoever or whatever has imprisoned us all within this materialistic illusion wants us to feel pain.But that whoever or whatever knows it cant keep us here forever and it doesnt like to let go of us easy and thats why so many people die violent and horrible deaths...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Nice comments.

There's a lot of debate about whether suffering is good or bad for people. Some say it makes us stronger and more mindful of things. Some say it's a hostage situation and shouldn't remain. But one thing I think is true, and that's there's no better exercise than running from a hungry lion. And without pain, I think reality loses its persistence. I mean, without pain, what reason is there to fear our actions and their consequences?
I sometimes think and believe that the only reason we are here,the only reason our souls are temporarily trapped here and the only reason we think we are are,is to suffer and feel pain,because whoever or whatever has imprisoned us all within this materialistic illusion wants us to feel pain.But that whoever or whatever knows it cant keep us here forever and it doesnt like to let go of us easy and thats why so many people die violent and horrible deaths...

Man, what a world it must be for you.

Sh*t.

We're here - every one of us - because we won the existential lottery, and this is how we develop into the fully viable human being that will (after this specific gestational stage) emerge like a butterfly from a cocoon, and either fly away or submit to whatever malignant prison-hell has been constructed from our own twisted imaginations, by the eager inspirations of tragically delusional story tellers and their dramatic renderings. This "matrix hell" notion seems to have gained ground on the old Satan/Hell/Lake of Fire notion that's quickly losing ground in the more enlightened and educated segments of modern society, but it's not all that dissimilar in its requirement that we all fear our own lives and the phase of life that's to follow.

You are so friggin' lucky to be aware and ultimately indestructible, but the percentages suggest (if your posts are any indication) that you'll be carrion for some malevolent human being and its freakshow parlor pastime when you initially cross to the eternal realm. It'll pass, but if you don't learn from that experience, then you'll be traded like prison cigarettes to some other bored human psycho when your first boss gets tired of you. And it'll all be solely because you filled your mind with expectations of brutal masters and human slaves that hover all around you and wait to eat what they can of you.

Maybe you see this sort of belief system as heroic - in a Video Gamer sense of what heroic means - but if you never get reality nailed down in even a basic sense of real versus impossible, then you'll be easy meat for the real monsters that sit just beyond your last heartbeat. They're human, just like you. But unlike you, they know exactly what's real and what's not real. And they know that you have no idea what anything is or isn't, and (even better for them) you have no interest in learning what's real. You don't even believe that real exists.

Man, they love people like you.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Think about it this way,because this is reality.The only thing our eyes see is light.Everthing else we think we see,everything else we seem to be looking at,only really exists within or minds and is only happeneing within our brains and nowhere else...Wow...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

So this blind man walks into a bar. Why would he then need stitches?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This is incredible,amazing and disturbing,but it is reality.The only thing we see with our eyes is light and nothing else,because the only thing entering our eyes is light and everything else we look at and see are only images arranged,processed and formed inside our brains.Unbelievable,yet,very true and thats why this reality of ours is an illusion existing within our minds...
edit on 27-4-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Reality is apparently beyond your grasp. A blind person is not subject to any illusion caused by visual perception yet is still affected by physical contact with matter in reality. This grand illusion theory is your grand delusion.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

As i said above,it is disturbing and so what reality actually is,will disturb a lot of people.Because the unforgiving fact that everything we see,hear,taste,touch and smell is taking place within our brains and nowhere else,represents a brutal truth too horible for most people to face and so denying and ridiculing it is easier for them to live with...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by reficul
buddy, you either should take a crash course in quantum physics to understand that every thing is just vibrations of light,and doesn't exist until we look for it,or a crash course in philosophy to realize 'i think,therefore i am.
pick one,and stop rambleing on!
The light, quantum physics, vibrations and philosophy you mentioned were all fabricated inside our brains,because they were fabricated by our brains and thats the only place they have ever existed and thats the only place they ever will really exist,because they are not real and nothing else is real either,all is illusion...
edit on 25-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

your idea that "Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else" ... has one giant hole.

where's the line drawn?...

meaning.. if the ATOMS that are OUTSIDE of my brain.. are .. imagined by my brain... like you say.. then what about the atoms INSIDE MY BRAIN that makeup the neurons that cause me to think ?..

are you following me here?...

if everything made of atoms is just what we create with our brains.. then the atoms that make up our brains are created by our brain?

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

OP - ...awaiting recognition that you're seen my absolute annihilation of your course of logic....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join