It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices hit $5/gal in some places in USA!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't care how high gas prices go. Nothing will make me buy a hybrid or even the Chevy Volt. The manufacture of those pollute the world far more than the gasoline I buy does.

Hell, it won't even make me use public transit since it doesn't take me anywhere I would need to be any faster than a bicycle or my feet could.

Case in point: I was "selected" for jury duty in Riverside County, California. I had to report by 9:00 am. The earliest bus stops near me at 7:30 and takes approximately 3 hours to get to the depot in Riverside. No way to get there by their timeline unless I go the day before and get a motel room nearby... which they won't pay for, and the stipend they offer barely covers bus fare much less the room I'd have to buy just to ensure I could be there at the desired time. There's our political / government system at work... for the people nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
We pay 2.38 $ a litre on Crete Island, Greece.

That's almost

• 11 $ a UK Gallon
• 9 $ a US Gallon
edit on 21-2-2012 by Hellas because: Gallon sizes

I'm going to guess you don't have a 100 mile commute to work either.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

No I don't. I don't see why I would use a car for a 100 mile commute, though. Public transportation should do the trick here.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

If you have to commute 100 miles a day it might be cheaper to grow your own food and get a local job at the 711 for other basic necessities...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Hellas

If you have to commute 100 miles a day it might be cheaper to grow your own food and get a local job at the 711 for other basic necessities...

True!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I payed 8.41 USD per gallon last night here in Finland ,

just feels stupid to pay that much not to mention that i havent even filled her fully up in god knows how long ,..
but a car is a must have up here in the arctic ,

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

No I don't. I don't see why I would use a car for a 100 mile commute, though. Public transportation should do the trick here.

I work in construction, cellular / mobile phone sites, and 100 mile commutes are fairly common. There's no way I could transport the tools I use on public transports.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Hellas

LOL!!!

Um, not.

The local 7-11 is 9 miles from here. You won't likely work more than 5 hours a day, nor more than 4 days a week. So, 5*4=20 (hours a week)... 20*8.75=175 (dollars a week, pre-tax)... 175*4=700 (dollars a month, pre tax)... 700-10%=630... a studio apartment around here costs 700.

Your "solution" doesn't consider bus fare to get to the 7-11, the necessary "ground" for growing sufficient food, nor the costs of electricity, phone/Internet/TV even.

Your suggestion results in one being homeless... and starving.

edit on 2/21/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

No I don't. I don't see why I would use a car for a 100 mile commute, though. Public transportation should do the trick here

Short sigted. This statement proves that many people cannot see outside their own box.
edit on 21-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I recently had to commute over 40 miles through the mountains to work. I need a giant 4x4 for work so I was paying nearly 1,500.00 a month just for fuel. It took two years of effort to find a place that only took a ten minute commute.
My gasoline bill is now 200.00 a month. It is like getting free rent!

Getting close to where you make your money is going to be like getting a raise for most folks. Heck I don't think most people even factor in amount of lost paycheck paying for the wear and tear commuting puts on their cars.

People moved to cities to get closer to work, then they built suburbs, Damn we are a stupid lot.

edit on 21-2-2012 by SkyMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

No I don't. I don't see why I would use a car for a 100 mile commute, though. Public transportation should do the trick here

Short sigted. This statement proves that many people cannot see outside their own box.
edit on 21-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Don't worry stay were you are! The grammar police will be there any moment now!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That's average... We pay 1.25 a litre in Canada. So that's 5$ a gallon.

Our dollar is at par and we have the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world.

Fair.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Exactly.

It's so moronic for someone to point out someone else's mistakes yet make mistakes themself.

"Don't worry stay were you are!"
Should've been:
"Don't worry! Stay where you are!"
... or ...
"Don't worry; stay where you are!"

C'mon, really? "...were you are"? Beyond that, punctuation and sentence structure errors too?

I find it ironic, and quite humorous, that when pointing out your error of missing an "h" when spelling sighted, that Hellas missed an "H" when spelling "where". How's that for poetic justice?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

wow that was on purpose!!

What's wrong with you people??
Seriously.

@Lady Tell me what's your problem with me pointing to public transportation?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

No problem with public transportation, I use it and am grateful that it is accessible and useful where I live, now. The flaw in your statement is that it's not useful or accessible in many locations throughout the US.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

An almost graceful recovery....

They say it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission, and with lack of either claim intent.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

No problem with public transportation, I use it and am grateful that it is accessible and useful where I live, now. The flaw in your statement is that it's not useful or accessible in many locations throughout the US.

Well I don't know that. I posted our prices in Greece and that I would prefer public transportation, since our prices are way higher than yours

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yep theres your problem right there:

nor the costs of electricity, phone/Internet/TV even.

These are not essential or necessary.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

I can definitely attest to the usability of public transportation in the USA. Oft one must get up too early so as to meet the bus, ride the bus to meet the train, take the train to the depot, board a bus and arrive at a stop nearly a mile from work... and repeat said in reverse to get home; that's a "good" situation. Is the added expense of driving one's self to and from work justifiable? Is saving four to six hours a day justifiable?

More time to be with the family by driving as opposed to taking "public" transportation is not a worth the expense?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join