It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
man sometimes I wonder if it is possible for someone to think so narrow minded and small?

talk about self centered! I probably acted the same way when I was a kid? "I was always right though"

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
more specifically Americas Laws and Morals... which is stated in our Constitution and Deceleration of Independence and also signified by our separation of Church and State.

atheist are in direct konflick with Christians and the founding principals of the United States and our laws and rules... it is all they know of.
I think you need to do more research in this matter. It seems you're claiming that the U.S. is a christian nation founded on christian principles. I hope that's not what you're saying.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

man sometimes I wonder if it is possible for someone to think so narrow minded and small?

talk about self centered! I probably acted the same way when I was a kid? "I was always right though"
Not sure what you're talking about here. Who is saying they are always right? I've never claimed to be right. Yet, I think YOU would claim that you are right in your beliefs. Is that the case, or do you think you could be wrong? Let's find out who is truly narrow minded here.
edit on 23-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

You are using terrible logic!

You can not use a double negative to support your claim of Atheism being a belief system!

"I believe that God does not exist"

Where is the double negative?

You do not "believe something does not exist," you DON'T BELIEVE it exists. It's really that simple! Why are you over complicating it???

"You do not believe something does not exist"

I don't think you are the authority on double negatives.

"I don't believe it exists"

Means the same thing I'm saying, except you make the leap in assuming it means there is a lack of belief, when there is clearly no such thing as a lack in belief in this situation.

The prefix "a" in atheist means without, lacking, or not!
Without theism, lacking theism, NOT THEIST.
We do NOT believe in a god.

Again, you make the leap in assuming it means a lack of belief, when that isn't possible. An atheist today can be a theist tomorrow and vice-versa. At no time is it rational to say their stance was a non-stance.

If you accept that atheist means "without belief, lack of belief", well, then maybe you're not an atheist.

Lack of belief. No belief.

A child, a twig, a rock, a person that was born deaf, dumb and blind, a person born on a remote island cut of from everyone, you.

Which one doesn't belong with the others? (even though they try to convince us they do)

Why do you have such a hard time understanding?

I understand what you are saying very clearly, but you don't understand that is how it really isn't that way.

No one believes in a god when they are born

Only because the notion hadn't crossed their minds. They also don't believe in automobiles, spaceships, computers, McRibs, hair plugs.

and we still don't believe in a God after silly claims are made that there is one.

Yes, I understand, you're saying your mind is like that of a newborn baby.

GOO GOO GA GA

Just because YOU have a belief, does not change our lack of a belief into a belief as well.

It never changed, it always was.

"Our"? What do you mean by that anyway? You guys are holding on to something that isn't there? No, I know what you are talking about:

Your belief
edit on 23-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
]It all depends. There is evidence for evolution. There is evidence for the big bang.

I accept them more or less. They are pretty good theories for the fields they describe. They seem to shore up many questions posed in their respective areas.

Do you believe those things happened, even though there is evidence for it?

I'm pretty satisfied in how they explain events, but do they don't explain it all.. I know that we are still researching in these areas, so I can confidently say that they don't yet explain everything they are supposed to.

You still can't know 100%, imo.

I don't think you can either, there will always be a level of uncertainty involved, no matter how microscopic.

It just depends on how much evidence you have. So with evidence, you could still choose to believe or not.

People that believe in God may say they don't believe in those theories, but I think it's not so much that they don't accept them, as they accept it that there is a greater process in the universe that science can't touch, that makes evolution and the big bang small blips on the screen. I have no problem with that. Listening to people say we were created 6,000 years ago is annoying, but what can be said to convince them otherwise? I'm really not bothered too much by it. I'd rather concentrate on people that have the ability to see the other side and make a decision when faced with new evidence or point of view.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Well, seems like we agree on something.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

more specifically Americas Laws and Morals... which is stated in our Constitution and Deceleration of Independence and also signified by our separation of Church and State.

atheist are in direct konflick with Christians and the founding principals of the United States and our laws and rules... it is all they know of.
I think you need to do more research in this matter. It seems you're claiming that the U.S. is a christian nation founded on christian principles. I hope that's not what you're saying.

what other words would you like to try to put in my mouth to further get off the topic?

atheism is silly... the consciousness that is in the minds of men are running America, this conscience was tendered with Christianity.

In America you are free to believe anything you like... the Christian church is not running the show here and just like atheism they can not address the Supreme Court as a Religious institution no more! as it is with every other religion.

We have separated ourselves from the Church .. but it still leaves that question of where we got these principles from...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
100% of the Nations Constitutions of the World and each nation that has a Declaration is derived and based on Theism.

Atheism does not have any unions or establishments, in fact I would argue that they are anti-establishment.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

what other words would you like to try to put in my mouth to further get off the topic?
Can you show me where I put words in your mouth? I was asking if that was what you were saying, I didn't say that THAT is what you said.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Can you show me where I put words in your mouth? I was asking if that was what you were saying, I didn't say that THAT is what you said.

can you give me the quote?

what ever you are putting together in your mind is what it is... the evidence for the conclusion that you have come to on your own speaks for itself.

edit on 23-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

what ever you are putting together in your mind is what it is... the evidence for the conclusion that you have come to on your own speaks for itself.
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're saying. Maybe it's because I'm sick and my head is killing me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

and lets try to remember... this discussion is about "Atheism" which is pitted against "Theism"

please man don't go looking like a typical atheist and start attacking one branch of Theism... it just looks small on the stage and kinda weak.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A question for both ideologies: how do you approach the unknowable? I don't mean to sound like Rumsfeld ...lol. How do you approach something that is beyond the realm of current human understanding? Do you simply claim it doesn't exist, or do you attempt to look for it and describe it?

Am I wrong in my assumption that Atheist do not believe in the supernatural?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

"I believe that God does not exist"

Where is the double negative?

Once again, it is I do not believe god exists. There is no belief. You are twisting it. It really is very simple. It is a concept a 5 year old could understand.

"You do not believe something does not exist"

I don't think you are the authority on double negatives.

What? That would mean I believe it exists.

"I don't believe it exists"

Exactly. Now you got it!

Means the same thing I'm saying, except you make the leap in assuming it means there is a lack of belief, when there is clearly no such thing as a lack in belief in this situation.

No it doesn't. One is a belief system (theism) the other is a word used to describe the lack of a belief system (atheism)

Again, you make the leap in assuming it means a lack of belief, when that isn't possible. An atheist today can be a theist tomorrow and vice-versa. At no time is it rational to say their stance was a non-stance.

Sure it is because that's what the prefix "a" means!

If you accept that atheist means "without belief, lack of belief", well, then maybe you're not an atheist.

Really?

athe·ism
noun \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
Definition of ATHEISM
archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity

A child, a twig, a rock, a person that was born deaf, dumb and blind, a person born on a remote island cut of from everyone, you.

Which one doesn't belong with the others? (even though they try to convince us they do)

Just when I thought you started to "get it," you give me this gem. Again, what's so hard to understand? A belief comes from an external source, a disbelief rejects that external source as illogical.

I understand what you are saying very clearly, but you don't understand that is how it really isn't that way.

Except it is, hence "Atheism"
"Without theism"
Without the belief in a god.

Only because the notion hadn't crossed their minds. They also don't believe in automobiles, spaceships, computers, McRibs, hair plugs.

But there is evidence those exist, in which they learn.

Yes, I understand, you're saying your mind is like that of a newborn baby.

GOO GOO GA GA

Says the person who believes in fairy tales!

It never changed, it always was.

Yes, it always was a disbelief. You are arguing the clear meaning of words.
en.wikipedia.org...

I will just let that link speak for itself

"Our"? What do you mean by that anyway? You guys are holding on to something that isn't there? No, I know what you are talking about:

Your belief
edit on 23-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

We are talking about your blatant disregard for the definition of words in order to twist them to fit your irrational statements. extra DIV

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

You either believe in god or you believe that God doesn't exist.

Not true. You forgot answer c. Agnosticism. The only sensible answer to the God question

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Very possible. I don't claim to know that it is a 100% fact that gods do not exist, I just simply do not believe they do. They could, I just do not believe as of now.

That comes very close to the Agnostic position in my book ... We simply don't KNOW (knowing = 100% irrefutable proof), because we don't have enough data to figure out the problem.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
That comes very close to the Agnostic position in my book ... We simply don't KNOW (knowing = 100% irrefutable proof), because we don't have enough data to figure out the problem.

Agnostic is a default position - - depending on the start position.

If you believe there could be a god - - but still question - - because you don't really know.

OR

You Lack Belief in a God - - but know God can not be proven or dis-proven. I don't know because it can't be proven or dis-proven.

Agnostic is not a belief - - only a default position.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

Not true. You forgot answer c. Agnosticism. The only sensible answer to the God question

Or d. - - Lack of Belief is No belief at all.

In saying "I believe that God doesn't exist" - - acknowledge God and Belief.

Lack of Belief in a god/deity - - is simply without belief.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by satron

Or d. - - Lack of Belief is No belief at all.

In saying "I believe that God doesn't exist" - - acknowledge God and Belief.

Lack of Belief in a god/deity - - is simply without belief.

I think satron has correctly shown that "the lack of belief" is not honest. You were exposed to the Christian belief system, but at one point rejected it. Your "brain" is not an empty canvas, there are reasons why you rejected the Christian belief system and replaced it with your own.
edit on 23-3-2012 by AllIsOne because: spelling

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Agnostic is a default position - - depending on the start position.

If you believe there could be a god - - but still question - - because you don't really know.

OR

You Lack Belief in a God - - but know God can not be proven or dis-proven. I don't know because it can't be proven or dis-proven.

Agnostic is not a belief - - only a default position.

Agnosticism deals with knowledge, not belief. When it comes to the God question there is not enough data to irrefutably tip the scale in one direction. Rather than guessing Yes or Now, Agnostics say WE DON'T KNOW.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join