It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Does it not make sense to say:
"I have no position"
"I have no opinion"
"I have no judgement"
"I have no theory"
and finally, "I have no belief"?

It makes sense if you are a baby, or someone that just climbed out of your tree.

Maybe we haven't made a position on it, but a position could be made eventually.

No, you made a position on it the first time it reached your ears. The sound vibrations came into the ear canal and were processed into electrical signals that traveled to the auditory cortex and through the associations areas to be translated into thought and to compare the sound to previous experiences. And after a couple seconds, you came to a stance, even if just a primordial one.

You can't tell me this doesn't happen.

If you were born without your senses, you wouldn't be able make a decision whether God exists or not.

That person WOULD have non-belief.

If you think you have a non-belief, you also have magical thinking.

Or maybe your brain is miswired

edit on 23-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Originally posted by Cyberdaz
Atheism is beginning to appear just as fundamental religions, in the sense that they are firm on a belief and are leaving no room for discussion or change.

The thing is some religions (christianity and islam in particular) are nothing more than tools for social control – and so once somebody sees religion for what it really is there is no going back – what is seen cannot be unseen sort of thing

Why don't you include atheism in that list?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Because atheism doesn’t belong on the list

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Everybody has the capacity to rise to the level of their own incompetence.

That means everybody has their hang ups. Religion is a big one.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

The Santa Clause must exist and so does Dragons and Unicorns and Evolution based on that flawed reasoning.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

Because atheism doesn’t belong on the list

No, it belongs in the list because it is social control once it's used to dissuade people from their views in a wide effort. They all are guilty of that.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by satron

The Santa Clause must exist and so does Dragons and Unicorns and Evolution based on that flawed reasoning.

Why must they exist? It's isn't required that they do exist, but you do have a belief once someone told you about it. Doesn't mean it's true or false when the belief can't be properly tested.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

No, it belongs in the list because it is social control once it's used to dissuade people from their views in a wide effort. They all are guilty of that.

Only thing Atheism is doing is taking people out of their indoctrinated hole and let them think for themselves logically without involving magic and blind faith.

Its not like we go door to door, and asking people to convert or the nothingness will smite you

This thread will lose its meaning if the person who invented the word "atheISM" never made it, because all its doing is making the feeble mind of those who want to be controlled force their ideas of what atheism to people who are atheist.

Its like a White guy teaching a Black guy how to be Black. lol

edit on 3/23/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I originally wrote

so once somebody sees religion for what it really is there is no going back

If you are >not< one of the people who sees religion for what it is - then your confusion is understandable

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by satron

Only thing Atheism is doing is taking people out of their indoctrinated hole and let them think for themselves logically without involving magic and blind faith.

And for some reason you can't admit that constitutes as social engineering???

Its not like we go door to door, and asking people to convert or the nothingness will smite you

Atheism is rife in the media and college campuses.

Stop acting like it's not a bigger effort than what you give it. Again, it's reality. Atheists will act like they are the champions of what reality is, as long as it compliments what they believe. Again, atheism is being held higher than rationalism, and reality.

Thank you for fitting my stereotype I spoke about earlier. You have verified what I have stated.

This thread will lose its meaning if the person who invented the word "atheISM" never made it, because all its doing is making the feeble mind of those who want to be controlled force their ideas of what atheism to people who are atheist.

It could be called herpaderp, what does it matter what it's called? You either believe in god or you believe that God doesn't exist.

Would you be happier in a world where God was never mentioned, maybe with you on some tropical island, where you had bowel movements as you walked?

Its like a White guy teaching a Black guy how to be Black. lol

edit on 3/23/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

What is it like to be black, and how is it different from being white?

Actually, I don't really want to know, this has nothing to do with the discussion.

You do have a good imagination, I'll give you that.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

I originally wrote

so once somebody sees religion for what it really is there is no going back

If you are >not< one of the people who sees religion for what it is - then your confusion is understandable

LOL Well, I would have kept that hidden because now you're suggesting that once you're an atheist, you're always an atheist.

Wrong!

People flip back and forth between being atheist, religious and agnostic all the time in any combination.

And that is the reality of the matter. Welcome back to reality. I'm glad I'm here to set it straight for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
i heard that in hell the demon Skeletor dips atheists into vats of boiling hot feces

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
i heard that in hell the demon Skeletor dips atheists into vats of boiling hot feces

That's not true, they have to sit in a room opposite of me, and I tell them how they are wrong...FOR ALL ETERNITY!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Can you imagine if such a place actually existed? Lmao, how cruel would that be.

People have such sick imaginations....luckily God isnt a twisted a sadist and he doesn't keep people alive just to torture them...thats something Serial killers do...and the Obama administration. :p

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

This picture is hilarious

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ok, so let's say I have a belief that gods do not exist. I also have doctrine that I follow that reinforces this belief. Now what?
edit on 23-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Ok, so let's say I have a belief that gods do not exist. I also have doctrine that I follow that reinforces this belief. Now what?
edit on 23-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

You do have the belief that God doesn't exist.

And you do have you're reasons, they aren't fabricated.

If you can improve your belief, then you should strive to do so. Thinking that atheism is a lack of belief isn't an improvement, because it doesn't correlate with reality. It's a false notion.

Something I read an atheist say was something along the lines of "Our position of lack of belief is the strongest point to our position"

That's based on another false notion, that beliefs are somehow superior to others, that they are somehow in competition. But like I said, beliefs don't require evidence, or else they wouldn't be beliefs but knowledge. Beliefs are only as good as they compliment the life of the person believing them.

You can't just hang on to something as 100% fact when talking about a belief, because you're going to set yourself up for failure later. I think I have shown that the notion is silly to think. You would think it would have shaken the guy's position, but why did he even have to say that? Why couldn't he just say that the fact that there is currently no evidence to support the case for God was good enough for him? Probably because it wasn't...for him. He wants to win the war of "I'm right, so you're wrong" with absolute certainty. But that's absurd, because there is no right or wrong, because there is no evidence to consider.

What's next? I don't know. That's for you to figure out.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
But like I said, beliefs don't require evidence, or else they wouldn't be beliefs but knowledge.
So, since I require evidence for gods existing, but do not believe it until I see some credible evidence, what does that mean for me?

Originally posted by satron
You can't just hang on to something as 100% fact when talking about a belief, because you're going to set yourself up for failure later.
Very possible. I don't claim to know that it is a 100% fact that gods do not exist, I just simply do not believe they do. They could, I just do not believe as of now.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I imagine most of us here know more about Christianity than the others, that's why it seems we "concentrate our hate" towards that group.

Is it hate? Really?

I don't think there is any doubt Christian's hate Atheists - - - but do Atheists really hate Christians?

I personally think they only hate their affects on government.

Church and State are separated in our Constitution, this is not the England that we got away from... the Church-State.

I believe alot of people still just don't get how it works around here, if an Astronaut wants to read a prayer in space then the US Government has no jurisdiction in space... that was quoted by the federal courts when the most hated woman in America tried to sue for reading of the bible in space.

it's all about money and circumventing the system... it was easy to do until the Federal Courts not long ago determined and decided that Atheism is a Religion and a Faith... so Atheism can no longer challenge the US Government simply for the purpose of milking money out of them.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the Atheism debate has been to the table I believe in 2008?

their faith is based on anti-faith in which the founding of this country and its ideals are based on and drawn directly from (wait for it...) the "Bible"

who cares what the atheist think their religion is? I will go along with popular opinion of the US Courts in which the rest of the world usually turn to and redraw their laws from... it's over, time to call it something else!

and here you have it right from the gift horses mouth, atheism is questioning authority, tis all it's about... thank God my mom let me stay out late and stuff when I was younger.

you can question anything anyway! only everything that an atheist is is from this woman, kinda sad someone so recent on the timeline is such a role model. Surely nothing compared to Jesus

edit on 23-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join