It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Their is so much that could be said however; when I see this Negro doing what he does the BIG "N" word keeps coming to mind. What a shame. We are one Country, One world but many decide to divide by race. Little boys like him give the black culture a very stereotypical reputation.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Pretty much what im saying is, a black person should be classed as racist if he says "Black Power", the same as a white person would if he said "White Power".
No matter what the words ment years ago, now they are all racist slurs..
The should be no difference, we are all one now, we are one race..
We are no longer living in the 1960's, this is 2012.
We are one and the same.
No matter our color on the outside, on the inside we all look the same..
So is it so hard to be as one??..

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ReleaseThePressure

I totally agree, to my understanding "black power" means preservation of African American culture. It seems even today the prospect of community organizing African Americans scares the bejesus out of some Caucasians. It does not bother me a bit, as long as this "black power" remains non violent toward whites then more power to them. In the grand scheme of things the concept of racism is futile and impractical. People will love who they choose to love, f### who they choose to reproduce with. Lets say a hundred years from now when I am long dead, as well as the rest of the members of this site most likely.

It may very well be a reality of whites being the minority and the emergence of more racially mixed people as well as Hispanics in America. Would i care? Should i care? Not at all. Humans will continue to evolve on this path. Perhaps thousands of years from now humanity will me so mixed in to one color. This is when humanity will have to find a new reason to hate, depending on the conquerors "if they are still in power" who indoctrinated this mind set upon the masses for reasons that are obvious.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Black power generally has a different social context than white power.

Black power = Empower black people

White power = Empower white people over every other race

And even if Obama is president, black people still mostly live in the ghetto and have a higher poverty rate and incarceration rate than other races. So yeah, it isn't 1960 but there is definitely a problem going on with the black community.

I don't think black power is a good thing to say because it will offend a lot of people, as you can see in this thread. And the term is kinda out dated.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Black power generally has a different social context than white power.

Black power = Empower black people

White power = Empower white people over every other race

And even if Obama is president, black people still mostly live in the ghetto and have a higher poverty rate and incarceration rate than other races. So yeah, it isn't 1960 but there is definitely a problem going on with the black community.

I don't think black power is a good thing to say because it will offend a lot of people, as you can see in this thread. And the term is kinda out dated.

It is out dated, and it is going to become a racist remark.
As white people are no better off in some cases.
Over here in ireland alot of whites live in them ghettos, i think that might be the case in lots of places??.
It's no longer the blacks or whatever colour you my be being halt down.
But us all.
and the only power is PEOPLE POWER!!!. Human Power, ya know??.
Its not us against us. even if some people would like to think that..

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129
Pretty much what im saying is, a black person should be classed as racist if he says "Black Power", the same as a white person would if he said "White Power".
We are one and the same.

You make a good point so then whomever came up with the motto second should have changed the wording in order to end the confusion. Question is did the KKK come up with the white power brand first? To my understanding the KKK was around long before the Black Panther party. So I am inclined to think the Panthers must have ripped this from the Klan in a way to mock them? They could have coined the term "black preservation" or something to that effect. It is however socially unacceptable to say _____ power on TV and completely unnecessary. However P diddy has the constituted right to speak whatever banter he chooses. For instance like when the Klan shows up to town for a demonstration speaking horrible things and the police protect them under the constitution . So again people are making a mountain out of an ant hill with this imo. Me thinks it's a publicity stunt. The guy is a smart man and a very successful business man and I am sure he understands what the outcome of this. Perhaps he was overwhelmed with the game and stuck his foot in his mouth? Or pulling a kanye west/taylor swift moment?

He is arrogant though, me thinks his success has gone to his head

I still look at him as Biggie Smalls back up dancer back in 1994

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I need to quit reading this sh*t.... All this thread is, is a excuse for the ignorant losers to be pretend racist....

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

In the USA minorities have a higher rate of incarceration and poverty than whites. There are poor white people but they do not make up the majority. And there are a lot of poverty stricken white people that do not live in the ghetto, they live in small towns that are culturally extremely different than ghettos. And then you have some white people that live in the ghetto as well.

There is a huge difference in ghetto, poor white towns, and suburban culture in the USA.

People power is great and all but a 14 year old black kid that is in a gang isn't going to listen to someone like Mitt Romney (say IF Romney was trying to help anyone, I know he isn't). They just aren't going to buy it, but they would be more likely to be inspired by Oprah or P Diddy because they feel they can relate to them. Because they grew up poor and black.
edit on 27-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Its idiots like P-Diddy that keep those lines between white people and black people. I've noticed quite recently the tendency of black celebrities to almost abuse their positions and seek to cause racial tensions. Sometimes I wonder why people still buy their music or watch their films. I can't bear to imagine what would happen if this were a white person saying "white power".

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
White Power....Fists in the air!

How about reality. People power, lets all work together and take America back. White, Black, Asian, Mexican or what ever race you are. We are all as one. Let's get - R- Done together.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
To me.. A call of "White Power!" sounds as if some black people are about to get strung up.

On the other hand... "Black Power!" Sounds like there's about to be a fun parade.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
One other thing...

Looking back when Notorious Big died "Puff Daddy" rode the coat tails of Christopher Wallace murder out as long as he could and exploited it using the power of sympathy to sell records. I thought it was disgusting and disrespectful. I always felt he used the man and he was behind the east coast vs west coast beef as a driving force that ultimately got Christopher Wallace murdered. There is a conspiracy theory behind the murder but is a whole other topic. Then the club shooting with Jamal Michael Barrow "Shyne" where basically Shyne "puff Daddy's signed artist at the time were involved in a shoot out while trying to defend Puff Daddy. Basically Puff Daddy threw the guy under the buss and Shyne went down for 10 years. Jenifer Lopez left him soon after.

look at this
www.ballerstatus.com...

This is just an example of his character. He always rubbed me wrong, never liked Sean Combs. He always seemed like the used car salesman type. He had the money to get out of trouble. He is the kind of guy that will do anything for a buck in a sense an elitist. Ruthless business man. He was born in to money, he had it easy his whole life. He basically got his record company through his mother. So this new stunt does fit in to his character. He is a user .

Just sayin , my observation

Its all about the benjamins baby

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

Suge Knight is the person that pushed the east-coast west coast thing, not P diddy

Even though P.diddy is a slimy character for some of the things he has done business wise, but he wasn't the driving factor in that.

Shyne shot some girls nose off in a club, I can't really feel bad for him. He easily could have killed her, regardless if he was trying to shoot her or not.
edit on 27-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Oh yeah Shug sure was true, but my point was Puffy was pushing Biggie to "defend bad boy's reputation" through the "beef" more like an enabler however Shug Knight was the main catalyst indeed.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

Originally posted by antonia
Diddy never had rap creditably. I don't think you know much about the guy.

He never wrote anything, he doesn't rap that good at all and he made it there due to being a big drug dealer.
I have no idea how could people like him, oh and it seems he's also a double standard racist.

He also ruined Diddy Kong's name.

He was a damn good hip-hop producer though, back in the day when he rolled with Junior Mafia and Biggy Smalls was still alive (R.I.P). Biggy was an amazing rapper and Sean Combs would be nowhere without him but he was a talented producer.

Just wanted to add that.

P.S I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy is racist, Biggy used to frequently use the term 'White Devils' in his lyrics. I don't know if Diddy is guilty by association but nevertheless, I loved their music.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

But you see none of the coloured people posting in this thread has endured it..
What we are talking about has died out years ago.
And except for maybe a few white people that may still be racist (Are you really telling me some coloured people are not too??), it has all but died out. We have no need for this type of stuff in our day and age,,
edit on 27-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

We don't use the term 'coloured' anymore dude, afterall, is white not a colour?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier

We are one and the same.

You make a good point so then whomever came up with the motto second should have changed the wording in order to end the confusion. Question is did the KKK come up with the white power brand first? To my understanding the KKK was around long before the Black Panther party. So I am inclined to think the Panthers must have ripped this from the Klan in a way to mock them? They could have coined the term "black preservation" or something to that effect. It is however socially unacceptable to say _____ power on TV and completely unnecessary. However P diddy has the constituted right to speak whatever banter he chooses. For instance like when the Klan shows up to town for a demonstration speaking horrible things and the police protect them under the constitution . So again people are making a mountain out of an ant hill with this imo. Me thinks it's a publicity stunt. The guy is a smart man and a very successful business man and I am sure he understands what the outcome of this. Perhaps he was overwhelmed with the game and stuck his foot in his mouth? Or pulling a kanye west/taylor swift moment?

He is arrogant though, me thinks his success has gone to his head

I still look at him as Biggie Smalls back up dancer back in 1994

I give you a star, for such a great post and such a great reply.
whoever came up with it first should not matter in this day and age.
Sure it was the kkk clan, and they where a bunch of racist #s,
But in this day and age, the is no need for Race Power, only People power.
We need to come together as one, for no mater what color you are, we are all in the same place.
We need to stand as one, or fall.
I think thats something the PTB knew long ago, divide and conquer.
But if we can be one, and stand as one we can not fall. i love all my brothers and sisters, no matter the color of their skin, on the inside we are all the same, we are one.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Soldier
One other thing...

Looking back when Notorious Big died "Puff Daddy" rode the coat tails of Christopher Wallace murder out as long as he could and exploited it using the power of sympathy to sell records. I thought it was disgusting and disrespectful. I always felt he used the man and he was behind the east coast vs west coast beef as a driving force that ultimately got Christopher Wallace murdered. There is a conspiracy theory behind the murder but is a whole other topic. Then the club shooting with Jamal Michael Barrow "Shyne" where basically Shyne "puff Daddy's signed artist at the time were involved in a shoot out while trying to defend Puff Daddy. Basically Puff Daddy threw the guy under the buss and Shyne went down for 10 years. Jenifer Lopez left him soon after.

look at this
www.ballerstatus.com...

This is just an example of his character. He always rubbed me wrong, never liked Sean Combs. He always seemed like the used car salesman type. He had the money to get out of trouble. He is the kind of guy that will do anything for a buck in a sense an elitist. Ruthless business man. He was born in to money, he had it easy his whole life. He basically got his record company through his mother. So this new stunt does fit in to his character. He is a user .

Just sayin , my observation

Its all about the benjamins baby

Another star for you, i know its OT, but i feel he had alot got to do with biggies death too. but thats for another topic

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Wow....I have read the entier thread (which I don't usually do when it gets to the point of bickering but I really thought this thread just might get somewhere. And a tip of the hat to the Mods for not shutting it down and let it naturally progress. 'nuff said) So I'm going to face the fire and throw in a piece of wood to join in...bear with me please)

I come from Indian territory/Oklahoma stock and was raised on fried chicken, watermelon, greens, cornbread, fat back, sweet potato pie,and omg the favorite: fried okra you get it.... So you can imagine my surprize in high school when suddenly all the food I grew up on was suddenly snatched away from me and claimed "Soul Food" by black people. (I am assuming it's ok again to say "balck people?" There was alot of confusion then that I have been unable to resolve). I was confused by that claiming...and my first thought was if we are eating the same food, doesn't that imply a similar culture? And if it does, then by claiming it and separating it out (as if whites ate something entirely different) then what does this mean?

Also at that time in high school, suddenly there was Black History Day (which soon became Black History Month)
and I was actually very interested in those classes and at the same time very dismayed that this segment of our combined history had been left out. I took those classes and in those days, there were repercussions btw.
Those were some very volitaile days....the Civil Rights "events" weren't that long ago, the anti war movement was gaining ground, lots of stuff going on. So sine my family came from the south, I asked them about it. Without hesitation, each of my parents, and grandparents said that yes it was rigid back then (I apologize for the vanilla coating to describe the actual experience...but they didn't go into detail. It wasn't anything they wanted to talk about.) You see, my grandparents were poor whites on one side and poor white/"Indian" mix on the other. Both my parents said that in no uncertain terms were they EVER to call a black man anything other than "Mister so and so. So that tradition of respect was a long felt emotion in my family on both sides. .

So now to high school....I went to high school in Oklahoma, California and Indonesia respectively. While in Oklahoma, I remember a black girl I had made friends with. She was shy and sweet, a very nice girl. I lived about three miles out of town, so my mom always picked me up to go home. So one day I noticed this girl was in distress, in her quiet way. When I asked, she said she had no way home and it was at least a three mile walk. I said "well we'll give you a ride". I couldn't understand why she got so upset....but she had no choice. So we gave her a ride home. It was my first understanding of what "across the tracks" meant and I was outraged. Here was this "village" this "town", I don't even know the "proper" term for it because it was NEVER EVER mentioned, but here was this "neighborhood" I guess of black people....probably two-three hundred homes that had we not given her a ride home that day, I would have never known existed. She lived across the road and "down a bit" from my house. She never spoke to me again after that day and I guess I knew it was better to let that sleeping dog lay. But I often think about her.

Then we move back to California and suddenly there's Black History Day (maybe it was Week then, I don't recall)
and Hispanic Day (probably Cinco De Mayo), and Filipino this and Asian that and I'm thinking well if they are all about diversitity, then why isn't the diverse European cultures explored? Anyone who has been to high school gets that western and eastern and northern and southern European cultures are very different. Was it so that as being of European decsent we were all being lumped into a "group" of "white"?

Then we move to Indonesia...a truly diverse high school experience. I'll skip the details but with my background I would ask someone if they knew a person (such as: do you know this person? Long hair, about this color, eyes of this color, about so high, because I didn't want to mention their color as the primary identifying factor! If you knew them, then you knew them!) Invariably they would reply, "what color is he/she?"

I graduated high school in Indonesia in 1975 and this racial conversation has remained an enigma to me to this day.

So lots of years pass and I find myself working in a dept store in Wyoming. I was outside having a smoke break with a balck woman and a black man. Now our training is to report any violation of sexual or racial discrimination. So there the three of us are happily smoking and talking and all of a sudden they start calling each other "Nigga" AND I AM THE ONLY ONE OFFENDED!!!!! Well I had to enjoy the laugh on me cuz there was now way I was going to report that scenario!!!!! And well, maybe I should've. Who knows.

But what I do know is that the more we talk about it the better off we ALL are

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
America rather worship thugs like P-Diddy instead of true smart black men and women. This right here is why black culture is falling apart. Soon as you turn on the TV black channels like BET promote a thug-life style for men and degrade women into ghetto trash existence. American media tells young blacks THIS IS ALL YOU CAN BECOME. A bunch of thugs and/or stereotypical basketball players. American society doesn't want young blacks to advance in any other areas in life.

America is evil. A disgusting evil society that manipulates all cultures into becoming trash. (Ever notice black outside of America don't act like American thug trash? Go to Japan you'll see a few out standing Black people who don't cry or play the shame game). This post sounds cold but I'm just sick of how American society destroys other peoples culture. Soon as a strong minded S-Korean woman comes to America she ends up tainted by America.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join