It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by Hydroman
Well, you see that atheists do have a belief system. Atheists don't simply believe that there is no God for no good reason.

Yeah, and the reason is your doctrine. Just like you can ask a theist their reason for believing, and that is a part of their doctrine.
You quoted me as saying something that I did not say. That was your quote, not mine. What is my doctrine again? That there is no credible evidence?

I wouldn't say we, like you know exactly why every atheist is an atheist. I'm sure there are different reasons.
Fair enough.

Because thinking that atheism is a lack of belief is a false notion. It's not possible for someone to say their position isn't anywhere regarding something they've made a position on.

"My position is non-position"
"My opinion is non-opinion"
"My judgement is non-judgement"
"MY theory is non-theory"

It doesn't make sense to say.
Does it makes sense for me to say, "I do not believe your claim"? If so, that's exactly what I'm saying to theists. If not, sorry it doesn't make sense to you.

I think a bit why some atheists claim that their belief is non-belief is because they want to be and feel like they are superior to someone that believes.
That's exactly it, you figured it all out. I have a question. Do you feel superior to someone who believes in a god in whom you do not believe? If not, then why do you think I do?

The superiority isn't real. I can see this in other stereotypical statements that atheists make, like, "Science proves there is no God"
If an atheist says that, they are wrong. As far as I know, it can't be proven. Just as I know you can't prove gods exist.

They obviously don't think too much when saying things like that, so there is another reason they say, and I think it's because they feel good letting those words go across their lips and watching the reaction of the person they are vocalizing to.
I'm not sure if I've heard any say it, but if so, maybe you are correct in your statement.

Many people will just think "Damn, he's probably right" even though they didn't really think about it either. And so a debate was won because of a false statement. Goody! Talk about productive!
Goody goody gumdrops. Anyways, if many people think that, I would say they SHOULD lose the debate because of their idiocy, lol.
edit on 23-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Is it hate? Really?

I don't think there is any doubt Christian's hate Atheists - - - but do Atheists really hate Christians?

I personally think they only hate their affects on government.
No, that's why I put it in quotes. I was repeating what SisyphusRide said, lol sorry for the confusion. But who knows, I'm sure some atheists hate christianity. I can't speak for all of us, right Satron?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Is it hate? Really?

I don't think there is any doubt Christian's hate Atheists - - - but do Atheists really hate Christians?

I personally think they only hate their affects on government.
No, that's why I put it in quotes. I was repeating what SisyphusRide said, lol sorry for the confusion. But who knows, I'm sure some atheists hate christianity. I can't speak for all of us, right Satron?

m'kay

It's really hard to cut the ties.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

[Because thinking that atheism is a lack of belief is a false notion. It's not possible for someone to say their position isn't anywhere regarding something they've made a position on.

Does it not make sense to say:
"I have no position"
"I have no opinion"
"I have no judgement"
"I have no theory"
and finally, "I have no belief"?

Maybe we haven't made a position on it, but a position could be made eventually.

Point in the direction of the nearest god. Where does this god physically live? What does this god look like? Do you have a personal relationship with this god? Can you hear this god speaking to you clearly and concisely and will in no way confuse your thoughts with his/her/its voice? Are you a representative of this god? Can you speak on his/her/its behalf if he/she/it will not speak to me or others? What is this god's purpose, if any? What is this god's plan for humanity, if any? How, when, and where did you find out about this god? How did this god begin existing? How is this god more real than any other god ever mentioned throughout history?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
We dont hate anyone if we are actually christians. Love thy neighbor,as well as thine enemy. We may disagree with others about their beleiefs but such is the gift of free will. But i have to ask..What If you are wrong? Woudnt it be better to cover your bases so to speak? What if something is there and you failed to take a leap and died? If there is nothing there then what have you lost? Nothing because if there is no soul or spirit then you just cease to be. I have to say I respect your arguments though. I just wanted to make you think a bit.
edit on 23-3-2012 by yuppa because: i scrwed up the quote box. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

I don't think a person can muster a belief that isn't there. What kind of god would value someone who faked faith just in case they may be wrong. That is very insincere, and I would have no respect for such a person, let alone a god that would value such hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Atheism is beginning to appear just as fundamental religions, in the sense that they are firm on a belief and are leaving no room for discussion or change. The word that is important here is BELIEF. Everyone has the right to believe in something, and forming groups based around this belief helps to enforce the idea that the belief is RIGHT. To call something silly is to simply disregard one belief so as to support another. Such a sad way to move forward as a human race, kind of like a room full of blind people debating the colour of the carpet. The worst part is, as the fighting continues, these blind people begin to actually kill to defend their choice of colour.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa
But i have to ask..What If you are wrong? Woudnt it be better to cover your bases so to speak? What if something is there and you failed to take a leap and died?
Oh crap, I better believe just in case I'm wrong. Is that what your god wants me to do? Out of fear, start believing? Not out of a desire to know and love him, but out of fear? Now, let me ask you, what if you're wrong? What if Allah is god?

Originally posted by yuppa
If there is nothing there then what have you lost? Nothing because if there is no soul or spirit then you just cease to be. I have to say I respect your arguments though. I just wanted to make you think a bit
I hope I made you think too.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberdaz
Atheism is beginning to appear just as fundamental religions, in the sense that they are firm on a belief and are leaving no room for discussion or change. The word that is important here is BELIEF.

Holy F'N crap!

What the hell does it take?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Atheism is beginning to appear just as fundamental religions, in the sense that they are firm on a belief and are leaving no room for discussion or change. The word that is important here is BELIEF.
Wait, wait, wait. We leave no room for discussion or change? How many pages of discussion have we done here? And show me some good ole credible evidence that gods exist and I will have to change my mind. Now, what would it take for you to change your mind? Could anything change it?

The worst part is, as the fighting continues, these blind people begin to actually kill to defend their choice of colour.
True dat bro, just like christianity and islam has done in the past, and still does today...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Holy F'N crap!

Maybe a good ole fashioned atheistic orgy would change their minds? Just thought I'd throw that out there..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Holy F'N crap!

Maybe a good ole fashioned atheistic orgy would change their minds? Just thought I'd throw that out there..

Or we could stand around and Thump Bibles.

Nah - - I'll meet you at the orgy

Lights Out!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Atheism is beginning to appear just as fundamental religions, in the sense that they are firm on a belief and are leaving no room for discussion or change.

The thing is some religions (christianity and islam in particular) are nothing more than tools for social control – and so once somebody sees religion for what it really is there is no going back – what is seen cannot be unseen sort of thing

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Nah - - I'll meet you at the orgy

Lights Out!
I'm going to wear a sack over my head in case someone accidentally turns the lights on.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

Religion is sillier than atheism. my point? people will worship a flying donut to escape torment after life.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Just remember:

"Forgive them father for they know not what they do."

Religious people are completely incapable of understanding that some people just don't believe.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Annee

Just remember:

"Forgive them father for they know not what they do."

Religious people are completely incapable of understanding that some people just don't believe.

Ya know - - you can be having a very intelligent interesting conversation with someone - - mention Jesus - - they lose their brain. Its like they morph into another person.

Its weird - - has this ever happened to you?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

]You quoted me as saying something that I did not say. That was your quote, not mine. What is my doctrine again? That there is no credible evidence?

I deleted the wrong portion of the quote. But what I did say was a response to what you said, even though I fudged the quote.

Fair enough.

And each person's reason for believing that way is their doctrine. It's not like they can test their assumptions, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure no one can, because we'd be hearing about it non-stop if they did.

Because thinking that atheism is a lack of belief is a false notion. It's not possible for someone to say their position isn't anywhere regarding something they've made a position on.

Does it makes sense for me to say, "I do not believe your claim"? If so, that's exactly what I'm saying to theists. If not, sorry it doesn't make sense to you.

Yeah, it makes sense to say that. But it doesn't make sense to assume that means that you have a non-belief. It just means that you reject the belief of another...for your own belief.

Like I said before, it doesn't make sense to say that you have a lack of belief (non-position, non-theory) When you were originally exposed to the idea, the notion went through your brain and you accepted the notion or accepted the opposite notion, depending on your life experience at the time. But you still have the ability to switch your stance at any given time.

Saying you have a non-position on a notion is only true if no one mentioned the said notion to you.

Saying you have a lack of belief is just your belief, but that's not really how it works. That idea isn't reality.

Why should I make sense of something that isn't happening and reject the process that is happening? Maybe if I was an atheist that believed my position was shakey, I'd accept it.

I guess that is a part of atheist dogma. Well, I won't say it's a part of all, just the fundy type dogma.

That's exactly it, you figured it all out. I have a question. Do you feel superior to someone who believes in a god in whom you do not believe?

No I do not. If they are still going on about how the Earth is the center of the universe, I might feel sorry for them and they might be kind of annoying, but I won't feel superior.

If not, then why do you think I do?

I never said you did, I said some atheists. Why? Because people have different reasons why they are atheists.

I'll also go on a limb and say that most of the atheists that want to feel superior is because they felt like they've been hurt by the comments of religious people. This usually happens at a young age. So when they discover that what they were saying was bogus, they retaliate by trying to demean the religious with a mix of good and bad statements about their beliefs. This is also when they start to declare themselves an atheist. And thus their position was partial made because of an emotional appeal.

An irrational atheist, WUT!?

I also think that there is a correlation between wanting to feel superior to theists and saying things that don't make sense, Mr. "Atheism is about a lack of belief"

I could say that about theists, but no. Atheists will pride themselves about being more rational. A lot do, it's the stereotype. So when they hold a false notion and discover that they will throw it out, right? I don't believe they would if it hurts their own believe, much like a lot of theists do.

They hold atheism above rationalism.

Like brothers, atheists and theists. The hard-headed ones, anyway.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If an atheist says that, they are wrong. As far as I know, it can't be proven. Just as I know you can't prove gods exist.

We've got a couple atheists in this thread that claim they know about the existence of God.

I'm not sure if I've heard any say it, but if so, maybe you are correct in your statement.

Of course it's so. Maybe you didn't catch it because you were too busy clapping for them.

Goody goody gumdrops. Anyways, if many people think that, I would say they SHOULD lose the debate because of their idiocy, lol.

So you think someone should come out on top no matter what? Even if what they said was bogus, whether they realized it or not? I'd like to think we can do better than that.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

We've got a couple atheists in this thread that claim they know about the existence of God.

Name them.

Show where they make this claim.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join