It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Just weighing in, the term "black power" and its use isn't racist if the sentiment behind it is that black people need to fight for equal rights and treatment along with empowering themselves in order to be better and more responsible as a whole (all groups and individuals should strive for these goals BTW).

If it's used to express "kill whitey" then it's racist, but I think it used far less often with this sentiment in mind.

I'm reminded of a guy I saw on the street about 15 years ago, a punk/skin head kind of guy with a leather jacket...on his shoulder was painted "white power" with a raised white fist and I thought "this moron is going to get killed" ... then he turned around and on the other shoulder was "black power" with a black fist ... I was taken aback because suddenly I no longer thought he was some small minded ass, rather was making a pretty profound statement.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well I guess it would come down to: does a black person want to hear a White person on National TV saying "White Power"??????? Would they consider that Racist, Hell Yes they would. This racist crap gets so old, and Im a middle aged white guy, who could really give a crap what color a person is, as long as they are a good person, and doing good for Humanity, then everyone is equal in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by antonia
but P.Diddy is far from racist. .

The dude didn't pay his massive back taxes and so the government prosecuted.
He's claiming it's because he's black and not because he's delinquent in paying massive taxes.
The guy is a bigot and/or racist.

I googled that just to see and couldn't find a thing.
www.tmz.com...

That was it. So are really just misinformed or something else? Cause I haven't seen one comment from Combs concerning race in that context and i searched pretty thoroughly. Nor is there any record of him being prosecuted by the IRS. I think you might not know what you are talking about.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

No. That's not racist. He's part of a minority. Even though he's using a Black Panther's salute (which was, of course, a militant movement during the fight for civil rights).

However, I am racist when I say "White Power!" and use no salute what so ever. You see, I don't belong to a minority. So, that's the determining factor when observing racist behavior these days.

Glad we could clear that up.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Obviously, I was trying to make a point in the above post.

I think labeling people is just another way of dividing human beings. Whether it's by skin color, religious belief or political affiliation.

Separation causes negative effects and you'll see nothing positive come from it.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As a black man, I say that what Diddy said was racist. He meant it as empowerment, but purely on the statement made, yes it was racist. Also, yes we were enslaved..but, so were lots of other races/cultures. They, at some point, got over it and moved on. Black Americans(and I am one) have not. A lot of us still sit back and blame the white man, or any number of other exterior forces for our internal issues. Yes there's still plenty of racism, both institutional and individual, in business and law enforcement etc. but compared to other people in the world...black folks got it good.

Ask a family in gaza if they get food stamps and GR.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Infra_red

well I am white, and have no media power, so how does that work, or is it a case when a black achieves power, which, erm Mr Diddy has, that all blacks suddenly feel power as some sort of unitary life form

Clearly it doesn't, this is all a load of racist tosh, and people who indulge in it are either patsies for those using group think as a means of power, or those profitting from group think

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LightsideAssassin

good post

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Pro Black.

does not mean "anti" white.

a lot of "truth searchers" in here are quite racist (and sexist)

Makes me wonder if you jumped on the unity- "free ourselves from the powers that be" bandwagon now that your specific piece of the pie has been gobbled up.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
maybee he should have said black pride not black power as there is a big difference between the two
White Pride World Wide

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

hmmmm , makes me wonder about your personal life..but, i'll leave it at that.

The reality is that black people - specifically AFRICAN AMERICANS - paid the cost so that minorites / and other minorities would have "it good" in modern "super power" societies.

Yes - other people have been enslaved - however if you ever read a book on the subject - which I doubt - you would see that the specific form of African enslavement in America was quite unique as it was not indentured servitude, a conquered people, or even two cultures that were familiar with each other. Furthermore, at no other time in history, language, and family of a people purposely wiped out . Even when the great libraries were destroyed , the descendants of those people can still say ; "my family is from Egypt , I'm Egyptian" "I'm Irish" "My great grandpa is from Italy"

Ask your typical African American were their family is from and they will say something to the effect of:
"I don't know...Virgina?"

People think that it was just becuase of MLK's peacful movement that won the civil rights. However, as we can detail on this site more and less in every article ; people in power do not tend to just "give it up" because someone asked nicely.

The "occupation" saw peaceful blacks getting their heads bashed in , and then they saw the ones dressed in all black walking around with guns; and chose the path of least resistance.

Both were needed in order for an oppressed people to gain freedoms , which only happened in the 60s.
So if you think racism, or white priveleage, is dead you must be smoking a little twenty twin twin.

Happy Black History Month!
edit on 27-2-2012 by femalepharoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

He is a moron, but I do like some of his songs...well actually only one of them...gets me good and mad when I am working out at the gym...

He is just another retarded skin suit from Hollywood, maybe a racist maybe not, but who cares...freedom of speech well for blacks and some anyways...

Sniper

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I gotta say something here-If white privilege is the problem then why is Detroit in shambles? Detroit is black run and 82% black. The state is going to take over and when they do the whole city will probably riot. I don't think White Privilege is the problem.
edit on 27-2-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by femalepharoe

hmmmm , makes me wonder about your personal life..but, i'll leave it at that.

The reality is that black people - specifically AFRICAN AMERICANS - paid the cost so that minorites / and other minorities would have "it good" in modern "super power" societies.

Yes - other people have been enslaved - however if you ever read a book on the subject - which I doubt - you would see that the specific form of African enslavement in America was quite unique as it was not indentured servitude, a conquered people, or even two cultures that were familiar with each other. Furthermore, at no other time was the history and language of a people purposely wiped out.

People think that it was just becuase of MLK's peacful movement that won the civil rights. However, as we can detail on this site more and less in every article ; people in power do not tend to just "give it up" because someone asked nicely.

The "occupation" saw peaceful blacks getting their heads bashed in , and then they saw the ones dressed in all black walking around with guns; and chose the path of least resistance.

Both were needed in order for an oppressed people to gain freedoms , which only happened in the 60s. So if you think racism, or white priveleage, is dead your smoking a little twenty twin twin.

Happy Black History Month!!

What this poster here is doing is questioning my "blackness" because I won't adhere to the party line. Dissent isn't allowed in black America. If you go against the groupthink they pull your black card. Excommunication
*ahem question my life all you want, but I'm sick of my people whining like little bitches when so many others have it much, much worse. That bothers you? I don't give a #. Time black America grew up

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Your dead right i mean, in 21st century america blacks are treated so badly, i mean in africa for comparisson they live like kings

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Here we go, super victimhood on the way..........

Yes - other people have been enslaved - however if you ever read a book on the subject - which I doubt -

oh get you, and I have no doubt your books are quite selective to suit yer agenda

you would see that the specific form of African enslavement in America was quite unique as it was not indentured servitude, a conquered people, or even two cultures that were familiar with each other.

this makes no difference, if I am slave it matters not if it was indentured servitude, a conquered people or even two cultures that were familiar with each other- you are still a slave, and your experience is the same.

For crying out loud I could say inter black slavery or arab slavery of blacks was worse as they were more adept at extermintating them when they had served their purpose.

Furthermore, at no other time in history, language, and family of a people purposely wiped out . Even when the great libraries were destroyed , the descendants of those people can still say ; "my family is from Egypt , I'm Egyptian" "I'm Irish" "My great grandpa is from Italy"

As if most people pay any great attention to their roots, and half the time I am pretty sure it is thrown out erroneously, like the suspciciously high number of whites who claim to be native american- it does not enhance the victimhood of someone in 2012, not one jot

Ask your typical African American were their family is from and they will say something to the effect of:
"I don't know...Virgina?"

A reasonable question and answer, if someone asks me where my family is from, I tell them where my parents hailed from

Power is a funny thing, most whites do not have "power", and power can be those in a group on a sidewalk at night intimidating someone of a different colour...........

So if you think racism, or white priveleage, is dead you must be smoking a little twenty twin twin.

Racism is alive and well in all races, with whites being on the receiving end of state sanctioned racism, violence, rape etc- and if you think my son has "privilege" because of the colour of his skin, you can sell your snake oil to someone else

This honky won't be taking your evil attempts at guilt and division

means nothing to anyone who is not a racist

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

I gotta say something here-If white privilege is the problem then why is Detroit in shambles? Detroit is black run and 82% black. The state is going to take over and when they do the whole city will probably riot. I don't think White Privilege is the problem.
edit on 27-2-2012 by antonia because: opps

I remember someone (who was priveleaged) in school talking about Katrina and saying
"Why didn't they just leave" . It never occured to them that some people had no where else to go , or no means to get there.

Detroit is in shambles because there are no jobs. There are no factories, its a dead ghost town - that has nothing to do with race ; as I fear we will all be there sooner or later.

What DOES have to do with priveleage is the fact that the people left in Detroit can not get out of it.

It is similar to the rural parts/ mountains here in America ; they are not black ; but they are not priveleaged. And thus they wait it out in their ghost towns in Appalachia.

Also , and this may be another conversation but it is relevant. We in the "truth" movement talk about MK ultra. You know the government commisioned brainwashing that leaves people with "handlers" and "split personalities"?

Black people have been undermined for hundreds of years. Diabetes that runs rapant is infact a by product to the fatty "useless" pork and meats that was left over for us. (if you ever seen roots there is a scene where a slave is literraly eating a tray of lard)

Recently , an NYPD cop just shot an unarmed 18 year old in his own bathroom...

...so , I would wager a months wage that collective black mental health is a little traumatized and disturbed.

Reperations should actually be therapy.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Pro Black.

does not mean "anti" white.

it inherently does (and anti asian)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Brainwashing is something to be concerened about , regardless of race; gender; or sexual orientation.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There seems to be somewhat of a trend going on in this thread.

I've noticed a most that are very adament that this is totally racist are people who don't live in the United States.

It may be that they are just ignorant of the history and the situation of black people in the United States.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join