It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC Nightline Falsely Reports Zimmerman "a white man" who shot a black man

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by satron
A lot of Hispanics do identify themselves as Caucasian. Just saying.

They don't "identify" themselves as Caucasian...they are Caucasian.

Hispanic is not a race...it's an ethnicity.

I don't expect most people here to comprehend this.
lmfao.....since when do hispanics call them selves white......oh my god .....you are a joke

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
This seems like a thread posted to deliberately start a war.

Technically, the guy is Caucasoid.
i got your cockazoid hangin......

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Are you kidding me?

Those articles completely refute the idea that Martin was the aggressor. Either you were joking or you have NO reading comprehension at all. One of those links is to a page that has one paragraph that says the justice department didn't think he can be charged. It has no sources,.no quotes and is surrounded by spam links.

FAIL

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by leperlord

He said ”identify” not ”call”. Government forms do not have a ”hispanic” option. It's either ”white, not of hispanic origin” or ”white, of hispanic origin”.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

The ONLY thing that matters to the majority of people is that justice be served and that we as Americans never let it be okay for a child to be gunned down in the street for wearing a hoodie and carrying candy and iced tea.

So what can we conclude from what I just quoted from you, if justice is not served due to the lack of substantial evidence?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe
reply to post by thehoneycomb

If spanish people from Spain are white, then their countrymen who migrated to the Americas are also white.

Zimmerman may not have blond hair and blue eyes, but I am sure he considers himself white like many other Europeans who have come to America. You don't have to look Nordic to be considered white in the US. If that were true, many easteran europeans, greeks, italians, and middle easterners would have to check the "black" or "mixed race" box on employment applications.

But he's not from Spain. He's half Peruvian and does not look one bit at all what society would call a "white guy". He's only white now because it's convenient to stir up the masses.

I'd bet anything that before this, nobody ever called him a white guy.

I'm not debating that scientifically or categorically he may be Caucasoid. Guess who else would fall into that category: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Ricardo Montalban, think any of them were ever called a white guy? Well they are/were Caucasian? And that is the argument for calling Zimmerman white. He's white now because it can make the headlines and the anti-gun agenda can gain momentum.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

According to many reports there is enough evidence.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

White/Caucasian = race
Hispanic/Latino = ethnicity

White people can be from many ethnicities, including Hispanic. Myself included. Just as Hispanics can be of different races. This is not hard to understand. What is your problem?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Audio or Visual evidence? If audio is all we really have to rely on, that won't go far if this issue goes to court.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Check out the criminal records in the United States. Hispanics are placed into the "Caucasian" bracket. Why? You tell me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Both.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom

Check out the criminal records in the United States. Hispanics are placed into the "Caucasian" bracket. Why? You tell me.

www.prisonpolicy.org...

There are not Caucasian or Latino brackets

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Both.

Ok, unless this event was video taped, then that would make it valid for both to be used. Eyewitnesses should of video taped what was going on, so that the D.A can build a stronger case. So all we really have is audio, correct?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jaguarsky

White/Caucasian = race Hispanic/Latino = ethnicity White people can be from many ethnicities, including Hispanic. Myself included. Just as Hispanics can be of different races. This is not hard to understand. What is your problem?

i've refuted this three times, but no one seems to read.

white is not the same as caucasian. "white" is based primarily on skin tones, caucasian is based on geographical location. not the same thing.

under the catagory "white" there are a few subcatagories such as "italian, german, irish, english, hispanic, latino, spanish".

calling the shooter "caucasian" is correct, but most people (yourself included) don't realize white and caucasian are two different things and think they are the same.

the news articles say "african american" for the boy, so it must be juxtaposed with "hispanic american" to be correct. it is incorrect to do otherwise.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

What does it matter if he isn't "white" (whatever that means - see about a dozen of my posts in the "White people discrimination" and "Intermarriage" threads in the Social Issues section if you want a cursory intro to what I'm talking about).

Racism - or rather, discrimination based on someone's appearance due to their ethnic background (relating to their inherent physical characteristics) and/or cultural background (relating to how they dress, act or speak) - can occur between any two self-aligning groups of people. Zimmerman, though a German name, could also be Jewish and he even if he does "look hispanic" (whatever that means), he could still be "white".

I was annoyed when CNN was trying to strip the audio from his 911 call the other day, trying to see if he was saying "F*#%ing Coons". What does it matter? That's focusing on moot issues. The real issue should revolve around why he took the kids life over such suspicions. The dialogue should really address why it is we feel we need to codify self-defense (as though it weren't a natural, human - or any animal - reaction to a threatening situation and just why it was that this man was so whipped up in hysteria over suburban crime in effing SANFORD, Florida, that he went on to kill the object of his hysteria.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by visual...my mind just went to eyewitness...no there's no video, obviously.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This OP is ridiculous. Hispanic has never been a race unless you are ignorant or racist.
In fact the only country I have ever heard of that has people that consider Hispanics non white is the US.
Are Italians white? Well of course they are.French people White?

How about we compare whites from different countries?

Martin Sheen / Hispanic. Not white according to some here.
www.atvn.org...

Sal Mineo / White.
www.wordandfilm.com...

A random guy white Hispanic
clipperdarrell.files.wordpress.com...

A regular guy Italian. White
images.football.co.uk...

More Italians
www.mirror.co.uk...

More Hispanics
upload.wikimedia.org...

Hispanics cover the racial spectrum from blond with blue or green eyes to black as coal.
Italians cover the racial spectrum from blond with blue or green eyes to black as coal.
Americans cover the racial spectrum from blond with blue or green eyes to black as coal.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsgurg / White
democratic-republicans.us...

French President Sarkozy / White
i.telegraph.co.uk...

Obviously there is a difference between nationality and race.
Only racists, bigots, and ignorant people fail to understand this.

edit on 23-3-2012 by ziggystrange because: typo

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by satron
A lot of Hispanics do identify themselves as Caucasian. Just saying.

They don't "identify" themselves as Caucasian...they are Caucasian.

Hispanic is not a race...it's an ethnicity.

I don't expect most people here to comprehend this.

There is only one race: THE HUMAN RACE.

Let's stop with this nonsense!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
This was on Nightline last night, an open faced lie meant to divide and fuel the race issues and Gun issues in America. Of course there has been a number of blacks who have gone to the street in protest, but have they been given or considered all the facts regarding the case, or are they purposely being lied to by the left winged media to serve an agenda.

abcnews.go.com...

Watch the first video from last night on this case, you will only have to watch the first 20 seconds or so to hear the lie.
What's the lie?
this a-hole murdered a teenager and should be put away for life.
What are "all the facts"?
ATS is embarrassing sometimes

Black people have every right to be pissed off given the history of this country, and how it treats minorities
edit on 23-3-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by leperlord

Apparently we need to review our definitions:

Spanish (1) - also known as Castillian (castellano) a language originating in the central plateau of the Iberian Peninsula in Europe where the Crown of Castilla centered its political control and the contemporary nation of Spain sits.

Spanish (2) - synonymous with Spaniard - a person living in Spain who has - to a varying degree - a mix of Celtic, Roman, Greek, Germanic (Gothic), Jewish (Sephardic), Basque (Aboriginals, so to speak, of Spain), Moorish (North African/Arab) background.

Hispanic - a blanket term used to refer to those people who live in and/or come from historically, culturally, ethnically, and linguistically related areas (though not necessarily all of those categories) to colonial possessions held by the Spanish Crown.

Culturally and Linguistically, most Latin American nations speak a language (at least officially) that is a descendant of Latin (see Latino - Spanish, Portuguese, French). Some Latin American nations had Slavery (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Brazil) at a high rate, which lends itself to "Hispanics" with African backgrounds.

All nations had a high population of Native American tribes and many still have a large portion of the population that either identifies as full-blooded or mestico (Mexico, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, El Salvador), in which case - insofar as Native American tribes can be ethnically "similar" (or culturally for that matter) - you would say some Hispanics are "Native American".

All Latin American nations have gone through immigration during and post-colonization. Some nations have had a large amount of German, Polish, Ukranian, Hungarian, Italian, Irish and French immigration (Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay); Some have had a large amount of Jewish or other Middle Eastern immigration (Brazil, Argentina, Guatemala) and, as far as I know, even one nation received a large bump of fleeing Southern families at the end of the Civil war in the US (Brazil). Based on all this information, many Hispanics (despite the Spanish and Portuguese European ancestry) are also European (many here would say "White") beyond being simply "Hispanic".

Lastly, immigration also stemmed from Asia, where many Japanese (Brazil, Peru), Chinese (Cuba, Peru) and Koreans (Brazil, Bolivia) have fled as early as the early 1900s up until even today. So, likewise, there are many "Hispanics" who could be classified as "Asian". And this is without even touching on the situation in the Philippines.

Latino - often an alternative to Hispanic, focusing on the "Latin" (Roman) heritage of the Spanish language and/or the epithet for the Americas south of the US (including Brazil, despite not being related to the Spanish colonial area and, although excluding Guyana, Jamaica, Belize, Suriname and other islands, sometimes including the former French possessions, such as Haiti and Martinique).

So, now, ask yourself how any of this information helps to decide whether this guy who none of us know was being racist or not in his decision to kill an innocent boy.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join